Opening of L.A. County's first rounda...

Opening of L.A. County's first roundabout celebrated

There are 58 comments on the LA Daily News story from Jun 3, 2009, titled Opening of L.A. County's first roundabout celebrated. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held today for a roundabout in Palmdale that is the first of its kind built by Caltrans in Los Angeles County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

West Hills, CA

#1 Jun 3, 2009
I came across a traffic circle in Simi Valley last month, what was ridiculous was that there was a stop sign before entering it, which means it did nothing to aid traffic flow.

Lets hope that poorly trained American drivers are up to the task of navigating this one, placing these in major intersections could do wonders for traffic if they work.
UGHHHH

United States

#2 Jun 3, 2009
where is the picture of the round about?
Give_me_a_break

Van Nuys, CA

#3 Jun 3, 2009
Why is this news? Roundabouts or traffic circles are common throughout the U.S., particularly in the Northeast. They aren't limited to Europe as the article seems to imply..what a waste of valuable news real estate!
err

Long Beach, CA

#4 Jun 3, 2009
There is a roundabout in Long Beach and as far as I know, it's in LA County. Is there something I missing?
Look Again

Waimanalo, HI

#5 Jun 3, 2009
There is one in Long Beach that has been there for years and one in Castaic.
ChrisG

Orange Park, FL

#6 Jun 3, 2009
What about the roundabout in Castaic at the Old Rd/Hasley Cyn intersection? At first it was a nightmare, but now that people have gotten the hang of it, it seems to work great.
anon

Colorado Springs, CO

#7 Jun 3, 2009
Roundabouts are great, as long as everyone follows the rules. But why 19 mil?? A roundabout shouldn't cost that much!!!
ROB

Long Beach, CA

#8 Jun 3, 2009
I LIVE IN PALMDALE A THIS THING WAS A BIG WASTE OF MONEY.
Buford Furrow

Cypress, CA

#9 Jun 3, 2009
There are several new ones built in Pasadena over the last few years that work quite well.
SLB

United States

#10 Jun 3, 2009
There are at least two roundabouts in L.A. that I know of, which have been there for years ... one in Venice and a smaller one in West L.A. Yes, they're great ... but this is not the first.
Seems obvious

United States

#11 Jun 3, 2009
Give_me_a_break wrote:
Why is this news?
Perhaps because roundabouts are uncommon in Southern California.
XK10H

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Jun 3, 2009
they should make the entire town of Palmdale a roundabout..if the big one ever dose hit it would cause a billion dollars worth of improvements to Palmdale and Lancaster..
MADASHELL

Palmdale, CA

#13 Jun 3, 2009
YEAH IT'S A BEAUTY! TRUCKS ARE TO LONG TO USE IT, AND TRAFFIC IS SLOWED TO A CRAWL...WAY TO GO CALIF! ANOTHER 19 MILLION DOLLAR TAX-PAYER SCREW JOB...NO WONDER WE ARE BROKE.
Lance Morris

Covina, CA

#14 Jun 3, 2009
Um, L.A. County's _first_ roundabout? How about PCH, Lakewood, and Los Coyotes in Long Beach?
Bill Townsend

Van Nuys, CA

#15 Jun 3, 2009
Finally! This makes sense from a number of perspectives:

1) Cheaper than a traffic light system that is expensive to install and maintain
2) Greener - lower carbon foorprint as not as much refined metal and saves gas for consumers
3) Cheaper for consumers who will not waste gas
4) Consumers will get places faster improving productivity

Lets see if we can get these widely adopted!
Burbank citizen

Whittier, CA

#16 Jun 3, 2009
I know for a fact there are a couple in Burbank. Last time I Burbank was in LA county
woot

Arcadia, CA

#17 Jun 3, 2009
Here is a link to the CA Dept. of Transportation showing pictures and instructions on how to drive in a roundabout! Let the good times roll!

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/travel/projects/...
Give_me_a_break

Van Nuys, CA

#18 Jun 3, 2009
Seems obvious wrote:
<quoted text> Perhaps because roundabouts are uncommon in Southern California.
Obviously not so uncommon, given the comments above
Responsibility please

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Jun 3, 2009
As much as we all like to beat-up on the D.N., the article said it was the first roundabout BUILT BY CALTRANS in L.A. county. Is it possible the others were built by the cities or municipalities, and not CalTrans.

I don't know for sure,...just tryin' to be fair.
hehe

Long Beach, CA

#20 Jun 3, 2009
Then who built the first ones?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palmdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keep a Word * Drop a Word (Jan '15) Jan 11 75 Scorpio 501
News The children of illegal aliens (anchor babies) ... (Jan '10) Jan 8 Now_What- 7,051
Support U.s Artist Emcee D Unknoen Now Jan 7 Gale Strassberg r... 2
Stacy Barker and Brendon Borrelli (Jun '11) Jan 5 JailBrendan 6
Palmdale Founders Day Celebration Jan 5 Tony 9
beautiful pit is going to be put down needs hom... (Mar '12) Dec 31 Red Cloud 8
Organized Stalking Sponsored by Government (Apr '13) Dec 23 mayhem34245 39

Palmdale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Palmdale Mortgages