Is the Paragould Chamber of Commerce bad?

Posted in the Paragould Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Resident

Paragould, AR

#1 Nov 18, 2012
Isn't the Paragould Regional Chamber of Commerce basically a branch of the Republican Party like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce?

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is little more than a union of employers (against employees), which is ironic since so many of their members oppose their employees unionizing themselves.

Does the Paragould Regional Chamber of Commerce contribute the money it collects to lobby and campaign against worker's rights and benefits like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce (and give a percentage of their membership fees to them)?

The Paragould Regional Chamber of Commerce has this warm and fuzzy local public relations feel, yet no one knows what it actually works to do in the larger framework of society.

I don't shop anywhere that has that member sticker or certificate displayed.

Paragould, AR

#2 Nov 18, 2012
Which workers rights does the US Chamber of Commerce oppose?
Resident

Paragould, AR

#3 Nov 18, 2012
guest wrote:
Which workers rights does the US Chamber of Commerce oppose?
Take a look at one of those large laminated posters of employee rights that employers are required to post in the workplace -- as the largest lobbying group in America, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is against virtually every right you will find there. There are against minimum wage laws. They are against OSHA standards (workplace safety regulations). They are against the EPA (evironmental standards for employers pumping out cancer causing chemical wastes without regulation, etc.). They are against the Family Medical Leave Act. They are against Social Security. They are against overtime wage laws. They support "free trade" and outsorcing. They are for immigration flooding the workplaces with cheap labor to drive down wages.

The question should be what employee rights does the U.S. Chamber of Commerce support? The answer is virtually none except symbollic ones, because they are a lobbying group of employers against workers.

Paragould, AR

#4 Nov 18, 2012
Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Take a look at one of those large laminated posters of employee rights that employers are required to post in the workplace -- as the largest lobbying group in America, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is against virtually every right you will find there. There are against minimum wage laws. They are against OSHA standards (workplace safety regulations). They are against the EPA (evironmental standards for employers pumping out cancer causing chemical wastes without regulation, etc.). They are against the Family Medical Leave Act. They are against Social Security. They are against overtime wage laws. They support "free trade" and outsorcing. They are for immigration flooding the workplaces with cheap labor to drive down wages.
The question should be what employee rights does the U.S. Chamber of Commerce support? The answer is virtually none except symbollic ones, because they are a lobbying group of employers against workers.
I wonder how many thousands of dollars it costs to be a member of the chamber of commerce? I bet they deduct that out of what they would have payed their employees over minimum wage. Or they pass that cost on to their customers. Or both. All to do the opposite of support their employees. I can't imagine the employers eat the cost. They don't on anything else. At lest that's what republicans claim when talking about taxes and health care and everything else. Maybe this issue is close to their heart. The only one. Other than money. And maybe Jesus.
well

United States

#5 Nov 18, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder how many thousands of dollars it costs to be a member of the chamber of commerce? I bet they deduct that out of what they would have payed their employees over minimum wage. Or they pass that cost on to their customers. Or both. All to do the opposite of support their employees. I can't imagine the employers eat the cost. They don't on anything else. At lest that's what republicans claim when talking about taxes and health care and everything else. Maybe this issue is close to their heart. The only one. Other than money. And maybe Jesus.
A few years ago, for a small business it cost about $200 to join. I couldn't afford it.. Basically what I thought the local chamber was pretty much a clique of "affluent citizens of Paragould" and I'm pretty much a nobody with a little store. And in 7 years of business, not a single customer has asked me if I'm a chamber member. But, I think they do charity work and all so that's good.. I just chose my own charities to help out (anonymously when I can because I don't like the attention)
Adam Smith

Paragould, AR

#6 Nov 18, 2012
Hey, Dumbaxx,

Why don't you join? An individual membership is only $100 . It's not a secret society...it is there to promote local car dealers, florists, realtors, shoe stores, etc. They do SHOP PARAGOULD promotions, coordinate PARTNERS IN EDUCATION in conjunction with the local school systems, etc.

It's basically like Rotary or Kiwanis, not the secret police!

Sheesh! Why don't YOU get off your whining tail, risk your money to start a business and become a member. Otherwise go back to your comics and Area 51 forums!!!
Resident wrote:
Isn't the Paragould Regional Chamber of Commerce basically a branch of the Republican Party like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce?
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is little more than a union of employers (against employees), which is ironic since so many of their members oppose their employees unionizing themselves.
Does the Paragould Regional Chamber of Commerce contribute the money it collects to lobby and campaign against worker's rights and benefits like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce (and give a percentage of their membership fees to them)?
The Paragould Regional Chamber of Commerce has this warm and fuzzy local public relations feel, yet no one knows what it actually works to do in the larger framework of society.
I don't shop anywhere that has that member sticker or certificate displayed.
real

Mckinney, TX

#7 Nov 18, 2012
Adam Smith wrote:
Hey, Dumbaxx,
Why don't you join? An individual membership is only $100 . It's not a secret society...it is there to promote local car dealers, florists, realtors, shoe stores, etc. They do SHOP PARAGOULD promotions, coordinate PARTNERS IN EDUCATION in conjunction with the local school systems, etc.
It's basically like Rotary or Kiwanis, not the secret police!
Sheesh! Why don't YOU get off your whining tail, risk your money to start a business and become a member. Otherwise go back to your comics and Area 51 forums!!!
<quoted text>
so basically your saying they dont do shat!!! RIGHT?
Proud Member

Paragould, AR

#8 Nov 18, 2012
Yes, it's horrible! They wear golden robes, and make me put a MEMBER decal on the door of my business! Oh the horror! Then, they SPOTLIGHTED my business in the newsletter, and even cut a poor defenseless ribbon at my business! What demons!!!

How dare they try to promote our local companies, and recruit new businesses to come to Paragould. Why, the nerve!!!
it time for a recall

Jonesboro, AR

#9 Nov 18, 2012
Proud Member wrote:
Yes, it's horrible! They wear golden robes, and make me put a MEMBER decal on the door of my business! Oh the horror! Then, they SPOTLIGHTED my business in the newsletter, and even cut a poor defenseless ribbon at my business! What demons!!!
How dare they try to promote our local companies, and recruit new businesses to come to Paragould. Why, the nerve!!!
Sue and the Mayor has over 1 millions of your tax dollars and doing nothing but paying off their speck building. The voter need to recall the tax.
Ray Lewis

Paragould, AR

#10 Nov 18, 2012
Isn't your chamber also the one who told Caterpillar they couldn't build a factory here. Said their pay was going to hurt the local factories. Wonder if they have any say on competition for cable and internet. Sure don't want PLW&C to have competition.

“Ignorance is not Patriotism.”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#11 Nov 18, 2012
The Chamber is a branch of the Republican Party and is a Union of business owners and the main purpose is to keep wages as low as possible and business profits high.

Right now they are fighting a ten cent an hour increase in minimum wage in Missouri. Way to support workers Chamber!!!!

Euless, TX

#12 Nov 18, 2012
Dumb

Paragould, AR

#13 Nov 19, 2012
Joe Higgins was the only good thing about the Chamber. He was an ass but he got results. Sue McGowan doesn't do anything. We have has no new industries move to town since she took over. Most of the "committees" are just people sitting around patting each other on the back for all the "good" they think they do. Being a member of the Chamber does absolutely nothing for you.
SIr Issac Newton

United States

#14 Nov 19, 2012
I guess that's why the Chamber ONLY has about 700 member businesses that willingly join and maintain their membership.
I guess ARI doesn't count. Smith Drug Company doesn't exist.
Which committees were YOU on? Oh, I forgot, you don't really do anything yourself, just complain about those that do.
I can see why you didn't get much out of yoyr Chamber membership. What you put in affects what you get out.
Guest wrote:
Joe Higgins was the only good thing about the Chamber. He was an ass but he got results. Sue McGowan doesn't do anything. We have has no new industries move to town since she took over. Most of the "committees" are just people sitting around patting each other on the back for all the "good" they think they do. Being a member of the Chamber does absolutely nothing for you.
Downtown

United States

#15 Nov 19, 2012
No, we are not fighting anything in Missouri. We have nothing to do with Missouri.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Trust me, there are lots of democrats in the Chamber.
Buckwheat Rules wrote:
The Chamber is a branch of the Republican Party and is a Union of business owners and the main purpose is to keep wages as low as possible and business profits high.
Right now they are fighting a ten cent an hour increase in minimum wage in Missouri. Way to support workers Chamber!!!!

Paragould, AR

#16 Nov 19, 2012
SIr Issac Newton wrote:
I guess that's why the Chamber ONLY has about 700 member businesses that willingly join and maintain their membership.
I guess ARI doesn't count. Smith Drug Company doesn't exist.
Which committees were YOU on? Oh, I forgot, you don't really do anything yourself, just complain about those that do.
I can see why you didn't get much out of yoyr Chamber membership. What you put in affects what you get out.
<quoted text>
ARI was here during the Joe Higgins days. I'll give you Smith Drug though. AND, I do not have a chamber membership nor have I ever had one. I do not own a business but I am very well versed in what goes on at the Chamber. Tell me what they do for businesses? You get your name in a directory and a ribbon cutting if you are a new business.
truth

United States

#17 Nov 19, 2012
Ray Lewis wrote:
Isn't your chamber also the one who told Caterpillar they couldn't build a factory here. Said their pay was going to hurt the local factories. Wonder if they have any say on competition for cable and internet. Sure don't want PLW&C to have competition.
this is a good ol boy town...they are going to do whats best for them first...and if it helps others thats good..but if it doesnt...then its just business.
WPS

United States

#18 Nov 19, 2012
Are you people for REAL!! I was told this thread was running and came to look to be sure because I thought folks wouldn't stoop so low as to criticize the one element in NE Ar that had kept Paragould head and shoulders above the other competition with communities similar in our size. Come on folks- think Tenneco, Utility, ARI. Where would you- your co/ workers and others be without these employers in our town. This is kind of like talking bad about farmers- just don't do it with your mouth or in this case pockets full.
it time for a recall

Jonesboro, AR

#19 Nov 19, 2012
Guest wrote:
you are so right. Sue and the mayor is taking your tax dollars and partying. They have 1.1 million that the mayor wants to save don't ask me why. But, it is true. Joe Higgins was great. but the mayor did not care for him he could not control him . the mayor tell the city council how to vote.

Paragould, AR

#20 Nov 19, 2012
You are wrong about the partying.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paragould Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
josh at monroe 4 min guest 8
Miranda Pieri (Oct '12) 8 min damn_shut_up 35
Child's book "Do you want to play with my balls?" 1 hr Ronnie 4
Bob Hoepfl 1 hr Resident 1
Low life piece of garbage Dakota Quinn 2 hr Never going back 10
PHS bully problem 2 hr phs Graduate 3
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 2 hr Uncle Willard 30,838
More from around the web

Paragould People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE