'Hypoallergenic' pet breeds can still...

'Hypoallergenic' pet breeds can still trigger symptoms

There are 31 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 14, 2009, titled 'Hypoallergenic' pet breeds can still trigger symptoms. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Those hypoallergenic dogs? Like the one the First Family will be adopting? They may not be exactly what people think.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sowhat

Northbrook, IL

#1 Mar 15, 2009
Yorkies always cause problems. Just ask Fred Basset.
Foxylady

Redmond, WA

#2 Mar 15, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Water...

This dogs temperament doesn't lend itself to an on-the-go type family. They usually bond with one family member. Want to be at their masters side, inside and outside. They don't like being left alone for long periods of time and become destructive when bored. They also need constant vigorous exercise and mental challenges. They are not a "couch potato" type dog. They can be destructive if bored. Very vocal with a loud bark and sometimes whine. This breed somehow doesn't sound like the best choice for two little girls, IMO.

Obama travels alot. Michelle will have projects that take her away from the home and the girls are in school all day. I wonder if Michell's mother will be the main caregiver of their dog?

Since this breed of dog can sell for as much as $2,000. I doubt they will find one they can rescue from a shelter or pound.
Astounded

United States

#3 Mar 15, 2009
Foxylady wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P ortuguese_Water_Dog
This dogs temperament doesn't lend itself to an on-the-go type family. They usually bond with one family member. Want to be at their masters side, inside and outside. They don't like being left alone for long periods of time and become destructive when bored. They also need constant vigorous exercise and mental challenges. They are not a "couch potato" type dog. They can be destructive if bored. Very vocal with a loud bark and sometimes whine. This breed somehow doesn't sound like the best choice for two little girls, IMO.

Obama travels alot. Michelle will have projects that take her away from the home and the girls are in school all day. I wonder if Michell's mother will be the main caregiver of their dog?
Since this breed of dog can sell for as much as $2,000. I doubt they will find one they can rescue from a shelter or pound.
You don't know very much about anything do you? Pathetic.....They are the First Family and they live in the white house. It sounds like you were the one that could not care properly for your pets.
Duh

Plainfield, IL

#4 Mar 15, 2009
Foxylady wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P ortuguese_Water_Dog
You are such a judgmental B!+CH

Let the kids have the dog they want for cripe's sake.
cootie guy

United States

#5 Mar 15, 2009
So I have to call, The pound" I have a cat that was left behind.......Animal control? Will you come get this kitty?
BestAllergySites

Southbridge, MA

#6 Mar 16, 2009
Interesting about the saliva.

My son shows no symptoms when in the room with a dog. But when licked (even by a hypoallergenic) he gets hives on face, sneezing, etc.

All pets take work. PWD's are pretty high energy and need a lot of extra care. I'm sure the first family has plenty of help with that.
Foxylady

Redmond, WA

#7 Mar 16, 2009
Astounded wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know very much about anything do you? Pathetic.....They are the First Family and they live in the white house. It sounds like you were the one that could not care properly for your pets.
So what if they're the first family and they live in the white house! What's your point? Are you saying any breed will do? If a Portugese water dog needs vigorous exercise and mental challenges who's going to do it if Obama is travelling, Michelle is occupied elsewhere and the girls are in school? If that breed of dog gets bored they become destructive. The breed bonds with usually one family member and wants to be by that persons side 24/7. How is that going to happen if that family member is seldom around?

Also, Michelle said HER choice would be the Portugese water dog. I thought the dog was supposed to be for the girls. I haven't heard anything about the kind of dog THEY want. There are more than one breed of dog that doesn't shed hair so shouldn't THEY be the one to choose which dog they want?

Whatever gave you the idea that I didn't give proper care to the animals, fowl and fish I've had? Just because I don't care to go thru all that now doesn't mean I didn't do it when I had my pets. Is there ever a time when you can just keep your comments on topic? We already know you're a very nasty person so you don't have to keep driving that fact home every time you open your mouth here.

Foxylady

Redmond, WA

#8 Mar 16, 2009
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
You are such a judgmental B!+CH
Let the kids have the dog they want for cripe's sake.
"Judgmental"? You don't think it's important that family and dog are compatable? Are you kidding me?

From the sound's of it it's the dog MICHELLE wants NOT the dog the girls want! I haven't seen anything reported about the kind of dog the girls want! We know one of the girls has allergies, but the water dog is NOT the only breed that doesn't shed. How about the dog? What about what the dog wants? If the dogs temperament DOESN'T conincide with the availability of the family members do you think that's going to result in a peaceful relationship between the family and the dog? Did you read ANYTHING about the Portugese water dog BEFORE you made your comments? I would say the answer to that question is a resounding "NO"!
Foxylady

Redmond, WA

#9 Mar 16, 2009
BestAllergySites wrote:
Interesting about the saliva.
My son shows no symptoms when in the room with a dog. But when licked (even by a hypoallergenic) he gets hives on face, sneezing, etc.
All pets take work. PWD's are pretty high energy and need a lot of extra care. I'm sure the first family has plenty of help with that.
I'm sure they will have help, but is this a dog for the girls or is it a dog for somebody else? It's said the dog usually bonds with one person and wants to be by that persons side inside or outside. If it bonds with the person(s) that cares for it most of the time what about the girls? It's really not THEIR dog then, IMO.
Astounded

Bridgeview, IL

#10 Mar 16, 2009
Foxylady wrote:
<quoted text>
So what if they're the first family and they live in the white house! What's your point? Are you saying any breed will do? If a Portugese water dog needs vigorous exercise and mental challenges who's going to do it if Obama is travelling, Michelle is occupied elsewhere and the girls are in school? If that breed of dog gets bored they become destructive. The breed bonds with usually one family member and wants to be by that persons side 24/7. How is that going to happen if that family member is seldom around?
Also, Michelle said HER choice would be the Portugese water dog. I thought the dog was supposed to be for the girls. I haven't heard anything about the kind of dog THEY want. There are more than one breed of dog that doesn't shed hair so shouldn't THEY be the one to choose which dog they want?
Whatever gave you the idea that I didn't give proper care to the animals, fowl and fish I've had? Just because I don't care to go thru all that now doesn't mean I didn't do it when I had my pets. Is there ever a time when you can just keep your comments on topic? We already know you're a very nasty person so you don't have to keep driving that fact home every time you open your mouth here.
I'm a nasty person? You don't see every single poster in a flinging contest with me....now why don't you go take your pills and talk to your therapist and post again in the morning.
Foxylady

Redmond, WA

#11 Mar 16, 2009
Astounded wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a nasty person? You don't see every single poster in a flinging contest with me....now why don't you go take your pills and talk to your therapist and post again in the morning.
Yep, that's my opinion. You ARE one nasty person. Take a look at just who the posters are that are doing the "flinging". Several are TROLLS that change their screen names at the drop of the hat. Others "fling" at anybody who won't bow to their bullying. They can't discuss a topic without insulting, belittling, disrespecting or name calling. You fit very nicely into that group. As a matter of fact, I think you outshine them when it comes to "nasty". Do you even know how childish your "take your pills and talk to your therapist" comment sounds? Why don't you grow up?
Duh

Plainfield, IL

#12 Mar 16, 2009
Foxylady wrote:
<quoted text>
"Judgmental"? You don't think it's important that family and dog are compatable? Are you kidding me?
From the sound's of it it's the dog MICHELLE wants NOT the dog the girls want! I haven't seen anything reported about the kind of dog the girls want! We know one of the girls has allergies, but the water dog is NOT the only breed that doesn't shed. How about the dog? What about what the dog wants? If the dogs temperament DOESN'T conincide with the availability of the family members do you think that's going to result in a peaceful relationship between the family and the dog? Did you read ANYTHING about the Portugese water dog BEFORE you made your comments? I would say the answer to that question is a resounding "NO"!
Yes, I'm just SURE you know better than the GIRL'S MOTHER about what's best for them. You're just SO CLOSE to the first family and you are such an expert on dogs, that it's you and ONLY you that would know which breed is best.

And you conservatives wonder why the Dems won in a landslide with your pompous ignorance attitudes. Country had wised up to people like you. Enjoy.
Duh

Plainfield, IL

#13 Mar 16, 2009
Astounded wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone that disagrees with Foxylady is "nasty".

Quick, let's make some more typos so she has something to do.
Astounded

Bridgeview, IL

#14 Mar 17, 2009
Foxylady wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, that's my opinion. You ARE one nasty person. Take a look at just who the posters are that are doing the "flinging". Several are TROLLS that change their screen names at the drop of the hat. Others "fling" at anybody who won't bow to their bullying. They can't discuss a topic without insulting, belittling, disrespecting or name calling. You fit very nicely into that group. As a matter of fact, I think you outshine them when it comes to "nasty". Do you even know how childish your "take your pills and talk to your therapist" comment sounds? Why don't you grow up?
I will "grow up" when you deal with your serious mental and emotional issues and stop taking your pathetic life problems out on posters that are just trying to conversate about a subject. Why dont you go pound some sand in your kitty litter box?
Foxylady

Redmond, WA

#15 Mar 17, 2009
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I'm just SURE you know better than the GIRL'S MOTHER about what's best for them. You're just SO CLOSE to the first family and you are such an expert on dogs, that it's you and ONLY you that would know which breed is best.
And you conservatives wonder why the Dems won in a landslide with your pompous ignorance attitudes. Country had wised up to people like you. Enjoy.
I would think they could pick several breeds and let the girls choose which one they want. After all, Obama promised the GIRLS they could have a dog. Michelle didn't say they're choosing the water dog because it's what the girls want or even because it's a child friendly dog. All you have to do is read up on the water dog breed to know they are a dog that needs a lot of attention. Who do you think the dog is going to bond with if it isn't around any of the family members on a regular basis? Wouldn't it be a shame if they got a water dog and then found out it's temperament doesn't quite "fit" the family.

How foolish you sound. The choice of dog for the "first kids" has nothing to do with any political party.

I know you've already made an excuse for any of your spelling and grammar errors by saying they could possibly be done "on purpose", but I'm just wonder what an "ignorance attitude" is. LOL
Foxylady

Redmond, WA

#16 Mar 17, 2009
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone that disagrees with Foxylady is "nasty".
Quick, let's make some more typos so she has something to do.
"Disagreeing has nothing to do with it, it's HOW they disagree. BTW, let me say, you've picked a very appropriate screen name for yourself. LOL

Since: Oct 07

sugarcoated sunshine

#17 Mar 17, 2009
Foxylady wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure they will have help, but is this a dog for the girls or is it a dog for somebody else? It's said the dog usually bonds with one person and wants to be by that persons side inside or outside. If it bonds with the person(s) that cares for it most of the time what about the girls? It's really not THEIR dog then, IMO.
Since you've had lots of pets, and kids, I know you know, the parents are the ones who care for the pets. I would not let a child choose a pet on their own, and I'll bet the First Lady is making the best choice for all involved. President Obama is a bit preoccupied at the moment lol.
Foxylady

Redmond, WA

#18 Mar 17, 2009
Freespirit8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you've had lots of pets, and kids, I know you know, the parents are the ones who care for the pets. I would not let a child choose a pet on their own, and I'll bet the First Lady is making the best choice for all involved. President Obama is a bit preoccupied at the moment lol.
No, you're right, I wouldn't let a child pick a pet on their own either. What I'd do is pick several dogs that "fit" and let the kids choose which one of those several they wanted. They do need to pick a breed that's not going to give the daughter with allergies a problem. It's just my opinion that after reading the temperment of a Portugese water dog it's not a dog that would "fit" well in the "first family". Like you say Obama "is a bit preoccupied", Michelle seems to be developing projects that will take her out of the home and the kids are in school all day. The water dog usually bonds with one family member, needs to be at it's masters side inside and outside, needs vigorous exercise and mental challenges and becomes destructive if bored. I would guess they will either hire someone to care for the dog or Michelle's mother will be the main caregiver. I have to wonder if she is physically able to deal with an energetic dog. This breed isn't a "couch potato" type dog.
Foxylady

Redmond, WA

#19 Mar 17, 2009
Astounded wrote:
<quoted text>
I will "grow up" when you deal with your serious mental and emotional issues and stop taking your pathetic life problems out on posters that are just trying to conversate about a subject. Why dont you go pound some sand in your kitty litter box?
If I recall the SUBJECT of this thread is "hypoallergenic pet breeds..." so WHEN are you going to start conversing about the subject? So far, YOU and DUH are the only ones that are OFF-TOPIC here. You need to get your head out of the sand in YOUR kitty litter box and realize YOU are the one with the "mental/emotional issues" and YOU are the one that's "taking your pathetic lifes' problems" out on US! Now....back to hypoallergenic pet breeds...!

Since: Oct 07

sugarcoated sunshine

#20 Mar 17, 2009
Foxylady wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're right, I wouldn't let a child pick a pet on their own either. What I'd do is pick several dogs that "fit" and let the kids choose which one of those several they wanted. They do need to pick a breed that's not going to give the daughter with allergies a problem. It's just my opinion that after reading the temperment of a Portugese water dog it's not a dog that would "fit" well in the "first family". Like you say Obama "is a bit preoccupied", Michelle seems to be developing projects that will take her out of the home and the kids are in school all day. The water dog usually bonds with one family member, needs to be at it's masters side inside and outside, needs vigorous exercise and mental challenges and becomes destructive if bored. I would guess they will either hire someone to care for the dog or Michelle's mother will be the main caregiver. I have to wonder if she is physically able to deal with an energetic dog. This breed isn't a "couch potato" type dog.
I wonder if they have considered an Italian Greyhound? My friend has one, and he is the sweetest, most gentle dog. The coat is very short and no shedding or dander. The standard Greyhounds also make very nice pets.
The girls would probably vote for a fluffy lap dog like a Yorkie or a Maltese, lol. I think it's showing a lot of responsibility that they haven't caved to the girls' wishes and adopted until they were settled.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palos Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blue Island Park District Special Meeting 19 min Change is needed 13
train whistles 22 min Casey Jones 5
Mokena Garage Door Repair 1 hr helenjmetcalf 1
McJimpsey Sworn In 6 hr Fact Checker 2
Keep on trucking Ed 7 hr Just Saying 70
Hells Angels (Jun '10) 7 hr noyb 106
Berkots 9 hr Just another resi... 18
More from around the web

Palos Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE