California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chain Store Age

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Comments
4,141 - 4,160 of 4,885 Comments Last updated Monday Jul 21
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Ronald.
As a Ronald wannabe from Long Beach, please answer us this. We note this morning you have been going bonkers on the Homosexual thread. Have you been "medicating" on illegal substances revolutionary Council attempted to "legalize" through the back-door "regulatory" route, or are you taking your usual dangerous drugs that were prescribed you by your Government "doctor"?
Ronald
Ronald.

As a Ronald wannabe, you need to work on your material.

Ronald.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Bowser wrote:
<quoted text>
Ronald.
As a Ronald wannabe, you need to work on your material.
Ronald.
Bowser.

You know as well as I that the real Ronald from Long Beach does not respond to inane disruptive remarks made by the taxpayer supported schizophrenic from Azusa/Covina.

Ronald
Aggravated in Glenhaven

Kelseyville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

They are not called "lawmakers" for no reason. All they do is pass more laws, about 800 to 900 every year! Plastic bags is a great convenience to all of us. We use them and reuse them. So who cares if they remain in the landfill for a hundred years? Like plastic bags is the only plastic that ends up in the landfill? What needs to be focused on are the slobs in this country who show no respect for the place where we all live. It's not only plastic bags that get strewn on the beaches and along our roadways. Our roadways resemble endless garbage dumps. Slobs are responsible for the mess we are in. Banning plastic bags in certain stores will accomplish nothing regarding the over-all attitudes of slobs who just don't give a damn. These same slobs help elect the dumb stupid "lawmakers" who have no concept of common sense and logic.
Surran wrap

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Doggie booster are the greats fro picking up their loafs.
Surran wrap

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Doggie bunster are the greats for picking up their loafs.
faturism

Atascadero, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Rose wrote:
Now that I read the posts made by con dumbs, I'm in favor of it. Why don't con dumbs care about the environment? Why do they always whine, "PC"?
You only believe that conservatives don't care about the environment because you heard some lib say so. They call names and use junk science because they know there are plenty of low-info bots out there who live by ideology instead of facts. This isn't about the environment, never was. The plastic bags are biodegradable and are used more than once (trash can liners, dog waste bags, etc)so please refrain from using the usual liberal tactic of name calling and do some research
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

faturism wrote:
<quoted text>
You only believe that conservatives don't care about the environment because you heard some lib say so. They call names and use junk science because they know there are plenty of low-info bots out there who live by ideology instead of facts. This isn't about the environment, never was. The plastic bags are biodegradable and are used more than once (trash can liners, dog waste bags, etc)so please refrain from using the usual liberal tactic of name calling and do some research
A good point: In the past, I used plastic grocery bags as trashcan liners and for picking up after the dog. Now I have to buy plastic bags. The same quantity of plastic bags is being used (by me).
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Aggravated in Glenhaven wrote:
They are not called "lawmakers" for no reason. All they do is pass more laws, about 800 to 900 every year! Plastic bags is a great convenience to all of us. We use them and reuse them. So who cares if they remain in the landfill for a hundred years? Like plastic bags is the only plastic that ends up in the landfill? What needs to be focused on are the slobs in this country who show no respect for the place where we all live. It's not only plastic bags that get strewn on the beaches and along our roadways. Our roadways resemble endless garbage dumps. Slobs are responsible for the mess we are in. Banning plastic bags in certain stores will accomplish nothing regarding the over-all attitudes of slobs who just don't give a damn. These same slobs help elect the dumb stupid "lawmakers" who have no concept of common sense and logic.
I agree with many of your points. Do you have ideas on how to make progress on cleaning things up? Here in Long Beach we have volunteer "beach clean-up" days where a group of volunteers gets together to pick up trash off the beach and dispose of it. Sad that it's necessary to do this because people should just use the trash cans to begin with. But if there's a problem, we need to all be part of the solution. I agree we have many government idiots who keep getting re-elected, but they cannot solve the litter problem. We all need to work together to make things better.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Bowser wrote:
<quoted text>
A good point: In the past, I used plastic grocery bags as trashcan liners and for picking up after the dog. Now I have to buy plastic bags. The same quantity of plastic bags is being used (by me).
Bowser.

The Lowenthal grocery bag harassment tax is a tax and control measure devised by the extremist revolutionary ruling class to satisfy their addiction to power and ever greater amounts of hard earned taxpayer money. Lowenthal harassment taxes have nothing to do with "saving the environment". Unfortunately, like all true addictions, the "fix" is only temporary. The "fix" itself leads to even greater need.

Ronald
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Bowser.
The Lowenthal grocery bag harassment tax is a tax and control measure devised by the extremist revolutionary ruling class to satisfy their addiction to power and ever greater amounts of hard earned taxpayer money. Lowenthal harassment taxes have nothing to do with "saving the environment". Unfortunately, like all true addictions, the "fix" is only temporary. The "fix" itself leads to even greater need.
Ronald
Correct.

Bowser

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Bowser wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with many of your points. Do you have ideas on how to make progress on cleaning things up? Here in Long Beach we have volunteer "beach clean-up" days where a group of volunteers gets together to pick up trash off the beach and dispose of it. Sad that it's necessary to do this because people should just use the trash cans to begin with. But if there's a problem, we need to all be part of the solution. I agree we have many government idiots who keep getting re-elected, but they cannot solve the litter problem. We all need to work together to make things better.
Litter police, I think you would be great at it, it would keep you off the internet trolling for responses. Maybe you could find a bf to marry.

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Bowser wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
Bowser
Why are you impersonating Ronald's dog?
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

The irony of me having to now purchase plastic bags for trash can liners and picking up dog poo is that, even though the number of plastic bags used remains the same, there is a net detrimental environmental impact. The bags I now buy are manufactured, used once (trash, dog poo) instead of twice in the case of grocery bags. Not to mention the plastic is different (usually thicker than the grocery bags), thereby consuming more natural resources to manufacture. I wonder how the environmentalists rationalize that?
Prof Floggem

Sonoma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

There is no need for such a disdainful tone. We have secured secret compound THX 1138bBy-0*6. This compound, when topically applied to the nether regions of plastic bag composting site workers results in a much more positive response to otherwise incomprehensible directions from the plant bosses. The workers become somewhat aroused and apparently do run around screaming while crotch grabbing and whining and jumping from one foot to the other. This slight behavioral wander is acceptable in light of the fact that they produce documents of their work product (bagas composted, recycled, sniffed)which can be changed according to the profile the plant wants to display. This means we can in a real sense throw the bags out the window and order plenty more from Chow Fun Prison in China. Don't worry, be happy.
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Prof Floggem wrote:
There is no need for such a disdainful tone. We have secured secret compound THX 1138bBy-0*6. This compound, when topically applied to the nether regions of plastic bag composting site workers results in a much more positive response to otherwise incomprehensible directions from the plant bosses. The workers become somewhat aroused and apparently do run around screaming while crotch grabbing and whining and jumping from one foot to the other. This slight behavioral wander is acceptable in light of the fact that they produce documents of their work product (bagas composted, recycled, sniffed)which can be changed according to the profile the plant wants to display. This means we can in a real sense throw the bags out the window and order plenty more from Chow Fun Prison in China. Don't worry, be happy.
LOL. Oh my.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Bowser wrote:
The irony of me having to now purchase plastic bags for trash can liners and picking up dog poo is that, even though the number of plastic bags used remains the same, there is a net detrimental environmental impact. The bags I now buy are manufactured, used once (trash, dog poo) instead of twice in the case of grocery bags. Not to mention the plastic is different (usually thicker than the grocery bags), thereby consuming more natural resources to manufacture. I wonder how the environmentalists rationalize that?
Bowser.

Don't worry. The revolutionary ruling class will eventually get around to banning everything.**(for the rest of us)** Even controlling the entire taxpayer funded machinery of Big Government they can't do everything at once. As a practical matter, the revolutionary occupiers **(now in power)** must lay the foundation of division in order to divide the taxpayers one from another so that unified mass resistance does not occur.

Ronald
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Bowser.
Don't worry. The revolutionary ruling class will eventually get around to banning everything.**(for the rest of us)** Even controlling the entire taxpayer funded machinery of Big Government they can't do everything at once. As a practical matter, the revolutionary occupiers **(now in power)** must lay the foundation of division in order to divide the taxpayers one from another so that unified mass resistance does not occur.
Ronald
Not if we vote them out.
Lush Bimbawe IV

Sonoma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

Prof Flogem:
You should not have reported this and you will be visted by the NSA for doing this whistleblowing. That is all.
Hong Kong?
Green an Black

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

Where was the water dropping and air to ground spotters, air support for the 19 who fell June 30, 2013 in AZ.?

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

Green an Black wrote:
Where was the water dropping and air to ground spotters, air support for the 19 who fell June 30, 2013 in AZ.?
They just died, do we have to question their deaths so soon? How about the Seals killed in 2011 Afghanistan, nobody is asking how the information was leaked.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Palm Springs Discussions

Search the Palm Springs Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 34 min anti-cop 15,912
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr Barbi 200,327
Review: Rich's Painting 22 hr Spectacular job 1
desert hot springs, ca. unkept yards Wed Alice 2
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Wed Ocean 7,835
Costco readies for new opening (Dec '06) Wed AMan 149
Tony Casas, 77; Former Prisons Official Worked ... (Sep '07) Wed Shellys Husband is Strong 635
•••

Excessive Heat Warning for Riverside County was issued at July 24 at 2:02PM PDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Palm Springs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Palm Springs People Search