Chico police plan St. Patrick's Day e...

Chico police plan St. Patrick's Day enforcement

There are 51 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Mar 16, 2009, titled Chico police plan St. Patrick's Day enforcement. In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

Police will increase staffing on St. Patrick's Day and get help from other agencies, to combat drunken driving and public drunkenness in downtown Chico and student neighborhoods.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
calhoon

Chico, CA

#1 Mar 16, 2009
the police dept. will need an extra supply of doughnuts to make it through this tramatic ordeal.
juanita sumner

Chico, CA

#2 Mar 16, 2009
Give the cops a few kegs and tell them to stay at the station and behave themselves.

Interesting - is it "donuts" or "doughnuts"?

“Anyone have a breath mint?”

Since: Mar 09

Chico, CA

#3 Mar 16, 2009
calhoon wrote:
the police dept. will need an extra supply of doughnuts to make it through this tramatic ordeal.
Why do you police bashers think that you are funny? Do you sit in your little circles and giggle at your wit? I am sure none of the police officers have ever heard of the donut joke before. So original calhoon. And juanita... I just have to shake my head. Do you ever have anything nice to say about anything? I am glad everyone around has worked to make St Patrick's day a non-event. The bars used to open at 0600 and serve green beer. The college now has spring break on that day. So let me see...I think the community has pulled together to help curtail binge drinking. How about getting on board and helping instead of showing your blatant hatred for those who protect you.
Vern

Oroville, CA

#4 Mar 16, 2009
As a bagpiper, I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man who had no family or friends. The funeral was to be held at a cemetery in the remote countryside and this man would be the first to be laid to rest there.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods area, I became lost and being a typical man, did not stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late. I saw the backhoe and the crew who were eating lunch but the hearse was nowhere in sight.

I apologized to the workers for my tardiness and stepped to the side of the open grave where I saw the vault lid already in place.

I assured the workers I would not hold them up for long but this was the proper thing to do. The workers gathered around, still eating their lunch. I played out my heart and soul.

As I played the workers began to weep. I played and I played like I'd never played before, from Going Home and The Lord is My Shepherd to Flowers of the Forest. I closed the lengthy session with Amazing Grace and walked to my car.

As I was opening the door and taking off my coat, I overheard one of the workers saying to another, "Sweet Jeezuz, Mary'n Joseph, I never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

panther for life

United States

#5 Mar 16, 2009
Original Rhino wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you police bashers think that you are funny? Do you sit in your little circles and giggle at your wit? I am sure none of the police officers have ever heard of the donut joke before. So original calhoon. And juanita... I just have to shake my head. Do you ever have anything nice to say about anything? I am glad everyone around has worked to make St Patrick's day a non-event. The bars used to open at 0600 and serve green beer. The college now has spring break on that day. So let me see...I think the community has pulled together to help curtail binge drinking. How about getting on board and helping instead of showing your blatant hatred for those who protect you.
I hope that chico pd are in full force but I question the job they will do . I was recently a wittness to a minor dispute the other day it took them almost an hour to respond but when they showed up they were rude and disrespectful even to me a concerned chicoan who was there for them giving infomation. But better yet they showed up with 4 officers respond to this small incedent .I have seen this too many times in the past few years they are in force for petty stuff but in a major situations they are non-existing . I am sorry for my comments but I think the quailty of our PD in this day and age is not close to waht we have had in the past.
B-real

Fair Oaks, CA

#6 Mar 16, 2009
What a waste of our money. The tax revenue from the celebration helps our community. Arresting college students because of excessive celebration is subjective and makes the departments who enforce these limits to our freedoms a lot of money. There is no way to protect everybody and to allow free will. Party on Chico!

Since: Apr 08

Chico, CA

#7 Mar 16, 2009
Believe it or not there are responsible people in Chico who plan on that one day of the year to go to Duffy's and the town lounge to celebrate St. Paddy's Day! Too bad, youngsters had to ruin it for the old timers (50's) who plan a designated driver, and start with breakfast at Woody's, green beer at Town Lounge and great music at Duffy's and great irish clogging! We will still go, but, hate to see so many scared away! Chico PD loves any event to show their strength (weakness) and it would probably be safer if they stayed at the station!

Chico, CA

#8 Mar 16, 2009
panther for life wrote:
<quoted text>I hope that chico pd are in full force but I question the job they will do . I was recently a wittness to a minor dispute the other day it took them almost an hour to respond but when they showed up they were rude and disrespectful even to me a concerned chicoan who was there for them giving infomation. But better yet they showed up with 4 officers respond to this small incedent .I have seen this too many times in the past few years they are in force for petty stuff but in a major situations they are non-existing . I am sorry for my comments but I think the quailty of our PD in this day and age is not close to waht we have had in the past.
First you complain that noone shows up, then you complain when too many show up. Make up your mind.
Well I am sorry you felt that that situation was bad for you. Perhaps you can shed some light on the situation so that we can understand more such as a little detail. Now I have heard people say the word "rude" many times. What exactly was rude in your opinion? Explain please. As far as 4 officers showing up. When was it? the weekend when some units run two to car? How can anyone address generalities when the details are so much easier.

You know what? I went to the store the other day and the clerk was rude. Sheesh how dare she. And then four clerks came out of the back...must of had a smoke break. don't they know I am a paying customer?? Some people.

Since: Apr 08

Chico, CA

#9 Mar 16, 2009
Original Rhino wrote:
Why do the police think its funny when they bash citizens? The same citizens that pay their civil servant salary? Funny huh? So if the police know what the public thinks about their donut addiction, why do they park two or three at a time at a friggin' donut shop? Smart heh! Everyone hasn't worked together to make St. Paddy's day a non-binge event, the Chico PD demanded that the college assist them by coordinating spring break around St. Paddy's Day... working together, hell no! I help I have a designated driver! I spend my money in Chico, I think the business owners appreciate that more, than the "safe" environment the police "ensure". What a joke! And Original Rhino, get back to work, and stop posting while you're supposed to be working... at Chico PD!
Joe Sixpack

Manteca, CA

#10 Mar 16, 2009
If the cops are waiting outside the bars to nail revellers as soon as they set foot on the public sidewalk, I'd sneak out the back door of the establishment.
yeehaa

Chico, CA

#11 Mar 16, 2009
Officer T. Johnson and Ferrieria will have a field day
Too bad

Yolo, CA

#12 Mar 16, 2009
youngsters can't handle their alcohol. Back in the pre-90's Chico PD didn't hastle people during big events because there was no political issue forcing them too. now? Geesh, if one more moron youngter OD's, drinks himself to death alcohol, water, whatever else is handy, then the department bears the brunt of the blame. If young people were more responsible, and could be trusted to go out and have a good time without trying to light things on fire in the street, then CPD would probably leave you alone and go eat those doughnuts you guys are always talking about. Time to grow up children.
Lazy Chico PD

Roseville, CA

#13 Mar 16, 2009
Just another example of Chico's finest milking us for every penny. The university and downtown bars squashed the St. Patricks Day revelry years ago, yet the PD doesn't want to give up the huge overtime bonuses.

It's bad enough the Chico PD calls in the bomb squad once a week, bankrupts our city and still wants more.

I guess this is to be expected when their fearless leader, Mr. Haggerty, supposedly suffering from the pension-spiking scheme, "Chief's Disease".
Born in Chico

Rancho Cordova, CA

#14 Mar 16, 2009
Too bad wrote:
youngsters can't handle their alcohol. Back in the pre-90's Chico PD didn't hastle people during big events because there was no political issue forcing them too. now? Geesh, if one more moron youngter OD's, drinks himself to death alcohol, water, whatever else is handy, then the department bears the brunt of the blame. If young people were more responsible, and could be trusted to go out and have a good time without trying to light things on fire in the street, then CPD would probably leave you alone and go eat those doughnuts you guys are always talking about. Time to grow up children.
The 90's???? You've got to be kidding!!! Hahaha... The 80-90's were just as bad with the party atmosphere. The cops were just as concerned... And the student partiers were just as stupid!!! Remember why they took "Pioneer Day's out back and shot it dead???"

It's just that the stupid youngsters have more money to drink more alcohol and die!!!!

Give us taxpayers a break!!! The police are Not eating donuts when they go to domestic disputes and get shot like up near Butte Meadows. Bashing and disrespect for the police is not a solution.

I still think CSUC should expell anyone that is caught drinking alcohol underage!
Wow

Firebaugh, CA

#15 Mar 16, 2009
In a small town like this, I would think that people would be more supportive of the law enforcement. I'm glad Chico PD will be out there to deal with all the drunken idiots. All these so-called celebrations are just an excuse to get hammered. Really, are any of these people actually celebrating St. Patrick (or do they even know who he was)?
Wow

Firebaugh, CA

#16 Mar 16, 2009
calhoon wrote:
Oh that's so super funny. ha ha Really, you have nothing better to say?
Disbelief

New Zealand

#17 Mar 16, 2009
The number of arrests at any given time is directly related to the number of officers on patrol. If you put out blanket enforcement its no big surprise you will have a spike in "incidents". Nothin' special about St. Paddys day really...

Chico

#18 Mar 16, 2009
Wow wrote:
In a small town like this, I would think that people would be more supportive of the law enforcement. I'm glad Chico PD will be out there to deal with all the drunken idiots. All these so-called celebrations are just an excuse to get hammered. Really, are any of these people actually celebrating St. Patrick (or do they even know who he was)?
Probably not, but do revelers at Mardi Gras really know what they're celbrating? And is New Years' eve in Central Park not about getting hammered? The real difference is that these cities found a way to not only deal with the parties that make them famous, they also found a way to capitalize on it. Chico has taken a different route by trying to squash any public event that gets too popular in the name of "safety," but we still have just as many "riots" and drunk drivers as ever... except now nobody is making any money except civil defense lawyers and cops who are paid over-time.
Too bad

Chico, CA

#19 Mar 16, 2009
Born in Chico wrote:
<quoted text>
The 90's???? You've got to be kidding!!! Hahaha... The 80-90's were just as bad with the party atmosphere. The cops were just as concerned... And the student partiers were just as stupid!!! Remember why they took "Pioneer Day's out back and shot it dead???"
It's just that the stupid youngsters have more money to drink more alcohol and die!!!!
Give us taxpayers a break!!! The police are Not eating donuts when they go to domestic disputes and get shot like up near Butte Meadows. Bashing and disrespect for the police is not a solution.
I still think CSUC should expell anyone that is caught drinking alcohol underage!
Please slow down and read before you comment. I said pre-90's. That means before the 90's, making the rest of your comments irrelevant. You may have been born in Chico, but I was on the town in Chico back then. Cops could care less if you were drunk. People were just more responible and less disorderly. So it wasn't a problem. Now? Geesh, most of these students should still be wearing diapers to match their maturity level.

United States

#22 Mar 16, 2009
Tulala wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do the police think its funny when they bash citizens? The same citizens that pay their civil servant salary? Funny huh? So if the police know what the public thinks about their donut addiction, why do they park two or three at a time at a friggin' donut shop? Smart heh! Everyone hasn't worked together to make St. Paddy's day a non-binge event, the Chico PD demanded that the college assist them by coordinating spring break around St. Paddy's Day... working together, hell no! I help I have a designated driver! I spend my money in Chico, I think the business owners appreciate that more, than the "safe" environment the police "ensure". What a joke! And Original Rhino, get back to work, and stop posting while you're supposed to be working... at Chico PD!
You have seen 3 or 4 cops sitting at a donut shop?? I'm gonna have to call you a liar. Why do you think I am CPD? and if so, how do you know if I am at work or sitting at home? You are an extreme person with extreme ideas, not too unlike me. I also spend my dollars in the city. So if my money is being paid to the city, and I was an officer should I not be self employed??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paradise Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
These are HISTORICAL TIMES 1 hr JimmyJack 7
David Duke part of the Deep State 1 hr JimmyJack 25
THIS is a WARNING...WARNING...WARNING 3 hr GRANDPA NICOLAI 5
EvangeliKLANS: It's the RAPTURE!!!!! REJOICE!!!... 4 hr iWANTitALLnow 1
If you HATE the RepubliKLAN TrumpanZEES God, Gi... 5 hr Its A Sign 1
News Man shot by Chico police identified 17 hr Godfrey 4
ACLU blames McAuliffe, police 4 Charlottesville Sun Godfrey 1

Paradise Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance