Bremen's Future?
Troy Street

Alsip, IL

#1 Jan 15, 2013
http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net/cms/lib6/IL010...

When thinking about the big gap in Bremen scores vs OFHS, I checked out the daily announcements of each school. OFHS is not New Trier but they are the local competition and are certainly doing better than BHS. I thought it was telling that they have started the conversation about were the students see themselves after HS. They also talk about the money needed to get there. This one talks about scholarships, earlier this week they had one on a paid internship. I think the disparity in this school district (228) is from many factors but I know that this school board has failed the people of Posen. If the people in Posen want their kids prepared for their future, they need to vote out the current leadership of Bremen High School District 228. Remove President Deborah Stearns and Chairperson Evelyn Gleason. Vote for your kids future.

I've only found info on one candidate, Larry Canning, who is a Hillcrest grad, at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vote-Canning228...

This guy looks like 228 may have a great opportunity at hand as he is the only person who sees these poor scores as a problem. Evelyn Gleason has been on this board for 20 years, if she was concerned with scores don't you think she would have done something by now? President Stearns is a professional politician who was reported by the Southtown Star to have held secret meetings about giving the Bremen Treasurer a 13% raise. She is also running for a township post as now she wants to get paid for her political games.
of parent

Chicago, IL

#2 Jan 15, 2013
Troy Street wrote:
http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net /cms/lib6/IL01001099/Centricit y/Domain/576/1-15-13.pdf

When thinking about the big gap in Bremen scores vs OFHS, I checked out the daily announcements of each school. OFHS is not New Trier but they are the local competition and are certainly doing better than BHS. I thought it was telling that they have started the conversation about were the students see themselves after HS. They also talk about the money needed to get there. This one talks about scholarships, earlier this week they had one on a paid internship. I think the disparity in this school district (228) is from many factors but I know that this school board has failed the people of Posen. If the people in Posen want their kids prepared for their future, they need to vote out the current leadership of Bremen High School District 228. Remove President Deborah Stearns and Chairperson Evelyn Gleason. Vote for your kids future.

I've only found info on one candidate, Larry Canning, who is a Hillcrest grad, at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vote-Canning228...

This guy looks like 228 may have a great opportunity at hand as he is the only person who sees these poor scores as a problem. Evelyn Gleason has been on this board for 20 years, if she was concerned with scores don't you think she would have done something by now? President Stearns is a professional politician who was reported by the Southtown Star to have held secret meetings about giving the Bremen Treasurer a 13% raise. She is also running for a township post as now she wants to get paid for her political games.
Both school announcements are from OFHS. Please post Bremens
Joker

Manhattan, IL

#3 Jan 16, 2013
Bremen is a terrible school and if you value your kids education you would move out of district
Troy Street

Alsip, IL

#4 Jan 16, 2013
of parent

Chicago, IL

#5 Jan 16, 2013
Troy Street wrote:
http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net /cms/lib6/IL01001099/Centricit y/Domain/576/1-15-13.pdf

Perhaps the problem is not the school board but the community. If the school announcements at Bremen concerned college meetings would the kids even show up?? I would guess far more Of kids are I interested in college than Bremen kids. I've Lived around here a long time - there is a difference in the communities
Troy Street

Alsip, IL

#6 Jan 16, 2013
I don't know where to begin ?

High school is one of the most memorable experiences in a kids life. It is where they spend four years with educated mentors who introduce them to the world beyond the local movie theater. At 14 years old these kids are so impressionable that they are like a sponge. This may be their last chance to get on the right path to a successful life. This is when you let them know that the world has so much to offer. All kids deserve to receive all that D228 has to offer. I don't understand how you can limit information or opportunities based on where I live.

The school board recently changed direction on their curriculum and their philosophy. They cancelled a program where the eighth graders would start their school day with algebra and Spanish at Bremen then go to their home school for the rest of the day. They replaced it with the Physics First program where they take a physics course as freshmen instead of as a junior, which is typical at every other high school. They are also making more of the class selections for you. We had a couple of kids go through Bremen successfully and now we can no longer repeat that curriculum. They did not work with the parents or the students or the teachers on this. I don't like this curriculum but If I did, they way they are implementing will make it unsuccessful.
Happy Happy Happy

United States

#7 Feb 16, 2013
I am happy with the Board and the school. When my second son was enrolled in this course I was concerned. I talked to the teacher and Dr. Kibelkis. I was told that this change would help students understand concepts for later classes easier. Was it hard, yes. Is my son handling it yes. He needed a challenge. Too much is easy for him. The teacher approved of it. You state that opportunities shouldn't be limited based on where you live, yet this is exactly what you are proposing. When I talked to Dr . Kibelkis, he told me they had been using this curriculum for years at other schools. I am sorry, it seems your child is having a hard time. Talk to the school, they will help. You can try your way of complaining here, I don't know if it will help your child. I am happy with it. Sorry they don't plan what they teach just for your child.
As for Mrs. Stearns, I wouldn't call her a career politician. She hasn't been there that long. I don't know that I would call any school board member a career politician. Maybe she should be though. We could use more like her in Illinois so many seem to lack integrity. What is she gaining from being a school board member? Looks like a thankless job to me. Do you remember how that board was? She has brought professionalism and courtesy to it. I didn't know she was running for township, thank you. I will be sure to vote for her. Doesn't seem like anything happens there, maybe she will improve them too.

Did you call the school about the announcements? Could be Bremen is doing the same thing, it's just a different person typing these things up for each school. Bet not, you just want to complain and write fiction. This school has improved leaps and bounds over the last few years. Dr. Kibelkis is wonderful. If I remember correctly, Mrs. Stearns was on the board when that change happened too. Remember this school is here for all the students, not just yours. You could have chosen to be a board member but you didn't. Why? Unless you are Mr. Canning playing dirty politics.
We are Bremen Braves, we have pride!(At least most of us)
Troy Street wrote:
I don't know where to begin ?
High school is one of the most memorable experiences in a kids life. It is where they spend four years with educated mentors who introduce them to the world beyond the local movie theater. At 14 years old these kids are so impressionable that they are like a sponge. This may be their last chance to get on the right path to a successful life. This is when you let them know that the world has so much to offer. All kids deserve to receive all that D228 has to offer. I don't understand how you can limit information or opportunities based on where I live.
The school board recently changed direction on their curriculum and their philosophy. They cancelled a program where the eighth graders would start their school day with algebra and Spanish at Bremen then go to their home school for the rest of the day. They replaced it with the Physics First program where they take a physics course as freshmen instead of as a junior, which is typical at every other high school. They are also making more of the class selections for you. We had a couple of kids go through Bremen successfully and now we can no longer repeat that curriculum. They did not work with the parents or the students or the teachers on this. I don't like this curriculum but If I did, they way they are implementing will make it unsuccessful.
WTF

Alsip, IL

#8 Feb 25, 2013
They didn't even have text books for this course, they watched videos. It was a waste of time, valuable time. The school has not improved leaps and bounds, what do you base this on??? You say Stearns isn't a career politician then say "oh I see she is also running for Township Supervisor". She's running for two elected seats at the same time! what constitutes a professional for you? This board controls about $90 million dollars, hires people making $200,000.00 a year plus, not to mention approving contracts. They don't do this for nothing. It's a school board's "priority one" to educate the kids. As part of that they need to communicate to the parents and community as education begins at home. They avoid communicating at all costs. When is the last time you've seen a newsletter from Bremen High School ? They actually pay a person just for that purpose, I haven't seen one. When they fail to educate our kids the cost is measurable in lives, opportunities lost and property values. Also "we Have Pride" needs to be changed...

Pride is an inwardly directed emotion that carries two common meanings. With a negative connotation, pride refers to an inflated sense of one's personal status or accomplishments, often used synonymously with hubris.

When I think of this particular board I would suggest

"Education not Litigation"

"Kids First Physics Last"

any suggestions ???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palos Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stevo at the City Council meeting 17 min There it is 98
News Disabled Veteran Beaten in Front of Own Home: Wife (Oct '15) 32 min Alice Jones 9
State Rep 28th Bob Rita is not addressing the ... (Jul '14) 37 min Wopner 162
Michael Seno (Oct '15) 1 hr justiceWASserved 13
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 2 hr ATTENTION NEEDED 8,970
Pokemon Go 4 hr Pokemonnut 4
Did you attend tonight's Flooding meeting at Pa... 6 hr Flooding Continues 14

Palos Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Palos Heights Mortgages