First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hard to say

United States

#1 Aug 22, 2008
What exactly happens at the Agape House?
GowanFugCuresElf

Paragould, AR

#2 Aug 22, 2008
I don't know what activities they have there but from what I can gather is that they help women who are drug or alcohol dependant and through Christian values and teachings help them find the inner strength to recover from their addictions. They focus on empowering the women so that they don't have to depend on a man who ,in their typical situation,uses the addiction to control them and keep them addicted. it helps give them a sense of self worth and a sense of pride in themselves regardless of their pasts. It's all about starting all over for a better future. I applaud their work or at least the goal they are trying to achieve. Hats off to Agape House
OMG

Paragould, AR

#3 Aug 23, 2008
GowanFugCuresElf wrote:
I don't know what activities they have there but from what I can gather is that they help women who are drug or alcohol dependant and through Christian values and teachings help them find the inner strength to recover from their addictions. They focus on empowering the women so that they don't have to depend on a man who ,in their typical situation,uses the addiction to control them and keep them addicted. it helps give them a sense of self worth and a sense of pride in themselves regardless of their pasts. It's all about starting all over for a better future. I applaud their work or at least the goal they are trying to achieve. Hats off to Agape House
It has nothing to do with not depending on a man.
hard to say

Gregory, AR

#4 Aug 23, 2008
So are you saying that most women are addicted because of the man? Seriously, I find that hard to believe for most. But, your opinion is noted. With that aside, has anyone met anyone that has "recovered" and is no longer at the Agape House?
Doubt it

United States

#5 Aug 23, 2008
I think what the person meant is that it tries to teach independence and self-reliance, and let's face it, some women think they can't live without being attached to a man's hip. Nothing wrong with that, everyone should be self-reliant
GowanFugCuresElf

Paragould, AR

#6 Aug 23, 2008
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
It has nothing to do with not depending on a man.
Ok let me clarify this. Lets say a woman is already addicted to a substance to the point she can no longer support herself and her habit.(some men do the same thing by the way so I NEVER meant to make a sexist remark) I have personally witnessed this so it's not like I'm in the dark on the subject.If the addict(he or she) cannot support themselves because of the addiction, they find themselves depending on someone else. I have witnessed women staying in abusive relationships(depending on a man who knows how to keep her where he wants her...with him,addicted and dependant) He supplys her drugs and she feels like she can't live without him. Drugs becomes #1 priority to the addict and so she will lose all self respect and dignity to insure she gets what she "needs". The reason I used the "woman depending on a man" scenario is because Agape House is for women only. And wether anyone wants to see it or not, thats what most of the women there need, the assurance that they don't need a man to get by. She is given the knowledge and tools to regain her self respect and dignity. I was raised by a single mother with 4 older sisters in the house,I was the only male in the house ever. I am not a sexist and never will be. I was taught well by my mother God rest her soul.
GowanFugCuresElf

Paragould, AR

#7 Aug 23, 2008
Doubt it wrote:
I think what the person meant is that it tries to teach independence and self-reliance, and let's face it, some women think they can't live without being attached to a man's hip. Nothing wrong with that, everyone should be self-reliant
EXACTLY!!!!
ur too funny

North Little Rock, AR

#8 Aug 23, 2008
GowanFugCuresElf wrote:
<quoted text> EXACTLY!!!!
Is this Justin?
GowanFugCuresElf

Paragould, AR

#9 Aug 23, 2008
ur too funny wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this Justin?
No.
SIS

Paragould, AR

#10 Aug 23, 2008
I have a really good friend that graduated last year from the house. Needless to say she is still drug free and I am so proud of her. The people that can't stay off drugs well let's just say they don't want to. The Agape house is only an escape for those. For those who stay clean. MY HATS OFF TO YOU. GREAT JOB DONE
hard to say wrote:
So are you saying that most women are addicted because of the man? Seriously, I find that hard to believe for most. But, your opinion is noted. With that aside, has anyone met anyone that has "recovered" and is no longer at the Agape House?
GowanFugCuresElf

Paragould, AR

#11 Aug 23, 2008
SIS wrote:
I have a really good friend that graduated last year from the house. Needless to say she is still drug free and I am so proud of her. The people that can't stay off drugs well let's just say they don't want to. The Agape house is only an escape for those. For those who stay clean. MY HATS OFF TO YOU. GREAT JOB DONE
<quoted text>
Hats off to your friend. I don't know you or her but tell her congratulations>
OMG

Paragould, AR

#12 Aug 24, 2008
GowanFugCuresElf wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok let me clarify this. Lets say a woman is already addicted to a substance to the point she can no longer support herself and her habit.(some men do the same thing by the way so I NEVER meant to make a sexist remark) I have personally witnessed this so it's not like I'm in the dark on the subject.If the addict(he or she) cannot support themselves because of the addiction, they find themselves depending on someone else. I have witnessed women staying in abusive relationships(depending on a man who knows how to keep her where he wants her...with him,addicted and dependant) He supplys her drugs and she feels like she can't live without him. Drugs becomes #1 priority to the addict and so she will lose all self respect and dignity to insure she gets what she "needs". The reason I used the "woman depending on a man" scenario is because Agape House is for women only. And wether anyone wants to see it or not, thats what most of the women there need, the assurance that they don't need a man to get by. She is given the knowledge and tools to regain her self respect and dignity. I was raised by a single mother with 4 older sisters in the house,I was the only male in the house ever. I am not a sexist and never will be. I was taught well by my mother God rest her soul.
You are absolutely right. I didn't mean to sound negative either. Sorry if I came across that way.

“Let's agree to disagree!!”

Since: Jun 08

Judsonia, AR

#13 Aug 25, 2008
They are doing a fantastic work there. I have met several people who have gone through their program and are no longer there....and doing well. I have seen time and time again the difference that the Agape house has made on peoples lives. Not only the people who are or have been there but families as well.
teacher

United States

#14 Sep 12, 2008
Located at Oak Grove. Great program.

Calhan, CO

#15 Jan 22, 2009
hard to say wrote:
What exactly happens at the Agape House?
it is a home for women drug addicts to live in while they learn to stay clean. biblically based. costs nothing to go into, but you have to pay some when you start working

“LIFE! it's a hellova ride!”

Since: Jan 09

Houston

#16 Jan 22, 2009
hard to say wrote:
Ya, I have a good friend that went thru that and she's alot happier now. It really helped her. And if ya think that men have nothing to do with a womans drug use, think again. How else would half the dope heads in town get any. Got to get em high if you wanna ride.
Grateful Grad 08

Calhan, CO

#17 Feb 19, 2009
My name is Debbie Henson and Im very proud to say that I have sucessfully completed the Agape House Recovery Program. The Agape House is the best thing that has ever happened to me in my life. Its labeled a rehab. but it is so much more than that. It shows addicted women a new way to live. When a woman such as myself has had a life long addiction-mine was 22yrs of meth,from California to Arkansas-then we need more than drug counseling!B-cuz after that many years of doing dope and living the thug life, we lose all sense of what a normal life is. So for those of us who have tried everything from rehabs, relocating and even as desperate as suicide(12 attempts myself)to try to kick the habit...thats where the Agape House became my path to the light at the end of the tunnel. They loved me, and showed me through other recovering addicts and Christian people that I could have a normal life if I let go and let God. I had pretty much messed up to total destruction from my drug use...lost all my kids, friends,teeth,health,college education, and become a felon and got into a world of legal trouble. But today I have 15months clean,got own home,good job,had teeth fixed, and as of this week have restored relationship with all my children-which I onced believed was hopeless!Amen n praise God. Thank you God, Agape House and the community who support the house, and most of all to Sunny Curtis, who is my new hero and best friend 2day, who turned a dream into a reality!!!
marylea daileu

United States

#18 Sep 30, 2016
There aren't enough words to express my love and respect for Agape House
and Sunny Curtis and each and every lady I was blessed to know by my being there
Willy eggers

North Little Rock, AR

#19 Sep 30, 2016
GowanFugCuresElf wrote:
<quoted text>

Hell I was looking at some of them and I got to thinking hell I partied and banged about all of them real easy ass I'd get them high or drunk and off the panties would come I love those kinds of chicks
Sheila h

North Little Rock, AR

#20 Sep 30, 2016
Grateful Grad 08 wrote:
My name is Debbie Henson and Im very proud to say that I have sucessfully completed the Agape House Recovery Program. The Agape House is the best thing that has ever happened to me in my life. Its labeled a rehab. but it is so much more than that. It shows addicted women a new way to live. When a woman such as myself has had a life long addiction-mine was 22yrs of meth,from California to Arkansas-then we need more than drug counseling!B-cuz after that many years of doing dope and living the thug life, we lose all sense of what a normal life is. So for those of us who have tried everything from rehabs, relocating and even as desperate as suicide(12 attempts myself)to try to kick the habit...thats where the Agape House became my path to the light at the end of the tunnel. They loved me, and showed me through other recovering addicts and Christian people that I could have a normal life if I let go and let God. I had pretty much messed up to total destruction from my drug use...lost all my kids, friends,teeth,health,college education, and become a felon and got into a world of legal trouble. But today I have 15months clean,got own home,good job,had teeth fixed, and as of this week have restored relationship with all my children-which I onced believed was hopeless!Amen n praise God. Thank you God, Agape House and the community who support the house, and most of all to Sunny Curtis, who is my new hero and best friend 2day, who turned a dream into a reality!!!
It was like all the other places I've been I'd find god and as soon as I'd get out of jail or wherever I was forced to go to I'd go back to stealing and drugs I love the life

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paragould Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paragould high school 1 hr NNer 3
I just wanna eat some pus#y 2 hr John 4
Single mother in need of Christmas help 3 hr Guest 299
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 7 hr Copy And Paste Wi... 33,422
Problems with Fusion Media (Aug '14) 7 hr Fed Up 109
Candace Krumrie 9 hr Guest 2
Pecan Grove 12 hr Guest 2

Paragould Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance