Village Hall to get $229,000 makeover???

Village Hall to get $229,000 makeover???

Posted in the Palos Hills Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Medal Guy

Blue Island, IL

#1 Jul 1, 2012
I am appalled to know that only two of our village trustees stepped up and spoke out against this ridiculous idea of spending $229,000 that our town can not afford at this time or if ever. I have gone to village board meetings and several of our trustees just sit there and give lip service and sit on their thumbs. I would like to know just how many of our trustees have actually did the necessary leg work and gone out and secured a "grant" for our town. I would venture to guess not many. I know that we as a village could save a huge sum of cash by letting go the village attorney our illustrious mayor hired under suspicious circumstances. HMMMMM, wonder what that was all about. I know but does the average resident?
Blows my mind

United States

#2 Jul 1, 2012
The Medal Guy wrote:
I am appalled to know that only two of our village trustees stepped up and spoke out against this ridiculous idea of spending $229,000 that our town can not afford at this time or if ever. I have gone to village board meetings and several of our trustees just sit there and give lip service and sit on their thumbs. I would like to know just how many of our trustees have actually did the necessary leg work and gone out and secured a "grant" for our town. I would venture to guess not many. I know that we as a village could save a huge sum of cash by letting go the village attorney our illustrious mayor hired under suspicious circumstances. HMMMMM, wonder what that was all about. I know but does the average resident?
Speaking of the attorney the mayor said it was a cost saving move. Well here are some facts: on average the attorney made about $105,000 a year as a contractor. But according to the finance report on the village website he now costs us over $129,000 a year! And he has to only work 30 hours a week so he can still operate his private practice. Finally, he gets 5 weeks paid vacation a year plus sick days and holidays. In total he gets over 2 months paid time off every year. Also if we didn't have him working out of village hall then there would be less urgency to do a quarter million dollar renovation to make space for him.
fed up

United States

#3 Jul 1, 2012
They should worry about the blacks and Mexicans and the crime instead of fixing up the village hall
Really

Savannah, GA

#4 Jul 1, 2012
fed up wrote:
They should worry about the blacks and Mexicans and the crime instead of fixing up the village hall
Way to dilute the discussion with your racist rant. Midlothian may have problems with certain groups, but that has nothing to do with the village hall renovation.
old Midlothian resident

Thornton, IL

#5 Jul 1, 2012
Why should anybody be surprized that that the attorney is Murowski old attorney,s son in law? Terry just does what he learned from old mayor.
Midloguy30

Midlothian, IL

#6 Jul 1, 2012
Holy fk
an outside prospective

Chicago, IL

#7 Jul 2, 2012
And let's not forget he isn't a municipality lawyer so we still have to pay another lawyer that ACTUALLY knows what their doing about 40k a year to help this joker. Then again it is proven in this village if you don't know what your doing you don't get fired you take half your job away and get the same salary.
new Midlo Res

Midlothian, IL

#8 Jul 2, 2012
WTF is that what we ust paid HIGHER township taxes for the last 3 years??????
My freakin taxes DOUBLED IN LESS than a year of living here and for what to put make-up on the face of the Town hall. that is BULL!
trying to make sense

AOL

#9 Jul 6, 2012
what happened to that chicago detective that helped start the community policing she could have helped this town more than that lawyer at half the price lol
MidloKillingUs2

Thornton, IL

#10 Jul 8, 2012
I moved to Midlothian in 2004. Since then, the value of my small home has plummeted and my taxes have doubled. Then they add an infrastructure fee on my utility bill of around $37.00. Water rates from Chicago are rapidly increasing, houses are in foreclosure all over this town,people losing jobs, and in the middle of all this, they had the balls to give all non-union Village workers a 4.5% pay raise, while people are having a hard time paying their taxes here. I don't even know what kind of raise the unionized workers received. That's the arrogance of government for you. The village employees should be glad they aren't getting laid off in these horrible times for the rest of us. Terry Stephens is a great disappointment. They just piss on the people...
JimMOPotempa

Dolton, IL

#11 Jul 9, 2012
Will all you people quit your belly aching and whining? You see, believe it or not, I am the KING of this town. What I say goes! I don't need to ask you for a vote or say hello to you on the street. You are all beneath me and when I say I want a new village hall with a comfy chair to sit my fat a&& and bark orders and that subservant buffoon you call a mayor then I mean it. I am the Mike Madigan of Midlothian and none of you people a smart enough to get rid of me. So there, deal with it!
53 years

Midlothian, IL

#12 Jul 9, 2012
I'm not sure what's being done to the village hall , unless it's an emergency like something is about to collapse I think it's pretty arrogant.We all want to redo something in our homes but nows not the time.To do this on the tax payers dollar is ludicrous everyday most of us have to decide who to pay first where to shop that's most economical it's just not the right time for any indulgences .Terry what are you thinking come on now be the Mayor you said you would be , FOR THE PEOPLE!
eagleman

Blue Island, IL

#13 Jul 9, 2012
MidloKillingUs2 wrote:
I moved to Midlothian in 2004. Since then, the value of my small home has plummeted and my taxes have doubled. Then they add an infrastructure fee on my utility bill of around $37.00. Water rates from Chicago are rapidly increasing, houses are in foreclosure all over this town,people losing jobs, and in the middle of all this, they had the balls to give all non-union Village workers a 4.5% pay raise, while people are having a hard time paying their taxes here. I don't even know what kind of raise the unionized workers received. That's the arrogance of government for you. The village employees should be glad they aren't getting laid off in these horrible times for the rest of us. Terry Stephens is a great disappointment. They just piss on the people...
In case you haven't noticed, large and small homes EVERYWHERE have gone down in value. Chicago keeps raising the water rates so they can finiance their own infrastructure projects, that is why the board is looking into the JAWA project. Check any real estate office and they will show you that homes are in foreclosure accross the U.S. The union workers had a 4.5% pay raise, so to keep everyone on an equal footing the non union people recieved the same pay raise. Now you may not agree about the pay raise and that is fine, its your opinion. Terry and the board have no ( is in absolutly zero) control over the rest of your post.

“In my opinion..”

Since: Dec 09

Midlothian

#14 Jul 9, 2012
eagleman wrote:
<quoted text>In case you haven't noticed, large and small homes EVERYWHERE have gone down in value. Chicago keeps raising the water rates so they can finiance their own infrastructure projects, that is why the board is looking into the JAWA project. Check any real estate office and they will show you that homes are in foreclosure accross the U.S. The union workers had a 4.5% pay raise, so to keep everyone on an equal footing the non union people recieved the same pay raise. Now you may not agree about the pay raise and that is fine, its your opinion. Terry and the board have no ( is in absolutly zero) control over the rest of your post.
Opps, forgot to log in. The last was a genuine Eagleman post.

“In my opinion..”

Midlothian

#15 Jul 10, 2012
For example, if you go to forbes.com and read an articale by morgan brennan datedfriday july 6, 2012 titled americas new foreclosure capitals you would find that chicago is number 11 on that list. They combine chicago,naperville and joliet markets together and came up with 1 out of every 252 homes are in foreclosure with an increase rate in filings over a year to year comparision of 56.2%. So again, the Mayor and the board have nothing to do with the foreclosure rate, the water increases by Chicago or even UFO sightings.
MidloKillingUs2

Thornton, IL

#16 Jul 10, 2012
Yeah, Well the Mayor and Board had plenty to do with adding over $500.00 to my tax bill since Home Rule was enacted. People, look at your real estate tax bill..and the Line; Village of Midlothian. Other towns may have plenty of homes in foreclosure, but I doubt their taxes were doubled in 7 years. You must be related to one of these bureaucrats to insist on defending them. Like another commenter stated: We all have to cut back on our own home improvements at this time, and just take care of the very critical things, in such hard times. It's easy to give out raises when you just take the money out of the pockets of the tax payers. There needs to be an investigation as to the personal relationships with the attorneys and other contractors,too. And don't go talking down to people on here who are busting their asses to pay these taxes,and salaries of everyone on the village payroll.

“In my opinion..”

Midlothian

#17 Jul 10, 2012
MidloKillingUs2 wrote:
Yeah, Well the Mayor and Board had plenty to do with adding over $500.00 to my tax bill since Home Rule was enacted. People, look at your real estate tax bill..and the Line; Village of Midlothian. Other towns may have plenty of homes in foreclosure, but I doubt their taxes were doubled in 7 years. You must be related to one of these bureaucrats to insist on defending them. Like another commenter stated: We all have to cut back on our own home improvements at this time, and just take care of the very critical things, in such hard times. It's easy to give out raises when you just take the money out of the pockets of the tax payers. There needs to be an investigation as to the personal relationships with the attorneys and other contractors,too. And don't go talking down to people on here who are busting their asses to pay these taxes,and salaries of everyone on the village payroll.
I haven't talked down anyone, I was pointing out that most of your complaints had nothing to do with the Mayor or the village board. As for other towns taxes, you can go to several sites that compare taxes from town to town. And yes you got me, I'll admit it, I am related to all the board members.

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian,Il

#18 Jul 10, 2012
eagleman wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't talked down anyone, I was pointing out that most of your complaints had nothing to do with the Mayor or the village board. As for other towns taxes, you can go to several sites that compare taxes from town to town. And yes you got me, I'll admit it, I am related to all the board members.
Really??!! Related as in Aunt, Uncle Cousin? Or closer??:):):)(Pssst, get me a discount on my vehicle tag)?:):):)

“In my opinion..”

Midlothian

#19 Jul 10, 2012
Wondering Why1 wrote:
<quoted text> Really??!! Related as in Aunt, Uncle Cousin? Or closer??:):):)(Pssst, get me a discount on my vehicle tag)?:):):)
Iam their first cousins uncles brother nephew onced removed. I am able to get discounts on the second tuesday of each week, so plan ahead.:):):):)

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian,Il

#20 Jul 11, 2012
eagleman wrote:
<quoted text>Iam their first cousins uncles brother nephew onced removed. I am able to get discounts on the second tuesday of each week, so plan ahead.:):):):)
That is just so cool:):):):)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palos Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carol Di Pace-Green is full of hot air. (Jun '15) 1 hr We Recommend You 152
Alderman Absent From Council Meetings 1 hr Don Peloquin 23
Moving to Justice IL? 3 hr Harmon Killebrew 2
Dayton Lawrence 'massage' parlor..SUSPICIOUS (Apr '12) 4 hr Rocky Colovito 11
Did McAuliffe get his teeth fixed on village time? 4 hr 13400 Cicero 29
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 16 hr Our Next President 9,098
garage sale Tue Changa 1

Palos Hills Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance