Magalia man to face three felonies

A Magalia man arrested following a six-hour standoff on Wednesday, was arraigned on three felony charges Friday afternoon at the Butte County Superior Courthouse. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Michelle

Gladstone, OR

#1 Sep 4, 2010
Dad, Even though you don't think I do, I still and always have loved you.
Magalia resident

Chico, CA

#2 Sep 4, 2010
Michelle wrote:
Dad, Even though you don't think I do, I still and always have loved you.
You are doing such a great thing by reaching out even though it sounds like there were problems. Sounds like this Man needs to know someone on the outside cares. Good luck and I hope everything works out alright (actually, it did so far, no bloodshed either way, great thing!) Kudo's to the officers with a HEART and common sense, that was the exact right thing to do and it worked! You guys rock! Thank you for being understanding thru this mans plight.
Missing my Brother

Chico, CA

#3 Sep 4, 2010
My Brother (see obit Don Fullerton) had a foreclosure letter posted on his door in magalia, we found him deceased three days later. It took me a month of going through his "Loan Re-modification" and legal house paperwork to figure out where he stood on the mortgage of his home... Freddie Mac now owned it.
My mother and I just had lunch yesterday and she brought up this story with tears in her eyes. What would have happened to your brother if the sheriffs came to take his home? We will never know because the thought of fighting and fighting to keep his home only to loose it because of the complexities of the governments loan re modification programs and scammers out there...it WAS too much for him.
Though I never met this man, my heart goes out to him. I don't condone the illegal actions he took, but have utmost sympathy and respect for him trying to save his home. My brother, a proud marine vet, kept most of his financial/home issues from his family and friends also. He became a recluse and eventually just gave up.
This man, while facing charges will hopefully get the mental health help he needs, and be reconnected with a support system of family and friends to let him know that he is so worthy of life, and that life will continue despite the loss of his home, possessions, and legal issues.

I only wish that there were programs/ support groups etc in place to help residents who are in jeopardy of loosing their homes to foreclosure in place and available to people who are in desperate situations.

May your father, friend, neighbor find the support he needs to get through this and may my dearly missed brother rest in peace.

The Hallett/ Fullerton/Pantoja family
Sad Daughter

Chico, CA

#4 Sep 4, 2010
My mother passed away a couple of years ago and what we found was that the house was being forclosed upon. She didn't take her own life, but when she became ill, she didn't fight to live like the woman I knew as my mother would have. It broke our hearts to realize that she suffered this alone and didn't reach out and let us know her plight.

As I was cleaning out her home I found her bible turned to a highlighted passage that said "The hounds they bark at my door." I only wish I could have helped her. I know she is with God and I will see her again one day. I just wanted her here much longer.

I'm glad this man didn't have to die. I will keep him and his family in my prayers.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#5 Sep 4, 2010
Sad Daughter wrote:
My mother passed away a couple of years ago and what we found was that the house was being forclosed upon. She didn't take her own life, but when she became ill, she didn't fight to live like the woman I knew as my mother would have. It broke our hearts to realize that she suffered this alone and didn't reach out and let us know her plight.
As I was cleaning out her home I found her bible turned to a highlighted passage that said "The hounds they bark at my door." I only wish I could have helped her. I know she is with God and I will see her again one day. I just wanted her here much longer.
I'm glad this man didn't have to die. I will keep him and his family in my prayers.
It could have ended so much, much worse. Many Americans are only one pay-day away from being homeless.
Michelle

Gladstone, OR

#6 Sep 4, 2010
Dear missing my brother and sad daughter posters, your words really touch my heart and I am thankful for the compassion my father has been given by the community and people like you. It makes a hard situation just a little bit easier. I only hope my father can someday see how much he didn't have to be alone....
Right On

United States

#7 Sep 5, 2010
We need to join this mans fight but with NO GUNS.
Money has power over guns.
Our system is defunk and needs to be stopped by change. Our system's blood is money and feeds from it. We need to stop the flow.
Stop paying and this system will change, but one man can't do it alone.

Good job peace officers! I know you have homes and families too that you could have lost.
Thanks
Annie of So Cal

Yucaipa, CA

#8 Sep 5, 2010
I sympathize with him. My folks had 3 foreclosure notices when I was a kid, but they did not say anything in front of me. I have also had notices myself. I turned to prayer and was able to make things right with the mortgage company.
How much does he owe? Maybe people in your area can have a fundraiser rally for him. He sounds depressed and this would boost him up a bit.
So again, Michelle should contact the company and find out how much he owes and work from there. There is always hope as long as there is breath.
Blessings to you both.
Right On

United States

#9 Sep 5, 2010
After some more thought, it shouldn't be a felony to fight for your own home especially when someone shows up with guns.
Paradise

Chico, CA

#10 Sep 5, 2010
This is so sad. Hopefully the courts will put themselves in this man's shoes and go easy on him and point him in a direction that will help him get back on his feet.We as a country are in a horrible crisis and its not getting any easier. Everyday families are getting kicked out of thier homes People that show hardships are suppose to get help from thier lenders but the banks are dragging it out until the bank takes it away from them. I am a Realtor and have tried several times to help people do a remodification or a short sale. It is almost impossible and can take up to a year and after a year of jumping through hoops it rarely works out and they loose the home.The people that you talk to are incompentent as well as insensitive. They do not care. HELP!!!

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#11 Sep 5, 2010
He needs help, not prison.
Vet in Magalia

Chico, CA

#12 Sep 6, 2010
I hope the District Attorney, judges and media do not do one of their trial by media scams on this guy. They have a tendency to demonize people regardless of circumstances. Also, they sometimes use smear tactics on innocent parties. Though it appears this guy is clearly guilty he has not had a trial, yet he is already considered guilty. I am surprised that everyone so far in these posts show sympathy for him as the system in Butte County, including the media, so often destroys a person once they are accused by the authorities. If he is guilty as charged every possible means of helping this man should be employed by the authorities, the media, and even the bank. Falling behind on mortgage payments should not be cause for police to get involved like this. It makes you wonder how many people have actually been shot and killed under similar conditions across our nation, especially since the financial downfall of recent years. Isn't there a better way to handle such matters? Who will be next if things don't change on how society handles home finance problems? Also, what is wrong with Cal Vet in not stepping in to help a combat vet/war-time service vet, who put it on the line for California and America, to keep his home somehow? They should work with the bank, especially if they are the bank, and help get his home back. What he apparently did was wrong but shipping him off for a long custody period is too. There is no telling what he actually went through. Surely he deserves the plenty more of the same mercy the police showed. Those in power over this man's future might consider a the quote, "The only thing required for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing." -- Edmunde Burke
An Understanding Heart

Paradise, CA

#13 Sep 6, 2010
My husband and I lost our home to foreclosure after a lengthy game Fanny Mae and the bank played. It took about a year and 1/2 to foreclose while ruining our credit. Now we face another 7 years of bad credit and we're in our 50s. My husband too is a Vet.
Some people don't realize but when a person is at the point of losing their home there can be many other problems, such as in our case. We lost our health benifits, our unemployement, trying to go back to college because a lot of the jobs in your field has dried up, the loss of friends who won't stick by you through bad times, the loss of equity to the tunes of thousands of dollars, the loss of all the money you put in home improvements, and losing your retirement. Compound this with the fact your competing with 20 year old people when going back into the job market and your in your 50s.
I know what this man did was illegal but I commend the officers that day for not doing what they could have done. It not only took common sense and compassion but they risked their lives to save another who was in desperate times.
I hope and pray the courts get him the help he needs and if he does not need jail time that the courts will do what is right. My heart goes out to all of those that got put in this situation and to their families.
Michelle

Gladstone, OR

#14 Sep 6, 2010
I have talked with a representative from the California Dept. of Veteran affairs who can only give me info that is considered public. He says they are willing to "work with him". Well you and I know that their definition of "work with him" means PAY UP AND PAY IN FULL plus all fees and penalties......Obviously if my Dad had the money to pay in the first place then he wouldn't be in this situation. They are willing to let me in the home at least to clear it out, that is once I get permission from my father, so I guess I should be grateful for that?

The compassion being shown for my father is amazing and reassuring in a time like this, a lot of us are one paycheck away from being out on the street, myself included, but I will do what I can to help him get through this, if he will let me. Keep on praying for him!
An Understanding Heart

Paradise, CA

#15 Sep 6, 2010
If you need help let me know by giving me your e-mail. Thanks and my prayers are with you.
Annie of So Cal

Yucaipa, CA

#16 Sep 6, 2010
Michelle, hang in there! My church will be praying for your dad and things will change. Do get the OK and get into the house. Maybe you can find a bank statement. Get financial power of attorney from your dad and you will be able to talk to the mortgage company to work out a deal. Also, see if he paid the taxes. Look around to see what would sell to build up a fund and get the payments started. Visit your dad while he is incarcerated,
but do not say one word of blame or ask why he did such a thing. Be supportive, supportive, supportive, and tell him that you love him and do not want to lose him. This will go far in reconnecting your relationship.
Michelle

Gladstone, OR

#17 Sep 6, 2010
I will be doing what I can, and as much as my father will allow me to. It is a little difficult as I am living in Idaho, and we have been estranged for quite a few years. but nonetheless I will try.

I appreciate all the advice and support, he needs it and I need it right now. I do not blame my Father nor do I judge him. NOBODY is perfect and I know he never meant to hurt anyone. If he did, it would have happened!

I can honestly say that If I were down to my last dime, down and out and had lived in my house for over 25 years only to have it taken away from me when it was almost paid off, I don't know how I would have reacted. When all hope is lost, you can and will do irrational things just to try and hold on. I also believe there is more to the story that we just don't know yet. One thing I do know, he is not crazy! He just did something crazy, there is a difference.

My e-mail address is Miskelle@msn.com
What-The

United States

#18 Sep 7, 2010
Crazy for losing his home??????
Ok, you got his home. Now LET HIM GO!!!!!!
Geez

United States

#19 Sep 7, 2010
What-The wrote:
Crazy for losing his home??????
Ok, you got his home. Now LET HIM GO!!!!!!
You nailed it. I bet even the cops would like to see him let go with a slap on the wrist. The D.A.'s do it all the time for gang bangers and drug dealers, so it's not like it would be a first time event. Get the old guy some counseling and a roof over his head. It is really very sad.
chere gilmore

Chico, CA

#20 Sep 7, 2010
temple circle never be same

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paradise Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 31 min JOEL 69,978
Voter ID Laws 1 hr McGruff 1
SF gay pride event celebrates 40th anniversary (Jun '10) 6 hr Dolly 111
Review: Rising Sun Engines Inc (Dec '12) 9 hr Disappointed 8
Sayonara Road Toa d 9 hr Here Is One 4
Meriam Park and Other Developments 12 hr ChicoLocal 8
East First Street and Main Street. . . whats go... 12 hr ChicoLocal 7
Paradise Dating
Find my Match

Paradise Jobs