Parental rights of drug addicted parents

Parental rights of drug addicted parents

Posted in the Paragould Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 08

Paragould, Arkansas

#1 May 23, 2008
Should parents who are addicted to drugs have any rights to thier kids after they are taken away from them? Should we allow a child to be placed back in a home where we know there is rampent drug abuse? How do you feel about this? Shoudl we keep allowing drug addicted mothers to give birth to drug addicted babies?

“Cant we all just get along”

Since: Apr 08

Paragould AR

#2 May 23, 2008
I do wish they would just get their tubes tied instead of continuing to bring more drug addicted children into the world or worse losing the child (or fetus if thats what you would rather call it)bc they cant put down the drugs while pregnant.
I could fill 3 long pages with my opinions.
insider info

Paragould, AR

#3 May 23, 2008
Clearing the air wrote:
Should parents who are addicted to drugs have any rights to thier kids after they are taken away from them? Should we allow a child to be placed back in a home where we know there is rampent drug abuse? How do you feel about this? Shoudl we keep allowing drug addicted mothers to give birth to drug addicted babies?
I'm afraid I'm all to familiar with the issue. If parents are active drug users then they are not in the right frame of mind to take care of their children. Then IF, the parents get off and stay off the drugs, then there might be hope for the kids.

Then the issue about drug addicted mothers, if a baby is born with drugs in it's system, especially meth there is what is known as the "Garrett's Law" which requires those babies to automatically come into foster care. Tim Wooldridge came up with that law, and I think that it is wonderful.

“Cant we all just get along”

Since: Apr 08

Paragould AR

#4 May 23, 2008
insider info wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm afraid I'm all to familiar with the issue. If parents are active drug users then they are not in the right frame of mind to take care of their children. Then IF, the parents get off and stay off the drugs, then there might be hope for the kids.
Then the issue about drug addicted mothers, if a baby is born with drugs in it's system, especially meth there is what is known as the "Garrett's Law" which requires those babies to automatically come into foster care. Tim Wooldridge came up with that law, and I think that it is wonderful.
It is wonderful! I think it wasnt just Tim that was involved with that law. I have been personally affected by this law. I have relatives that now have a lil brother & sister because of the Garrets law. I am so happy to see these children out of the drug infested home they couldve grown up in.

Since: May 08

Paragould, Arkansas

#5 May 24, 2008
insider info wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm afraid I'm all to familiar with the issue. If parents are active drug users then they are not in the right frame of mind to take care of their children. Then IF, the parents get off and stay off the drugs, then there might be hope for the kids.
Then the issue about drug addicted mothers, if a baby is born with drugs in it's system, especially meth there is what is known as the "Garrett's Law" which requires those babies to automatically come into foster care. Tim Wooldridge came up with that law, and I think that it is wonderful.
I think that it is a great law too but it is not always put into use. And even if the kids are put into foster care and the mother supposedly gets off drugs, she gets another chance? I am talking about repeat offenders, morethan one baby born addicted to drugs. Somehow our legal sysytem is failing to take care of these kids. And let's say even if the kids are taken away from the parent they still have the right to see the kids even then. Even though the courts know that the kids are in better surroundings with the foster parents. It hink we should have sctricter laws.
O Pinni Nated

Jefferson City, MO

#6 May 24, 2008
this is very close to my heart...
I have been a CASA. a foster parent and have been on many boards as a child advocate.
It is well documented that foster children who have no contact with their bio family will usually run and look, for them early on. Many will age out af the system and go back to their bios, and for the most part these bio families have had no skills or trainning on how to be a parent,always calling themselves as victims, and poisoning their child on that oppinion. or seek rehabilitation, and usually the cycle begins with them again... seeing what their familiy does, they become the next generation and we end up supporting their many children.
I do not beleve we should take away all
the rights, unless of course serve abuse, and child harm. A case to case basis. There is such a thing as restoration and rehabilitation. There can be healing and for those who really want the hep, there is ways for them to become a healthy productive safe family.
It merely can not be stated that they all should lose their rights, lets see where it when wrong for them, give them the trainning and help needed. If we simply take the parents from the kids... then the kids will always look fo them... and want them...90% of them anyway. We need loving safe foster homes that do it for the children, not a check. Foster parents that are willing to work with the state, and bio families for the good of the child(ren).
shubey

