Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,938)

Showing posts 178,741 - 178,760 of199,077
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
That didn't make a bit of sense.
And you can't deny that under the laws of this land, the courts have indeed long ruled that marriage is a right, not a privilege. A basic civil and human right.
Your opinions really don't matter that much, and gay Californians are still marrying, staying married, and setting wedding dates.
Learn to live with it.
You really aren't confused, you lied.

That is why you went on to mount a defense. Moreover, it really isn't a difficult distinction to understand for an adult.

Here is where it settles; You claim the title marriage for a distinct relationship that on the surface and with any measure of comparison is clearly distinct.

You have a piece of legally manipulated paper, we have the distinctions of reality.

Live with it if you can.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't read Frankie's posts, Laughing Man's posts, or ....the other dude in months.
Scroll right on past them, they're just being ass-trolls.
Too busy with half a marriage?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

guest wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one living a lie. And you know exactly what I mean.
Smile Greg.
Ah, no.

But I'm sure you'll attempt to tell us.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
Well, it would appear that Minnesota and Rhode Island are to be counted as states that now allow same-gender marriage.
If you include Washington DC in the list of areas where same-gender couples can marry, the figure is 15 states. That represents 30 percent of the states in the US.
If you don't count D.C., that still means that 28 percent of the states in the US offer same-sex marriage.
Congratulations to Minnesota and Rhode Island!!
How many states need to sign on before a mutually sterile, duplicated half of a marriage becomes real?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a question that I ask in all seriousness. I would send the question to you in private, but I don't think that you have your account set up to receive private messages.
Here's the question... How do you reconcile war in which people kill one another and Christ's very clear commandment to love your neighbor as you love yourself?
Those seem like opposite ends of the spectrum to me.
Did you actually kill people in Vietnam?
I'm just curious.
I think my account is set up for private messages, so you don't have to answer here.
And as God as my witness, I WILL NOT share your response, ever.
You missed the first and greatest commandment.

When violated, death in all it's forms exists;

Genesis 2:16-17 (NJB)
16 Then Yahweh God gave the man this command,‘You are free to eat of all the trees in the garden.
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you are not to eat; for, the day you eat of that, you are doomed to die.'

Psalm 72 is a powerful and interesting prophecy of the promised reign of Christ.

Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will on Earth
Psalm 72 is a Psalm for our time.

The prayer of a father for his son's reign.
And at the same time, the heart of God for the Messianic King of kings.

A justice where the greatest looks out for the least.

A justice so perfect, so encompassing
that even the earth responds with unrestrained fruitfulness.

A justice so contagious, so powerful,
it overpowers all enemies without weapons of war.

A justice so amazing it unites all mankind in perfect peace.

His Kingdom comes.
His will on earth as it is in heaven.

Let our voices pray so,
And our hearts long for.
laughing man

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

Mash those smilies, shitferbrains.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You call mating behavior and historical cross cultural and religious customs 'common practice'? Yes. However, most common practices are not opinion. They are exactly such because they are true.
I keep asking if you read what you write, you really should. I think you'd laugh too.
LOL
<quoted text>
You claimed that common practice was only an opinion. I proved you wrong.
Now you attempt to note some poor exceptions that avoid admitting you made a stupid claim.
~Slavery is more of a common practice now than ever.
~ss sex for hire is far more a common practice than ss couple fidelity.
~Injustice is the human direction. Not only is the Middle East in uproar, our nation is more divided than ever and likely on the verge of anarchy.
I made no claim that 'this is the way we always did it.'
I did note that the recognition of homosexuality being a defect has been historical cross culturally. Science is on the verge of understanding why.
I did note that marriage has been a distinct relationship across time, cultures and religions.
Your claim that they are changeable is like claiming our practice of drinking water is changeable. Silly stupid.
Queen, we are not even on the same path.
Yeah, you can say that again... We're nowhere near the same path.

--Prove your comment that same-sex prostitution is more common than same-sex fidelity. I'd love to see the research.

--Prove that homosexuality has been a "defect" cross culturally. You insinuate that this has always been the case.

--Prove that science is on the verge of explaining how homosexuality is a "defect". Keep in mind that a natural process that might explain homosexuality is not inherently a "defect".

--I don't deny that marriage has been with us for quite some time. But as I explained to you earlier, legal marriage is around 4,000 years old.
Mankind has been around for about 200,000 years. So, marriage has only been around for a short time compared to the existence of modern mankind.
Bottom line, marriage isn't as old as you like to claim it is. In the cosmic scheme of things, it's a drop in the bucket of human history.

--You try to compare "common practice" to "biological need". A person can exist without marriage. A person cannot exist without water. Therefore marriage is a "common practice".

Waiting for your proof...

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
16 Then Yahweh God gave the man this command,‘You are free to eat of all the trees in the garden.
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you are not to eat; for, the day you eat of that, you are doomed to die.'
Psalm 72 is a powerful and interesting prophecy of the promised reign of Christ.
Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will on Earth
Psalm 72 is a Psalm for our time.
The prayer of a father for his son's reign.
And at the same time, the heart of God for the Messianic King of kings.
A justice where the greatest looks out for the least.
A justice so perfect, so encompassing
that even the earth responds with unrestrained fruitfulness.
A justice so contagious, so powerful,
it overpowers all enemies without weapons of war.
A justice so amazing it unites all mankind in perfect peace.
His Kingdom comes.
His will on earth as it is in heaven.
Let our voices pray so,
And our hearts long for.
1.) I didn't ask you this question. It was directly asked of Frankie.

2.) Your comments--including the opinion piece that you lift directly from your personal blog--does not explain how it is that Christians are given a green-light to engage in war.

3.) I am curious about how Frankie, personally, deals with this issue. I'm not interested in your beliefs; unless of course you are a veteran of war.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
1. No, the word homosexual did not exist at that time. Moreover, ss orientation was described differently then.
Matt 19 is a perfect example of the exact same incident where Jesus describes three types of eunuchs. One being 'born that way.'
2. The subject of the discussion is marriage. In that context Jesus describes the couple as male and female, and only male and female.
He does not address ss couples, because they don't qualify for marriage. Moreover, the cultural context deems ss sexual relationships as an extreme abomination.
3. The Bible IS a moral rule book. What an idiotic denial.
Moreover, you use the Bible to know about a personal relationship, but then turn around and deny everything else it says. Simply selective stupidity.
--How stupid... Paul had access to words that describe homosexuality ( http://www.gaychristian101.com/what-words-cou... ). Christ could have used any of these words. He did not.

--Christ says "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife..."
Again, there were words for "marriage". Why doesn't Christ use these words? Being "united" does not necessarily mean "married".
As I have pointed out before, a couple can join themselves together in the eyes of God, in the eyes of the church, but not in the eyes of the government.
These are very clear distinctions.

--The Books of the Bible are a beginning, not an end. They are a starting point, not an all encompassing go-to rule book. Regarding my notion of a personal relationship with God, I think I knew about that long before I read or heard about it. Namely, I was taught to pray long before I was able to read. Joining with God in prayer is not the same as reading the Books of the Bible in order to understand the "rules" for living a Christian life.
There have been (and still are) people who are unable to read. They cannot go to the Books in order to see exactly what is written and the context in which the words were written. I submit that they rely more on their relationship with God and not so much on the Books of the Bible.
If you personally want to be a literalist, that's up to you. That's not my perspective.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
How many states need to sign on before a mutually sterile, duplicated half of a marriage becomes real?
There are people unable to have children ( sterile ) already married in every state, recognized in every state.

How many times do we need to keep telling you this, I know some folks have learning disabilities but yours is phenomenal

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Feb 13

Is A Reality

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
None. My marriage is as real as yours already.
laughing man

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

Rage filled hairdressers 12 o'clock high!
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
None. My marriage is as real as yours already.
Yes it is, and I noticed that your same sex marriage did not seem to hurt my heterosexual marriage in any way at all.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is, and I noticed that your same sex marriage did not seem to hurt my heterosexual marriage in any way at all.
Funny how that works. And all of my straight friends say the same thing.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Feb 13

Is A Reality

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
That can't be possible! Are you quite certain that your marriage license didn't spontaneously erupt into flames? ;-)
Ah Shut

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

August 01, 2013..

Ah Shut Up.

It's done and it's over with, so back off and get a life.

Gay couples can now wed in Minnesota, Rhode Island legalize same-sex marriage.

Neither side will convince the other of their beliefs or views on this subject.
Mikey

Chatsworth, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
What hateful ignorant bigotry!!!
Yet another funny hypocritical remark! Boy you're on a role, too bad you refuse to see the irony, I guess that comes from denial...'smirk'
Mikey

Chatsworth, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

laughing man wrote:
Rage filled hairdressers 12 o'clock high!
bigoted moron 3 o'clock left!
Mikey

Chatsworth, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Too obvious...last ditch attempt, throw in the Jeezus card, then when that doesn't work, it's all about 'the children'..pathetic.
laughing man

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

Stain Tard 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
bigoted moron 3 o'clock left!
Wow! Like, you're on, like, a "role", Stain Boi.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 178,741 - 178,760 of199,077
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Palm Springs Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Palm Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance