Protection burn likely contributes as Camp Fire rages into Conc...

Fire officials said a procedure Monday night known as a "firing operation" may have hastened the march of the Camp Fire toward Concow, where several dozen structures were lost Tuesday. Full Story
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
something stinks here

Oroville, CA

#1 Jul 9, 2008
this fire is being mismanaged. Concow wasn't lost, it was given away.
tawn

Hayward, CA

#2 Jul 9, 2008
I need to know if Camelot homes burned last night... does anyone know? i do not have TV and need to know.
to something stinks here

Roseville, CA

#3 Jul 9, 2008
MAYBE ITS YOUR UPPER LIP. These firefighters are risking their lives. They are trained skilled professionals. They said the fire was "going to get there anyway" so they tried this. They did all they could. How dare you sit back and critisize these people. Don't blame these people. When mother nature unleashes her fury NOTHING can be done. You better hope it never happens to you. I mean seriously, what do you think? All the firefighters got together and decided to "give away Concow?" For all the good these fine men and women have done the least you could do is be respectful when their efforts don't work out how they planned and wanted them to. What have YOU done to help this situation?
Chef deano

United States

#4 Jul 9, 2008
The Cal Fire people screwed up here.
The sheriff came by our house in Concow at 1:00 A.M. Tuesday morning, the road was hard closed at 1:45 A.M.We called family members in Paradise to help but they couldn't get through the road block 45 mins. later. We had 45 mins to gather what we could and run for our lives. There was no precautionary evacuation, just some idiots with drip torches, and a good breeze.People have lost everything due to bad decision making.
To make a statement like the fire would have gotten in there anyway is pretty cavalier to say.That kind of statement will get you sued.

Concerned

United States

#5 Jul 9, 2008
Something does stink, it's all the smoke and the smell of our beautiful contryside, along with homes,animals... Let's be kind to the firefighters that are giving their very lives to fight this horrible fire, while many of us go to work, eat when hungry, sleep when tired....turn on our airconditoners to cool ourselves. Please let's not start turning on the hero's that are willing to do this very difficult job....
fire fighters mom

Mount Shasta, CA

#6 Jul 9, 2008
If you think you could do better than take the training and get out there and do it
orland joe

Chico, CA

#7 Jul 9, 2008
Ironic how in an attempt to save property and stop the fire it occassionally backfires (no pun intended) and that is what folks focus on and bi*&$c about... on the other hand, how many times ha there been great save through the course of these fires that no one even knew about or celebrated. There doing the best they can... give them a break!
friend of a firefighter

Fresno, CA

#8 Jul 9, 2008
Read this and reset your attitude. The firefighters thank the community for the support received. Trust me, they can use all the support they can get.

The Butte Lightning Complex would like to thank the residents for their continued cooperation and preparedness during this ever changing natural disaster. Several fires are actively burning in the region and residents should continue to monitor the situation. In addition, incident personnel continue to be overwhelmed by the communitiesí continuing support of the firefighting efforts. It has been an honor and a pleasure to serve the citizens of Butte County.
Any negative fools

United States

#9 Jul 9, 2008
If you think you can do better, get out there! The firemen and women as well as personnel from other agencies are doing the best they can with ever changing weather factors... dont see you out there in this 100+ degree weather trying to save anything... These guys have saved what they could and are continuing to bust their butts so that they can save more of our land and homes. These guys are far away from home and have been stretched thin. Get a life and go see a counselor if you can only see the negative in life. The guys are doing a great job and yes, my home is threatened right now and I am scared, but at the end of the day, its just things that are in there and there was MORE than enough warning from the news that there were fires around us... if you didnt pack, no ones fault but your own. BE PREPARED! And just because I know this comment is coming, yes, I do have things to do besides watching the news, I have a job and a very busy life, but I know how to prioritize and multi task ;)
onthenorthshore

Shingle Springs, CA

#10 Jul 9, 2008
I cannot understand why anyone could be negative about the work of the firemen. It is very tragic that homes were lost, however they cannot control mother nature. Weather happens. Perhaps if that firing hadn't been done the fire would already be raging through Paradise. I moved from there 9 yrs ago to Tahoe and to think of all the yards and areas in Paradise that never had defencable space including Concow. Hopefully things have changed in the last few years. Those who don't lose their homes should get involved with thier communities and implement plans for being fire safe. After all, everyone in the sierra foothills needs remember,they live on the skirt of wilderness full of high combustable fuels. Fire is a natural cycle in a forest It will affect you at some point. We all have to give those fire fighters the best chance to protect the structres by keeping needles cleaned up, non shake roofs and most importantly clear the allowed distance of highly flammable materials. My thoughts are with all the people affected and the fire fighters who sweat their asses off in the heat doing their best under the worst conditons.
Chef deano

United States

#11 Jul 9, 2008
I was a woodland firefighter for 5 years in my younger days. It is the hardest job I have ever in my life.
Its easy for you armchair critics to make statements about things that haven't had to deal with.
Mistakes get made, and people get blamed, thats life.
Whats ironic is that we were evacuated for 7 days, then they let us back in and then they started the backfire, why not start the backfire while the area was evacuated already? We had just returned all our belongings to our homes the day before, then were given 45 mins to repack and run for our lives.
People left animals to burn because the highway patrol denied horse trailers access to the animals.What stinks is the smell of dead pets and peoples lives.
Dave

United States

#12 Jul 9, 2008
No negatives re the people doing the "work" of firefighting...management is the culpret. This firing shuld NEVER have been attempted with the weather forecasted to be so hot and windy.
And, I am not sitting in my chair but have been at the site(s). Don't go on a "support at all costs" or "always wrong" trip re CDF...it's just that this was an error, a BIG error, in judgement and it cost innocent people dearly. What's new about that?
I do wish those making the error would own up to it and not gloss it over with euphemisms and "Oh wells."
Ingineer66

Sacramento, CA

#13 Jul 9, 2008
The fire fighters are doing a good job and working hard, but the person in charge that allowed this back fire is the one that messed up. The down canyon winds were not a surprise. They had been predicted for the night and they are a common occurrence in this area during the night. And do not try to confuse and deflect the public with fancy jargon. It was a back fire and it got away because of a bad decision. And to say that the fire would have got there anyway is just wrong. That devalues the efforts of the firefighters and is dis-respectful to the residents that had to run for their lives. If that truly was the case then they should have not been able to return to their homes in the first place.
Dave

United States

#14 Jul 9, 2008
to something stinks here wrote:
MAYBE ITS YOUR UPPER LIP. These firefighters are risking their lives. They are trained skilled professionals. They said the fire was "going to get there anyway" so they tried this. They did all they could. How dare you sit back and critisize these people. Don't blame these people. When mother nature unleashes her fury NOTHING can be done. You better hope it never happens to you. I mean seriously, what do you think? All the firefighters got together and decided to "give away Concow?" For all the good these fine men and women have done the least you could do is be respectful when their efforts don't work out how they planned and wanted them to. What have YOU done to help this situation?
YES, do not attempt this at home...only TRAINED & SKILLED PROFESSIONALS should be allowed!! Do you know how ridiculous you sound? You must still have your "2004 'W'" sticker on the bumper.
Chef deano

United States

#15 Jul 9, 2008
Thanks Dave,
Keep in mind these firefighters are getting paid, 60.00 per hour minimum, before overtime/ time an 1/2, and the more skills you have the more you get paid.
I agree, mismanagement is the culprit, these folks fighting the fire are doing a great job, but they are human.
Keri

Clarksville, TN

#16 Jul 9, 2008
No offense to the firefighters who are doing their job, but i'm sure they are being told by higher up officials to let the pot crops and meth labs burn. Because when I lived there in the late 80's and early 90's thats all that was there with a few exceptions of people not wanting to live in the city, but for a kid back then to know what all of what was going on up there it must be even more now. I lived off Granite Ridge Rd in Concow my parents were Dave & Debbie and if anyone remembers that name then they know who I am. Im not knocking anyone but thats just what I remember of what goes on up there. The state officials would rather save the expensive neighborhoods where drugs arent as previlent(sp). I do wish well for everyone who lives up there and hope that noone gets hurt trying to get out or save their animals.
Chef deano

United States

#17 Jul 9, 2008
Any negative fools wrote:
If you think you can do better, get out there! The firemen and women as well as personnel from other agencies are doing the best they can with ever changing weather factors... dont see you out there in this 100+ degree weather trying to save anything... These guys have saved what they could and are continuing to bust their butts so that they can save more of our land and homes. These guys are far away from home and have been stretched thin. Get a life and go see a counselor if you can only see the negative in life. The guys are doing a great job and yes, my home is threatened right now and I am scared, but at the end of the day, its just things that are in there and there was MORE than enough warning from the news that there were fires around us... if you didnt pack, no ones fault but your own. BE PREPARED! And just because I know this comment is coming, yes, I do have things to do besides watching the news, I have a job and a very busy life, but I know how to prioritize and multi task ;)
You are a clueless blow hard with too much time on your hands, we did pack and evacuated, for a week or more, and then all warnings and precautions were lifted and then they started a backfire 2 miles from peoples houses, with a 20 mile per hour down canyon wind blowing.It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that a mistake was made.
Your breath must smell like your foot.
So get to multitasking in your busy little life and prioritize.
you bet it stinks

Llano, CA

#18 Jul 9, 2008
something stinks here wrote:
this fire is being mismanaged. Concow wasn't lost, it was given away.
They never learn, in 2000 my aunt was killed (the only fatality) in the last "Concow Fire". Though the efforts to save her were heroic and appreciated they would not have been required if the CDF had listened to the folks who have lived on that hill all their lives about wind direction and how it changes every night. The "professionals" set the backfire anyway and sure enough, it switched and came over the hill killing my aunt.
Is it mere coincidence that the budget for CDF is based on the number of acres that burn each year? There are plenty of stories of these backfires being set against the better judgment of locals, then burning down people's land and there is no recourse.
Might be a good time for the professional fire fighter's lobby to pipe down, your mismanagement of the forests is all too apparent. I'd vote for letting the natives take over again, they knew how to mange the forests properly.
just wondering

Roseville, CA

#19 Jul 9, 2008
If people had 45 minutes to evacuate why wasn't that long enough to get their pets out?
to you bet it stinks

Roseville, CA

#20 Jul 9, 2008
Your aunt was killed because when they went in her house to get her out she refused to go with them and went back in to get her dogs. Stop blaming the firemen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paradise Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama Supporters Support KARL MARX as next Pres... 5 hr TWP 1
Old "Baghdad Bob" Mulholland (Aug '14) 6 hr TWP 27
Climate Change Denial 6 hr Ultraman 107
Prosecution rests in Chico assault trial involv... 6 hr TWP 4
Old Baghdad Bob Mulholland - Doing what he does... 6 hr TWP 1
Beantown: Please, we NEED Global Warming? 7 hr TWP 80
The Great Failure Called Obama 8 hr GRANDPA NICOLAI 227
Paradise Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web