Ex-CSUC student facing prison term: J...

Ex-CSUC student facing prison term: Johnathon Campbell admits supplying drugs that may have contr...

There are 106 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Dec 21, 2010, titled Ex-CSUC student facing prison term: Johnathon Campbell admits supplying drugs that may have contr.... In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

A Chico man will be sentenced next month after admitting he supplied Chico State University student Gina Maggio, 21, with one of the drugs that officials said contributed to her death on Oct.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Old and Retired

Chico, CA

#1 Dec 21, 2010
One sentence says Maggio's family is NOT pleased with charges against Campell and another sentence says they hope he gets the maximum sentence. What say, reporter Greg Welter? Am I reading it wrong?
concerned Mom

United States

#2 Dec 21, 2010
No one can bring Gina back to this earth. However, what Campbell did is despicable. How many other young women has he injected with dangerous and illegal drugs? He is a predator who needs to be stopped. I hope that the judge will give him the maximum sentence possible. A strong message needs to be sent to CSUC, its student body and the entire community that injecting a young woman (or anyone) with an illegal substance will NEVER be tolerated. As far as I am concerned, he committed murder! Gina did not deserve to die. May she rest in peace and may her friends and family be healed from this tragic and senseless loss.
rocky727

San Jose, CA

#3 Dec 21, 2010
To Old and Retired: Obviously you have never lost a child. There are many facts in this case of which Greg Welter is not privy to at this point. There is a saying in legal circles: One way of concealing a crime is confessing to a lesser crime.
tim tam tom

Lodi, CA

#4 Dec 21, 2010
Yeah no responsibility should lie with Gina Maggio, and her own free will to drop pills down her gullet. As an adult shouldn't she be held responsible for what she freely ingests? If she ingests hardcore narcotics ignorantly and with other drugs, should she bare no responsibility for her own death?
natural selection

United States

#7 Dec 21, 2010
i have no sympathy for overdose deaths. if you take drugs, your dumb, plain and simple. let darwinism take care of people dumb enough to experiment with drugs. this man shouldnt be charged with her death, because she had several drugs in her system...young people need to wise up, if you do drugs, you lose.

“AccountKiller”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#9 Dec 21, 2010
natural selection wrote:
...let darwinism take care of people dumb enough to experiment with drugs.
Oh come on, doctors experiment on you with drugs all the time. You're not that dense are you? Oh, I forgot, most people are...more Cymbalta anyone?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#10 Dec 21, 2010
concerned Mom wrote:
No one can bring Gina back to this earth. However, what Campbell did is despicable. How many other young women has he injected with dangerous and illegal drugs?.
Maybe you know something about this that was not in the article, but I got the impression that Gina and the guy that gave her the drugs were friends, they had gone to the bay area together and come home together and were hanging out at her house together. Sounds to me like they were doing the drugs together, recreationally, and probably taking them orally, I did not read where it said she was "injected" with anything.

Based on the article it seems like she took them willingly and he probably took the same drugs, partying you know, and the problem was that they interacted with some other perscription she was on.

That does not excuse the guy for supplying the drugs, but you make it sound like he snuck them to her when it sounds like she wanted to do it....Big difference you know.

“All the news, all the time.”

Since: Dec 07

Chico, Calif.

#11 Dec 21, 2010
Please refrain from launching personal attacks against your fellow poster. Accusing someone of participating in illegal acts could be considered a personal attack and the comment may be removed.

Per Topix rules, be polite. Please be aware that moderators may remove inappropriate posts and ultimately seek to ban repeat offenders.

If there is a post you would like a moderator to review, please click on the "Report Abuse" link above the post.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Ryan Olson
ChicoER.com
Old and Retired

Chico, CA

#13 Dec 21, 2010
rocky727 wrote:
To Old and Retired: Obviously you have never lost a child. There are many facts in this case of which Greg Welter is not privy to at this point. There is a saying in legal circles: One way of concealing a crime is confessing to a lesser crime.
Well, since you have no idea of my life, whether I have lost a child or not is irrelevant. I simply asked a question about how the article was written! i merely asked for a re visit to the article which said the victim's family reportedly said one thing in one paragraph and then the opposite in another paragraph. The quotes were not from the alleged criminal. They were alledgedly from the parent of the deceased girl.

Location hidden

#15 Dec 21, 2010
rocky727 wrote:
Curtain Rod: You don't know what you are talking about. Gina went to the concert with her girlfriends and JC(Campbell) was tagging along with another female.
Like I said, I just read the article, I don't know anything except what was in the article, and that might not even be accurate.

I was just responding to "concerned Mom" who was talking like the guy gave it to her without her knowledge. If so, that info was not in the article, at all.

That is all.

Location hidden

#17 Dec 21, 2010
concerned Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be nice if the people who post their opinions so openly and carelessly actually researched the facts. Thanks for sharing. I know how much you loved Gina. So did I....some of these posts are so hurtful and scary. Wake up Chico.
My apologies, I did not mean to offend or put salt in the wound of anyone who knew her.

However perhaps your problem is with the reporter, it sounds like the article was not very accurate, based on the article it sounds like they were partying together and she accidentally overdosed because she had other persciption medications in her system. If that is not accurate, sorry, really, but that is kind of what the article says, and I was simply, based on that, pointing out that it seemed a little unfair to call the guy a "predator" when the article made it sound like it was an accident.
concerned Mom

United States

#18 Dec 21, 2010
Curtain Rod wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you know something about this that was not in the article, but I got the impression that Gina and the guy that gave her the drugs were friends, they had gone to the bay area together and come home together and were hanging out at her house together. Sounds to me like they were doing the drugs together, recreationally, and probably taking them orally, I did not read where it said she was "injected" with anything.
Based on the article it seems like she took them willingly and he probably took the same drugs, partying you know, and the problem was that they interacted with some other perscription she was on.
That does not excuse the guy for supplying the drugs, but you make it sound like he snuck them to her when it sounds like she wanted to do it....Big difference you know.
They were not friends. We do not know if Gina took anything "willingly"....it is so easy to blame the victim who is no longer around to defend herself. Campbell is a predator who should be punished accordingly. Wake up, Chico!
BBQd Pork

Colusa, CA

#19 Dec 22, 2010
He should only receive punishment for selling; not for the girl's death. This is a perfect example of why drugs need to be legal.

(1) The guy was obviously not qualified to instruct his customers on safe consumption--I mean, that's why he's being punished, right? Yet, almost everything we buy in the marketplace has clear and thorough instructions and warnings, by law.

(2) I think we all can agree that the guy never intended to kill her. And it seems to have had some impact on him; I mean he left school, right? Plus, he was doing her a favor by breaking the law to supply her (or hook her up) with the drug. For all we know, this guy could have had the best intentions. Maybe he wanted to help her through something difficult, the only way he knew how to? Which brings me to the third and most important reason.

(3) When we blame these kinds of tragedies on something as superficial as drugs, we will never be able to address the larger issues that lead us to drugs, and the escape from reality they provide. Punishing this kid is just needlessly destroying one more life for no good reason. He'll never be able to get a job, we'll have to pay for his prison term in tax dollars, and he'll never be able to contribute what the great faculty at CSUC taught him.

It is really unfortunate to hear about the cost of drugs to society, when prohibition destroys many more lives than the drugs themselves. Maybe if that girl received professional advice, warnings, and instructions with her drugs, she'd still be here. Maybe if that guy could finish school, he could find a cure for something that could save thousands of lives?

Look, if you don't like drugs, don't do them. If you don't want your kids to do drugs, take on that responsibility yourself; don't make the gov do it for you and bill the taxpayers who might not like kids in the first place.

Sorry for the rant. It just makes me really mad when I have to feel like an outcast for what I choose to do in my free time, for reasons that most people would never be able to understand: people who probably wouldn't give a rat's ____ about me otherwise.
Do your research

Elk Grove, CA

#21 Dec 22, 2010
http://www.facebook.com/home.php #!/profile.php?id=1590241562

that is the facebook of mr "john cambel" clean shaven guy looks like he likes to have fun and does not look to be malicious at all. also look at his friends guess who happens to be on there? Gina. So obviously there was some form of a relationship with him and the victim. also she came back from love fest, a huge festival which involves lots of sexual acts and drugs. also this delauded hydromorphone is a hardcore muscle relaxer, guess what you don't have to convince many CSUC students to take one. also the 2 most common forms you can get this drug in are liquid (not for injecting but you drink like cough syrup) and a pill, there was no sneaking in and shooting her up with needles that is just ridiculous.

i am very sad to hear about it early departure from this world, she was very young. but you can not just point fingers at john. yes he is in the wrong for supplying the drugs and he will get hi punishment. but to say he purposely gave her drugs to murder her is just being oblivious.

you must understand there are at least 2 parties at fault here the person supplying, the person taking, and possibly even the friend who allowed this to happen.

all personal attachment aside the likeliness of this being malicious is very unlikely. Sorority girl goes to drug festival and od's. Not too "unbelievable"

i am truly sorry for the family and i do not mean to be rude but people need to hold themselves and loved ones accountable and quit looking for that scapegoat.

So you know what love fest is check this link of a video and watch it all.
concerned Mom

United States

#22 Dec 22, 2010
Do your research wrote:
http://www.facebook.com/home.p hp#!/profile.php?id=1590241562
that is the facebook of mr "john cambel" clean shaven guy looks like he likes to have fun and does not look to be malicious at all. also look at his friends guess who happens to be on there? Gina. So obviously there was some form of a relationship with him and the victim. also she came back from love fest, a huge festival which involves lots of sexual acts and drugs. also this delauded hydromorphone is a hardcore muscle relaxer, guess what you don't have to convince many CSUC students to take one. also the 2 most common forms you can get this drug in are liquid (not for injecting but you drink like cough syrup) and a pill, there was no sneaking in and shooting her up with needles that is just ridiculous.
i am very sad to hear about it early departure from this world, she was very young. but you can not just point fingers at john. yes he is in the wrong for supplying the drugs and he will get hi punishment. but to say he purposely gave her drugs to murder her is just being oblivious.
you must understand there are at least 2 parties at fault here the person supplying, the person taking, and possibly even the friend who allowed this to happen.
all personal attachment aside the likeliness of this being malicious is very unlikely. Sorority girl goes to drug festival and od's. Not too "unbelievable"
i am truly sorry for the family and i do not mean to be rude but people need to hold themselves and loved ones accountable and quit looking for that scapegoat.
So you know what love fest is check this link of a video and watch it all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Pu8ZFeGbre8XX
This did not occur at LoveFest. Please research carefully, as you seem not to know the results of the toxicology report. Were you in the home that night? If you were, then perhaps you lend some credibility? This nice "clean-shaven" guy who does not appear to be malicious is a predator, who has done this to other young women. The people in the home of where this act occurred,(him being one of them) did nothing. Paramedics were called much much later by another party. He fled the scene and ran away. Yeah, nice young man who likes to have fun.
Lightwater

Chico, CA

#23 Dec 22, 2010
Yep, it is Chico's fault, it is "the other people's fault. It's a tragic shame that there is no one else to blame. As long as we are willing to allow the blame to be placed elsewhere we will continue to suffer from these senseless deaths. I assume that Maggio was not Campbell's only alleged "customer" and that no others died from ingesting his prescription poison. Maggio had so many different drugs in her system that police could not tell which one(s) killed her! Dad justifies many of the drugs that killed his daughter because they are "prescription" drugs; hers or someone else's? I am sorry for your loss Mr. Maggio, but if your daughter died from a prescription drug overdose she was a drug abuser. Stop making excuses for prescription drug abusers.
concerned Mom

United States

#24 Dec 22, 2010
Lightwater wrote:
Yep, it is Chico's fault, it is "the other people's fault. It's a tragic shame that there is no one else to blame. As long as we are willing to allow the blame to be placed elsewhere we will continue to suffer from these senseless deaths. I assume that Maggio was not Campbell's only alleged "customer" and that no others died from ingesting his prescription poison. Maggio had so many different drugs in her system that police could not tell which one(s) killed her! Dad justifies many of the drugs that killed his daughter because they are "prescription" drugs; hers or someone else's? I am sorry for your loss Mr. Maggio, but if your daughter died from a prescription drug overdose she was a drug abuser. Stop making excuses for prescription drug abusers.
What exactly was in Gina's system? Why don't you research before you comment? You are blaming the victim, as much as you think that Gina's friends and family are "making excuses." Why don't you leave them alone? Shooting someone up with an illegal and dangerous substance, is no different than pointing a gun and pulling the trigger. And running away on top of it is despicable.
Jenna87

Los Gatos, CA

#25 Dec 22, 2010
tim tam tom wrote:
Yeah no responsibility should lie with Gina Maggio, and her own free will to drop pills down her gullet. As an adult shouldn't she be held responsible for what she freely ingests? If she ingests hardcore narcotics ignorantly and with other drugs, should she bare no responsibility for her own death?
WELL SAID! She was a rational person and she made a rational choice. I am sorry for her family's lost but they shouldn't blame it on someone else. It wasn't his fault she chose to take the drugs, she took it willingly, so accept her death as is!
Sad

Chico, CA

#26 Dec 22, 2010
Co-dependent behavior can usually be found close by any overdose related death. Gina's family suffered a great loss, but Campbell is not a predator or a murderer. Gina chose her drug and her supplier. His punishment should fit his crime...dealing drugs.

Imagine if drugs were legal. Campbell may have finished school and not been a drug dealer. Gina may have had more support for her addiction. Two lives might have been saved. Instead we continue deflecting our own personal responsibility for our lives onto others.

A no win situation if you ask me.
Sad Story

Chico, CA

#28 Dec 22, 2010
Didn't think it posted first time sorry for the double post :(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paradise Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pretty Girls and Their losers 54 min footslaveloser 1
NO WAY that it will GO AWAY!!! 1 hr Both Sides Now 3
International Leaders LAUGH/CRINGE at the TrumP... 1 hr Both Sides Now 8
Trump CAN'T STOP LYING 1 hr Both Sides Now 4
MORE PROOF CONSERVATIVES got DUPED 2 hr Trouble In Paradise 7
Better off with Pence? 2 hr GRANDPA NICOLAI 13
RepubliKLAN & EvangeliKLAN Conduct should be IL... 4 hr OneEvilGodfrey 3

Paradise Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance