A town where the good ol' boys are girls

There are 20 comments on the Buffalo News story from Apr 9, 2008, titled A town where the good ol' boys are girls. In it, Buffalo News reports that:

“And we ran and we're doing it. We're conducting the business of the city and we're doing a good job.”

Patty Baer, the mayor of McLean, Texas, poses with a city vehicle, April 2, 2008. via Buffalo News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Buffalo News.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Just Wondering

United States

#1 Apr 9, 2008
Since the posting o this article two city employes have left.!!!!!!!!!
arm

Mclean, TX

#2 Apr 9, 2008
[Since the posting o this article two city employes have left.!!!!!!!!!
and the mayor is not doing agood job!!!!!!!!
Just an observer

Mclean, TX

#3 Apr 9, 2008
Someone should write an article about what's really going on in McLean.
BIGR

Mclean, TX

#4 Apr 10, 2008
ONE Employe 8 year with City.
ONE Employe 18 year with City.
City not doing too good?
BIGR

Mclean, TX

#5 Apr 10, 2008
Employes are going form City.
BIGR

Mclean, TX

#6 Apr 10, 2008
ONE Employe 8 year with City.
ONE Employe 18 year with City.
City not doing too good?
Employes Left City.
SuperChick

Tulsa, OK

#7 Apr 10, 2008
I'm from that town and know one of the guys that left the city. And he had good reason to. Among that, the town is going downhill fast. Luckily there are a few people that I graduated with that are moving back to town. Now it won't look SO trashy! You can garauntee that I will NEVER move back there...ever! It's so sad to drive thru town and see how poorly all the houses are taken care of or see nasty people sitting out on there front porch on a torn up couch. It looks like a scene from Deliverence. Someone needs to come in and clean that place up instead of letting it look like the poor east side of Amarillo.
SuperChick

Tulsa, OK

#8 Apr 10, 2008
Sorry, that was supposed to say "sitting out on their front porch" instead of "there front porch".
Just Wondering

United States

#9 Apr 10, 2008
Betsey Blaney with The Assosiated Press wrote this story.
Hmmmmm

United States

#10 Apr 10, 2008
I'm sure Chet is very happy with the way the town is being run. Six years working for the city? Does that include the time that he was fired from the city and worked somewhere else? I wish I went to church with the mayor so I could get a good job regardless of qualifications. I think instead of making educated decisions, they make decisions based on the latest local gossip and on their somewhat skewed opinions regardless of what the right thing to do may be. Sometimes qualifications do matter and I hope that next time McLean elects a mayor, they remember that.
Fed up

Mclean, TX

#11 Apr 10, 2008
I doubt the real story would sell like the one praising the "Good Ole Gals". It's not P.C.
The real story is more about deceit, abuse of power, crony ism and the failure of City government to provide for it's citizens and employees.
But if "we all" fail to get out and vote in the upcoming election we can blame no one but ourselves and we can look forward to even more of the same.
Curious

Mclean, TX

#12 Apr 11, 2008
Did anyone notice the name under the picture of the mayor? Patty Baer instead of Peggy Baer, that's ironic to me, because in reality the city is being ran by a combination Patty Brass and Peggy Baer. And I thought interim mayors only had power when the current mayor was indisposed for some reason or has left office. I didn't know interim meant "co-mayor".
And let's not forget the City Director that was doing a great job for the city that was ran off so Chet could have his position and what about nepitism?
I have no problem with all city council and mayor just a problem with this one.
SuperChick

Tulsa, OK

#13 Apr 11, 2008
AND Chet is a JERK! Always has been, always will be.
Just wandering

Amarillo, TX

#14 Apr 11, 2008
Who is running the city Toni or Chet? Somebody needs to get ahold on this problem.Mayor is doesnt look good on your part!!!!!!I think we need a new city council dont you??????
Whats The Big Deal

Amarillo, TX

#15 Apr 11, 2008
It seems to me that Toni and Chet have a plan that they have conjured up and are sticking to it! There are too many chiefs and not enough indians in this town and it needs to change!! If it doesn't there is not going to be a McLean, Texas left. So what are we going to do next?...
cONCERNED

United States

#16 Apr 11, 2008
LETS HEAR FROM THE PEOPLE AT ELECTION TIME
cONCERNED

United States

#17 Apr 11, 2008
THIS SMALL TOWN STUFF WILL ONLY GO SO FAR! LET THE PEOPLE BE HEARD! gET OUT THERE AND VOICE YOUR OPINION AND VOTE FOR THE PEOPLE THAT WILL SAVE YOUR TOWN! OTHERWISE, I WOULD HATE TO SAY WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO YOUR SWEET LITTLE TOWN. DON'T LET POLITICS COME BETWEEN YOU! DO WHAT IS RIGHT! SLEEP TONIGHT!
CONCERNED

United States

#18 Apr 11, 2008
why was chet fired in the first place? and why was he hired back? was ther not a majority vote? what kind of democracy are you running there? if a person is fired for just cause, you do NOT hire them back as a supervisor.
CONCERNED

United States

#19 Apr 11, 2008
Just Wondering wrote:
Betsey Blaney with The Assosiated Press wrote this story.
she put together this story! ask her how many quotes she had and how much she learned from eavsdropping?
just wondering

Amarillo, TX

#20 Apr 14, 2008
City mothers meet tonight oh excuse me city aldermen or is that persons. WHATEVER, will the town be saved tonight? Wonder why the council has asked the EMS DIRECTOR to be there?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Panhandle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
joshua troy pendleton 2 hr bigdave2015 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 2 hr fartering 826
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 4 hr Farting 641
News Wind farms could boost economy in the Panhandle May 2 Hail 1
News Heavy rain to continue May 1 Nederland Texas 1
Anyone know angel franks? (Oct '14) Apr 29 bigdave2015 24
Shelley Holdren (Jun '14) Apr 27 yeah its me 17
More from around the web

Panhandle People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]