Opening of L.A. County's first roundabout celebrated

Full story: LA Daily News 58
A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held today for a roundabout in Palmdale that is the first of its kind built by Caltrans in Los Angeles County. Full Story
Seems obvious

La Crescenta, CA

#21 Jun 3, 2009
Give_me_a_break wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously not so uncommon, given the comments above
uncommon, adjective, out of the ordinary; unusual

nonexistent, adjective, not existing, or not real or present

Uncommon conveys a small quantity, meaning there are not many to be found in Southern California. Nonexistent would have meant no quantity. Compared to the east coast, and certainly Europe, roundabouts are uncommon in Southern California.
Give_me_a_break

Moorpark, CA

#22 Jun 3, 2009
does any one really care? I still don't see how this is newsworthy...geez! The comments are much more interesting than the story.
Seems obvious

La Crescenta, CA

#23 Jun 3, 2009
Give_me_a_break wrote:
does any one really care? I still don't see how this is newsworthy...geez! The comments are much more interesting than the story.
Those "uncommon" drivers who have a mortal fear of roundabouts probably do, as do taxpayers who have a mortal fear of potentially unnecessary projects. That would seem to be the point of a "news story", which is probably why they posted it in the first place. But as you say, you're more interested in the comments.
Poo

San Francisco, CA

#24 Jun 3, 2009
MADASHELL wrote:
YEAH IT'S A BEAUTY! TRUCKS ARE TO LONG TO USE IT, AND TRAFFIC IS SLOWED TO A CRAWL...WAY TO GO CALIF! ANOTHER 19 MILLION DOLLAR TAX-PAYER SCREW JOB...NO WONDER WE ARE BROKE.
Much of Europe has replaced them due to the type of limitations you are mentioning and the traffic jams they cause.
Buford Furrow

Buena Park, CA

#25 Jun 3, 2009
The traffic circle on Pacific Coast Highway in Long beach has been there for at least 30 years. Last time I was in Paris, France, there was no evidence the plethora of circles were being "removed" as they were extremely efficient, evem with trucks. You just have to have brains and know how to drive and they work better than signs or lights..
Tim

Calabasas, CA

#26 Jun 3, 2009
Apparently you have missed the massive traffic circle (i.e. roundabout) in Long Beach at Pacific Coast Highway (1), Lakewood Boulevard (19) and Los Coyotes Diagonal.

Traveling in Europe, Australia and New Zealand has demonstrated to me (a licensed professional Civil Engineer) that not only are traffic circles the best way to address intersections, in the long run it is the cheapest and most efficient means for the tax payer (as you take the corporate transportation monster and their traffic signals out of the equation).

All the driver needs to do is remember to yield to oncoming traffic (wait to enter the circle), then when inside aim to where you want to exit.
GSXR

Glendale, CA

#27 Jun 3, 2009
$19 Million?? For Real? Waste waste waste. I know i drug my knee on the one in LB a few times.
flying vee

Woodland Hills, CA

#28 Jun 3, 2009
hehe wrote:
Then who built the first ones?
The one in Venice is probably the oldest in LA County. I'd guess it was the Department of Public Works for the City of LA and I know it didn't cost 19 million. What a waste of our money...
stein511

Beverly Hills, CA

#29 Jun 3, 2009
and who cares?
Jim

Buena Park, CA

#30 Jun 4, 2009
Buford Furrow wrote:
The traffic circle on Pacific Coast Highway in Long beach has been there for at least 30 years. You just have to have brains and know how to drive and they work better than signs or lights..
I think that may be the problem...there are possibly a good number of drivers who don't know how to use a roundabout. Think of the unfortunate accidents that would occur. I know they happened at the Long Beach roundabout.
tcbuilder

Idyllwild, CA

#31 Jun 4, 2009
What an extreme waste of taxpayer dollars . The Street that this rounabout is on is not even a busy one.
Eric

Santa Fe Springs, CA

#32 Jun 4, 2009
I'm glad to see that we spent $19 million on an intersection that seemed to work just fine, before it was "upgraded". The roundabout is nice, but was totally unnecessary, especiially in the face of a state budget crisis.
Gerry

Ontario, CA

#33 Jun 4, 2009
"Opening of L.A. County's first roundabout celebrated"
geo

San Francisco, CA

#34 Jun 4, 2009
Tim wrote:
Apparently you have missed the massive traffic circle (i.e. roundabout) in Long Beach at Pacific Coast Highway (1), Lakewood Boulevard (19) and Los Coyotes Diagonal.
Traveling in Europe, Australia and New Zealand has demonstrated to me (a licensed professional Civil Engineer) that not only are traffic circles the best way to address intersections, in the long run it is the cheapest and most efficient means for the tax payer (as you take the corporate transportation monster and their traffic signals out of the equation).
All the driver needs to do is remember to yield to oncoming traffic (wait to enter the circle), then when inside aim to where you want to exit.
The 19 million cost is a big mystery. How could it cost so much?
Responsibility please

Los Angeles, CA

#35 Jun 4, 2009
hehe wrote:
Then who built the first ones?
Yer daddy?
Responsibility please

Los Angeles, CA

#36 Jun 4, 2009
Buford Furrow wrote:
The traffic circle on Pacific Coast Highway in Long beach has been there for at least 30 years. Last time I was in Paris, France, there was no evidence the plethora of circles were being "removed" as they were extremely efficient, evem with trucks. You just have to have brains and know how to drive and they work better than signs or lights..
The one on the Venice loop works fine, too.
Fred Hinckley

AOL

#37 Jun 4, 2009
This "round-a-bout" is a disaster! I bet there will be an accident every week there. They could have easily straightened out the streets and made a normal intersection. If this boondoggle cost $19 million, someone should be heading to jail. In a couple of years, they will be spending another $19 million to take it out. Watch the traffic circle scene in Chevy Chase's European Vacation movie. That is what these fools built.
Norman Moore

South El Monte, CA

#38 Jun 4, 2009
Where I grew up in Ohio almost every county seat had a traffic circle or town square downtown. Usually a monument or statue with all of the important buildings like the bank, city hall, main store, like Sears or Penneys arranged around it. Further West, in Iowa, I've seen them with the Court House in the center and the main businesses and all around on the sides. They are not like in the Chevy Chase movie because there are the stop signs to regulate entry from the side streets. Exiting can be a little dicey during peak traffic but if you miss you just go around again and make sure you are on the right when you get there. .
vince

Tacoma, WA

#39 Jun 5, 2009
there are several roundabouts in Pierce county WA, unfortunately many of the drivers here can't read english and think the RED YIELD signs are STOP signs and slow traffic anyway
D DeMello

AOL

#40 Jun 6, 2009
It is the biggest waste of money I've seen in a long time. What a dumb move the part of Palmdale. Why not just widen the street and put up signal lights..dumb dumb dumb How many traffic accidents so far..And i believe the traffic circle in Long Beach is also a roundabout and it is in L A county and it's been there since i was little.... what a waste of money

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palmdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Glendora teen still missing, police seek public... (Sep '09) 21 hr Glendora finists 82
Single women in the 93552? Hit me up Dec 23 Ajc 1
Who gives head at riteaid dc since Richie pycio... Dec 20 Truth 1
AV needs to get rid of ghetto "people"! (Oct '11) Dec 18 Bro_Love 180
Xhtmlchop Review Reputed Conversion Service Dec 14 Eureka 11
Review: Legacy Auto Sales Dec 13 Jimmy 4
Tippi Hedren's Big Cat Sanctuary Threatened By ... Dec 13 squeezers 5

Palmdale News Video

Palmdale Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Palmdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE