First Prev
of 3
Next Last
guest

Paragould, AR

#1 Dec 8, 2012
Do not shop here. Goodwill is not a nonprofit organization and they DO NOT do charity work. Everytime you donate items to this business you are GIVING them their stock. Boycott this place. It is nothing but a lucrative owned by a man who thought up a clever name.
guest

Paragould, AR

#3 Dec 8, 2012
Duh. That is why is it called "Goodwill". You give them your stuff so others can have a chance on getting something decent at a low price. You can get a receipt and turn it in to your taxes.
just to say

Dallas, TX

#4 Dec 8, 2012
guest wrote:
Do not shop here. Goodwill is not a nonprofit organization and they DO NOT do charity work. Everytime you donate items to this business you are GIVING them their stock. Boycott this place. It is nothing but a lucrative owned by a man who thought up a clever name.
i understand that they need to have stock to run a business, but as you said they are supposed to be non profit. You can Google their financial status, you would be amazed as to what they receive other than a paycheck! Check it out, I don't donate to them, red cross, or mission outreach. I would rather my donation go to save a child's life, such as St. Judges or Are. Children's Hospital. I understand the way you feel.
just to say

Dallas, TX

#5 Dec 8, 2012
just to say wrote:
<quoted text>i understand that they need to have stock to run a business, but as you said they are supposed to be non profit. You can Google their financial status, you would be amazed as to what they receive other than a paycheck! Check it out, I don't donate to them, red cross, or mission outreach. I would rather my donation go to save a child's life, such as St. Judges or Are. Children's Hospital. I understand the way you feel.
that is supposed to be St.Jude's. Also i wasnt referring ti the employees i was referring to the CEO when i commented about the other things they receive. When it comes to clothing i would rather find a person in need and give it to them
guest

Paragould, AR

#6 Dec 8, 2012
You cannot turn it in on your taxes. Goodwill is a for-profit business..not a non-profit. They are not affiliated with any charity. Goodwill is a clever name used to make people think it is a charity.
guest wrote:
Duh. That is why is it called "Goodwill". You give them your stuff so others can have a chance on getting something decent at a low price. You can get a receipt and turn it in to your taxes.
checked it out

Lonoke, AR

#7 Dec 8, 2012
Federal law permits Goodwill® donors to claim tax deductions for many financial contributions and for donated clothing and household items in good, used condition or better.

http://www.goodwill.org/get-involved/donate/t...
maggie may

Jonesboro, AR

#8 Dec 8, 2012
Well if you can't turn it in on your taxes you better call and tell Jackson Hewitt and H and R Block. I have had both these companies do my taxes for around 20 years now and I take receipts in EVERY year. I have never had a problem that is unless the rules with Goodwill have changed. By the way is the Paragould store any good? The one in Jonesboro use to be descent but about a year ago went down hill and now the new store is RIDICULOUS! It looks like it all needs to go in the dumpster not to mention the prices are almost as high as a department store. I won't go back to the jonesboro store.
guest

Paragould, AR

#9 Dec 8, 2012
guest wrote:
You cannot turn it in on your taxes. Goodwill is a for-profit business..not a non-profit. They are not affiliated with any charity. Goodwill is a clever name used to make people think it is a charity.
<quoted text>
Yes you can because I have done it. I donated all my husbands outgrown suits and sports jackets to the one in Jonesboro. Abilities Unlimited does the same thing.

I do agree about the Red Cross. I will never donate a thing to them.
Wondering

Ballwin, MO

#10 Dec 8, 2012
How do you donate clothing and items to St. Jude or Red Cross? Do they have a similar outlet?

Abilities Unlimited employes the disabled. I thought Goodwill did, too.

Since Abilities Unlimited moved downtown I don't think it does as well. The parking is terrible there. A woman that works there told me when they rented the place they thought the parking lot in back of the store went with the store but was told it did not and they had been asked not to park there.
guest

Paragould, AR

#11 Dec 8, 2012
You can use an in kind donation receipt for items you give, but you cannot use receipts for items you've purchased there. Dumbasses.
checked it out wrote:
Federal law permits Goodwill® donors to claim tax deductions for many financial contributions and for donated clothing and household items in good, used condition or better.
http://www.goodwill.org/get-involved/donate/t...
guest

Paragould, AR

#12 Dec 8, 2012
Abilities Unlimited continues to employee intellectually disabled individuals. My brother works there.
lookin

United States

#13 Dec 8, 2012
I work there and yes they are a nonprofit organization. They employee challenged and people that need employment experience that are having trouble finding a job.
good smell

West Helena, AR

#14 Dec 9, 2012
I shop there sometimes I've gotten black label polo for three buck in perfect shape one had the tagsstill on them.if i can savethat much money on looking good i dont care how much the ceo makes its over 12million a year
guest

Paragould, AR

#15 Dec 9, 2012
Research the company you work for.
lookin wrote:
I work there and yes they are a nonprofit organization. They employee challenged and people that need employment experience that are having trouble finding a job.
guest

Paragould, AR

#16 Dec 9, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>You can use an in kind donation receipt for items you give, but you cannot use receipts for items you've purchased there. Dumbasses.
That's funny.
Wow

United States

#17 Dec 9, 2012
I just did a little reading up on this and the first poster is right. The profits are used to open more stores and fund "employee training". I always thought money from the goodwill stores went to local charity but it does not. If you want to help someone by donating, take your items to a church or other organization. Goodwill doesn't help anyone but the CEO that runs it.
guest

Paragould, AR

#18 Dec 9, 2012
Thank you. It's nice to see that someone has enough intellect to research a subject instead of speaking empty statements.
Wow wrote:
I just did a little reading up on this and the first poster is right. The profits are used to open more stores and fund "employee training". I always thought money from the goodwill stores went to local charity but it does not. If you want to help someone by donating, take your items to a church or other organization. Goodwill doesn't help anyone but the CEO that runs it.
Whatever

Hot Springs National Park, AR

#19 Dec 9, 2012
guest wrote:
You cannot turn it in on your taxes. Goodwill is a for-profit business..not a non-profit. They are not affiliated with any charity. Goodwill is a clever name used to make people think it is a charity.
<quoted text>
You can to turn it in on your taxes moron! It is a charity becaus you are donating the items. Heck if I donated my clothes to Jim bob doodle butt and he wrote me a donation slip I could file that on my taxes too. Anytime you donate a item or money you can claim it on your taxes.
but wait

United States

#20 Dec 9, 2012
If they're helping people gain jobs and job experience/skills..... Then I'm ok with donating stuff there. People have jobs because of this place and God knows we need them
guest

Paragould, AR

#21 Dec 9, 2012
guest wrote:
Thank you. It's nice to see that someone has enough intellect to research a subject instead of speaking empty statements.
<quoted text>
Then you were wrong for thinking weren't you. I never ever gave it a thought when I donated. I just figured it would help someone buy something nice really cheap.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paragould Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Game,let try it wanna?? 49 min luci 6
One word game (Sep '09) 50 min luci 1,510
Have min dashound to give to good home 50 min Phil Brooks 4
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 52 min luci 3,689
Keep A Word - Drop A Word (Dec '09) 55 min luci 15,885
Double---Fun---Word---Game (Mar '11) 57 min luci 7,555
Will the Paragould School Board 1 hr Informed 159
Paragould Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Paragould People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Paragould News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Paragould

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:23 pm PST

NBC Sports 2:23PM
Ogletree, Laurinaitis 1-2 in tackles entering finale - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 5:50 PM
Complete Preview of Rams vs. Seahawks
Bleacher Report12:06 AM
Indianapolis Colts vs. Tennessee Titans: Complete Week 17 Preview for Tennessee
Bleacher Report 2:12 AM
St. Louis Rams vs. Seattle Seahawks: Complete Week 17 Preview for Seattle
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Colts' Complete Week 17 Preview vs. Titans