Workers Win Union with ILWU Despite Rite Aid Anti-Union Drive

Mar 23, 2008 Full story: AFLCIO.org 3,090

Ignacio 'Nacho' Meza, foreground, and his co-workers fought for two years to win a voice at Rite Aid. via AFLCIO.org

Full Story
Solidarity Bother

Santa Clarita, CA

#21 Sep 27, 2008
THE TRUTH:

"And by the way the union barely got in here.They wouldnt even let everybody vote."

President Bush barely won his election. Are we to blame his policies on a president who barely got in there?

That's like saying that the Superbowl Champs just barely won the Championship!

Only the Bargaining Unit voted! Blame that on Rite Aid...they filed a court petition on who was eligible to vote or not. You obviously didn't vote in our election because you hail from Etters, PA.
Solidarity Sister

United States

#22 Sep 29, 2008
To You Were Warned, It takes alot more skill and work to operate a forklift than it does to sit in your comfortable air conditioned office and kiss ass all day. But then again, you probably have alot of asses to kiss. Remember this: The asses you are kissing today may be out of a job tomorrow and not every manager likes a "kiss ass."
THE TRUTH akaTONE

Camp Hill, PA

#23 Sep 29, 2008
Solidarity Bother wrote:
(Finally) To "The Truth": Your truth seems to be a little distorted; forklift driving is by no means unskilled labor! There are many places in Los Angeles who pay their forklift drivers more than we make (especially unionized ones), and yes, there are some who don't. This is why you need to be careful of whom you call uneducated. Your entire comment shows just how educated you are: The union isn't even there yet, and you are blaming it for the people being laid off? It sounds more like economy-woes to me. Better yet, why don't you blame (mis)management for our troubles, first? Or even go as far as the anti-labor Bush administration? If the company closes, the company closes it! Not the union, nor its supporters. It's just the sort of chicken-shit action I would expect from Rite Aid anyway!
I will not allow Rite Aid to change my values: Decent pay and humane working conditions is not a substitute for poor management, and the working class should always fight for that...if not for us, then for our children!
I hope you come around, Brother!
First of all I dont know of any people here at RA that can afford a strike anyway. And to say forklift drivers are skilled?come on man, you can teach that shit to almost anybody. And for the other dude that said there no swamp coolers,, thats a lie they do maintenance on them all the time. But whatever!I do like my job and i do feel for the people on the floor in the summer.But its not that damn hot.. If you feel its to hot maybe you should go to school and find a new line of work.If its sooo horrible why not find a new job.I think the union is a big mistake, i dont think we will get a dollar from a contract, but guess what , the union WILL still want there fees.Whats really screwed up is people like me that didnt even want the union but Im in it automatic.But I hope it works out for all of us.I dont mean to be negative, Im just a scared parent of three boys trying to survive.BTW.I have a "cushy job" in a office , but thats because I worked my ass off in college for it;not because I kissed anyones ass.
THE TRUTH akaTONE

Camp Hill, PA

#24 Sep 29, 2008
Solidarity Sister wrote:
To You Were Warned, It takes alot more skill and work to operate a forklift than it does to sit in your comfortable air conditioned office and kiss ass all day. But then again, you probably have alot of asses to kiss. Remember this: The asses you are kissing today may be out of a job tomorrow and not every manager likes a "kiss ass."
I got my forklift lincense and believe me thats nothing compared to office work.Its not like surfing the web, its takes schools to do this type of work.Push a lever forward/reverse , up/down is nowhere near as hard as office work.But you probably have no idea, you just get on topix and myspace.
THE TRUTH akaTONE

Camp Hill, PA

#25 Sep 29, 2008
Solidarity Bother wrote:
THE TRUTH:
"And by the way the union barely got in here.They wouldnt even let everybody vote."
President Bush barely won his election. Are we to blame his policies on a president who barely got in there?
That's like saying that the Superbowl Champs just barely won the Championship!
Only the Bargaining Unit voted! Blame that on Rite Aid...they filed a court petition on who was eligible to vote or not. You obviously didn't vote in our election because you hail from Etters, PA.
Actually Im from L.a i just like to leave the P.A as my location and at the time I was not eligible to vote. But i would have voted no. I hope it works out for us tho
Toatally Amazed

Chatsworth, CA

#26 Sep 30, 2008
I have been a Rite Aid employee for 9 years myself. I have worked in various positions and departments within that time. Initially I was anti-union. I keep myself pretty aware of cuurent laws and news and felt a certain comfort level in taking care of myself without the benefit of a union. That is until a coworker's need to leave to deal with the loss (death) of a child was handled as if they were speaking of lossing the family pet. When within a months time the Operations Manager's husband was fired from an on site contractor for the theft of thousands of dollars worth of pallets. Rite Aid owned CHEP pallets. This in and of itself was enough for me to change my mind. Those not as strong or in a tentative position need to be protected from thier bully mentality. All of our working conditions need to be addressed. Those kiss asses that respond in defense of this corporate bully should think about more than thier cushioned lives there and think about the single mother who has only herself to count on. You should think about the father whose only purpose there is to provide a home for his family without having to passout or die in the heat trying to accomplish this. The bottom line here is we want Rite Aid to recognize that its employees are not merely cogs in thier corporate wheel, but we are HUMAN BEINGS that make it possible for thier corporation to be the pharmacy giant that it is.
THE TRUTH akaTONE

Camp Hill, PA

#27 Sep 30, 2008
Toatally Amazed wrote:
I have been a Rite Aid employee for 9 years myself. I have worked in various positions and departments within that time. Initially I was anti-union. I keep myself pretty aware of cuurent laws and news and felt a certain comfort level in taking care of myself without the benefit of a union. That is until a coworker's need to leave to deal with the loss (death) of a child was handled as if they were speaking of lossing the family pet. When within a months time the Operations Manager's husband was fired from an on site contractor for the theft of thousands of dollars worth of pallets. Rite Aid owned CHEP pallets. This in and of itself was enough for me to change my mind. Those not as strong or in a tentative position need to be protected from thier bully mentality. All of our working conditions need to be addressed. Those kiss asses that respond in defense of this corporate bully should think about more than thier cushioned lives there and think about the single mother who has only herself to count on. You should think about the father whose only purpose there is to provide a home for his family without having to passout or die in the heat trying to accomplish this. The bottom line here is we want Rite Aid to recognize that its employees are not merely cogs in thier corporate wheel, but we are HUMAN BEINGS that make it possible for thier corporation to be the pharmacy giant that it is.
I can understand that, like I said I hope its works out for us all.
Solidarity Brother

Santa Clarita, CA

#28 Sep 30, 2008
THE TRUTH akaTONE, I'm going to be cordial because you seem to be, and I appreciate it. Have you ever thought that some of the workers on the floor DO have some education? I, for one, have been to college and I may not know how to do that nifty thing you do by inserting previous posts in yours, but we all work hard in whatever little corner of RA we're in. BTW, I'm curious if office people are even in the bargaining unit.

YES! Driving a forklift is considered "skilled labor." Just Google "forklift driving skilled labor" and see what comes up. Also, the effects of any worker in heat is well-documented no matter if the work is considered light, medium or heavy...especially repetitive-motion work. Driving a forklift full-time is not the same as driving one for a little while and then returning to another duty.

No one can afford a strike...employee nor employer, but when you get backed up in a corner, fighting's all you have left! And the majority of the bargaining unit has to vote to strike...the Union does not force its members to strike! And no one has even mentioned a strike, as far as I know. We are working with the company on the contract(albiet slowly)and, for whoever's interested in The Truth, we are planning to have gatherings on the premises to keep everyone informed.

One last point: You asked why we don't go out and find a new job. I ask you to consider this...who do you think needs a Union more, a minimum wage job or a higher paying job? The higher paying job does because if you lose a minimum wage one, you can go out and find another job anywhere. Whereas, if you lose a higher paying job, you're going to have to start at the bottom again. Job protection is very important and I'm sure you have seen the "revolving door" we have at RA.

I will work out, but we all have to want it to...WE ARE THE UNION! And we're only as strong as our weakest link.
THE TRUTH akaTONE

Camp Hill, PA

#29 Sep 30, 2008
Solidarity Bother wrote:
(Finally) To "The Truth": Your truth seems to be a little distorted; forklift driving is by no means unskilled labor! There are many places in Los Angeles who pay their forklift drivers more than we make (especially unionized ones), and yes, there are some who don't. This is why you need to be careful of whom you call uneducated. Your entire comment shows just how educated you are: The union isn't even there yet, and you are blaming it for the people being laid off? It sounds more like economy-woes to me. Better yet, why don't you blame (mis)management for our troubles, first? Or even go as far as the anti-labor Bush administration? If the company closes, the company closes it! Not the union, nor its supporters. It's just the sort of chicken-shit action I would expect from Rite Aid anyway!
I will not allow Rite Aid to change my values: Decent pay and humane working conditions is not a substitute for poor management, and the working class should always fight for that...if not for us, then for our children!
I hope you come around, Brother!
Well its mighty strange all these people been laid off or fired right after the vote. hmmm
THE TRUTH akaTONE

Camp Hill, PA

#30 Sep 30, 2008
Solidarity Brother wrote:
THE TRUTH akaTONE, I'm going to be cordial because you seem to be, and I appreciate it. Have you ever thought that some of the workers on the floor DO have some education? I, for one, have been to college and I may not know how to do that nifty thing you do by inserting previous posts in yours, but we all work hard in whatever little corner of RA we're in. BTW, I'm curious if office people are even in the bargaining unit.
YES! Driving a forklift is considered "skilled labor." Just Google "forklift driving skilled labor" and see what comes up. Also, the effects of any worker in heat is well-documented no matter if the work is considered light, medium or heavy...especially repetitive-motion work. Driving a forklift full-time is not the same as driving one for a little while and then returning to another duty.
No one can afford a strike...employee nor employer, but when you get backed up in a corner, fighting's all you have left! And the majority of the bargaining unit has to vote to strike...the Union does not force its members to strike! And no one has even mentioned a strike, as far as I know. We are working with the company on the contract(albiet slowly)and, for whoever's interested in The Truth, we are planning to have gatherings on the premises to keep everyone informed.
One last point: You asked why we don't go out and find a new job. I ask you to consider this...who do you think needs a Union more, a minimum wage job or a higher paying job? The higher paying job does because if you lose a minimum wage one, you can go out and find another job anywhere. Whereas, if you lose a higher paying job, you're going to have to start at the bottom again. Job protection is very important and I'm sure you have seen the "revolving door" we have at RA.
I will work out, but we all have to want it to...WE ARE THE UNION! And we're only as strong as our weakest link.
I wasnt trying to put down lift drivers I see them standing on those lifts all day and that got to be boring and tiring.Im just afraid Im gonna have to pay some prick my kids money (union fees) and nothing gonna change. I do believe that management has favorites and thats wrong, but ALL jobs do that.Its call playing the game, if the union needs me I'll be there, but for now I dont trust what I dont see. But lets be for real, it will cost sooo much money to air condition this building, and the air would just go out the dock doors anyway, I dont think that will change, I hope you people know what your doing with this tiny little union. I dont want to have to find me another job.
Solidarity Brother

Lancaster, CA

#31 Oct 6, 2008
All those people getting laid off since the campaign began is still RA's scare tactic. And it works as long as all the "silent" union supporters stay silent.
We all agree with you on the air-conditioning issue though. Unfortunately, the building wasn't designed for it in the first place. It's funny though: last week, I was working in the middle of the building (in the each pick mods) and I was actually comfortable (it is cooling down finally, I thought). But then I went over to the Receiving-side and, I'll be damned if all the dock fans were turned off and not one dock door open! The temperature difference was too notable. I then proceeded to turn on a few fans and, after a while it felt much better. RA doesn't do enough to keep us cool. Period! Get involved and find out what we're doing. We're doing it for you too, and you might have some ideas we never thought about.
THE TRUTH akaTONE

Camp Hill, PA

#32 Oct 6, 2008
When and where is the next union meeting?
THE TRUTH akaTONE

Camp Hill, PA

#34 Oct 6, 2008
Sorry about that I just notice you directed your comment at "you were warned" my bad.
Solidarity Brother

Lancaster, CA

#35 Oct 8, 2008
Meetings are now set up the last Thursday of each month at the Desert Inn 44219 N. Sierra Highway. There's one at 11 am for the night-shift people and at 5 pm for the day-side. We have also started to have meetings in the cafeteria during our lunches because, let's face it, after 10 hours of work some people have other things they need to do and can't always make it to the Desert Inn. We're still working on the frequency of the cafeteria meetings and it will most likely come up at the next Desert Inn meeting...hope to see you there.
THE TRUTH akaTONE

Camp Hill, PA

#36 Oct 16, 2008
So what is the union thinking about this raise we just got?
Sour Apples

Raleigh, NC

#37 Oct 22, 2008
Nice to see more people/action on this board.

As my infamous criminal martyr once said, "Can't we all just get along". Let's take heart brothers and sisters, work out your differences and strive for a common goal; wouldn't it be nice if everyone could say, "I am proud I work at Rite Aid". Better working conditions, improved wages & benefits, just & fair time and/or work standards, progressive & just cause discpline...these are just a few things that would help towards a more harmonious work environment. I don't think Corporate Rite Aid will voluntarily help towards this end; a union united can help reach this end. STAND TOGETHER!!
Darkness

Reseda, CA

#38 Oct 22, 2008
Solidarity Brother, I believe I might know who you are, and possibly, you might know who I am. I've gone through everyone's comments and so far I'm seeing a lot of truth. I've worked for RA for 3 years now and I CANNOT WAIT till we get this union thing rolling! There was mentioning of swamp coolers? We do have some actually.. I think theres some in the third level pick mods, and I know for sure we have then on the pallet stations in Outbound.

