Planning Division gives Wal Mart thum...

Planning Division gives Wal Mart thumbs up

There are 152 comments on the The Paradise Post story from Apr 24, 2010, titled Planning Division gives Wal Mart thumbs up. In it, The Paradise Post reports that:

Walmart's application to build a superstore and retail complex at the town's south entrance on Skyway was received and approved by the Town of Paradise.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Paradise Post.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
David Lynch

Oroville, CA

#1 Apr 24, 2010
Can anyone see the mess this will create ? First, if you like traffic problems this project will create a 5 year problem. Second the water will be a problem, taking away from available water to fight fires. Then we have the "gateway to Paradise" tainted with a Wal Mart as our town`s new marquee. Lovely. Why not on lower Pentz or Clark road ? There`s plenty of space and it won`t be as much of an eyesore. I guess Fred Katz has the town council right where he wants them, on their knees so to speak. " Lighting of the candle "?, how about lighting of the dynamite?
Carmen

Palo Cedro, CA

#2 Apr 24, 2010
The people that approved Wal Mart should be kicked out of office. Read the book "How Wal Mart is Destroying America (and the World) by Bill Quinn. It's a scary book, let me tell you. I won't shop at Wal Mart, JoAnn's Fabrics, Sam's Club or Michaels.
June

Chico, CA

#3 Apr 24, 2010
I wonder how many others besides me
are considering moving away when
they break ground for this project.

I live in South Paradise and it is
very sad to me that we will all have
to look at this ugly shopping center.
June

Chico, CA

#4 Apr 24, 2010
Also I wish I knew why my posts show me
as being in Red Bluff....
T-REX

Paradise, CA

#5 Apr 24, 2010
Great once again the town council is telling us that what THEY WANT is more important than what the people want.I can imagine the accidents on Skyway when that is completed,Plus this store will put our lacal K-Mart and other stores out of buisness.I also think they should make it an agreement that they are not allowed to hire anybody that is not a PARADISE resident and has been for at least five years, that includes thier managers
Scholar

Corning, CA

#6 Apr 24, 2010
June wrote:
I wonder how many others besides me
are considering moving away when
they break ground for this project.
Yes, I'm sure there'll be many of you moving to Chico (oops! Walmart town) Redding (oops! Walmart town) or lovely Oroville (yep, one there too.) Maybe try the charming hamlet of Gridley, where you're more substantially isolated from this evil retailer. I've never heard of anyone relocating on grounds that a new business was coming to town. Lack of employment, or crime and gangs, yes, but cheap retail items and a bit of cinder-block architecture is going to uproot you?

You see, that's about as believable as the doomsday scenarios Walmart opponents spout. The new Walmart will spawn traffic jams, crime, poverty, and blight, eh?

If you dislike traffic jams, criticize the town's idea of narrowing Skyway to one lane and increasing parking downtown for all the 2nd-hand merchandisers in their leaky hovel-shops between Elliot and Pearson. Now there's some blight. No, Walmart will want to make sure customers can come and go easily; they'll make sure the town doesn't botch the access/egress planning.

Which businesses in that part of town (or anywhere else in town, for that matter) are the gorgeous ones you Walmart haters approve of? Is it the (pink) Skyway Carousel Motel flophouse? The whole town is a mish-mash of irregular, decrepit structures. Even if it were the ugliest Walmart ever built (which it doesn't have to be; you can help the town address aesthetic concerns if you wish), it would be an improvement over nearly any of the others we have now.

It's great that you WM opponents proudly claim you won't shop there and will be moving out of town. What a great way to minimize the traffic concerns. It's all about choice. But it's not only about YOUR choice. Most Paradisians want an in-town Walmart to shop at and have said so clearly; the fact that you refuse to shop there shouldn't mean the others are denied their choice.
Just Me

United States

#7 Apr 24, 2010
June wrote:
Also I wish I knew why my posts show me
as being in Red Bluff....
It shows you are in Red Bluff because you did not sign up to sign in as a registered user. Therefore it picks your city for you.

“Government IS the problem.”

Since: Jan 08

United States

#8 Apr 24, 2010
Just Me wrote:
<quoted text>It shows you are in Red Bluff because you did not sign up to sign in as a registered user. Therefore it picks your city for you.
You are partially right. If you register with Topix you then have the abililty to choose your location otherwise Topix shows where your IP address is located
Envirologica

United States

#9 Apr 24, 2010
Great news! I'll be applauding when ground is broken and spending when the doors open. If local merchants reduced their prices even a little bit I'd feel differently. However, gouging in the name of "Ridge Bucks" seems to be the intractable mindset of Paradise retailers.
Sick of you Crybabies

Galt, CA

#10 Apr 24, 2010
OH NO !... you mean there will be some competition, for the 'local robber merchants', that have gotten away with charging 150% for their merchandise, just because they know shoppers don't want to drive to Chico all the time ???... wise up, dummies, it's called 'free enterprise'!
Scho

United States

#11 Apr 24, 2010
T-REX wrote:
Great once again the town council is telling us that what THEY WANT is more important than what the people want.I can imagine the accidents on Skyway when that is completed,Plus this store will put our lacal K-Mart and other stores out of buisness.I also think they should make it an agreement that they are not allowed to hire anybody that is not a PARADISE resident and has been for at least five years, that includes thier managers
What the people want? Wasn't there a vote a few years back and the Save our Gateway crowd lost by a two to one margin? It sounds like the majority of people want this to happen.
Lisa

United States

#12 Apr 24, 2010
I hope everyone will visit the new WalMart rather than the local retailers. I mean this is a free market capitalist society. Screw all the small businesses on the Ridge, let's just keep buying sh*t from China and be done with it.

(sarcasm)
Happy shopper

AOL

#13 Apr 24, 2010
Yayy add me to the list of people who cant wait to spend my money at a OUR walmart instead of having to go to Chico.
Charla Hatton

Chico, CA

#14 Apr 24, 2010
What I've never understood (and still don't) is the argument that a Wal-Mart is going to bring increased tax revenues and jobs to the ridge. Wal-Mart sells groceries and household goods and other stuff that people use in daily life. They are already purchasing those items from somewhere. If they're purchasing the non-grocery items from Chico and start purchasing them here, I can see why that would increase the tax revenue. But groceries don't have sales tax, so there's no increase there. And if people simply switch buying from local merchants and start buying from Wal-Mart because the prices are lower, then the overall spending will actually be less, meaning lower sales tax instead of higher.

All the aesthetic and traffic considerations aside, Wal-Mart traditionally puts a significant number of local, smaller competitors out of business when it enters a community. That doesn't mean a net increase in jobs. So if we're going to have the same or less sales tax revenue to fund local government needs like fire and police, and if we are not going to have an increase in jobs, the only thing the Wal-Mart can provide is convenience for those people who like Wal-Mart and don't want to drive the 10 miles or so the one in Chico. Some people will be winners, but it doesn't look as if the community as a whole will be a winner.
Jack

Chico, CA

#15 Apr 24, 2010
If we are going to have a Walmart then we also need to have a Target too.
Molly

Chico, CA

#16 Apr 24, 2010
Walmart=Huge Corporate Profits=Killing Small Business=Destroying Rural Areas=Polluting Our Wells (wouldn't want to live on the downside of a Walmart if you have a well, and since I have only 3805 characters left to write with (which isn't nearly enough, you might want to check this out. Most people that leave comments can spare 2:49 (2 minutes) of their time and then if you have a couple of hours to spare, rent the movie. It'll will be well worth your time.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/
ToCharla

United States

#17 Apr 24, 2010
Your logic fails here. The problem with the ridge is that it is not a retirement community any longer. It is a place where working families need to stick to a budget. Most of the working families up here go down to Chico to buy their groceries because the stores up here charge sometimes twice as much for the exact same products that can be had at Walmart and Winco. And what local businesses up here are worth shopping at if you're on a budget?? NONE! Antiques? Scrapbooking? Give me a break. There is nothing on the ridge that cannot be had for less in Chico or online. Bringing Walmart up here (especially a Walmart with groceries) will keep more tax dollars up here and help those with limited transportation. This is a good thing. The voters voted for it. Now let's have it. "Save our Gateway"? Go save your own limited intelligence.
Charla Hatton

Chico, CA

#18 Apr 24, 2010
To the person who posted as ToCharla: I readily acknowledge the value of Wal-Mart to families on a budget who are looking for low prices. My problem is with the argument that Wal-Mart brings more tax dollars to the ridge. We don't pay sales tax on groceries, which seems to be the primary thing you want a local Wal-Mart to carry.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to insult my intelligence because I posed a question and gave my reasons for not understanding a common argument in support of Wal-Mart. You and I may not see eye to eye on a subject, but it doesn't mean that either one of us is stupid. It is apparent, however, that one of us is rude.
BenThere DoneThat

United States

#19 Apr 24, 2010
My wife and I were completely in favor of having a WalMart here in Paradise until we visited our first "Super" WalMart in Yuba city. Yuk! That place was huge, couldn't find anything, took way too long to get into the right area of the store, and the prices were not that good. At least the Walmart in Chico can be navigated in a reasonable time.

If it opens, K-Mart will definitely close, not that I like K-Mart that much. I could also picture a couple-three grocery stores closing. I'm not sure I want that.
ToCharla

United States

#20 Apr 24, 2010
You can have a problem with the argument all you want, you're still wrong. Studies show that if you can get a customer into a store to buy one thing, they will likely buy others in the same store. Meaning that if Walmart can lure buyers in to buy cheaper groceries (not to mention the time and fuel savings from not having to go to Chico) those same buyers will likely buy many other non-grocery items as well. Why do you think Walmart went into the grocery business in the first place? To help families? No. It was to lure them in to buy other low-priced goods while they are there. It's the way things are. People have so much going on in their lives (children, work, school, little league, soccer) that they cannot afford to spend the amounts of time required to go from store to store to get what they need.

And the limited intelligence comment was not directed at you specifically. It was directed at the Save our Gateway crowd that refused to accept that the people want Walmart here. They called for the vote (it is true that the vote was not specifically to approve Walmart coming to town, but let's be real, that's what the majority of the voters wanted when they voted), it didn't go their way, and now they want to ignore it and keep complaining and trying to stop it. Maybe you call it rude, but I call the calling out those that wish to ignore the will of the voters for their own selfish and misguided ends the right thing to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paradise Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Replenish the aquifer (Jan '14) 2 hr Middle of the road 516
Just to prove a point. . . . . . . 4 hr Middle of the road 25
Experts say the "BIG ONE" is coming soon 4 hr TWP 11
How Many ILLEGALS TRUMP EMPLOY? 4 hr GRANDPA NOT A LIAR 9
TRUMP calls GOP candidates FAILURES 4 hr GRANDPA NICOLAI 3
OBAMA slaps TRUMP and HACK-A-BEE 4 hr GRANDPA NOT A LIAR 23
YOUR tax dollars at WORK 4 hr GRANDPA NICOLAI 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paradise Mortgages