First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

Gregory, AR

#1 Oct 25, 2008
The subject of my frustration is food stamps. Now I understand that there are people out there that really do need food stamps. However, there are people out there, and you know who you, who abuse the privilege, which in turn makes it difficult for people who actually need the food stamps to obtain them. Having said this, I strongly believe that new restrictions should be considered concerning the various items that people are allowed to purchase with their cards. Purchases should be limited to items of necessity such as meat, eggs, vegetables, milk, and bread. Instead of items such as chips, sodas, cookies and junk food. I say this because day after day I witness person after person use their food stamps on junk food and then pull out a load of cash and buy a bunch of cigarettes! Give me a break! They have enough money to buy cigarettes but not enough to pay for their own groceries!? I've even seen a few drive off in nice cars right after bitching about how expensive the groceries were, but that's besides the point. How can you bitch about something that you don't even have to pay for!? You have no right to bitch about it! I work my ass off for what I get and I don't ask for a penny from the government. I've never had anything handed to me and yet here are these douche bags complaining about how much something costs when they don't even have to pay for. It's my taxes that pays for your food that the government takes out of my hard earned check! Well I just have one thing to say to you people. FUCK YOU! Sorry for the harsh words but that's the nicest way to put it. The truth hurts. Now for all of you that comment on this who don't agree with me, you have a right to your opinion, as do I. However there is no way that you are going to sway me on my opinion and I did not write this to agrue with anyone, just to express an opinion. However I would like to hear everyones opinion on this subject. I look forward to seeing them.

Gregory, AR

#2 Oct 25, 2008
I can understand your frustrations. I do receive food stamps at this time, and do buy some "Non healthy" things like chips, cola, etc. Chips are for school lunches, and I buy a 12 pack a month for myself. I think just because you receive food stamps, it doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to purchase these items, within a certain limit. So I do agree that there needs to be some restrictions to it.

I've worked at a gas station in the past that took food stamps. People would come in and spend $50 on candy bars, 4-6 twelve packs of Coke, Ice Cream etc. It would get frustrating at the time.

I do wish they allowed some money for toilet paper, and necessary items like that. But it'll never happen!

I think one way to restrict some purchases would be to restrict places that do accept these cards. There's no reasons for them to be used at gas stations for example! Plus maybe educate food stamp recipents in some way about smart shopping. Like buying foods in bulk, and packaging them up. That I do with my own money, or on food stamps.

It's a touchy subject either way. I can see all sides of it.
usc

Lubbock, TX

#3 Oct 25, 2008
hell yeah! thats the truth
UmmaGumma

Paragould, AR

#4 Oct 25, 2008
observantcitizen wrote:
The subject of my frustration is food stamps. Now I understand that there are people out there that really do need food stamps. However, there are people out there, and you know who you, who abuse the privilege, which in turn makes it difficult for people who actually need the food stamps to obtain them. Having said this, I strongly believe that new restrictions should be considered concerning the various items that people are allowed to purchase with their cards. Purchases should be limited to items of necessity such as meat, eggs, vegetables, milk, and bread. Instead of items such as chips, sodas, cookies and junk food. I say this because day after day I witness person after person use their food stamps on junk food and then pull out a load of cash and buy a bunch of cigarettes! Give me a break! They have enough money to buy cigarettes but not enough to pay for their own groceries!? I've even seen a few drive off in nice cars right after bitching about how expensive the groceries were, but that's besides the point. How can you bitch about something that you don't even have to pay for!? You have no right to bitch about it! I work my ass off for what I get and I don't ask for a penny from the government. I've never had anything handed to me and yet here are these douche bags complaining about how much something costs when they don't even have to pay for. It's my taxes that pays for your food that the government takes out of my hard earned check! Well I just have one thing to say to you people. FUCK YOU! Sorry for the harsh words but that's the nicest way to put it. The truth hurts. Now for all of you that comment on this who don't agree with me, you have a right to your opinion, as do I. However there is no way that you are going to sway me on my opinion and I did not write this to agrue with anyone, just to express an opinion. However I would like to hear everyones opinion on this subject. I look forward to seeing them.
I, too, agree with your frustration. I especially detest those that abuse the system by selling their cards for money or trading them for drugs or by providing false information in order to get a larger amount.

However, there may be different reasons why people buy junk food. I receive food stamps because of a REAL disability, meaning that my condition is so debilitating that I have days where I cannot do anything. Anyways, I can't drink milk because I'm lactose intolerant and I can't drink orange juice or any other juice because of acid reflux. Diet Dr. Pepper is the only thing that my stomach agrees with.

Also, I purchase sugary snacks because of a condition known as hypoglycemia. Sometimes my blood sugar gets so low that I start feeling weak and shaky. Sugary snacks boost my blood sugar to a normal level. Also, my debilitating condition causes me to suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome. Therefore, I purchase many items that are prefixed or that can be thrown in the microwave because I'm too fatigued to cook. Lastly, I have tried purchasing foods that were healthier, and guess what? My food stamp dollar did not go far. Healthy foods are much more expensive. Junk food is much cheaper.
poppyseed

United States

#5 Oct 25, 2008
totally agree. It makes me sick to see these idiots getting 400 dollars worth of groceries...then walking out and lighting up a cigarette...with a baby on their hip too. sick bums.
receiving benfits

Gary, IN

#6 Oct 25, 2008
im a mother of 5 that gets food stamps i think that is it judgemental that you can judge someone that mis uses there food stamps benefits as for people using them wrongly for drugs and such yes its wrong but what they choose to buy is there business not yours...many familes rely on these food stamps to make ends meet yes there are people who abuse the system but food stamps arent as easy to get as it use to be and they DO MODIFY and adjust according to income in the home i also work to and get benfits for my kids but i dont mis use them either lets not be so hasty to tell someone f -u when your not in those people's shoes...dont judge everyone who receives them ok....lets hope you never have to have help like us its someone what humilating to have to go to dfs and have your life written down like a book just to get help ....its not all eacy to just walk in there there are alot of things that you have to show proof of and take in a monthly basis ...
hometown girl

Carmi, IL

#7 Oct 25, 2008
I agree it does get irritating seeing all the junk bought with food stamps.Although a few treats are ok in my opinion.I dont think stations or stores should take them for pizzas,sub sandwiches and hot lunch meals.And yes the taxes working people pay in IS paying for what is bought with them.If you need them,fine,no shame in that.But all people are saying is buy more real food not quick foods mainly and quit using them to eat out.Dont know about others but it is honestly a treat to get my kids a happy meal once a month.Now thats a true treat.Most working people cant afford anything extra.So to those using food stamps,STOP buying so much junk then saying well im the one paying for it because your not.

Alexander, AR

#8 Oct 26, 2008
well my opinion is the same as observant ive worked in a grocery store for many years and i c the same thing they said.. but when we needed them they wouldnt help us said we made too much even though husband wasnt working cause of surgery and couldnt work.. im stopping at this because this subject really pisses me off and i dont want to be in a bad mood today.. all i can say is i have contacted blanch lincoln about this matter and i suggest everyone else should also... then maybe we can get something done about this..
Recieving

United States

#9 Oct 26, 2008
I just this week starting recieving food stamps. But, just like many of you I have always been against food stamps, or other government help, unless completely needed. But, I also believe that if a person is working and/or going to school, then they should be able to recieve the help they need, and yes some do abuse this, but some do not. I myself have two children, work, and go to school, with the absence of the father, Food Stamps are greatly going to help us out. And as far as me using YOUR tax money, well honey I work too, so part of that is my tax money. And yes, I do drive a newer nicer vehical, that was purchased two years ago, that was before one of my children and the price of everything going up, then I could afford it, now I can't.

United States

#10 Oct 26, 2008
I also recently started recieving food stamps, I never would have believed 5 years agp that I would need them, but things have changed. I've always looked down on people who used the system, and thought I'd be too proud to accept help, but now I need it and I'm very thankfull it's there. For the people that say it's our tax money paying for it, well I've worked and payed in for 25 years and feel if I need it I've payed my part. I also agree it would be nice if it payed for toilet paper, detergent, shampoo..you get what I mean. As for the part about using it at gas stations, I was unaware it could be used anywhere except at grocery stores.

“Opinionated Momma”

Level 1

Since: Sep 08

Paragould

#11 Oct 26, 2008
Just to solve any misinformed statements, you can not buy hot meals with foodstamps... They are meant to be used to buy any kind of food that is to be prepared at home. If you want someone to limit what is being purchased with foodstamps, then write a letter to your congressman. Complaining on Topix is no way to handle it.

Many will believe that you are being judgemental based on what you have seen! And there are some who will agree whole-heartedly... And there are some who sell their ebt cards to buy gas, pay bills, even buy drugs... Those are the ones who are abusing the system!

What about the families that have full time mimimum wage jobs and still can't make ends meet... Their taxes are paying for their foodstamps.

I believe that anyone who needs them should be able to have them if they apply and follow the process. But I don't believe they should be limited to only buying healthy foods...

Everyone has a sweet tooth! Why should someone be declined their right to a Hershey's Bar just because they receive assistance...

Flip the script... How about rich people only being allowed one vehicle.. They are polluting the earth with their double-garage-space-taking-SUV 's... And what about going to the salon and tanning.. They are killing themselves with tanning beds...

Both sides to every story... Don't judge others...
its b s

Paragould, AR

#12 Oct 26, 2008
i also work at a place that takes ebt cards,last week there was 3 people in line that were together and had separate carts,they bought nothing but chips dips and cases after cases of sodas,when they left certain brands had to be restocked cause they bought so much,also one person bought over 50.00 in candy and another 35.00,thats crazy,i think the dhs should look at servailane cameras and the ones getting more than just a few snacks should have their stamps reduced a lot or cut off completly,this is bs
Loop Holes

United States

#13 Oct 26, 2008
There will always be people who get FoodStamps who dont need them. They dont check things out good enough at the DHS offices. I personaly know people who have gotten Food Stamps just to buy T-Bone's, chips, candy and high dollar shit you wouldnt normaly buy because you know its over priced!
Also around Christmas time you can buy the candy sets with food stamps. That dont seem right to me. Like the M&M dispensers, hot sauce sets, popcorn-tins, there is a bunch of that stuff you can buy because they code it in as food. Don't know if everyone knows that, and some people wouldnt buy that stuff if they did because some people who get the Stamps need them for real food!
hometown person

Carmi, IL

#14 Oct 26, 2008
Opinionated Momma wrote:
Just to solve any misinformed statements, you can not buy hot meals with foodstamps... They are meant to be used to buy any kind of food that is to be prepared at home. If you want someone to limit what is being purchased with foodstamps, then write a letter to your congressman. Complaining on Topix is no way to handle it.
Many will believe that you are being judgemental based on what you have seen! And there are some who will agree whole-heartedly... And there are some who sell their ebt cards to buy gas, pay bills, even buy drugs... Those are the ones who are abusing the system!
What about the families that have full time mimimum wage jobs and still can't make ends meet... Their taxes are paying for their foodstamps.
I believe that anyone who needs them should be able to have them if they apply and follow the process. But I don't believe they should be limited to only buying healthy foods...
Everyone has a sweet tooth! Why should someone be declined their right to a Hershey's Bar just because they receive assistance...
Flip the script... How about rich people only being allowed one vehicle.. They are polluting the earth with their double-garage-space-taking-SUV 's... And what about going to the salon and tanning.. They are killing themselves with tanning beds...
Both sides to every story... Don't judge others...
yes you can.look at stickers on hot foods in delis,the already cooked pizzas and you will see stickers that say food stampable on them.also go to your local quickmarts and spend a couple hours watching or better yet ask them.i know ones who do that stuff all the time.

