Girl who said she was raped changes s...

Girl who said she was raped changes story

There are 92 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 10, 2008, titled Girl who said she was raped changes story. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Palos Heights police closed a sexual assault investigation Friday after the accuser changed her story.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Slippery Slope

Evanston, IL

#1 Oct 11, 2008
I am extremely compassionate towards people who have psychological problems. On the other hand I am tired of this card being played to avoid justice. There are plenty of people with problems who do abide by the law. Kudos for coming forward before someone was falsely accused but this kid needs to spend her weekends for the next year doing community service work.
Martha

Chicago, IL

#2 Oct 11, 2008
The community should avoid "criticism or anger"?? How about the next time someone alleges rape and society doesn't take it seriously because of this outrageously spoiled, self-centered brat. And now we should all just forgive her while she moves forward and copes. I am honest to god tired of people who cause this kind of trouble and then just expect forgiveness. I hope they go after the family for the expenses here.
Just Some Guy

Lombard, IL

#4 Oct 11, 2008
At the very least, any male who may have been questioned and/or detained by police as a result of this lie deserves a profound, personal apology from this woman, delivered publicly. That is, if her lawyer doesn't claim this would be "cruel and unusual punishment for her".
too old

Lombard, IL

#5 Oct 11, 2008
She needs to go to jail... reporting a false crime should be punishable by the same consequences as the alleged crime IMO.
Excuses

Edwardsburg, MI

#6 Oct 11, 2008
I wonder how much of the taxpayer's money was wasted in this fiasco. The family of this girl should be made to pay the cost of all the hours that law enforcement personel wasted on this incident. There are people with mental prolems that cannot get the help they need. This girl wasted a lot more than money.
Joey

Palm Springs, CA

#7 Oct 11, 2008
Why are they "young women" when they're 15 & pregnant, but they're "girls" when they are 17 and making excuses for their behavior?

Where is the "pity" when some man is falsely accused? Then, as here, we are supposed to "move on." She's "troubled."

Just another spoiled princess who had the "guilts" and second thoughts after sexing her boyfriend.
Exactlyy

United States

#8 Oct 11, 2008
When I first heard the story, and some people at my work were talking about it was possibly be fake, it all started to make sense, because the things she did, were as if she wasn't thinking, but i gave her the benefit of the doubt because I know her, and I didn't think she'd be so stupid..

apparantly i was very very wrong,
and now, she has to live with the guilt of being
a moron and falsifying information to save her own ass.

GREAT JOB.
ojm

Oak Lawn, IL

#9 Oct 11, 2008
you shouldnt talk about someone you nothing about this is entirely wrong for people to judge someone on what they did because you have never been in the situation she was in and you dont know her lifes background
and she is not spoiled
too old

Lombard, IL

#10 Oct 11, 2008
ojm wrote:
you shouldnt talk about someone you nothing about this is entirely wrong for people to judge someone on what they did because you have never been in the situation she was in and you dont know her lifes background
and she is not spoiled
I don't care about her life background... lying about a rape is unforgivable. Period.

She should be made to pay back the funds that were used on her bogus allegation, made to publically apologize to anyone who was questioned for her bogus assault, and made to serve the jail term that a rapist would serve. Maybe that would deter this "young woman" from lying again.
annonymous

Milwaukee, WI

#11 Oct 11, 2008
You guys are completely out of line. Why should someone with a mental problem serve jail time? Shouldn't she receive counceling and be sent to a mental institute to get help? Obviously, there is something seriously wrong with her.. what would jail do..further damage her..that's what.

I personally know her. Two wrongs don't make a right. What she did is absurd and ridiculous...but she is already paying for it. She can never go back to her high school and face these people again. She has more problems than lying problems. She is messed up in the head for numerous reasons. Don't act like you know her if you don't.

Finally, this is HER fault...not her family's. So stop saying stuff about her family because they knew nothing about it..just like the rest of us here. All of this happened in HER head without anyone else knowing. Sure she should pay consequences, but she certainly deserves to get help as well.

I am not asking you to forgive her. This is something we will never forget. I could not focus at school and was hysterical. I was scared to death that something would happen to me because this man wasn't caught. However, I would rather see her get treatment and help. She cannot take back what she did and who she affected...but she CAN still have a future in her life.
Dave

Naperville, IL

#13 Oct 11, 2008
They should put her picture and name all over the paper and television to show others what will happen if they lie.
SouthSide Bob

Park Forest, IL

#15 Oct 11, 2008
For those of you who will counter that I am racist for lumping an entire group together based on the actions of some 'rotten apples', well, welcome to my world. I was born here, lived here and educated here and still cannot shake the group mentality from what some rotten apples from my community did.

How's that show fit?
Oh Really

Schaumburg, IL

#16 Oct 11, 2008
ojm wrote:
you shouldnt talk about someone you nothing about this is entirely wrong for people to judge someone on what they did because you have never been in the situation she was in and you dont know her lifes background
and she is not spoiled
Why not ask Gary Dotson how it feels to spend roughly 10 years in prison for a rape he did not commit because some girl got scared and accused him of the crime? Only after she came out and told the truth and DNA exonerated him was he freed. Then come back and tell me "I have never been in the situation" or "she is not spoiled".

What a selfish, ridiculous thought process you have.
Oh Really

Schaumburg, IL

#17 Oct 11, 2008
SouthSide Bob wrote:
For those of you who will counter that I am racist for lumping an entire group together based on the actions of some 'rotten apples', well, welcome to my world. I was born here, lived here and educated here and still cannot shake the group mentality from what some rotten apples from my community did.
How's that show fit?
11-D. Fits fine. Precisely why many of us don't like YOU. Touche.
Joey

Palm Springs, CA

#18 Oct 11, 2008
annonymous wrote:
You guys are completely out of line. Why should someone with a mental problem serve jail time? Shouldn't she receive counceling and be sent to a mental institute to get help? Obviously, there is something seriously wrong with her.. what would jail do..further damage her..that's what.
I personally know her. Two wrongs don't make a right. What she did is absurd and ridiculous...but she is already paying for it. She can never go back to her high school and face these people again. She has more problems than lying problems. She is messed up in the head for numerous reasons. Don't act like you know her if you don't.
Finally, this is HER fault...not her family's. So stop saying stuff about her family because they knew nothing about it..just like the rest of us here. All of this happened in HER head without anyone else knowing. Sure she should pay consequences, but she certainly deserves to get help as well.
I am not asking you to forgive her. This is something we will never forget. I could not focus at school and was hysterical. I was scared to death that something would happen to me because this man wasn't caught. However, I would rather see her get treatment and help. She cannot take back what she did and who she affected...but she CAN still have a future in her life.
A "mental" problem? And did you diagnose her, Doctor?

The real problem is that she is a manipulative, scheming, female canine, who has learned to play victim.

The ongoing vilification of men permits these harridans to practice for the eventual divorce, child custody, and criminal courts that will be a big part of their later lives.
Hello

Paso Robles, CA

#19 Oct 11, 2008
annonymous wrote:
You guys are completely out of line. Why should someone with a mental problem serve jail time? Shouldn't she receive counceling and be sent to a mental institute to get help? Obviously, there is something seriously wrong with her.. what would jail do..further damage her..that's what.
I personally know her. Two wrongs don't make a right. What she did is absurd and ridiculous...but she is already paying for it.
She can never go back to her high school and face these people again. She has more problems than lying problems. She is messed up in the head for numerous reasons. Don't act like you know her if you don't.
Finally, this is HER fault...not her family's. So stop saying stuff about her family because they knew nothing about it..just like the rest of us here. All of this happened in HER head without anyone else knowing. Sure she should pay consequences, but she certainly deserves to get help as well.
I am not asking you to forgive her. This is something we will never forget. I could not focus at school and was hysterical. I was scared to death that something would happen to me because this man wasn't caught. However, I would rather see her get treatment and help. She cannot take back what she did and who she affected...but she CAN still have a future in her life.
What is totally out of line is lying about this entire thing using time, money and manpower on a crime that never happen. Time, money and manpower that could have been used on real crimes. The article in the southtown says they will not be charging the family. Great lets all wait for the next person to try this since this girl will receive no punishment.

If she has some sort of mental problem I am sorry she still needs to pay for this in some way.

What is absurd and ridiculous is not taking action against this girl. "Two wrongs don't make a right" you say well with that line of thinking we should not punish anyone for anything. How is charging her or filing a suit against her a wront? She needs help but still needs to pay.
Hello

Paso Robles, CA

#20 Oct 11, 2008
ojm wrote:
you shouldnt talk about someone you nothing about this is entirely wrong for people to judge someone on what they did because you have never been in the situation she was in and you dont know her lifes background
and she is not spoiled
I don't think any situation she comes from could justify this. She had a community scared, dark men scared she might point them out as the "rapist" and money and time wasted. What would have happen if some poor guy had to go to jail as part of he lie? The town wasted of $200,000 and hours of manpower on this. Yes she needs help but come on all she gets is a slap on the hands? What is going to prevent the next attention seeking girl from doing this?
Sam

Chicago, IL

#21 Oct 11, 2008
Even being a girl, I show no respect for this liar.....lying about a rape is not something to do. And as far as a having a mental problem, ok, maybe she did...

But I doubt it! Wake up America: teenage girls today do ANYTHING for attention. She was probably not getting enough of it and played this shady trick...

Not cool!!!
too old

Lombard, IL

#22 Oct 11, 2008
annonymous wrote:
You guys are completely out of line. Why should someone with a mental problem serve jail time? Shouldn't she receive counceling and be sent to a mental institute to get help? Obviously, there is something seriously wrong with her.. what would jail do..further damage her..that's what.
I personally know her. Two wrongs don't make a right. What she did is absurd and ridiculous...but she is already paying for it. She can never go back to her high school and face these people again. She has more problems than lying problems. She is messed up in the head for numerous reasons. Don't act like you know her if you don't.
Finally, this is HER fault...not her family's. So stop saying stuff about her family because they knew nothing about it..just like the rest of us here. All of this happened in HER head without anyone else knowing. Sure she should pay consequences, but she certainly deserves to get help as well.
I am not asking you to forgive her. This is something we will never forget. I could not focus at school and was hysterical. I was scared to death that something would happen to me because this man wasn't caught. However, I would rather see her get treatment and help. She cannot take back what she did and who she affected...but she CAN still have a future in her life.
Again, her mental "issues" and disregard for the truth are not my concern. The fact remains- she LIED about a crime, she WASTED taxpayer money, she SCARED a community.. and for what? Because she's "unbalanced"?

Screw her. She should rot in jail and THEN she will see what "mental issues" are...
too old

Lombard, IL

#23 Oct 11, 2008
SouthSide Bob wrote:
For those of you who will counter that I am racist for lumping an entire group together based on the actions of some 'rotten apples', well, welcome to my world. I was born here, lived here and educated here and still cannot shake the group mentality from what some rotten apples from my community did.
How's that show fit?
Just fine, thanks. Next time you're lumped in with the rest of the "bad apples" of your race, remember that what comes around, goes around.

Glad we're on the same page, loser.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palos Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snow removal (Jan '15) 3 hr Change BlPW 152
2018 MLK parade on Western? 3 hr CASA 7
Public Safety Director Position is Open for A... 4 hr The Watchers 224
Shooting in dixmoor il 4 hr Concerned 2
Can someone answer my question? 5 hr Answer 9
What Is The Story? 6 hr barking up 3
Are we trying to hide a shady past Arty? (Mar '17) 7 hr Welfare Fraud Mic... 39

Palos Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Palos Heights Mortgages