Mokena Board Eliminates Vehicle Stickers to Give Residents a Break

Nov 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Patch.com

Editor's Note: This article has been edited after publication to correct the spelling of Donald Labriola's name.

Comments
21 - 40 of 84 Comments Last updated Jan 10, 2013
smarter than you all are

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

Very smart. Tino is probably nice to have for a friend, but not as ANY elected official in Will County or Mokena. NOBODY has influence over me. If Tino supported the present board, that would be fine with me. That will never happen. Oh and by the way Vince Difiore, Frank Fleisher, Mary Beth Wingate. God help us all.
Smartest of all

Mokena, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

smarter than you all are wrote:
Depends who you are and what your plans for the village would be if I would help you or not. As for Meijer, they have owned the land at 143rd and Bell Road between Bank of America and Aldi/White Castle for alot longer than they have owned the land in Mokena. They put Homer Glen on hold a long time ago and Mokena building on hold after that and they put land in Romeoville along Weber Road after they put Mokena on hold. So maybe they are building in the order they owned the land. Homer glen first, Mokena second and Romeoville third, but what do I know. It is also very disturbing to me to see the Ace shopping center on Francis Road and the shopping center at 195th and LaGrange Road almost totally vacant. I don't see the sense of having Kurt Zollner and Alan Zordan high paid under Downs. I think Downs and one of those guys should be able to handle what the three are currently doing. That could put over $75,000 toward something else. Just my opinion.
They just gave Zollner's salary away when they voted out the vehicle tag fee. Now they have to pull funds from someplace else to cover it. Maybe you do know something we don't.
Yay

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Lets vote all the clowns out and not have to deal with an ugly sticker on your windshield , win win situation.
smarter than you all are

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

And vote more clowns in?
Yes

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Probably.
Politics

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

I want a job on the Mokena Street Department. BTW , for Mokena being "broke" they sure are replacing quite a few of their vehicles this year.
smarter than you all are

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Mokena is not broke and they are replacing them because they put off replacing them over the past few years. Vehicles in a municipality need to be dependable. Now who drives a village owned car is another story. The village manager should not be driving a village owned vehicle. He should get paid mileage for needing to drive to meetings outside the village.
mokena resident

Mokena, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Politics wrote:
I want a job on the Mokena Street Department. BTW , for Mokena being "broke" they sure are replacing quite a few of their vehicles this year.
here comes the criticism and bashing.never fails.
The reader

Mokena, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Mokena is not broke and they are replacing them because they put off replacing them over the past few years. Vehicles in a municipality need to be dependable. Now who drives a village owned car is another story. The village manager should not be driving a village owned vehicle. He should get paid mileage for needing to drive to meetings outside the village.
Maybe you are pretty smart after all.
No to Mayor

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

The guy who spoke at the last board meeting about the lack of transparency hit it on the head basically saying the mayor and his rubber stamp trustees are afraid to discuss things in a public forum and are just trying to BS us through another election It's hard to believe Werner has such control over them , they get elected to have their own minds but can only seem to act like robots ! The only Trustee who speaks his mind is Labriola and though he's opinionated he seems to try to do what's good for Mokena, it's ashame the other Trustees act. Like children and Team up on him. The group with the petitions came to my house and they seemed to have good ideas and passion ! Werner also has hidden for years that he uses our Tax Money to promote HIS golf out ing and chili party ! How can he do that ? He's not to be trusted ! VOTE For Anyone but Him in April !
smarter than you all are

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

LOL harder. I have been in the audiance at several meetings and have seen Labriola texting. So I watch him close on the TV when I am not in the audiance and can tell he is texting. Not exactly rocket science to see and know what he is doing. And 2007 is when the current board members didn't work too hard against Labriola and most of the 2011 candidates were a joke. But I am truly hoping Labriola will soon be kissing his own butt good-bye. He is so bad for Mokena and doesn't make any sense half the time. I never see him at community functions. If he is, tell me which ones. Labriola also misses more meetings than most of the other board members. Can't say enough about how bad he is for Mokena. And, Jim Richmond is a nice guy, but not exactly a go getter. Not a huge feat for Labriola to beat him easily. But Labriola is bad, bad, bad for Mokena!
No to Mayor

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

LOL harder. I have been in the audiance at several meetings and have seen Labriola texting. So I watch him close on the TV when I am not in the audiance and can tell he is texting. Not exactly rocket science to see and know what he is doing. And 2007 is when the current board members didn't work too hard against Labriola and most of the 2011 candidates were a joke. But I am truly hoping Labriola will soon be kissing his own butt good-bye. He is so bad for Mokena and doesn't make any sense half the time. I never see him at community functions. If he is, tell me which ones. Labriola also misses more meetings than most of the other board members. Can't say enough about how bad he is for Mokena. And, Jim Richmond is a nice guy, but not exactly a go getter. Not a huge feat for Labriola to beat him easily. But Labriola is bad, bad, bad for Mokena!
REALLY BELIEVE YA NOW !
Rude Really

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

No to Mayor: Are you kidding me? Labriola is a very odd person and does not have Mokena in his heart. He is very rude to the rest of the board and is only re-elected because they didn't run anyone against him in the election of 2011. If these guys do get reelected, Labriola might as well bend over and kiss his butt good-bye. Labriola is terrible for the people of Mokena and makes his own problems with the rest of the village board. Labriola also needs to practice what we teach our kids and keep his phone in his car during the meetings because he can't control himself during the meeting and refrain from texting. HOW IMMATURE RUDE IS THAT? And the guy that spoke at the last meeting, Jim Giglio,has a past of his own in Thornton Township. Check it out. Fleischer running is the best thing to help someone else get elected. Who can believe a word he says. He needs to stay a sore loser and go back under his rock.
You talk about Rude , how about our Village having to payout $25,000'to a man who's right we're Violated
on Election Day a few years ago because the man was at Village Hall in the parking lot supporting opponents the Mayor didnt like ! THAT'S RUDE ! Don't teach your kids that one !
Whole picture

Mokena, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

You talk about Labriola being bad for Mokena and you are entitled to your opinion. I do have a question for you. What have the other trustees done that was so great in the last 10 years? If you are going to single out one trustee then be man (or woman if that's the case) enough to tell us what all these other trustees have really accomplished.
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

To the people who think mokena is broke: if they were really broke do u think they eliminate vehicle stickers for its residence? No they wd keep them for the income. Village of mokena was in the positives this year for the first time in many years
irondale guy

Mokena, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Whole picture wrote:
<quoted text>
You talk about Labriola being bad for Mokena and you are entitled to your opinion. I do have a question for you. What have the other trustees done that was so great in the last 10 years? If you are going to single out one trustee then be man (or woman if that's the case) enough to tell us what all these other trustees have really accomplished.
You make a lot of sense what have they done? The record shows the mayor and trustees have little to show after serving for the past 8 years.Tax break on the stickers,looks like a pandering to get a few votes.We are still the Village of NO. These guy need a melodrama to do the smallest of things.
smarter than you all are

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

To rude really: There are two sides to every story, but I have to say that Tino and his group make alot of their own problems. As in most lawsuits it is sometimes cheaper to settle and payout rather than pay to defend and get a sympathetic jury and you still have to payout along with high legal fees. To no to the mayor: Why did you erase your post accusing me of being a board member to see Labriola texting? To whole picture: As I do have strong opinions pro the current board, I will not list or debate them until after the filing deadline next week. Will be very interesting to see who actually files and what position they will file for. Can't wait!
John Sanchez

Wheaton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

To rude really: There are two sides to every story, but I have to say that Tino and his group make alot of their own problems. As in most lawsuits it is sometimes cheaper to settle and payout rather than pay to defend and get a sympathetic jury and you still have to payout along with high legal fees. To no to the mayor: Why did you erase your post accusing me of being a board member to see Labriola texting? To whole picture: As I do have strong opinions pro the current board, I will not list or debate them until after the filing deadline next week. Will be very interesting to see who actually files and what position they will file for. Can't wait!
Actually, if the Village were concerned with the cost of litigation in the matter of having denied Tino Lettieri his civil rights, they could have simply acknowledged their offense and made a public apology that would have cost nothing. Instead they refused, forcing Mr. Lettieri to take the matter further.

The case ended up before a three person arbitration board where Tino was asking for $15,000 in damages. The board found that his civil rights were indeed violated and awarded him $25,000. Tino deducted his expenses from the total, and called a press conference at the VFW Hall where he distributed checks for the remainder of the award to several charitable causes.

The cost of the award was covered by an insurance policy that the Village has, but I can't speak to the funding for the litigation itself. In any event, the Village never entertained the notion of settling the issue, to save the expense of litigation, or for any other reason.
No to mayor

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

I had nothing to do with having your post removed , and I could care less if Labriola or Metanias or Mazzorano is texting for that matter . I'm concerned with the business or lack of in our Village and a Mayor who panders for votes and has forgotten the business of the village is for us and not his constant self promotion !
No to mayor

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Let me ask this question , who was responsible for sending our Police Chief multiple times to have someone removed for an potential Electioneering issue ? The normal procedure is to contact the County Clerk or States Attorney to handle this type of complaint ! It had to be our Mayor or Village Administrator who did this otherwise I'm confident a patrolman would have responded ! So was any discipline executed upon anyone ( mayor or administrator ) for this unnecessary abuse of power and ridiculous cost to the taxpayer ? The arbitration board awarded this due to a Mokena Citizens Civil Rights being VIOLATED . No excuse , No excuse !

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Palos Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Jonah1 49,368
4th of July flags 1 hr Pearl of wisdom 47
Hog Wild Restaurant 1 hr Bestribsaround 31
Two Weekend Shootings Involving Police Prompt P... 3 hr Serious Mess 2
Mass Exodus from St. Damian 5 hr Really 20
Special City Council Meeting 5 hr Lack of Accountab... 33
Thanks BI Independent Party 5 hr Lack of Accountab... 5

Search the Palos Heights Forum:
•••
•••
Palos Heights Dating

more search filters

less search filters