Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
175,141 - 175,160 of 200,358 Comments Last updated 6 hrs ago
commonpeeps

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Bruno wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO ... sure you are blondie
Ease up dude, her v.j. and b.h. are still throbbing from work.

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

commonpeeps wrote:
Gotta love it! Recent (new)laws will never change the decent morality of any society. Society dictates morality, laws do not. The law of god, nature, human integrity,evolution what ever does NOT include homosexual behavior as normal. Look up the definition- someone who prefers sex with one of the same gender. Nothing more than having a good f.
fail.

“Let the games begin. . .”

Since: Jun 13

Botany Bay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Fearless Contrarian wrote:
<quoted text>
That's great information but how does it negate my argument that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. would probably not have supported a form of marriage that violates God’s will?
The only thing that you managed to prove, at least to me, is that Coretta Scott King decided to abandon her Christian roots and adopt a moral relativist position, which Dr. Martin Luther King "could never accept."
Let's remember that Martin Luther King, Jr. was a devout American Baptist minister. According to the official website of the Southern Baptist Convention, which is the world's largest Baptist denomination with 16 million members as of 2012: "We affirm God's plan for marriage and sexual intimacy – one man, and one woman, for life. Homosexuality is not a ‘valid alternative lifestyle.’ The Bible condemns it as sin. It is not, however, unforgivable sin. The same redemption available to all sinners is available to homosexuals. They, too, may become new creations in Christ." Source: < http://www.sbc.net/aboutus/pssexuality.asp> ; ;
The fact that Dr. King was a Baptist minister, and American Baptists do not officially support same-sex marriage, provides compelling reason to believe this American hero would not have supported non-traditional marriage.
Furthermore in 2009, the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, which was founded and lead by Dr. King from 1957 to 1968, threatened to fire the former president of its Los Angeles division, Rev. Eric P. Lee, for advocating against California Proposition 8. Source:Steinhauer, New York Times July 10, 2009 < http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/11/us/11gay.ht ... ;
That action reveals SCLC’s stance on same-sex marriage.
Personally, I don't think Coretta King could have persuaded Dr. King to go against God's will because he was far too wise, morally convicted, and honorable.
There's no doubt Martin Luther King was a great man. We even have wall murals in tribute to him, here in Australia.

The fact that he was a preacher, probably taught him to be a great speaker later.

However, you can't say what him or any other historic figure would have said or done. They lived in a different time to us.
Rock Hudson

Barberton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Reverend Bedwetter wrote:
<quoted text>
Ich habe verunreinigte mein Höschen. Ich werde Sie an die richtigen Stellen zu berichten!
Ich meinte, dass 'Sie ihm erzählen', und 'kicken seinen Esel. meine Entschuldigungen.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
He has no life outside Topix discussions. He'll do anything to get some attention.
Yes, I reached the same conclusion. Sad really.
Fearless Contrarian

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
You nailed it, there...
Thanks Rock Hudson- I should have also mentioned that while primal instincts play a strong role in guiding or regulating behavior, humans are not completely govern by them. Since complex psychological factors play an equally influential role in driving behavior, people can and often do go against their innate impulses or inhibitions. Those that do behave contrary to their evolutionary instincts and deviate from nature’s imperative are an extreme minority. If deviant sexual preferences were to be normalized through socialization, the genetic progression and continuity of the human race would be threatened. Thus to preserve the propagation, diversity, and health of future generations, society should be very cautious to promote anti-evolutionary sexual behavior (e.g. homosexuality) as a normal alternative lifestyle to heterosexuality.

Have a good weekend!
Kinda

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Kinda folksiest don't ya think
Ivan Boutnikoff

Sonoma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

I don't get it, you don't get it...this is all a distraction from the facts. THEY are here. The Morons from Outer Space are running the country and succeeding in making the country a one-horse hate filled theocracy. The Reichspublicans, as the otherposter so aptly named them, will succeed in stopping ALL social programs and closing medicare, retirement of any kind, social security, borders, hospitals, libraries, theatres, schools and colleges and lunch rooms for starving babies. They will then reopen these venues as a for profit shops, with all profits going to underwrite wars in sandy places that nobody cares about except the Morons from Outer Space.
THEY ARE HERE!
Mikey

