Updated: Citing abuse, officials clos...

Updated: Citing abuse, officials close Heritage Boys Academy

There are 59 comments on the Panama City News Herald story from Jun 5, 2010, titled Updated: Citing abuse, officials close Heritage Boys Academy. In it, Panama City News Herald reports that:

There were bruises and cuts, permanent lacerations and bloody underwear. The signs of abuse were clear, Bay County Sheriff Frank McKeithen said Friday, and that's why investigators removed 17 kids from Heritage Boys Academy, a military school that also taught Christian doctrine, and shut the facility down.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Panama City News Herald.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ken

United States

#1 Jun 7, 2010
We need McKeithen up there in Marianna maybe he would have put some of the people involved in the boys school beaters in jail onley took 17 boys to come forward here they were 300+guys called the white house boys there and no one put in jail like that Tidwell guy a sham in Marianna Fl.
joe

United States

#2 Jun 8, 2010
Tidwell should have been put away up in Marianna coverup thats what they do in Marianna.
Mister

Mobile, AL

#3 Jun 8, 2010
Ole joe sounds like she was one of the white house boys that used to go to the shed. Heard they got their brown eye packed down there. Blood on your shorts there joe? hahahahahahha
Arman

Plant City, FL

#4 Jun 8, 2010
This place was way worse than being in jail. They would whip us when ever they felt like it and make a false accusation why. Most importantly force you to read the bible everyday and teach any other religion is ungodly and is going to burn in hell. I am so glad this place shut down and no one else have to suffer what we suffered
lookalive

Panama City, FL

#5 Jun 16, 2010
About 6 years or so ago I met someone that went to Bible Believers church. I asked if Buddy Maynard still went there (I didn't know him, just had attended church where his family visited and sang and played instruments). I was told that he and his family were asked to leave the church because his wife had an affair with one or two of the teenage boys that lived at the home and she was not repentent. They left and started attending Lighthouse Baptist (formerly Parkway Baptist) then went on to establish a church. Should the possibility of sexual abuse also be investigated?
OKO

Panama City, FL

#6 Jun 18, 2010
Arman wrote:
This place was way worse than being in jail. They would whip us when ever they felt like it and make a false accusation why. Most importantly force you to read the bible everyday and teach any other religion is ungodly and is going to burn in hell. I am so glad this place shut down and no one else have to suffer what we suffered
Well it must not have worked since you know it was way worse that jail. Maybe if you had paid attention you wouldn't have been in jail to compare. Keep up the good work next time you can tell us how those compare to prison.
Kyle Banks

Montgomery, AL

#7 Jun 28, 2010
lookalive wrote:
About 6 years or so ago I met someone that went to Bible Believers church. I asked if Buddy Maynard still went there (I didn't know him, just had attended church where his family visited and sang and played instruments). I was told that he and his family were asked to leave the church because his wife had an affair with one or two of the teenage boys that lived at the home and she was not repentent. They left and started attending Lighthouse Baptist (formerly Parkway Baptist) then went on to establish a church. Should the possibility of sexual abuse also be investigated?
I happen to know for a fact that this is true. i attended this place for a year and a half back when it was known as heritage home for boys. Chris Maynard had an affair with one Theodore Gearheart and another boy found out and she allowed him to have an early release so he wouldnt tell her husband. that place was horrid. i still have nightmares to this day of that place. its been almost ten years since ive been released. im sure there are others that suffer from PTSD from the terrifying experience we had at this place.
familyforGod

Fort Smith, AR

#8 Jul 24, 2010
Arman wrote:
what a rebellious comment... and you wonder why you went there! If you had any idea how much love went into them trying to teach you to do right... If the love and call of God wasn't there in the workers trying to change you for the better, do you really think they would have spent all their time trying to help boys? Do you know how many jobs that God could have given them that would have been much more enjoyable than what they sometimes had to put up with? Quit sucking your thumb about what you didn't like and realize that you had a chance and blew it. One day you will answer to a real God and all you will have left of your life on Earth will be the memory of people who loved you enough to invest their time in you and you wasted it.
familyforGod

Fort Smith, AR

#9 Jul 24, 2010
lookalive wrote:
You mean you heard something as insane as this, and believed it??? Why don't you take ten minutes, find the number, call and ask if you really want the truth. I promise you, if you want real answers and are sincere, you will get them. The bible says, "Answer a fool according to his folly" - so if you want to believe the garbage and second hand gossip, don't waste the money you would spend on a long distance phone call because you don't deserve an honest answer. Believe 10 percent of what you hear, and ninety percent of what you see. From what it sounds like, you haven't seen anything!
familyforGod

Fort Smith, AR

#10 Jul 24, 2010
Kyle Banks wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to know for a fact that this is true. i attended this place for a year and a half back when it was known as heritage home for boys. Chris Maynard had an affair with one Theodore Gearheart and another boy found out and she allowed him to have an early release so he wouldnt tell her husband. that place was horrid. i still have nightmares to this day of that place. its been almost ten years since ive been released. im sure there are others that suffer from PTSD from the terrifying experience we had at this place.
It has been THAT LONG since you have been out? So that means you are a grown man that hasn't got enough maturity to see that kids are rebels, as you know since you probly were one, and that anyone will lie just to try to make themselves feel better about being a rebel. You are a grown man! There is no place for a childish game of gossip and accusations. The supposed nightmares you have about being there are nothing compared to the nightmare you could very well be living when your life is a mess and you can't figure out how it got that way. You may never be honest with anyone else, but when you are truly honest with yourself, you will realize that you were not ABUSED there - you were LOVED enough to be taught to do right. End the pity party for yourself and get over it - but don't run your mouth and let the lies continue. Everything you brought up was strictly heresay - none of it happened to you - you have no idea what the truth was.
KIMMMMMMMMM

AOL

#11 Jul 25, 2010
Anyone who does not know the Lord will Perish. This Academy SAVED OUR LIVES! My son tried repeatedly to KILL ME! Now he is a CHRISTIAN. Mouth off all you want to. Who really wants to be saved? Probably you. Get down on your knees and ask God's forgiven. The END TIMES are here!
Evil in the name of god

Vernon Hills, IL

#12 Jul 25, 2010
I work with boys like the boys sent here, and never have i had to lay a hand on them. These "holy men" enjoyed beating these boys...and they did beat them!! If this is your god at work, then you must be afraid as hell...all the time!!! And if boys are leaving this horrible place and going to jail, apparently there approach doesn't work.
KIMMMMMMMMM

AOL

#13 Jul 26, 2010
Let us all pray that you do not run into any of these recently released boys. Now just think about it. As of now, they are CONFIDENT teenagers who now think that lying to adults is acceptable. They just got away with the very thing that got them there to begin with. Now, THOSE will be the boys that go to jail. MY SON, however, IS GOING ON TO COLLEGE after being there his full time. The Maynard family is the BEST family and those who know NOTHING will open their mouths to condemn. When GOD comes, HE WILL sort us. At that time, we should keep our mouths shut.
KIMMMMMMMMM

AOL

#14 Jul 26, 2010
oh yes, WHERE DO YOU WORK? Can I talk to the boys at your boys home?? What would they tell me?

You're great, they love it there, no punishment, free to do whatever you want just like a summer vacation. hahaha

Yes, PLEASE they me where you work!!!!
KIMMMMMMMMM

AOL

#15 Aug 10, 2010
Evil in the name of god wrote:
I work with boys like the boys sent here, and never have i had to lay a hand on them. These "holy men" enjoyed beating these boys...and they did beat them!! If this is your god at work, then you must be afraid as hell...all the time!!! And if boys are leaving this horrible place and going to jail, apparently there approach doesn't work.
Well, I am still waiting. Just WHERE DO YOU WORK?

Since: Jul 10

AOL

#16 Aug 10, 2010
don't look like the devil is gonna answer you....but that exactly how those people operate....
Sonny

Philippines

#17 Aug 26, 2010
lookalive wrote:
I was a staff member at the Academy.. There were so many good things about the maynards but there was so many things they tried to sweep under the rug. Yes chris did play with teddy. They also broke up a few fams because the husbands did'nt conform to there ways. The boys home is very hard for the boys but also keep in mind its a punishment not a park. If i agree or not to there ways. Well I disagreed thats why I have nothing to do with them. They have cultish and old fashioned ways. They got kicked out of light house for trying to take it over the church from pastor Glass and split that church. Pastor Glass is to good of a man for them to try to do that to. This place should be lookd into. And also they gave a boy 30 licks for a week for being gay..hmmmm....They mean well with bad direction. ITS A CULT!!!!!!!
Staff

Chipley, FL

#18 Aug 29, 2010
No one in the Phillipines ever worked for HBA, and I KNOW this, because I live close to the academy and have visited the academy and the Maynards over the course of their entire ministry, including having been a staff. You are a liar! You never worked there. I also happen to know that NO ONE was playing with anyone from staff to child. The boys were known to play with one another, but that was about it. You are full of gossip and lies, and you seem to have nothing better to do than spread lies about people you don't even know. If you want to know the truth about that good man, Pastor Glass, you'll know that after Bro. Maynard LEFT ON HIS OWN ACCORD from Lighthouse, that Pastor Glass was ousted from his own church while undergoing heart surgery by the same people that lied to him about Bro. Maynard. When Bro. Glass took his flight out of Panama City to move to Orlando, Bro. Maynard was there with his church and a $1500 check for Bro. Glass. Not one member of that wicked congregation that he pastored for 18 years was there to see him off. See, you don't know the facts and run your mouth spreading lies and rumors. Get a life!
Local

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#19 Sep 1, 2010
Is this about the black boy who was killed? The racism and ignorance in the Florida panhandle makes me hurl.
random

United States

#20 Oct 13, 2010
To all the people who are so sad that they have to make themselves feel good by making lies to hurt others you are worthless pieces of crap!You people need to get your head out of the sand and relize just because you dont have a sense of morals or integrity doesnt mean others do not.God will sort all of this out in due time and when he does you worthless individuals who made these lies will have to answer to him an trust me there wont be any excuses for you then,so until then,enjoy life because thats all

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Panama City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shelly the scammer (Aug '14) 21 hr Uhh uhh 718
Searching for a makeup artist 22 hr Samantha 2
Overpaid Teachers (Oct '14) Fri Grammar Mom 161
News Fight over gumbo spices leads to fatal stabbing... Fri SouthernBelle 49
News Jehovah's Witnesses baptize 36 at first Spanish... Fri Loves Wisconsin 22
Jamie Emery Thu Lou 1
trying to locate Roy Mullis Jun 29 shalee 1
More from around the web

Panama City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE