Travis Unified School District busine...

Travis Unified School District business chief leaving for position ...

There are 13 comments on the The Reporter story from Jul 14, 2010, titled Travis Unified School District business chief leaving for position .... In it, The Reporter reports that:

The Travis Unified School District has lost its chief business official at a time when the district is experiencing trying financial times.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Reporter.

Harold Bolquist

Rio Vista, CA

#1 Jul 14, 2010
It looks as though Travis has lost a good man. Don't really know anything about this district, but I do know that California is loosing a lot of good people. They see the writing on the wall. This state is in "financial Ruin" with an even worse outlook ahead. Good luck to this man may he do well for the children of Alaska.
Smith

San Francisco, CA

#2 Jul 14, 2010
Uh, doesn't anyone wonder about the wonderful facility improvements when Travis is allegedly running out of money? And did Mr. Forrest travel back to Travis this summer on his own dime to help see these projects through to completion? I think not. Read between the lies, people!
John

Moraga, CA

#3 Jul 14, 2010
Now might be a good time for the command structure at Travis AFB to seriously consider "expelling" the Travis Unified School District from on base facilities and bring in Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA), formerly known as DOD Schools, which is usually found on overseas posts. But with the U.S. public school system going into the sewer, it may be time for the Department of Defense to consider bringing DoDEA on board all large U.S. military base.
Solano Steve

Vacaville, CA

#4 Jul 14, 2010
Let's see if Superintendent Kate Wren Gavlak and the other overpaid Administrative Staff will renegotiate her contract and decrease their over bloated salaries by 22%. They are asking the community for a bond measure to raise money for the district but doing nothing to help out the already struggling finances of the school district. I have no problem with this bond measure if 100% of the money raised goes towards 100% for student/classroom/teacher operations and 0% for administration.
Come on Travis Unified parents; take a stand against these buracrats and let's put our kids first again.
For every teacher that was pink-slipped, there should be two administrators that are also pink-slipped. We don't need more administration/buracracy.
Travis

Vacaville, CA

#5 Jul 14, 2010
That doesn't add up. Two administrators for every teacher? Where did you go to school?
John

Moraga, CA

#6 Jul 14, 2010
Travis wrote:
That doesn't add up. Two administrators for every teacher? Where did you go to school?
Probably the School of Hard Knocks where good common sense is taught and where each and every student builds an effective baloney detector set.
TravisTeach

Belmont, CA

#7 Jul 14, 2010
"Ken always focused on what was right for the kids. He has such integrity," Gavlak said. "He always wanted to leave the district in better shape than it was when he got here and he certainly accomplished that."

In better shape? Classrooms are now terribly overcrowded, not to mention unclean. Our class sizes are now higher than Vacaville's, but facilities are improved. Where are the priorities?
Dean of Mean

Napa, CA

#8 Jul 14, 2010
John wrote:
Now might be a good time for the command structure at Travis AFB to seriously consider "expelling" the Travis Unified School District from on base facilities and bring in Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA), formerly known as DOD Schools, which is usually found on overseas posts. But with the U.S. public school system going into the sewer, it may be time for the Department of Defense to consider bringing DoDEA on board all large U.S. military base.
I think I'd rather take my chances with Travis Unified than have another government entity get involved. I can see it now.....$500 pencils,$250 erasers,$2,000 tetherball poles, etc.
John

Moraga, CA

#9 Jul 14, 2010
As an Army brat, I attended DOD Schools in both Europe and Asia. Later on, our kids attended a DoDEA school in Naples. Please allow me to say that the DOD education system is far superior than most California public school districts. That's why our kids, when we returned to the states, attended Catholic schools.
Solano Steve

Vacaville, CA

#10 Jul 14, 2010
Travis wrote:
Where did you get two administrators for every teacher out of that?? Go back and read it again....I said that for every teacher that is/was pink slipped, there should be/have been two administrators also pink slipped.

Translated that means that we need less administrators and more teachers.
Amen

Vacaville, CA

#11 Jul 15, 2010
Ah John, then you don't know jack about Travis. It's a great district!

So, I don't get it. We can't spend the money set aside for facilities on overcrowded classrooms because it lawfully can only be spent on facilities. But, because we don't have money for overcrowded classrooms, we shouldn't spend the facilities money on facilities? That makes no sense. Facilities need updated, upgraded and maintained. I want my kids to have a roof that won't fall in on their heads or an a/c that works, a safe track to run on, etc.
I'm glad Travis is thinking about my kids even when they're struggling financially.
Dean of Mean

Napa, CA

#12 Jul 15, 2010
Isn't it time to merge the Travis Unified School District and the Vacaville Unified School District into a single school district? This duplication of overlapping effort seems to be a waste of money.
John

Firebaugh, CA

#13 Jul 15, 2010
Amen wrote:
Ah John, then you don't know jack about Travis. It's a great district!
So, I don't get it. We can't spend the money set aside for facilities on overcrowded classrooms because it lawfully can only be spent on facilities. But, because we don't have money for overcrowded classrooms, we shouldn't spend the facilities money on facilities? That makes no sense. Facilities need updated, upgraded and maintained. I want my kids to have a roof that won't fall in on their heads or an a/c that works, a safe track to run on, etc.
I'm glad Travis is thinking about my kids even when they're struggling financially.
<sarcasm>Yeah, the TUSD is so great that the wife and I spent thousands of dollars to get our kids a real education at Notre Dame school and Justin Sienna HS.</sarcasm>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palmer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brittney Embry Sep 11 truthtruth 1
Attorney for Sarah Palin Aug 28 Anonymous 1
Brian Weslow and Kacey Adams (Apr '16) Aug '17 Say what 8
News Sarah Palin's Son Track Arrested for Punching a... (Jan '16) Aug '17 Bama Yankee 28
Blue Dragon Alaska Pitbull Puppy (Mar '12) Jul '17 Justsomeone 38
Looking for someone in the Palmer area. May '17 Phil Schneider 1
short film group (Jan '17) Jan '17 resident x 1

Palmer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Palmer Mortgages