Palos, Orland Fire Merger Floated By Board President

Jan 13, 2012 Full story: Patch.com 8

The Palos Fire Protection District is taking numerous steps to address budget issues that have plagued the organization in recent years.

Full Story
Crash Course

Oak Forest, IL

#1 Jan 16, 2012
Nothing about that merger sounds good to me
Of Course

Orland Park, IL

#2 Jan 19, 2012
Hey Crash, if done right a merger would work well for the taxpayers. The political "kingdoms" is the obstacle. A merger is very difficult but not impossible.
No Way

Orland Park, IL

#3 Jan 19, 2012
Orland cant even fully staff its own stations. A merge now with Palos. No way
You Are Right No Way

Markham, IL

#4 Jan 24, 2012
No Way wrote:
Orland cant even fully staff its own stations. A merge now with Palos. No way
Why would Orland who has no budget problems and staffs 26 firefighters a day with ease want to absorb the debt of a very poorly run Palos Fire? Why?

Orland has no problems staffing their fire houses. As a matter of fact they paid out over 2 million in overtime last year. Orland is very flush.

It would not be fair to us taxpayers in Orland to take on Palos's debt. They over hired and signed a contract that is unsustainable. Let Palos figure it out. As a resident I would say let Orland take over the part of Orland Park that Palos Park fire covers. This at least would lessen the burden on Palos Park fire a little bit. I am going to suggest this to the Village of Orland to have the Mayor negotiate this. It only makes sense to have Orland Park fire cover Orland and that would help Palos by reducing their calls for service.
neither no way are right

Orland Park, IL

#5 Jan 25, 2012
Orland staffs 28 ffs a day. The mayors of either towns have nothing to do with the fire districts. Orland does have some budget issues, just like everyone else.
Posen FD

Blue Island, IL

#6 Jan 25, 2012
neither no way are right wrote:
Orland staffs 28 ffs a day. The mayors of either towns have nothing to do with the fire districts. Orland does have some budget issues, just like everyone else.
I talked to Chief Krizik. You are very wrong. Orland has no money problems and is going to rebate money to the tax payers. That is a fact I talked to a few guys at Orland and there is no money problems. As a matter of fact they are cutting through the fat in order to rebate money and they still have enough. Palos is screwed. The union really put them in a bind.
wiseguy

Orland Park, IL

#7 Jan 25, 2012
If anything should be merged here, it should be these fire districts into the local village government, period! Why not work on that Mayor!
Concerned Taxpayer

Homer Glen, IL

#9 Jan 26, 2012
I have not read anywhere, where the union has agreed to concessions. on Orland Park Patch they posted what the arbritator ruled on their contract. They obtained a very large raise. I agree with the other guy. let Palos figure out their own problems and especially the part about Orland Park covering Orland Park. That makes sense. It would lessen their work load and therfore they would not need as many firefighters. They have to cut back like everyone else.

Using those very stupid scare tatics as closing a fire house does not work anymore. People are tapped out. Palso runs less than 1 fire a month. I find it obsurd that they will close station 2 down even though they have 8 or 9 fire fighters on duty. It sounds like they need to elect more responsive trustees and get a chief who knows how to properly run and staff a fire department.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palos Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr D-U-H 50,041
Do you approve of Krzysztof (Kris) Wasowicz as ... (Apr '13) 2 hr Not a fan 4
why not ruin the village some more 2 hr FRANK AND GEORGE 1
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! (Nov '13) 4 hr Family Member 1,231
lupita villasenor (Feb '09) 4 hr friend 12
Jewel to close third week of June (Apr '09) 5 hr Assist 385
Hey Vargas 5 hr No Defense 15

Palos Heights Jobs

Palos Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Palos Heights News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Palos Heights

Personal Finance