Gretna teen ordered to stand trial in friends' deaths

Full story: Beatrice Daily Sun

A Gretna teen was ordered to stand trial Monday in the deaths of two friends. Authorities have said 17-year-old Matthew Robinson was the driver of a car that crashed Dec.
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Feb 4, 2009
Father of teens

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2007

I had a lot of sympathy for this kid.... until... I saw the story that he was going 101mph... that's enough to say go to trial - the rest is now additional evidence... if he would have been a fairly normal speed of 45-55mph then I would have said it was a very stupid mistake and he's had enough punishment, but 101mph!
dear friend of jake

Bellevue, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2007

Matt is a good kid and a young one at that all this saying that "it was unfamilliar territoy" is bs he drives that road all the time weather it was to the sarpy country fair(in springfield) or to there friends in louisville they still drove that road. Anyone that has drivin the road knows that the road is windy and curvy and when your being chased its a different story. Matt should not be responsible for the others not wearing seatbelts it was there choice. Lee Polikov is doing a wrong thing bye sentancing him to 2 felonys=40 years
Couple monthes earlier Sarah Roach was drinking and killed her friend out on 180th and platteview and she only got 2 years probation
Father of teens

La Vista, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2007

But Sara was not going 101 mph - that's the difference.
Andy

Northbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2007

Father of teens wrote:
But Sara was not going 101 mph - that's the difference.
I don't belive anyone was chasing Sara either. What do you think sending Matt to prison for this is going to accomplish? There are numerous options for teaching him a lesson that could involve helping others. Prison is no place for a young man to be. He made a HUGE mistake! He will pay for that night for the rest of his life.
Proud American

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2007

Published Friday | May 18, 2007
Gretna teenager faces felony in crash that killed two friends
BY JOE DEJKA
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

A Gretna teenager will stand trial on two charges of felony motor vehicle homicide in the crash that killed two of his friends. A judge denied a defense attorney's request that the charges be reduced to misdemeanors.

Sarpy County District Judge David Arterburn wrote in his ruling that several factors leading up to the crash constituted reckless driving. Those were Matthew Robinson's inexperience as a driver and speeding 101 mph on a dark road with two passengers in the car after consuming some alcohol.

The crash Dec. 28 killed Kyle Lavigne and Jacob Hurd, both 17.

Robinson's defense attorney James Martin Davis had argued that speeding, even 101 mph, doesn't equate to reckless driving.

Although Robinson's blood alcohol level was .024 percent - an apparent violation of Nebraska's zero-tolerance law for minors - he was not legally drunk or impaired when the crash occurred, Davis said.

State law defines reckless driving as driving in a manner that indicates an indifferent or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.

Robinson rolled his car at 180th Street and Platteview Road, on which the posted speed limit is 55 mph.
Terrible Situation

La Vista, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2007

This is a horrible situation and I truly feel sorry for the young man and his family, but that doesn't discount my general agreement with Judge Arterburn.

The statement that "dear friend of jake" makes about [Matt should not be responsible for the others not wearing seatbelts it was there choice] I do disagree with. You are correct that people not wearing their belts is a choice, but the driver also has a responsibility to insure they buckle up - its the law. It is a shared responsibility and choice. The driver has the choice to not start the car, the driver has the choice to not transport them. The driver choosing to drive with them unbuckled puts at least some of the blame on the driver and could be a contributing factor in the reckless driving.

I also agree that the excess speed [over 100 miles per hour!] is a reckless [almost criminal] situation.

Finally all teens know of zero tolerance with drinking.

If just drinking and no belts I would agree with a punishment much lighter, but the criminal level of the speed is a major contributing factor.

I truly feel sorry of this boy, but the justice is not out of line.

I just pray that this is a huge wakeup call for other youngsters.

I also hope that if an adult provided the liquor that this is traced back to them and they are prosecuted - there is a bill in the legislature that will make adults more responsible when they provide liquor to kids and I hope it passes.

A bad situation for all. No matter where you stand we should be in prayer for all involved. Good kids do stupid things and those can have lifelong ramifications. I pray that those close to this young man rally behind him while is in incarcerated and don't forget him. He will need that support and encouragement.
lived it

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

Andy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't belive anyone was chasing Sara either. What do you think sending Matt to prison for this is going to accomplish? There are numerous options for teaching him a lesson that could involve helping others. Prison is no place for a young man to be. He made a HUGE mistake! He will pay for that night for the rest of his life.
As will Sarah. The real issue is, how can we help others learn from their mistakes. Everyone pays in this situation. and Sarah did get some jail time too, she didn't just get probation.
Throwaway teen

Urbandale, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2007

That's what Matt Robinson is, and it's sad that anyone - especially his classmates who voted him prom king - is supporting him. Not only was he driving reckless and drinking, but he initially tried to pin the blame on his dead friends when he lied to officers and said Jacob was the driver. He's old enough to be tried and punished as an adult. But our society of helicopter parents will protect this worthless spoiled brat, sending a message to other teens that it's OK to make a "mistake" that slaughters two young kids who didn't deserve to die.
brittany

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

this kid came 2 my scool i felt bad 4 him the side u didnt here is that he was being chased by drug addicts literally..... then he crashed now he has 2 deal with hs friends parents he feels rly bad about wut he did he misses his friends he wish he could take it all back!!
brittany

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

the difference is he was being chased thats not fair i cant take it thatit was there faults 4 not wearing there seatbelts if they had they would still b alive!!!!!!
brittany

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

ok so he was being chased it would of happend even ifhis friends who died drove that car they would of died either way cuz they werent wearing there seatbelts its not fair 2 him he didnt intend 2 kill his friends it was a car ACCIDENT!!!!!here that word!!!!!!!!!ACCIDENT!!
Obbop

Forney, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2008

An illegal alien with no insurance is typically given minimal sentences for these acts.

Why are we tougher on citizens?

Do some research, learn what the mass media and our politicians do not tell you... far more Americans have died at the hands of illegal aliens (murders, drunk driving wrecks, etc) than at the hands of Islamic terrorists.

Try this news story:

http://tinyurl.com/4lqn8q

A different one

http://tinyurl.com/4rxrw2
a true friend

Bellevue, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

I was friends with the boys and Matt was being chased! The fact that he has to live with the fact that he is "legally" responsible for Jake and Kyle's death breaks his heart every single day and he has to live with that for the rest of his life! Had i still been in school I would have voted him KING as well...he was hurt too, emotionally, mentally and physically. You people act like he walked away without a scratch!!! He was at the boys' funerals in his body cast and wheelchair with pain in his eyes so deep. And I kniw for a fact Jake and Kyle would not want Matt to be sentanced.
a true friend

Bellevue, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Judged:

Throwaway teen wrote:
That's what Matt Robinson is, and it's sad that anyone - especially his classmates who voted him prom king - is supporting him. Not only was he driving reckless and drinking, but he initially tried to pin the blame on his dead friends when he lied to officers and said Jacob was the driver. He's old enough to be tried and punished as an adult. But our society of helicopter parents will protect this worthless spoiled brat, sending a message to other teens that it's OK to make a "mistake" that slaughters two young kids who didn't deserve to die.
Who the hell are you to judge Matt?? obviously you didn't know any of the boys since you referred to Jake as Jacob and NO ONE called him that!! Were you at the funerals, did you see the remorse and the tears in his face? I don't think so!! Were you there in the hospital when Matt woke up, not knowing Jake and Kyle were gone? He didn't slaughter anyone and as much as i love the boys it was their choice to not wear their seatbelts! You don't have to live with the loss of Kyle and Jake so of course you don't care but for those of US who go to the courts and drive the gravels in rememberance understand and know Matt's hurt! You really have nothing better to do than judge him...only the lord's judgement matters and HE WHO REPENTS SHALL BE FORGIVEN!! I know where i'm going and i know I wont see you there!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Papillion Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Papillion People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••