Unsolved History's Irritating Narrator
saledevo

Roselle, IL

#42 Aug 15, 2011
Yes I agree, her voice and intonations tend to give me headaches. It's as if she's trying to get up a hill with her voice, and never quite makes it to the top! That probably makes no sense to anyone here, but that is the picture I get in my head when I hear her narrate! Her voice just sounds unnatural... I can copy her exactly, and all my friends think i's funny. I just don't see how she got her job... who was sleeping at THAT interview??!! LOL
Jim

United States

#43 Sep 26, 2011
saledevo wrote:
Yes I agree, her voice and intonations tend to give me headaches. It's as if she's trying to get up a hill with her voice, and never quite makes it to the top! That probably makes no sense to anyone here, but that is the picture I get in my head when I hear her narrate! Her voice just sounds unnatural... I can copy her exactly, and all my friends think i's funny. I just don't see how she got her job... who was sleeping at that interview??!! LOL
I happen to really enjoy that show, Kathleen's voice and the way she presents the information. Sorry but I have to disagree with you, to me she's a keeper!
JimFromPA

Rome, PA

#44 Dec 5, 2011
I totally agree with the OP. Her voice is fine, but her cadence is very unnatural and distracting.
Tommy Alexander

Birmingham, AL

#45 Dec 5, 2011
Old_Timer wrote:
Even though the Unsolved History programs have some very interesting subject matter, I can't focus on the content and enjoy the programs because of the extremely irritating voice overs of Kathleen Kern. They need to prevent this woman from being anywhere near a microphone. She has an unnatural cadence in her delivery that results in inappropriate accentuations of the wrong syllables or words, and that makes what would otherwise be an enjoyable program to watch become undesirable.
I tried to watch the "Plots to Kill Lincoln" last night on the Military Channel, but I couldn't stand more than five minutes of her narration. Even after switching channels, I couldn't get her voice out of my head.
I'm wondering if anyone else has this same problem with this program.
I think Kathleen Kern's does a wonderful voiceover.

Level 1

Since: Jan 12

Richgrove, CA

#46 Jan 29, 2012
I agree with Old Timer. Kern's narration would actually wake me from sleep. It's as if she emphasizes every 6th word regardless of what that word is. I tried watching with the sound off, but not much better. HORRIBLE narration!!
Darksky

Columbia, MO

#47 Jan 30, 2012
Leon1 wrote:
I agree with Old Timer. Kern's narration would actually wake me from sleep. It's as if she emphasizes every 6th word regardless of what that word is. I tried watching with the sound off, but not much better. HORRIBLE narration!!
I think her voice over IS really fine. What is wrong WITH emphasizing sixth word? We always DID this in my house discussing THINGS. I love the way that KATHLEEN narrates. It sounds very natural TO me.
No really, I do like HER voice very much. I like KERN.
hawk

Decatur, IL

#48 Feb 7, 2012
Old_Timer wrote:
Even though the Unsolved History programs have some very interesting subject matter, I can't focus on the content and enjoy the programs because of the extremely irritating voice overs of Kathleen Kern. They need to prevent this woman from being anywhere near a microphone. She has an unnatural cadence in her delivery that results in inappropriate accentuations of the wrong syllables or words, and that makes what would otherwise be an enjoyable program to watch become undesirable.
I tried to watch the "Plots to Kill Lincoln" last night on the Military Channel, but I couldn't stand more than five minutes of her narration. Even after switching channels, I couldn't get her voice out of my head.
I'm wondering if anyone else has this same problem with this program.
I could not agree more!!!!!!!!!
mulberry

Chico, CA

#49 May 17, 2012
I,too, am irritated and distracted by the sing-song cadence of Kathleen Kern. Why haven't the producers of the documentaries that she narrates engaged her in some voice training? Anyone with basic public speaking training can do this; I've taught this - no real problem.

Kathleen, I hope you're working on this. You can do it!
sid

Phoenix, AZ

#50 May 26, 2012
i have no problem with her narration! at least the shows that i've watched were very interesting! i do watch less of the history channel, with all the reality shows i find rather boring!!! i live a reality show, so why would i watch one! get back to history!!!
Crystal Meth

Garner, NC

#51 Jun 30, 2012
Cat foot you are a SLUT, and yes I find Kathleen Kerns voice extremely irritating !
Crystal Meth

Garner, NC

#52 Jun 30, 2012
cat foot you are a cheap slut,, your mother said so.
rjwheel

Stoney Creek, Canada

#53 Jul 4, 2012
I was distracted by her voice also but in a different way. Her narration from a technical point of view wasnt that distracting to me. But she must have had a job at some point doing work on a reality game show because Im quite sure it was her voice that explained the rules. I think it was that Win it in a Minute game. It was driving me nuts throughout the JFK show of what game it was. Did anyone else recognize her voice?
Scorcher2

United States

#54 Jul 20, 2012
I would honestly take up a collection to pay her to stop doing narration! Of course it could be worse. I could be married to her!!
Reader

Green Valley, AZ

#55 Oct 16, 2012
Old_Timer wrote:
Even though the Unsolved History programs have some very interesting subject matter, I can't focus on the content and enjoy the programs because of the extremely irritating voice overs of Kathleen Kern. They need to prevent this woman from being anywhere near a microphone. She has an unnatural cadence in her delivery that results in inappropriate accentuations of the wrong syllables or words, and that makes what would otherwise be an enjoyable program to watch become undesirable.
I tried to watch the "Plots to Kill Lincoln" last night on the Military Channel, but I couldn't stand more than five minutes of her narration. Even after switching channels, I couldn't get her voice out of my head.
I'm wondering if anyone else has this same problem with this program.
I also find her most irritating. Or should I say irrAhtayTIng! Haha! I don't get it at all...someone liked her at some point and gave her a job. I found this post by googling irritating history channel narrator...haha

“Ultimate Minority=Individ ual”

Level 2

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#56 Oct 16, 2012
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I also find her most irritating. Or should I say irrAhtayTIng! Haha! I don't get it at all...someone liked her at some point and gave her a job. I found this post by googling irritating history channel narrator...haha
I'm glad you found it! It's been quite some time since I started this post, and I've been glad to find that there are many who feel the same as I do about Kathleen Kern's narrative non-skills.
Dick

Haslet, TX

#57 Oct 16, 2012
We had hoped you died old timer.
Mdiv

Quincy, MA

#58 Apr 3, 2013
Thank you. I just tried watching an episode of UH. I agree with your comments about cadence an intonation. I am a musician and public speaker, and her insipid drone makes me cringe. How much would it cost to have these episodes narrated by someone less irritating?
Wild

Reading, PA

#59 Apr 3, 2013
I just looked to see if I was not alone in finding her narration annoying and ended up here. Watched the end of MILI show on SF earthquake. Being called a female Hal (with an awkward rhythm and unnatural inflection) is not a compliment, in my opinion. (And I hate bully cats)
Carrieann

Torrance, CA

#60 Jul 6, 2013
Old_Timer wrote:
Even though the Unsolved History programs have some very interesting subject matter, I can't focus on the content and enjoy the programs because of the extremely irritating voice overs of Kathleen Kern. They need to prevent this woman from being anywhere near a microphone. She has an unnatural cadence in her delivery that results in inappropriate accentuations of the wrong syllables or words, and that makes what would otherwise be an enjoyable program to watch become undesirable.
I tried to watch the "Plots to Kill Lincoln" last night on the Military Channel, but I couldn't stand more than five minutes of her narration. Even after switching channels, I couldn't get her voice out of my head.
I'm wondering if anyone else has this same problem with this program.
I feel the same way -- you are 100% right! I stopped watching these shows -- cuz I just couldn't stomach her. She doesn't speak in a normal fashion -- it's so forced and unnatural!

“Whip it, whip it good”

Level 8

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#61 Jul 7, 2013
What ever dudes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paragould Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do humans hate their own children ? 41 min Idiotspotter 7
Does anyone know Darryle Knuckles From Marmaduke? (Sep '08) 48 min Guest 19
Kyla Mitchell...Taken? Single? Easy? 1 hr Swallywagg 4
Family dies of cold 3 hr Cheryl 8
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 6 hr Reality Check 41,525
matthew 7 hr ROOSTER73 6
Center hill church of Christ (Jun '15) 7 hr Guest72450 6

Paragould Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paragould Mortgages