Extreme Anti-Smoking

Omaha, NE

#1 Sep 26, 2007
Task force wants smoke out of zoo
By: Zachary McDonald, Times Staff Writer
09/26/2007
Updated 09/26/2007 04:15:35 PM EDT
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
Henry Doorly Zoo is in the sights of the Sarpy County and Metro Omaha Tobacco coalitions as the next public place where they want smoking banned.
The groups joined together with the Tobacco Free Cass County coalition to form the Smoke-Free Zoo Task Force and push legislators to make Henry Doorly 100 percent smoke-free.

Diana Failla, program director for the Sarpy County Tobacco Coalition and the Smoke-Free Zoo Task Force, said the change has already been made in 81 zoos across the country, including the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. and the Philadelphia Zoo, and it's time for Omaha to do the same.

"The Henry Doorly Zoo is one of the top zoos in the country," she said. "It is frequently visited by young children who especially are vulnerable to second-hand smoke."

The zoo currently has 18 designated smoking areas, but that doesn't fix the problem in Failla's eyes.

"Those designated areas are pretty much the only places you can sit down," she said. "They're placed in areas where the children and animals are."
She added that it is very hard to enforce the designated smoking areas, noting that she has seen people walking around the zoo with cigarettes in their hands.

Even cutting down the number of designated smoking areas wouldn't pacify the coalition.
"It wouldn't be making a statement by the zoo that we're a healthy environment," Failla said.
Zoo director Dr. Lee Simmons said the issue has been discussed and he feels the designated smoking areas are enough.

"It's the feeling of the executive board that the zoo has made reasonable accommodations to prevent the nonsmoking zoo visitor from being exposed to smoke," Simmons said.

This report contains information from Midlands News Service.
©Suburban Newspapers 2007
Crazy

Omaha, NE

#2 Sep 27, 2007
This is the stupidest thing I have heard. The zoo is primarily OUTDOORS... guess what, the smoke disapates... I might concede to no indoor smoking, but the majority of the zoo is outdoors. what, if this goes thru then the next thing will be to ban smoking at Mahoney State Park or Platte River State Park... oh wait - no smokiing in Halleck Park or City Park. Oh my gosh, someone is driving down the street smoking, better stop them.... oops, I stepped onto a public street in front of my house, no smoking
shirfire

Kremmling, CO

#3 Dec 12, 2008
No, the smoke does not dissipate. It is breathed in by people with severe asthma among others. Yes, someday, reaching an intelligence level beyone yours; there will be no smoking in those parks, just as there is not in California and Utah parks (as well as beaches in California) currently where culture and civilization has reached a bit sooner.
Law

Omaha, NE

#4 Jul 19, 2009
shirfire wrote:
No, the smoke does not dissipate. It is breathed in by people with severe asthma among others. Yes, someday, reaching an intelligence level beyone yours; there will be no smoking in those parks, just as there is not in California and Utah parks (as well as beaches in California) currently where culture and civilization has reached a bit sooner.
If you say so, dullard.Com ing from the Peoples Republic of Colorado we can expect as much from you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Papillion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins! (Jan '11) Aug 19 Princess Hey 75
Depression, pain n anxiety treatment; Aug 18 Veteran 1
where r some gay or bi men that I can meet in o... (Oct '12) Aug 17 Rob 3
Jeremy (Jay) Franks owner of Evolution Systems Aug 16 Marlene 20
News 10 teens across America reveal what their lives... Aug 12 SeriouslyWanda 11
Celebrity Homes (Jun '06) Aug 11 Shelly 236
Review: Blue Moon Fitness (Aug '13) Aug 5 Smiley 11

Papillion Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Papillion Mortgages