Convicted of child sexual assault, horse-riding teacher maintai...

Full story: Omaha World-Herald

He was a rising star in Bellevue, an enthusiastic community advocate and gifted horse handler who taught riding and life skills to children through his Barebacks and Bells club.
Comments
21 - 40 of 85 Comments Last updated Apr 27, 2014
Barnaby Jones

Omaha, NE

#23 Apr 25, 2009
Why are people still commenting on this two year old article? Because this guy, who served time in prison for sexually assaulting a child, is still running a club for children. Everything about this guy and his club reeks of pedophilia. Thank you CommonSense for pointing out the creepiness of "Barebacks". I thought the same thing, but thought I might be reading too much into it. I'm pretty sure it used to be "Belles", like "Little Southern Belles" (extra creepy), which was probably changed on the advice of his legal council.
RBR says she was alone with him all the time and he never did anything. Lots of people assert that their daughters were alone with him often and young women assert that they were alone with him frequently as children and he never did anything. What is this guy doing always being alone with pre-pubescent girls? Something seems wrong with that. I had dozens of teachers and they never went out of their way to be alone with me like this guy does. When I was about 12 I did meet one guy who always wanted to be alone with me, but never did anything. He was a nice old well-trusted, John Wayne Gasey-like guy who just loved children. He liked to talk to me about going camping and how fun it would be and how sad it was that my dad did not have time to take me and how I needed more of a father figure in my life. He was such nice old guy. On our third or fourth one-on-one chat, I noticed he had an erection visible in his pants. I decided camping wasn't too important to me after this, but never mentioned it as no one would have believed anything bad about this nice old man. I started avoiding him like the plaugue and he died soon after. Anyway, Putz and this guy clearly read the same training manual on dealing with children as they use the exact same M.O.
One important conclusion I have drawn about Putz is that he is not the criminal mastermind I first thought he was. He is just a brazen idiot motivated by a lust for young girls who figured out from trial and error that horses are a good way attract young girls and build trust with their parents who are desperate to find a cheap hobby for their kids. Somehow, I guess this guy is preferable to other trouble they might get into. This guy really is a dumbass who happens to commit crimes that no one wants to admit to being the victim of. It is a little surprising that the community tolerates Barebacks and Bells, but I guess people figure that the morons who subject their children to this guy would just be doing something else stupid with their kids if they weren't bringing them to Putz. Somehow this guy gets to attend parades and raise money by selling fireworks. I admit this irritates me, but I guess I don't have to go to these parades or buy his fireworks.
Half Fast

Minneapolis, MN

#24 May 10, 2009
Putz supporter wrote:
He really just wants to mentor your daughters and hold them securely while he teaches horse-riding. Since you're doing all of this, you shouldn't mind teaching your daughters how to keep their mouths shut and not to reveal secrets that should only be between them and nice horse-riding teachers.
Thanks again!
Parents, first riding lesson for your girls: the saddle horn should be in front of them, not behind.
Barnaby Jones

Omaha, NE

#25 May 14, 2009
I just saw this guy driving around with a truck-load of young girls. Seriously. I'm not kidding. How and why is this legal? Even if he had not been convicted of sexually assaulting a child, something would still appear creepy and wrong with an old man driving around with a bunch of teenage girls. There is the occasional supervision by adults so stupid that they believe Putz' story about only confessing because he thought he may have a bad case of the sniffles coming on. I still think this jerk may be up to no good. When it comes out that this guy really was a pretty prolific child molester everyone who helped him or just chose to ignore his textbook pedophilic behavior needs to turn themselves in to the State Patrol to see if there is anything they can be charged with.
Once a BNB always a BNB

Gig Harbor, WA

#26 May 26, 2009
Barnaby Jones wrote:
Why are people still commenting on this two year old article? Because this guy, who served time in prison for sexually assaulting a child, is still running a club for children. Everything about this guy and his club reeks of pedophilia. Thank you CommonSense for pointing out the creepiness of "Barebacks". I thought the same thing, but thought I might be reading too much into it. I'm pretty sure it used to be "Belles", like "Little Southern Belles" (extra creepy), which was probably changed on the advice of his legal council.
RBR says she was alone with him all the time and he never did anything. Lots of people assert that their daughters were alone with him often and young women assert that they were alone with him frequently as children and he never did anything. What is this guy doing always being alone with pre-pubescent girls? Something seems wrong with that. I had dozens of teachers and they never went out of their way to be alone with me like this guy does. When I was about 12 I did meet one guy who always wanted to be alone with me, but never did anything. He was a nice old well-trusted, John Wayne Gasey-like guy who just loved children. He liked to talk to me about going camping and how fun it would be and how sad it was that my dad did not have time to take me and how I needed more of a father figure in my life. He was such nice old guy. On our third or fourth one-on-one chat, I noticed he had an erection visible in his pants. I decided camping wasn't too important to me after this, but never mentioned it as no one would have believed anything bad about this nice old man. I started avoiding him like the plaugue and he died soon after. Anyway, Putz and this guy clearly read the same training manual on dealing with children as they use the exact same M.O.
One important conclusion I have drawn about Putz is that he is not the criminal mastermind I first thought he was. He is just a brazen idiot motivated by a lust for young girls who figured out from trial and error that horses are a good way attract young girls and build trust with their parents who are desperate to find a cheap hobby for their kids. Somehow, I guess this guy is preferable to other trouble they might get into. This guy really is a dumbass who happens to commit crimes that no one wants to admit to being the victim of. It is a little surprising that the community tolerates Barebacks and Bells, but I guess people figure that the morons who subject their children to this guy would just be doing something else stupid with their kids if they weren't bringing them to Putz. Somehow this guy gets to attend parades and raise money by selling fireworks. I admit this irritates me, but I guess I don't have to go to these parades or buy his fireworks.
First Off it has always been called Barebacks and Bells. The way that we came up w/ our name is because we ride bareback, saddles are for those who dont know how to truely ride and that are pussies, and the the bells part is because of the fact that we put bells on their feet when we ride in parades. Second off yes there are girls that ride but there are about 1/2 of the club that are boys that ride too.I dont see anyone saying anything about the boys that ride in the club. Mr. Putz, due to respect for our elders that he has taught so many of us, or "olde Man" as those who have been riding as long as me call him. Not only teachs us how to ride horses but many life lessons w/ the use of horses w/ some trhing that he calls APJAR - Awareness- be aware of ur surroundings, Preception - take in what is going on arround u, Judgement - decide on what you are going to do, Action - act on the decidion u made, Responsiblity - take resposibility of what ever happens due to ur action good or bad. this is his main goal behind BNB not to teach one how to ride a horse it is just an add benifit. If you ask me the world needs more people to like Mr. Putz.
Once a BNB always a BNB

Gig Harbor, WA

#27 May 26, 2009
First Off it has always been called Barebacks and Bells. The way that we came up w/ our name is because we ride bareback, saddles are for those who dont know how to truely ride and that are pussies, and the the bells part is because of the fact that we put bells on their feet when we ride in parades. Second off yes there are girls that ride but there are about 1/2 of the club that are boys that ride too.I dont see anyone saying anything about the boys that ride in the club. Mr. Putz, due to respect for our elders that he has taught so many of us, or "olde Man" as those who have been riding as long as me call him. Not only teachs us how to ride horses but many life lessons w/ the use of horses w/ some trhing that he calls APJAR - Awareness- be aware of ur surroundings, Preception - take in what is going on arround u, Judgement - decide on what you are going to do, Action - act on the decidion u made, Responsiblity - take resposibility of what ever happens due to ur action good or bad. this is his main goal behind BNB not to teach one how to ride a horse it is just an add benifit. If you ask me the world needs more people to like Mr. Putz.
Once a BNB always a BNB

Gig Harbor, WA

#28 May 26, 2009
Another thing over the, if I remember right, 20 plus years that Mr. Putz has been running BNB why is it that only one person has gome forward? I can tell you why. The girl that accused him of this crime was interested in a horse that she along w/ several others was training. Her b-day was coming up and since "Olde Man" had aquired horses for other riders she asked him for this horse for her b-day present. But because she didnt not meet the qualifications that he sets up for one to buy one of his horses, he told her "No!" shortly afterwords this young lady quit riding and then came up w/ this story. Another thing if what she says "Olde Man" did is true why did she continue having her mother/grandfather take her to BNB for like three/four more years.
Barnaby Jones

Omaha, NE

#29 Jun 3, 2009
After reading the entries submitted by the members of this horse club, it is clear that Mr. Putz does not teach anyone how to express themselves well in writing. These posts read like they are written by nine year olds. What these posts from Putz supporters make clear is the sad reality of why he is still in business. Despite the best intentions of lawmakers, police, child therapists, prosecuting attorneys, newspaper reporters, and, hopefully, the general public, there will always be people incapable of making good decisions and willing to follow anone who promises guidance. If Mr. Putz were not available, the members of his club would, likely, be desperately looking for something else to be a part of and someone else as bad or worse to promise direction for their and their childrens lives. Mr. Putz offers the common, unifying enemy, the special things that make members better than everyone else and, most importantly, relief from the burden and responsibility of having to make your own decisions or decisions for your children. If you feel that you need to find the the structure and direction for your life at a horse riding club led by a convicted child molester, it seems pretty unlikely that things were going to go well for you in any case.
Barnaby Jones

Omaha, NE

#30 Jun 14, 2009
Often, the strongest defenders of abusers are the victims of the abuser.
proud bnb member

Omaha, NE

#31 Jun 19, 2009
ive been a proud member of barebacks and bells 4 many years and i know hes innocent.all u people need 2 quit judging him.uve never spent time with him and dont know what a kind person he is.u all need 2 quit with judging someone u dont know.our horse clubis a safe and i know that 4 a fact
acting president

Omaha, NE

#32 Jun 19, 2009
i now run the club and im a 41yr old mother of 5. i love jesus and my children are strong christians and we are very involved in our community church. also my father is a street preacher. all i have to say is jesus died for you and the whole world.peace...
question

Omaha, NE

#33 Jun 20, 2009
i wonder what some of your stories are? you can feel good about judging but what could people judge you about ? trust me i know you all dont walk on water .
Pacific Northwest

AOL

#34 Jun 20, 2009
Frankly,
I am so sick of the child molesters. Countless children are raped and molested and killed by already convicted child molesters that we are forced to live amoung in our neighborhoods.
It keeps happening because we as a society allow it. All the do gooders that are ruining this country are afraid we will step on the sex perverts rights. Some day society will take this into their own hands. Personally, I think sex offenders should be given to the men of the family they offended.
Barnaby Jones

Omaha, NE

#35 Jun 20, 2009
So, maybe, this gruesome old pedophile is just a victim of persecution the same way Jesus was? It's pretty obvious that Barebacks and Bells is one of the dumbest cults to ever exist and that "acting president" is an idiot. It is estimated that for every child molestation conviction, the molester has abused something like 50 other children. I hope another of Putz' victims has the courage to come forward and "acting president" goes to prison along with Putz. Religeon is not an excuse to entirely abandon good judgement. Even Jesus cannot protect someone as stupid as you. How is this peodophile the best thing you can find to fill the void in your life?
Pacific Northwest

AOL

#36 Jun 21, 2009
Barnaby,
That's side speak if I have ever read it!! Very good! What this has to do with religon or Jesus is not even the point. Geeeeeeez focus!
Barnaby Jones

Omaha, NE

#37 Jun 21, 2009
Thanks for the corroboration Pacific Northwest. Dragging religeon into this seems really bizarre. I don't understand how being a good Christian is supposed excuse anyone in this club from the criminal stupidity they are engaging in. It really annoys when someone places the burden entirely on Jesus or God to protect them from their own stupidity.

Club members need to read one article descibing a pedophilic cult leader or maybe a couple hundred articles describing cults with aspects of sexual abuse. They all describe a person exactly like Mr. Putz. This guy doesn't even have the respect for club members to mix things up a little. He practices pedophilia straight out of the textbook. Putz claims to be a horse riding teacher and mentor. He also has a pretty solid conviction for child molestion behind him. How does he come to be almost worshipped as a martyr by club members?

There is no way any child is safe in this club. A pedophile holds almost the status of a religous figure and adult members readily put into writing how bad or totally absent their judgement is. Every defense of this guy sounds like China Syndrome. Seriously, does anyone know how to bring this to the attention to a professional willing and able to help? This has the potential to be the most disturbing Lifetime movie ever made.
chiefs7772004

Omaha, NE

#38 Jun 26, 2009
Some people do believe they can walk on water. Some people also believe they have the right to judge another human being. Some people also have the ignorance in which to speak about something they know nothing about. Barebacks and belles is in good hands. If you can't stand that fact, it's your opinion your entitled to. However, if you believe youre the one to judge someone, or the aforementioned club, even before God himself, you my friends are the ones with a problem.
bbb member

Omaha, NE

#39 Jul 5, 2009
ok all of you listian. you do not know what barebacks and bells is about. we are a family. lol someone called us a cult. HA! you are so wrong. you know any of you could be accused. all it takes is for you to be alone with one attention starved little girl and BAM! your a sex offender. you do not know mr putz and you dont know us. all of you need to stop judging someone you dont know because i PROMISE you, you are all wrong. bbb people are some of the most amazing, strong willed, determined and talanted horse handlers you will ever meet. including putz. go ahead say what you want cuz we will just laugh in your face because we know the truth, and we know we are better then all of you people who think you know it all. wow your dub lol.
Barnaby Jones

Omaha, NE

#40 Jul 6, 2009
bbb member

Omaha, NE

#41 Jul 6, 2009
barnaby. you do not know what you are talking about. you do not know him
bbb member

Omaha, NE

#42 Jul 6, 2009
barnaby, can you tell me why you think you know this man is guilty. you do not know him personaly and if you met him, you would change your mind. you know this could even happen to you. all it would take is a little girl to get mad because she cant have her way, or she could just be starved for attetion, and if she goes and says you raped her, everyone would belive her even if you never touched her. i am a riding instructor at bbb and we are a big family NOT A CULT! get your mind right

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Papillion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Great Plains Mental Health Association Thu abc 1
Wanting to level my driveway approach by grindi... Aug 26 Dan 3
Where is the best pizza in town? Aug 26 Lardo 2
Post Your Comments (Sep '07) Aug 23 aprelskoog 39
tina Mahoney Aug 23 wildace40 2
Roads projects through 2040 carry hefty price tag Aug 22 Text Please 1
Suicide/Shooting of Omaha Man Aug 22 Go big red 1
•••
•••
•••