Chatsworth, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Fearless Contrarian wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Rock Hudson- I should have also mentioned that while primal instincts play a strong role in guiding or regulating behavior, humans are not completely govern by them. Since complex psychological factors play an equally influential role in driving behavior, people can and often do go against their innate impulses or inhibitions. Those that do behave contrary to their evolutionary instincts and deviate from nature’s imperative are an extreme minority. If deviant sexual preferences were to be normalized through socialization, the genetic progression and continuity of the human race would be threatened. Thus to preserve the propagation, diversity, and health of future generations, society should be very cautious to promote anti-evolutionary sexual behavior (e.g. homosexuality) as a normal alternative lifestyle to heterosexuality.
Have a good weekend!
All Bigoted Gobbledygook...Your 'explanation' seems to ignore the fact that homosexuality has been documented to naturally occur in over a 1000 species. What IS unnatural is promotion of bigotry, something you seem to be doing quite well. You might want to consider natures ability to counter the effects of overpopulation, but obviously that concept escapes you.
Mikey

Chatsworth, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Ivan Boutnikoff wrote:
I don't get it, you don't get it...this is all a distraction from the facts. THEY are here. The Morons from Outer Space are running the country and succeeding in making the country a one-horse hate filled theocracy. The Reichspublicans, as the otherposter so aptly named them, will succeed in stopping ALL social programs and closing medicare, retirement of any kind, social security, borders, hospitals, libraries, theatres, schools and colleges and lunch rooms for starving babies. They will then reopen these venues as a for profit shops, with all profits going to underwrite wars in sandy places that nobody cares about except the Morons from Outer Space.
THEY ARE HERE!
That's exactly why you need to become more politically active and vote.
mom at hooooome

Sonoma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

that is no good as they own the whole thing what counts the votes and it counts just what they want. in my town there is 42,000 reg voters and always 47,825 vote for the platform they alone set up. just tell them you believe in god and war and no taxes for the rich and you wont be too bothered.
Jetsons

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Only if your name is JACK and your last name is ASTRO.
JohnnyO

Foster City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
That's exactly why you need to become more politically active and vote.
VOTE? Didn't we vote for prop 8 twice? LOL What a "F"ing Joke.
I say if man can marry man. Then I want to be able to marry my neighbors 14 year old daughter. We Love each other. So That should be enough. Who cares what you think. No need to vote. Just have a judge make it happen.
SandStone

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

July 2013

Watching House Republicans in action brings to mind the joke Woody Allen used, about two elderly women at a up state resort.

Boy, the food at this place is really terrible.

Yeah, says the other, And such small portions.

Meaning the Republicans are terrible and they give the American public such small returns for supporting them.

The Republican, GOP, RNC and Tea Party need to be put to be and never to be returned to the political floor of any government body in the USA.

We can replace four bad political bodies with one new one, we will call it rock.

July 2013
Mikey

Chatsworth, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

JohnnyO wrote:
<quoted text>
VOTE? Didn't we vote for prop 8 twice? LOL What a "F"ing Joke.
I say if man can marry man. Then I want to be able to marry my neighbors 14 year old daughter. We Love each other. So That should be enough. Who cares what you think. No need to vote. Just have a judge make it happen.
a good example that it's questionable if self absorbed idiot is even capable of voting for the common good.
Damage

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

July 2013

Dougie of he Glendora, California city council maybe suffering from this?

http://www.activebeat.com/your-health/10-tell...
Frankie Rizzo

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Sparkle_is_stripper wrote:
<quoted text>why is this so hard for you to get..
You said hard.

I like it. I like it hard. Don't tell the others.
Achtung Brucie

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Ich meinte, dass 'Sie ihm erzählen', und 'kicken seinen Esel. meine Entschuldigungen.
Ich verstand.

Ich frage mich, ob sie klug genug zu erkennen, sie ist sogar noch schlimmer sind verspottet bist?
Frankie Rizzo

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

I once had a lover named Bruno.
He hailed from a place called Juneau.
He kept buying me drinks.
And telling me 'bout his kinks.
So I bedded him down and well...you know!
just wondering

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Sparkle_is_stripper wrote:
<quoted text>be careful wishing for civil rights to be up for a vote... cause the next vote might just be to take one of yours
You mean, as in the way activist judges and SCROTUS (pardon the redundancy) threw out the votes of Prop 8 twice?

Are you gloating at those Communist actions, by the way?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Palm Springs Discussions

Search the Palm Springs Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
desert hot springs, ca. unkept yards 2 hr Rayan 4
Tony Casas, 77; Former Prisons Official Worked ... (Sep '07) 14 hr Nose Jobs 641
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 19 hr Fly right 4,893
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Mon snodder 2,252
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Jul 27 Twilight sun 7,848
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Jul 27 Facts facts 15,927
Review: Rich's Painting Jul 23 Spectacular job 1
•••

Excessive Heat Warning for Riverside County was issued at July 30 at 12:00PM PDT

•••
•••
•••
Palm Springs Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Palm Springs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••