Palos Fire Protection Chief Talks Referendum: Part 1

Mar 24, 2011 Full story: Patch.com 16

0 of 0 new Videos Credit Dan Lambert http://o2.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/PATCH/resize/273x203/http://hss-prod.hss.aol.com/hss/storage/patch/30490c9c4e3314393ffda306a18f8b4 Patch sat down with Chief Steve Carr of the Palos Fire Protection District to talk about the district's referendum.

Read more
Thomas Kelly

Oak Forest, IL

#1 Mar 25, 2011
I urge everyone to vote NO for the fire protection district referendum. The trustees have not done well with money management and have brought on this problem.. We need consolidation, streamligning and elimination of some positions before taking from the taxpayer. I tire of the excuses at all levels of government. If we give them this tax increase now, they will only want more later. If your home is worth $500,000 at fair market value, can you afford another $240 in taxes? I cannot. I have had to make severe cuts in my business and private finances. They should do the same.
LoveMyIllinoisTa xes

Orland Park, IL

#2 Mar 25, 2011
Since Quinn and Company raised most peoples taxes $1500/year....whats another $240.....)
Freddy

United States

#3 Mar 25, 2011
The Justice Mayor wants to do the same thing. How much more can people pay????
About time

Lemont, IL

#4 Mar 25, 2011
Freddy wrote:
The Justice Mayor wants to do the same thing. How much more can people pay????
How about the more then 6000 people that don't pay anything for their fire protection. Why should half the residents pay for fire protection out of their taxes and the other half pay ZERO !!! Its about time they wake up and put this referendum up on the ballot. The town would not be broke if everyone was paying since they went to the f.p.d. years ago.
8 Is Enough

Harvey, IL

#5 Mar 28, 2011
Answer this. Why is it Palos Fire is the ONLY department that when responding to another town takes all eight out of the on duty personel to the scen shutting the station down. Instead of taking 3 or 4 like every other department they shut the station down. They don't care because they then rely on Orland to come in and cover their calls. Oh that is how they keep there tax rate down.
Step Up To The Plate

Winfield, IL

#7 Mar 29, 2011
A lot of misinformed people, never see any members of the public attend the public meetings. Easy to be opinionated and hide behind a cpu monitor. Maybe you need to direct your frustration in the right direction.
Bob

Tinley Park, IL

#8 Mar 29, 2011
To 8 is enough, please check your facts before you make a statement. Palos, like any other dept. only sends out of town what is requested per the m.a.b.a.s agreement. Maybe you should show up at a meeting once in awhile and ask some questions before making false statements.
Fact Checker

Harvey, IL

#9 Mar 31, 2011
Bob wrote:
To 8 is enough, please check your facts before you make a statement. Palos, like any other dept. only sends out of town what is requested per the m.a.b.a.s agreement. Maybe you should show up at a meeting once in awhile and ask some questions before making false statements.
Bob you need to check your facts. Palos responds to fires with EVERYONE ASSIGNED to station 1. That is usually 7 or 8 personnel. That is a FACT. If you don't believe me call Palos Heights, Orland, Alsip, Crestwood, North Palos. These chiefs all think it is funny when Palos shows up to staging and states we got 7, or we got 8 on the truck. That is a true fact. The other chiefs would not lie as a matter of fact THEY ALL MAKE FUN OF PALOS because their Deputy Chief called all around begging to have his truck put on full stills so he could elevate his run numbers in order to justify their manpower and one of his promises was a minimun of 6 on the truck. So now who needs to checks their facts?
Josephine Albertusak

Oak Forest, IL

#10 Apr 1, 2011
I live in Palos Hts but cannot get out to meetings, due to my age and health. But, I watch the meetings on cable and feel I am well informed. I have recieved several rather expensive mailings from the fire district to vote yes. But when a lady came to my door with a flier urging me to vote no, I looked up the references she gave and verified the facts. Mike Flannery from Fox Chicago reported on this. I voted a big NO on Friday after checking my facts. We need to stop bailing out everything. I cannot afford any more tax increases.
Marianne Kelly

Oak Forest, IL

#11 Apr 2, 2011
I think people should readd the minutes of the fire district. You will find that pension problems are at the heart of the financial problems. I will not fall for the scare tactics of dramatic service cuts. For my entire life, every time the school board or town or police or fire departments get in a hole they say " we need more money or we will not be able to provide service". Stop it. I can handle some government cuts. hOW ABOUT A PRIVATE CITIZEN GROUP TO BE APPOINTED TO MAKE RECCOMMENDATIONS.? We must stop going to the propery tax. I live in unencorporated palos
Bob

Tinley Park, IL

#12 Apr 4, 2011
LOL fact checker is an idiot LOL
mac

United States

#13 Apr 4, 2011
What a shame that some people miss the point. Our job requires that we serve the public in the best manner posible and also try to remain safe. We have a 3 minute response time. This will be severely hampered if we do not pass this referendum. The vast majority of calls are EMS related. Our demographics state the public that we serve is more advanced in age. Therefore, the demand is much higher and the problems can be more advanced. Simply allow us the tools to do our job. As a member of the department AND who has loved ones that live in the district the question is, do I want them to have the best service available(which I believe we now provide), of course. The alternative is forcing us and you to rely on other departments (who are also facing the same financial issue)respond from a remote location to someones home? No one is threatening anyone. This IS the reality of service cuts. I as well as firefighters across America take to heart the oath to serve regardless who or where. The pay, the pension, the politics,whatever you falsely believe is the driving issue is simply incorrect. Firefighters are a pround and honorable group(ALL ACROSS AMERICA) Please simply make an informed decision and allow democracy do the rest. Referendum or not the proud members of Palos Fire will continue to do the best job that our resources will allow.
Nicely Put

Evergreen Park, IL

#14 Apr 4, 2011
mac wrote:
What a shame that some people miss the point. Our job requires that we serve the public in the best manner posible and also try to remain safe. We have a 3 minute response time. This will be severely hampered if we do not pass this referendum. The vast majority of calls are EMS related. Our demographics state the public that we serve is more advanced in age. Therefore, the demand is much higher and the problems can be more advanced. Simply allow us the tools to do our job. As a member of the department AND who has loved ones that live in the district the question is, do I want them to have the best service available(which I believe we now provide), of course. The alternative is forcing us and you to rely on other departments (who are also facing the same financial issue)respond from a remote location to someones home? No one is threatening anyone. This IS the reality of service cuts. I as well as firefighters across America take to heart the oath to serve regardless who or where. The pay, the pension, the politics,whatever you falsely believe is the driving issue is simply incorrect. Firefighters are a pround and honorable group(ALL ACROSS AMERICA) Please simply make an informed decision and allow democracy do the rest. Referendum or not the proud members of Palos Fire will continue to do the best job that our resources will allow.
Nice job MAC. People dont get the whole story. Just see a number on a tax bill. Just hear what CNN tells them. Just hears what the Tea Party tells them. Just reads what this blog tells them.

They dont understand that the services they expect and receive are threatened, which is all about quality of life, and getting the best emergency care and fire protection they expect. If you allow the funds to dwindle ever year, something has to give.

You will continue to do a great job, and you will continue to care. That is the problem.

This is about what kind of services your continue to receive. Decide if it is worth the few hundred dollars to continue to sleep soundly knowing there is enough MACs sitting in their stations who will be there.

VOTE YES. They are asking for the support, because they TRULY NEED IT.
Nancy Warner

Oak Forest, IL

#15 Apr 4, 2011
I an not a misinformed person. I have read the information and listened to the fire chief. My vote was no. Yes, something has to give. I encourage all to read the referendum, but check out Mike Flannerys report and read the minutes of the fire protection meetings. This is more about unfunded pensions.
Jack McQuinn

Harvey, IL

#16 Apr 5, 2011
My ISP comes up Oak Forest. I don't know why. This is the first time I am posting. I voted no for the tax increase. I was informed by my neighbor that when Palos Park is requested to assist another fire department they respond with everybody in the station. He should me the blog. They even gave towns to call. A person came on to try a refute the comments and then resorted to name calling. Another came on with the wo is me statement. I called the other towns and was shocked. Palos does respond with everybody out of the station and relies on Orland to come in and covert the town. No other town does this according to the other chiefs. Leave some men back in town and show you are responsible and maybe just maybe we will support your efforts. Until then do like everyone else make do with what you have.
Too Bad So Sad

United States

#17 May 10, 2011
All towns less than 20,000 population should have 100% non pensioned part time firefighters. Last week in Palos there was a house fire and thirteen, thats right, THIRTEEN fire departments responded! Talk about padding the numbers to justify your existence.

Palos fire comes around with their hat in hand every election cycle crying poor. Thankfully the taxpayers rejected the non sense this time around. Didn't they win a referendum not long ago? Why do they need money again? Why do they always have enough time and extra manpower to play basketball behind the Palos Heights harlem avenue station?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palos Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MVP Flyer 23 min herc 2
Go Marietta Go 40 min Mokena will get b... 5
Red Light Cameras? 52 min herc 3
Mokena progress 2015 53 min ELocal134 8
code enforcer 1 hr wondering 2
Local Politics Do you approve of Todd H. Stroger as Commissioner? (Mar '12) 1 hr Get a clue 5
How many are Running for School Board!!!! 2 hr how about 18
Palos Heights Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Palos Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]