As far as this comment about "skilled forklift drivers" I would have to agree that it DOES take a lot of skill depending on your performance. As of right now, my rate is at 180+ in one code, and 105%- 135%+ in others. Depending if I'm the stations or loading, I spend almost the entire 10-12 hours on my stand-up. I don't prefere the sit-down's because they screw up your neck, fuck up constantly, not as easily maneuverable. and OLDER THAN GOD. Because of this. I have a contant aching pain in my left knee because of having to constantly stand on my left leg the most to keep the e-break down. Why these things, as well as the reach trucks, don't have normal breaks, I will never know. Atleast on the reach, you can stand/sit on the higher peddals. I know how much skill it take to drive a lift, especially a reach, because I work my ass off (185%+)and have never had a single accident. It just depends whether or not you give a shit about what you do. I do! I absolutelly LOVE loading. The ONLY thing that disgusts me and makes my job misserable is our Dept. Manager. No one, and I repeat NO ONE likes or even respects him AT ALL. People will bend over backwards and do ANYTHING for our Asst. managers, but when it comes to HIM... Respect goes a very long way, and this man has absolutelly no fucking clue what goes on in his Dept. He thinks he just knows EVERYTHING! Well he doesn't and we don't either, but we atleast know WTF is going on. He's constantly looking for the negative things, never apraising us for the good unless it's a general "hey, you guys are doing good, keep it up ok?" Never.. NEVER have I ONCE seen anyone go in his office for something possitive. You could be doing great, absolutelly wonderful for years, and then all of a sudden you start having financial problems, and family problems, you all of a sudden fuck up a few times in one month and before you know it, you're close to being fired because your mind isn't exactly in good health. Does he give a fuck? HELL NO. He will just give you your errors, tell you that you fucked up(no shit captain obvious!) have you sign it, and off you go to feel like a total god damn loser. Does he ask you, are you ok? Is there something wrong? Is there anything I can do to help? F U C K N O! Everyone else in my dept notices it, even my asst managers are like WTF man? Whats goin on are you alright?

Never late, great attendance (besides occurences for dealing with my wife's pregancy issues), almost 200% rate AT ALL TIMES, and never had a single accident. But I get two errors in one month and on the next one within the next 6 months and I'm fired?! FUCK YOU!!! I have a family to take care, a wife and two boys under 2 years of age. We are struggling enough with my wife being layed off, if I get fired from RA for some stupid shit like that I swear...
Gimmie A Break

Bakersfield, CA

#39 Oct 23, 2008
Well The Union had another one of those meetings during Lunch time again. This one is a joke! They are asking for us Rite Aid Emp. to sign a potion to get rid of the temps, part time Rite Aid emp. Desert Haven and the contractors so save there 40 hours a week! What makes the full time emp. Paycheck better then theres. Alot of these part time Emp. Voted Yes on this Union for there security and there vote was paid off by not having a job no more because full time needs there full pay. What kind of Union is this! I thought we were all 1 and we should all stand by and help each other. Why do you want to get rid of these people when there are no jobs out there for them to have. There has to be a better way then to just kick them out like that. I want a answer! Anyone has one for me and to all the others you want to put of work.
TONE

Camp Hill, PA

#40 Oct 24, 2008
If they get rid of desert haven that f'd up.
Gimmie A Break

Bakersfield, CA

#41 Oct 24, 2008
Yes Desert Haven!! Suck Doesn't it! These Kids work hard! They do a Fantastic Job! Unconditionally with out no complaints! We have alot Rite Aid Associate that are very Lazy and Cry every day. They can not do this. They can not do that. My arm hurts! My back hurts! My feet hurt. Not only they can not do it but WHY do have to do that! And why do i have to go there! Why do have do this! Is she going to! Why do i always have to go. This is suppose to be a job! This is mostly a Day Care Center! LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palmdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Storage Wars' controversy, Jeff Jarred and his... (Jun '12) 13 hr Mile High Flea 8
weather 18 hr squeezers 2
Keep a Word * Drop a Word Sun Pennie Lane 15
Organized Stalking Sponsored by Government (Apr '13) Feb 26 stalked562 25
I would like to run for Rosamond major Feb 20 AVPush3r 6
Living in Rosamond (Nov '08) Feb 20 AVPush3r 43
ULHS' new superintendent takes over (Aug '06) Feb 20 rekcahaiku 5

Palmdale News Video

Palmdale Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Palmdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:16 am PST