Gregory, AR

#15 Oct 26, 2008
hometown person wrote:
<quoted text>yes you can.look at stickers on hot foods in delis,the already cooked pizzas and you will see stickers that say food stampable on them.also go to your local quickmarts and spend a couple hours watching or better yet ask them.i know ones who do that stuff all the time.
Where is this stuff at? What stores? I've never seen it. I know at WalMart, you can't purchase any of the hot foods with your food stamp card.

Is it the cash benefits they're using on their EBT card? Some people get food stamps, and cash, and it's all on the same card
hometown person

Carmi, IL

#16 Oct 26, 2008
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is this stuff at? What stores? I've never seen it. I know at WalMart, you can't purchase any of the hot foods with your food stamp card.
Is it the cash benefits they're using on their EBT card? Some people get food stamps, and cash, and it's all on the same card
duh...im aware of that.i know because i have saw it in exxons that have subways,deli departments in stores and i do know exactly what im talking about.i know someone who does it all the time and no its not me.call the places and ask if you dont believe me.

Since: Oct 08

Jonesboro/Trumann

#17 Oct 26, 2008
I agree there are people out there that abuse them. But, folks like me that has had to have them work hard and pay my taxes and don't abuse them. I have a nice vehicle but its a 2002 so how old is that...6yrs old!...It looks nice and rides nice because I take care of it. I use to be the same way when I worked in a grocery store seeing ppl use foodstamps with handfuls of cash, driving nice cars, and wearing name brand clothes. I would think why are they on food stamps...until I had to get on food stamps because I couldn't get work and my husband couldn't do it by his self..then I felt really bad thinking that because looking at me you wouldn't think I needed them but I did that handful of cash I had was to pay rent, light bill, and car note. I had to have them to get by. I do agree like I said before some ppl abuse them I have seen people abuse them but next time you see someone buy that six pack of coke or candy think about this that might be the only way their children get that sweet..if they weren't one the stamps they wouldn't be able to buy their children that treat. They may look like they are abusing but they might not be.
fedup

Gideon, MO

#18 Oct 26, 2008
observantcitizen I agree with you 100%, I will even go further than that, how about the ones on government assistance because they cannot or CHOOSES not to afford groceries, but you will not see them without a cell phone, cable television, all the other non neccessary items, such as internet to get on the computer and brag about getting foodstamps.
i guarantee 85% of the people getting WELFARE is just L A Z Y........

Gregory, AR

#19 Oct 26, 2008
hometown person wrote:
<quoted text>duh...im aware of that.i know because i have saw it in exxons that have subways,deli departments in stores and i do know exactly what im talking about.i know someone who does it all the time and no its not me.call the places and ask if you dont believe me.
You still have not named this stores that do this. I want to know

“Opinionated Momma”

Level 1

Since: Sep 08

Paragould

#20 Oct 26, 2008
hometown person wrote:
<quoted text>yes you can.look at stickers on hot foods in delis,the already cooked pizzas and you will see stickers that say food stampable on them.also go to your local quickmarts and spend a couple hours watching or better yet ask them.i know ones who do that stuff all the time.
Those companies/businesses that are doing are doing it illegally... Someone might want to contact their Human Services Department... It is strictly against the law to use the benefits for already prepared food.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paragould Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Good job Candace 53 min Told you 1
Paragould Goodwill New Store (Oct '12) 53 min Fido 30
Samantha Paige 2 hr Unknown000 2
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 3 hr Reality Check 42,119
kait 4 hr Jean 10
Cheryl is wrong 12 hr guest 16
ar tag 605vhi driver alex ,Michael jayce Millig... 12 hr rdk neighbor 1

Paragould Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance