Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,189

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#192058 May 13, 2013
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story...

But as the push for gay rights found new force, so did a corresponding backlash from anti-gay opponents who came from out of state to grab a piece of the media spotlight.

Tensions were so high that Shepard's father wore a bulletproof vest under his suit when he spoke at his son's funeral service.

"The saddest part of this whole case was at Matthew's funeral, when they, these people, refused to let Matthew be buried with dignity," said Rerucha. "I never saw people that could hate so much."

Killers Both Receive Two Consecutive Life Sentences

Local residents Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson, both 21 at the time, were charged with Shepard's murder. Henderson's case came before the court first. To avoid the possibility of receiving the death penalty, he pleaded guilty to murder and kidnapping and received two consecutive life terms in prison.

McKinney's case went to trial a year after Shepard's death. He was convicted of felony murder, aggravated robbery and kidnapping. Before the jury was about to decide his sentence, he, too, reached a deal that allowed him to avoid a possible death penalty. Both men are serving double life sentences in prison.

Authorities asked "20/20" not to disclose the prison location.

While McKinney and Henderson admit to killing Shepard, both men -- and the man who prosecuted the case -- now say the real story is not what it seemed.

Many area residents were shocked that the crime was committed by two young men from their community. But both McKinney and Henderson came from classically troubled backgrounds.

Henderson was born to a teenage alcoholic and raised without a father. He says he saw his mother being beaten up by a series of boyfriends, some of whom also assaulted Henderson.

McKinney's childhood, too, was less than picture-perfect. His father, a long-haul trucker, was rarely home and eventually divorced McKinney's mother, a nurse who later died as a result of a botched surgery. McKinney received a malpractice settlement of nearly $100,000 after his mother's death. He says he spent most of that money on things like cars and drugs.

McKinney admits to Vargas that by the time he was 18 he had a serious methamphetamine habit.
NRC fools

Covina, CA

#192059 May 13, 2013
N.Y. One of two reactors at the Indian Point nuclear plant north of New York City will soon be operating with an expired license.

What else will happen with the NRC, need to fire them all.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#192060 May 13, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
So who will u allow to tell you what is moral or immoral?
Big D will tell those people who tell other people how to live how to live. Priceless!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#192061 May 13, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
So who will u allow to tell you what is moral or immoral?
Big D will decide that for us.
FR goony

Covina, CA

#192062 May 13, 2013
FR is nothing more than a cheap goony.
What matters

Covina, CA

#192064 May 13, 2013
The legislation, Assembly Bill 188, by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, had support from school disticts and California tax payer groups.

This action would close a loophole that has deprived schools and local governments of much-needed revenue, but was (of course) opposed by business and the (communist chapter) California Chamber of Commerce.
The count taken

Covina, CA

#192065 May 13, 2013
Minnesota Senate passes same-sex marriage bill, May 2013

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#192066 May 13, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story? id=277685
But as the push for gay rights found new force, so did a corresponding backlash from anti-gay opponents who came from out of state to grab a piece of the media spotlight.
Tensions were so high that Shepard's father wore a bulletproof vest under his suit when he spoke at his son's funeral service.
"The saddest part of this whole case was at Matthew's funeral, when they, these people, refused to let Matthew be buried with dignity," said Rerucha. "I never saw people that could hate so much."
Killers Both Receive Two Consecutive Life Sentences
Local residents Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson, both 21 at the time, were charged with Shepard's murder. Henderson's case came before the court first. To avoid the possibility of receiving the death penalty, he pleaded guilty to murder and kidnapping and received two consecutive life terms in prison.
McKinney's case went to trial a year after Shepard's death. He was convicted of felony murder, aggravated robbery and kidnapping. Before the jury was about to decide his sentence, he, too, reached a deal that allowed him to avoid a possible death penalty. Both men are serving double life sentences in prison.
Authorities asked "20/20" not to disclose the prison location.
While McKinney and Henderson admit to killing Shepard, both men -- and the man who prosecuted the case -- now say the real story is not what it seemed.
Many area residents were shocked that the crime was committed by two young men from their community. But both McKinney and Henderson came from classically troubled backgrounds.
Henderson was born to a teenage alcoholic and raised without a father. He says he saw his mother being beaten up by a series of boyfriends, some of whom also assaulted Henderson.
McKinney's childhood, too, was less than picture-perfect. His father, a long-haul trucker, was rarely home and eventually divorced McKinney's mother, a nurse who later died as a result of a botched surgery. McKinney received a malpractice settlement of nearly $100,000 after his mother's death. He says he spent most of that money on things like cars and drugs.
McKinney admits to Vargas that by the time he was 18 he had a serious methamphetamine habit.
So what are you implying? Do you think that gay hate crimes never occur?

Maybe I was dreaming that time that a group of thugs surrounded my partner and I at a local swimming hole--calling us "fags" and telling us that we'd better get the fuck out of the river.

See, I had the audacity to carry his inner-tube up the river for him while we were out tubing on the river. It's not like we were walking hand-in-hand, kissing, or anything. But we weren't in hiding either. I was just being a gentleman to my partner.

It was our first get-away as a couple. We'd gone up the night before and planned on staying the weekend at a nice hotel. But the experience ruined our trip. We packed up and left that afternoon.

That was about 23 years ago. I've grown a lot since. I won't back down if someone threatens me. It kind of helps that I'm bigger than almost everybody.

Nevertheless, hate crimes do occur. Don't kid yourself for one minute.

Since: Jan 10

Lewis Center, OH

#192068 May 13, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I was dreaming that time that a group of thugs surrounded my partner and I at a local swimming hole--calling us "fags" and telling us that we'd better get the fuck out of the river.
See, I had the audacity to carry his inner-tube up the river for him while we were out tubing on the river. It's not like we were walking hand-in-hand, kissing, or anything. But we weren't in hiding either. I was just being a gentleman to my partner.
It was our first get-away as a couple. We'd gone up the night before and planned on staying the weekend at a nice hotel. But the experience ruined our trip. We packed up and left that afternoon.
That was about 23 years ago. I've grown a lot since. I won't back down if someone threatens me. It kind of helps that I'm bigger than almost everybody.
This is a perfect example of why Gay Americans are fighting back. We’re not taking it anymore and we’re fighting back. The mouth pieces on this site are an amusing and motley crew of haters. They think their childish name calling and intimidation techniques have an impact on our resolve. I always chuckle when they ask if we’re mad. They’re simply impotent wind bags who pose no consequence to the realization of Gay Marriage Rights in the USA and Worldwide. I especially love it when the powerless haters whine on about how ten percent of the population can impose its will on ninety percent. It’s douche bags like these idiots who backed Gay Americans into a corner and then cry like little biotchs now that they azzes are getting handed to them. They can keep on spouting their inane elitist logic while Gay Americans drive real change. As of today twelve and counting……woohoo!!!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#192069 May 13, 2013
Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a perfect example of why Gay Americans are fighting back. We’re not taking it anymore and we’re fighting back. The mouth pieces on this site are an amusing and motley crew of haters. They think their childish name calling and intimidation techniques have an impact on our resolve. I always chuckle when they ask if we’re mad. They’re simply impotent wind bags who pose no consequence to the realization of Gay Marriage Rights in the USA and Worldwide. I especially love it when the powerless haters whine on about how ten percent of the population can impose its will on ninety percent. It’s douche bags like these idiots who backed Gay Americans into a corner and then cry like little biotchs now that they azzes are getting handed to them. They can keep on spouting their inane elitist logic while Gay Americans drive real change. As of today twelve and counting……woohoo!!!
You mad fruitcake?
Mahmoud Abdullah

Sacramento, CA

#192077 May 14, 2013
U shood not be gay!! Allah dont like being gay its very bad for u!! Gay peeple u r being very bad peeple!! STOP BEING GAY AND STOP DOING BAD THINGS!! If u r good persin u will not axept gay marrij Allah dont axept it Iran dont like it yay for all the very nise very smart peeple who on here dont like gay marrij u shood be very prowd of yoreself u doing very good thing Allah look kindlee upon u and yore familee and he will bless u with many suns!!
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#192078 May 14, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is arguing its a requirement, however, married couples do consummate their marriages, and engage in "marital relations", which, surprise, can result in conception. When was the last time a man sexually impregnated another man, or a woman another woman with sperm her own body produced?
...yawn...

Not a requirement but then wondering about pregnancy? Not too bright, are you?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#192079 May 14, 2013
The Exterminator 6 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, we all know that hate crimes do occur. In fact, gays experience more hate crimes from other gays by far. Especially black gays.
The fact is, you gays lie and that is duly noted, the Matthew Shepard crime was not a hate crime based on his orientation and what happened to you also was not a crime. It could have escalated to that, but it did not.
Nevertheless, the fact remains that hate crimes against blacks and hate crimes based on religion far exceed hate crimes against gays and that includes the ones in the hands of other gays.
BY the way, Roy and Silo were never gay penguins, they were always a straight. You gays forgot to tell the end of the story, Roy left her platonic friend, Silo, for Chappy, a female penguin.
Once credibility is lost, it can never be returned.
Believe whatever lies blow your skirt up. They are still lies.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#192080 May 14, 2013
<quoted text>Why would anyone and even gays give this story negative judgits?
I am certain that there are some gay hate crimes, but Matthew Shepard was not one of them. In fact, McKinney was Matt's gay lover, since he was bisexual. Well, honestly McKinney was a Meth head who was do anything for drugs. McKinney's girlfriend had told the prosecutors about a threesome offer by Matthew Shepard.
The other thing is this, your story was in 2006, but in 2004 20/20 interviewed the girl friend and the prosecutor. The prosecutor said that this was no hate crime, it was a murder over drugs and money. He said that the national media and gay activists grabbed this story and it took off. Once the gay activists decided to make this a hate crime to try to manufacture the US as a hate crime country against gays it was over and the truth was killed. The prosecutor stated that this was all they needed, their Rosa Parks, but it was all a lie.
Like I said, there are hater crimes against gays, but this was not one of them.
Telling lies about dead people is just about the scummiest thing a bigot like you can do. Lying, fetid pond scum.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#192081 May 14, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
So what should they base their effort "to impose immorality on others"?
Is someone forcing you to have gay sex daydreams?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#192082 May 14, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story? id=277685Shepard Murder
Jan 6, 2006, 12:29 AM
Six years ago, on a cold October night on the outskirts of Laramie, Wyo., 21-year-old gay college student Matthew Shepard was brutally beaten, tied to a fence and left for dead. He was found 18 hours later and rushed to the hospital, where he lingered on the edge of death for nearly five days before succumbing to his injuries.
The story garnered national attention when the attack was characterized as a hate crime. But Shepard's killers, in their first interview since their convictions, tell "20/20's" Elizabeth Vargas that money and drugs motivated their actions that night, not hatred of gays.
While Shepard lay unconscious in a hospital, the national press quickly arrived in Laramie. Cal Rerucha, who prosecuted the case, told Vargas the media descended on Laramie "like locusts."
"We knew in the newsroom the day it happened, this is going to be a huge story, this is going to attract international interest," said Jason Marsden of "The Casper Star-Tribune."
"I remember one of my fellow reporters saying,'this kid is going to be the new poster child for gay rights," he added. News of Shepard's death sparked reaction overseas and demonstrations across America.
"I think a lot of gay people, when they first heard of that horrifying event, felt sort of punched in the stomach. I mean it kind of encapsulated all our fears of being victimized," said writer Andrew Sullivan, a prominent gay rights advocate.
<quoted text>
Soon there will be no place for you to spew your filth.

Welcome to 2013 Minnesota.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#192083 May 14, 2013
<quoted text>You're kidding, right? The LGBT community can not be brought to court and neither can ActUp and BashBack, but both have FBI hate crime records.
No, if all we need was an agenda, then we could claim that Matthew Shepard's lover, McKinney,was religious and it was a hate crime, when in fact McKinney was bisexual and killed Matt over drugs and money. Meth was on McKinney's mind.
But, don't let the truth change your mind.
Yeah, right.... and I saw Elvis at a bigfoot convention.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#192084 May 14, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
[QUOTE]

Easy there VeeVee, I never said they didn't. There's more to the Sheppard story than previously reported. Accuracy is a pillar if responsible journalism.

[QUOTE]
[QUOTE]

Again slow down there big fella. See above.

[QUOTE]
I agree. But let's not trump a crime as a "hate crime" if its not just to further a political agenda or movement. It's an injustice to the victim.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#192085 May 14, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. But let's not trump a crime as a "hate crime" if its not just to further a political agenda or movement. It's an injustice to the victim.
I see the concept of 'hate crime' escapes you. Why doesn't that surprise me?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#192086 May 14, 2013
<quoted text>Really, perhaps they need to stop sampling opinions of folks in the San Francisco gay district.
Newsmax: 500,000 polled....74% opposed SSM
Topix poll: 66% opposed SSM
I just conducted a poll...100% of the respondents said that you were an idiot.
so you are completely clueless as to what is going on in the country... understood

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palm Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Elizabeth Taylor & Michael Jackson at Her Final... 10 hr Octopus 25
Tony Casas, 77; Former Prisons Official Worked ... (Sep '07) Thu nick 705
child molester at large in dhs Wed tay 2
Review: Law Office Of Geoffrey M. Yaryan Oct 18 gmyaryan 1
Costco readies for new opening (Dec '06) Oct 15 Ramya 151
Touch Of Class Consignments, Cathedral City, ca. (Aug '13) Oct 8 Terry 126
Riverside County DA, let's two bad guys go free. Oct 4 Bill H 1
Palm Springs Dating
Find my Match

Palm Springs Jobs