Three candidates running for Hopewell council seat in Ward 1

Apr 8, 2010 Full story: Progress-Index 348

With Hopewell city council elections less than four weeks away, a total of eleven candidates are gearing up to win the four seats open this year.

Full Story
Yolanda Wyche-Stokes

Hopewell, VA

#329 Apr 25, 2010
True Colors wrote:
<quoted text>
I am glad to see that you can admit that you were wrong. You and your sister Teresa showed your "True Colors" for all to see. You allowed someone that only used your own words against you and
proved the inaccuracy of your statements.
When you and your sister Teresa could not discuss the topic or I disagreed with you, you two threw the race card, and called me a racist. If you read my posts I never brought race into it, yet your sister called me a racist A** Hole.
If you allowed me to Take you There what are you going to do when someone on council, or one of your constituents, disagrees with you.
I guess you were "Saved" this morning, because you and your sister sure was not saved last night.
If I were running for office and my sister talked to someone they yours talked to me, I would distance myself from those comments.
By not distancing yourself from her comments you are condoning (agree with) them.
If a white person said those things about a black person, you would be trying to run them out of town.
Like I said before Racism is a two way street. Black to White, White to Black there is no difference.
Remember one thing Yolanda, GOD doesn't like ugly.
A family that prays together, stays together; we are sticking together through thick and thin; I would never turn on my family, or distance myself from them. When all else fails, I still have my family.- being a foster child taught me that, after six different foster homes, and the sixth being a family, I learned the true meaning of family.

Blood is thicker than water..

As for God doesn't like ugly, if you know the bible, he isn't too keen on beauty either, especially if its is used to mask ugliness.
Yolanda Wyche-Stokes

Hopewell, VA

#330 Apr 25, 2010
True Colors wrote:
<quoted text>
I am glad to see that you can admit that you were wrong. You and your sister Teresa showed your "True Colors" for all to see. You allowed someone that only used your own words against you and
proved the inaccuracy of your statements.
When you and your sister Teresa could not discuss the topic or I disagreed with you, you two threw the race card, and called me a racist. If you read my posts I never brought race into it, yet your sister called me a racist A** Hole.
If you allowed me to Take you There what are you going to do when someone on council, or one of your constituents, disagrees with you.
I guess you were "Saved" this morning, because you and your sister sure was not saved last night.
If I were running for office and my sister talked to someone they yours talked to me, I would distance myself from those comments.
By not distancing yourself from her comments you are condoning (agree with) them.
If a white person said those things about a black person, you would be trying to run them out of town.
Like I said before Racism is a two way street. Black to White, White to Black there is no difference.
Remember one thing Yolanda, GOD doesn't like ugly.
Posters, black or white - because one thing I learned as a Equal Employment Opportunity - Mediator/Negotiator. Racism comes in all colors.. blacks can be racist against blacks; whites can be racist against whites; and on and on .

Sometimes when you are downing folk, particularly when the majority is the minority, that is indirectly racism.

You may make a neutral comment, or action, and when applied it has a discriminatory effect.. that discriminatory conduct that is colored with "racism."

As I have said: The race card for Ward 2 was played when Rev Harris sued the City for the Ward system. I didn't play it, but I am reaping the benefits of it.. I am grateful to Rev Harris for that, it created equality on the selection for Council, he did this by any means necessary.
Yolanda Wyche-Stokes

Hopewell, VA

#331 Apr 25, 2010
Vote for Edwards wrote:
<quoted text>
Stokes is Pathetic!
She uses profanity in one post then mentions God and Church in another.
You are a sick person.
Continue reading.

I will support the agenda already put in place for Ward 2 by its former representatives, both Campbell Ray Edmonds and Rev Harris. They both were major contributors to this City. I was fortunate to witness first hand their quality of leadership and their visions for our City and this Ward. They both went on to become Mayors and Vice Mayors. I continue to enjoy a working relationship with both of them and former Mayor Patterson.

I am a product of that generation, I will consult with them for guidance.. as I am sure they are praying for me and asking the Lord to protect and guide me.

I come with a strong consultation team. Believe me. Some are in the Mansion Hills area.

So you see, because of my Hopewellian birthright, I come equipped with tools. It is not about me.

I don't pretend to be perfect, just perfect for Ward 2, which eventually will benefit the City as a whole. We have to crawl before we walk; and walk before we run.

It is not about me; it is about us. I am just an instrument or a vehicle to represent the Ward, their wants, their desires and most importantly their NEEDS.

I know by being on Topix, it is not going to be easy, but it would be easier if you would let the process work without "SMEAR" campaigns, etc. I went online and researched smear campaigns and learned that it is a tactic used in all elections. Not a well respected tactic, but nevertheless a tactic.

Your heart has to be in it, as mines is, to go through this. I am anxiously awaiting the outcome.

In the meantime we will continue to "Rock-The-Vote." for Yolanda Wyche-Stokes on May 4 at the Carter G. Woodson school.

Rides will be provided .. as discussed during the campaigns. Call or meet at the designated neighborhoods.
Yolanda Wyche-Stokes

Hopewell, VA

#332 Apr 25, 2010
radiohead65 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Honestly", this is a great post! well said! i would like to refer all readers to post #303 where True Colors asks 2 questions of Ms Stokes directly. although it wasnt necessary because she has been questioned about her plans throughout this topic.***she has yet to answer specifically and question regarding her intent to run and any plans she might have if she is elected to city council.***
there is an old saying about "beating around the bush"....that is all Ms. Stokes has done. that or tell lies. i dont know, maybe she IS qualified to be a politician. she has the lying and dodging the questions down pat.
I am inviting you to keep reading.
Yolanda Wyche-Stokes

Hopewell, VA

#333 Apr 25, 2010
Relatives of mines, have led the Hopewell Public Schools to All - District Titles:

Remember them:

"BIG" Willie McCray - Hopewell High School Football, play scholarship style and went on to play with the San Francisco 49ers. His mother is my aunt, my natural (late) father's sister;

Greg McCray - All Star Basketball Star at Hopewell High School, went overseas to play semi-pro basket ball, and is the brother of BIG Willie and Melvin McCray an All Star Basketball Star at Hopewell High School.

Don Stokes - All Star Football and Basketball Star and Yolanda Wyche-Stokes brother-in-law.

EDDY Brothers and other close relatives of Yolanda Wyche-Stokes still play and star in Hopewell High School Athletics.
Wondering

Hopewell, VA

#334 Apr 25, 2010
Voter wrote:
<quoted text> As long as she doesn't make more than $940.00 dollars a month she can keep her check,thats if she gets Social Security, but if she gets SSI check {form of welfare from SSA} she will lose her check.. What does City Council pay?
It's not how much she will be making, it is that she has said that she is healed. If she proves that she can do the work that she could not do when she applied for SSD, then they will reopen her case and she will have to prove that she is still disabled.
Yolanda Wyche-Stokes

Hopewell, VA

#335 Apr 26, 2010
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not how much she will be making, it is that she has said that she is healed. If she proves that she can do the work that she could not do when she applied for SSD, then they will reopen her case and she will have to prove that she is still disabled.
Healed and disability doesn't mean the same. Healed, and permanently disabled are separate in meaning. People have healed from their injuries, i.e., leg amputee, but they are still unable to walk without assistance because the leg will never grow back, but they heal from the injury.

Read the pamphlet from Social Security on its website, working while disabled. It will answer all of your questions.
honestly

Richmond, VA

#336 Apr 26, 2010
Yolanda Wyche-Stokes wrote:
<quoted text>
A family that prays together, stays together; we are sticking together through thick and thin; I would never turn on my family, or distance myself from them. When all else fails, I still have my family.- being a foster child taught me that, after six different foster homes, and the sixth being a family, I learned the true meaning of family.
Blood is thicker than water..
As for God doesn't like ugly, if you know the bible, he isn't too keen on beauty either, especially if its is used to mask ugliness.
You must be joking, after everything you have posted here under your name and alias names, you want to talk about someone acting ugly?
you posted about smear campaigns Ms Stokes, all i have seen on here are facts, you say you have overcome all this past, what have you overcome? you say you are fully healed yet you continue to collect a disability check, what disability is that check for? whether it is physical or mental I can't help but think it may hinder your ability to fully participate on City Council. You live in public housing by choice, how is that overcoming anything? I think there must be people living in public housing that are trying to get out, where do they stand with you? How could you possibly help them? You have stated you are a product of public housing and proud of it, that is really what you want to teach the young people in your ward Ms. Stokes, how to live off the system. Why would having someone in law enforcement be bad for your ward? Seems to me that someone with that background could assist those who find themselves in trouble better than you. You stated that those in your ward who had been to jail found those in law enforcement to be mean? Did they expect they were checking into the Holiday Inn? Really Ms. Stokes you have no valid points and all your rants on this post will not go away, it is clear you have real problems, maybe you should address your own issues before trying to address the issues of others. This is not meant to demean you. The city needs council members dedicated to the city, not those who have personal agendas. After reading everything you have posted, it is clear you would not represent the city or even your ward very well. Please don't give some defensive reply about race or religion, you have played those cards enough.
Enuff Is Enuff

Hopewell, VA

#337 Apr 26, 2010
Why is Ms. stokes the only thats running for office posting one right after another?!??! OH THAT SRIGHT she DOES NOT have a job like the rest of them so she has all day to sit on her ass post comments on he internet and get PAID FREE $$ from us taxpayers!!
Billy Bob

Hopewell, VA

#338 Apr 26, 2010
I must agree with Honestly. Every word in that post was the truth and it was not hateful. Ms. Stokes just doesn't get it, though, and I am afraid that the people of her ward will just blindly vote her into office. They do not care that their voting her in will affect everyone in this city regardless of their address. And actually, Ms. Stokes, if you are so well-versed on Disability, surely you must know that you are allowed to work a certain number of hours per month and are allowed to earn up to a certain amount of money each year before losing your disability payments. But then that would involve having you actually go out and get a real job, wouldn't it? It is easier to milk the system and let our hard work pay for you to sit at home.
True Colors

Powhatan, VA

#339 Apr 26, 2010
Yolanda Wyche-Stokes wrote:
Relatives of mines, have led the Hopewell Public Schools to All - District Titles:
Remember them:
"BIG" Willie McCray - Hopewell High School Football, play scholarship style and went on to play with the San Francisco 49ers. His mother is my aunt, my natural (late) father's sister;
Greg McCray - All Star Basketball Star at Hopewell High School, went overseas to play semi-pro basket ball, and is the brother of BIG Willie and Melvin McCray an All Star Basketball Star at Hopewell High School.
Don Stokes - All Star Football and Basketball Star and Yolanda Wyche-Stokes brother-in-law.
EDDY Brothers and other close relatives of Yolanda Wyche-Stokes still play and star in Hopewell High School Athletics.
At least 2 if not 3 of those you just listed cannot even vote, they are convicted felons. The two McCray boys for sure.

I already know that you are going to say that they may not be able to vote but their parents and some friends can.
Voter

Hopewell, VA

#340 Apr 26, 2010
True Colors wrote:
<quoted text>
At least 2 if not 3 of those you just listed cannot even vote, they are convicted felons. The two McCray boys for sure.
I already know that you are going to say that they may not be able to vote but their parents and some friends can.
A convicted Felon can Vote again after 3 years...
Joe

United States

#341 Apr 26, 2010
Voter wrote:
<quoted text> A convicted Felon can Vote again after 3 years...
Damn, I didn't know that!

It's true, you all really do have secret meetings teaching each other the system.
honestly

Richmond, VA

#343 Apr 27, 2010
Virginia has one of the nation’s harshest policies for felons who wish to regain the rights to vote, serve on a jury and hold public office.
Virginia and Kentucky are the only two states that do not automatically restore convicted felons’ civil rights. Most states restore these rights upon the completion of a prison sentence, probation or parole. In Virginia, felons convicted of a nonviolent offense must wait three years after completing all court obligations—sentencing, fines and probation—then file an application for the restoration of rights to the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
After waiting five years after all court obligations, a person convicted of a violent felony must obtain a burdensome collection of paperwork: a letter from your most recent probation or parole officer, copies of your pre- or post-sentence report, certified copies of every order of conviction and sentencing orders, three letters of reference and, to top it off, a personal letter to the Governor explaining your convictions and how your life has changed.
MOTHER of MURDER SON

Hopewell, VA

#345 Apr 27, 2010
We hope too see you Saturday @ Carter G woodson @ 9;30 am
Enuff Is Enuff

Hopewell, VA

#346 Apr 28, 2010
Yolanda Stokes,
Why don’t you pay your bills? Hopewell General District Court
Case # GV06000371-00 Chase Home Finance
GV09001870-00 Hopewell Medical Center $322.97 plus 6% interest and court cost
Awarded: 09/16/09
Hopewell Med. Center case # GV05000731-00 $108.95 awarded 08/24/2005
Synthetic Fibers Credit Union case# GV01004029-00 $1,039.03 plus 13 ½% interest and court cost
Awarded 12/19/2001
Arrest Date 06/18/2000 case# GC00000384-00 Charge: Trespassing

Yeah Buddy, we need this person in office!!!!!
well well well

Hopewell, VA

#347 Apr 28, 2010
Everyone that doesn't like Hopewell is free to leave . There isn't a jail , prison nor detention center in the city limits . Now, if you can read and uderntsnad what is being said , what difference does the spelling and grammar make ? I've never encountered too many proper speaking individuals in Hopewell. Whether ethics has anything to do with intelligence ; the jury is out . I know that G Wayne is capable of managing this small city of 28,000 , it is a very minute jump from the 4500-5500 of them that he already provided for . If the people need an excellent financial advisor as well as a no nonsense type of environment then he is the guy to deliver . It'll never be about anything other than the facts . Andif you can't live with that then you probably need Jesus and you will have to die to find him .
Hopewell

Hopewell, VA

#348 Apr 28, 2010
well well well wrote:
Everyone that doesn't like Hopewell is free to leave . There isn't a jail , prison nor detention center in the city limits . Now, if you can read and uderntsnad what is being said , what difference does the spelling and grammar make ? I've never encountered too many proper speaking individuals in Hopewell. Whether ethics has anything to do with intelligence ; the jury is out . I know that G Wayne is capable of managing this small city of 28,000 , it is a very minute jump from the 4500-5500 of them that he already provided for . If the people need an excellent financial advisor as well as a no nonsense type of environment then he is the guy to deliver . It'll never be about anything other than the facts . Andif you can't live with that then you probably need Jesus and you will have to die to find him .
I AGREE with you well,well "thats what we "NEED" on "COUNCIL" are the "FACTS" and who better than "WAYNE TAYLOR"
Honestly

Richmond, VA

#349 Apr 29, 2010
I think Wayne is trying to pull a Yolanda, the above 2 posts are from the same person, it may even be Yolanda because the post makes absolutely no sense.
Hopewell

Hopewell, VA

#350 Apr 29, 2010
Honestly wrote:
I think Wayne is trying to pull a Yolanda, the above 2 posts are from the same person, it may even be Yolanda because the post makes absolutely no sense.
Honestly! You have Jokes, Ha Ha! When have you ever known Wayne Taylor to Bite his Tounge?(aka. NOT SAY WHAT IS ON HIS MIND )

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pamplin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
local police corruption? Nov 20 harley donaldson 1
football playoffs Nov '14 football fan 2
jeremy haskins (Apr '13) Oct '14 knows him very well 4
Small animal swap!! (Sep '13) Sep '13 one 1
Memorial debate (Apr '13) Apr '13 Masego 1
Pamplin Teen Dies in Nelson Motorcycle Accident... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Wow 6
Who do you support for U.S. House in Virginia (... (Oct '10) May '12 blah 136
Pamplin Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web