Lindon, UT

#7 May 29, 2008
Clearing the air wrote:
Should parents who are addicted to drugs have any rights to thier kids after they are taken away from them? Should we allow a child to be placed back in a home where we know there is rampent drug abuse? How do you feel about this? Shoudl we keep allowing drug addicted mothers to give birth to drug addicted babies?
what if the parents are divorced now and the fathers been clean for 18 months and the mom still uses drugs should the dad get his kids back

Since: May 08

Paragould, Arkansas

#8 May 29, 2008
shubey wrote:
<quoted text>what if the parents are divorced now and the fathers been clean for 18 months and the mom still uses drugs should the dad get his kids back
Ithink they should satart him out with visitation rights closely monitored of course. I know of alot of addicts who have cleaned up their act and got thier kids back and I think that is great. But my question is to those who are repeat offenders. How is it fair to the child to keep being put back into that situation. I think there should be random drug tests and three strikes your out. If they test positive for drugs while they are supposed to be clean, that is a strike. Three strikes your out. At least for a period of 1 year at least. And if at anytime they give birth to a child addicted or with drugs in thier system they should lose all the kids they have at that time and be places in jail for attempted murder on a child. That is just my opinion. I know this seems harsh but someone has to standup for these kids. It is just wrong.
Ex Officer

Lake Charles, LA

#9 May 29, 2008
Clearing the air wrote:
<quoted text>Ithink they should satart him out with visitation rights closely monitored of course. I know of alot of addicts who have cleaned up their act and got thier kids back and I think that is great. But my question is to those who are repeat offenders. How is it fair to the child to keep being put back into that situation. I think there should be random drug tests and three strikes your out. If they test positive for drugs while they are supposed to be clean, that is a strike. Three strikes your out. At least for a period of 1 year at least. And if at anytime they give birth to a child addicted or with drugs in thier system they should lose all the kids they have at that time and be places in jail for attempted murder on a child. That is just my opinion. I know this seems harsh but someone has to standup for these kids. It is just wrong.
How do anyone know what to think, not a loaded question. I have two close friends That have been Juvenile Judges. This subject has been discuss with me several times. The Departmnet of Human Services studies this type of situations, and has the most input. Each child should have a quality home with a golden opportunity for the best education.

Since: May 08

Paragould, Arkansas

#10 May 29, 2008
Ex Officer wrote:
<quoted text>How do anyone know what to think, not a loaded question. I have two close friends That have been Juvenile Judges. This subject has been discuss with me several times. The Departmnet of Human Services studies this type of situations, and has the most input. Each child should have a quality home with a golden opportunity for the best education.
I agree! But I also think that there should be stiffer penalties for the parents of kids who keep taking them back into "drug houses", for lack of a better word, and thinking that it is okay to do so. I have seen first hand the withdrawals these kids go through. I have seen precious children returned to foster parents dirty, with soured milk in thier cups, dirty diapers, rashes and wheezing due to what they inhale while they are on their "court appointed" visitations with thier "real parents", and I use that term lightly. I just think there ought to be some sort of guidelines these people have to follow. I believe that people can change and that they can become good parents even if they are addicted to drugs. But until they do we need to take back these kids and give them a fighting chance at a healthy life, with as many opportunities as possible.
Ex Officer

Lake Charles, LA

#11 May 29, 2008
Clearing the air wrote:
<quoted text> I agree! But I also think that there should be stiffer penalties for the parents of kids who keep taking them back into "drug houses", for lack of a better word, and thinking that it is okay to do so. I have seen first hand the withdrawals these kids go through. I have seen precious children returned to foster parents dirty, with soured milk in thier cups, dirty diapers, rashes and wheezing due to what they inhale while they are on their "court appointed" visitations with thier "real parents", and I use that term lightly. I just think there ought to be some sort of guidelines these people have to follow. I believe that people can change and that they can become good parents even if they are addicted to drugs. But until they do we need to take back these kids and give them a fighting chance at a healthy life, with as many opportunities as possible.
I agree! now go to http://www.learningFromlyrics.og r/Carter%Photograph.html. If we could only help.

“Cant we all just get along”

Since: Apr 08

Paragould AR

#12 May 29, 2008
Ex Officer wrote:
<quoted text> I agree! now go to http://www.learningFromlyrics.og r/Carter%Photograph.html. If we could only help.
Link didnt work.....http://www.learningfr omlyrics.org/
This should work.

“Cant we all just get along”

Since: Apr 08

Paragould AR

#13 May 29, 2008
http://www.learningfromlyrics.org/
Interesting. My parents have 2 children that were rescued from a drug addicted home. They plan on homeschooling & have actually began doing some teaching at the ages they are now which is 2 & 3. I will also send them this link.
Ex Officer

Lake Charles, LA

#14 May 29, 2008
search Kevin Carter photograph. Then the live and death of Kevin Carter. Let me Know.
Ex Officer

Lake Charles, LA

#15 May 29, 2008
InsuranceGirl wrote:
http://www.learningfromlyrics. org/
Interesting. My parents have 2 children that were rescued from a drug addicted home. They plan on homeschooling & have actually began doing some teaching at the ages they are now which is 2 & 3. I will also send them this link.
Isn't that nice in your folks.

Since: May 08

Paragould, Arkansas

#16 May 29, 2008
Ex Officer wrote:
<quoted text> I agree! now go to http://www.learningFromlyrics.og r/Carter%Photograph.html. If we could only help.
Sobering photo.
Wish we could kick some soberness into these parents. I know that we are not the worst country in the world but, we are one of the only countries that are doing this to our kids. It is not a matter of not having enough food, it is a matter of not having strict enough laws. We CAN fix this if we try.
Jessica

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#17 May 30, 2008
We, AMERICA, seems to forget that these kids are our future. As much meth is out there and other kinds of drugs that "mommy's to be" take while pregnant are making unreal number's of children who are most of the time messed up in the head. you know the brain area. Don't get me wrong as i'm just pointing out another conquence. But when i'm 70+ are these children that were born this way going to be running our country? The number's of babies born while parent was taking drugs are over the top. yeah they may function in school...etc...even college...but i beleive there will always be a part of their brain that will not be just exactally right.By not doing something about it now, and NO i don't have any answers, the future will be worse than the present. And that you can only imagine.... in my opinion.

Since: May 08

Paragould, Arkansas

#18 May 30, 2008
Jessica wrote:
We, AMERICA, seems to forget that these kids are our future. As much meth is out there and other kinds of drugs that "mommy's to be" take while pregnant are making unreal number's of children who are most of the time messed up in the head. you know the brain area. Don't get me wrong as i'm just pointing out another conquence. But when i'm 70+ are these children that were born this way going to be running our country? The number's of babies born while parent was taking drugs are over the top. yeah they may function in school...etc...even college...but i beleive there will always be a part of their brain that will not be just exactally right.By not doing something about it now, and NO i don't have any answers, the future will be worse than the present. And that you can only imagine.... in my opinion.
I think that we all know that these kids are our future, but it does not become reality to most of us until we are face to face with it. Our legal system is more interested in making sure they do not offend anyone or infringe on someones rights that they forget about the real victims involved. We have no problem putting murderers in jail and locking them up for life, as long as they do it with a gun or knife or something tangible that we can see. But when comes to mothers and fathers who either have babies born dead or miscarriages because of drugs they tend to look the other way. Is that not still murder? Our legal system is so screwed up that even though it is designed to protect the innocent that most of the time it protects the guilty, real democratic huh.
boomclappow

Cypress, TX

#19 Apr 20, 2011
I say don't let the impure breed anymore,they need to sterilize them.
childrenfirst

Scarborough, Canada

#21 May 1, 2011
I think our legal system worries too much about parents rights. What about the rights of a child to be brought up in a safe and loving home. I do not feel a child should have no contact with their parents. However if a parent is unable to change behaviour which is mentally or physically harmful to their child then contact should be on a supervised basis only. Parents do not have the right to abuse their children. Sometimes I think we protect animals and make more of an outcry for them than we do for children. I feel badly for parents who loose their children, but I feel much more remorse for children that are left in a home where they feel unsafe and unloved.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paragould Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bbw looking for discreet fun 9 min jres 14
Tom Cotton embarrasses Arkansas over and over 1 hr The Facts 54
WHo manages Silverwood Apartments? 1 hr Moe 1
Ronnie D. Locke wild life paintings 1 hr Keisha 10
Chad McCullar 2 hr concerned 5
Tyler Mabry 2 hr bustin pedos 1
Cheating Wives of Paragould 2 hr Anon 8
More from around the web

Paragould People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]