Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,373)

Showing posts 167,441 - 167,460 of200,213
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm this is where things get murky. So far its "normal"....and "homosexual intercourse" is legal....although the latter is somewhat ambiguous as to what constitutes "homosexual intercourse". So what does that mean?
"Legitimize"? So marriage is a self esteem program? Simply because "....expression of the physical and emotional attraction that millions of tax-paying, law-abiding, U.S. Citizens engage in....", doesn't mean the state has to scrap the standard of marriage as a mongamous union of husband and wife. We don't call a veggie patty a "burger" to boost the self esteem, of vegetarians, or so as not to hurt their feelings.
<quoted text>
Suppose some of "these people" wanted to marry their first cousin, which is legal in several states? By your definition, they could not do so? Why does it matter, if the two individuals are of the same sex, and related by blood, that they be barred from marrying? You wish to change the definition of marriage to suit your needs/wants/desires, but are, apparently unable or unwilling, to change the definition for anyone else?
<quoted text>
Marriage is a union of husband and wife, period. Its the means by which society connects men and women, and what ever children they produce. Its about the sexes, both of them, what they do, have sex, and what that sex produces, children. Seriously, VV, if sex didn't produce children, would it matter who married who, or didn't marry who? At what point does it become pointless? If its nothing more than a means by which consenting adults organize their intimate personal relationships complete with a government beneifits package, then there's no rational reason to deny all sorts of combinations. I cannot fathom why society cannot continue to honor, recognize, and/or privilege marriage as a unique mongamous union of husband and wife. WHY? What is the issue? So society says, "we"ll recognize same sex relationships via 'civil union'....but the gay folks, some not all, say,'oh no....you have to call it marriage'! WHY?
1.) Same-gender couples do not want to legitimize their relationships through legal marriage to boost their self esteem. As you very well know, there are many protections and benefits that come along with marriage. Many of these benefits and protections have nothing to do with children. Do you agree?

2.) Regarding marriage between certain relatives... I didn't think that I had to spell it out for you. I am obviously talking about a marriage between siblings or a marriage between parent and child or between a grandparent and grandchild. You know exactly what I mean when I say "unrelated".
I don't know that I need to explain why it is that same-gender marriage is completely different than incestuous marriage. If you seriously do not understand that there is a vast difference between a someone developing an emotional/physical relationship with a non-relative and someone developing an emotional/physical relationship with a relative, then I don't know that I can help you.
Suffice it to say that we are not here to discuss incestuous marriages. Any attempts to lead this discussion away from the primary topic--i.e.: same-gender marriage--is nothing more than a distraction. I won't entertain it.

3.) A marriage is a contract between two consenting, adult, unrelated people. It is not a contract between two people and their offspring. That is why there aren't two separate definitions set aside for people who intend to have children and those who do not intend to have children.
And with regards to term "civil union"; there are no other identical contracts that provides identical protections and benefits but have different names.
If legally joined same-gender couples would enjoy all of the benefits and protections as legally joined opposite-gender couples, then why should there be different terminology?
If you have a red rose and a pink rose, they are BOTH roses with only subtle differences.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
How many voters now approve of plural marriage? Have the approval numbers increased in the past ten years? What about sibling marriage? Does every adult have the right to have his/her intimate personal sexual relationship with another consenting adult be designated marriage by the state? If so where does it end? Why legally recognize marriage at all?
Donít know actually those would be interesting figures, I see no reason not to support Poly, you could consider it a full employment effort for our nationís lawyers ( can you imagine a divorce of one person out of 4?):P

I donít have those figures, I do have the ones on same sex marriage however.

None of those issues are in the court cases in front of the courts right now, go get your case and bring it to the courts and we can weigh in on it.

But you are not going to frighten anyone with that crap that isnít already frightened by same sex marriage, the slippery slope argument is not going to work on anyone that is not already scared half to death... that isnít me

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a fact, a majority of American voters now approve of same sex marriage in the US. That could not be the case without a tremendous number of heterosexuals ( you and I ) supporting same sex marriage.
Yaaaaaaay Big D and just the facts are "a tremendous number of heterosexuals". Is there no end to his power?
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

LawandOrder_ wrote:
<quoted text>Fact, that is a lie. Perhaps you should consuklt real polls, instead ogf gay polls.
Topx poll: 63% of pollers oppose same sex marriages
Newslife poll: 74% of pollers opposes same sex marriages.
The only reason any heterosexuals support it all is because you are stupid. You do not know that the APA president has come out and said that it is a choice, gays are cured and denial of a gay's right to pursues causes gay suicide.
I bet you also do not know that they never found any studies to deny that homosexuality was a mental disorder. Most psychiatrists still call it a character or gender disorder.
Also, the APA onl presents less than 40% of the medical profession of psychiatrists and psychologists in the US and less than 1% worldwide. The APA also went up for senate review when they supported a study saying that paedophilia was not harmful to children.
are you in for some sad times ahead LOL, you donít even realize what is going on.

States are approving Same sex marriage with voter support right and left, states that had banned same sex marriage are starting to reverse those bans ( see Nevada )
Equality Now

Cupertino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Love is the greatest emotion humans can offer one another. Why restrict a couple's love for one another? It's time that most of the archaic puritan "values" be put to rest.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Yaaaaaaay Big D and just the facts are "a tremendous number of heterosexuals". Is there no end to his power?
LOL

I donít have any power at all, I am just laughing at folks that are so frightened of a word.

Marriage from a legal standpoint is a legal contract, that is all it is. There are believers in one religion that feel one way about it, there are believers of other religions that feel another way about it, and none of them agree, there are thousands of Christian and Jewish churches that want to preform same sex marriage.

No one speaks for all of them, and no single religion owns the word "marriage"

The only actual distinction is from the governments perspective, which is a legal contract.

I donít care if it is between opposite sex couples or same sex couples or groups of people ( adults ), heck I donít care if it is non-romantic couples ( elderly ladies that depend on one another )

It makes no difference to me, and does not affect me or my marriage in any way whatsoever.

But I do find it humorous how frightened some people are, by others being given the same rights as they have themselves.

It is just funny to me
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Donít know actually those would be interesting figures, I see no reason not to support Poly, you could consider it a full employment effort for our nationís lawyers ( can you imagine a divorce of one person out of 4?):P
I donít have those figures, I do have the ones on same sex marriage however.
None of those issues are in the court cases in front of the courts right now, go get your case and bring it to the courts and we can weigh in on it.
But you are not going to frighten anyone with that crap that isnít already frightened by same sex marriage, the slippery slope argument is not going to work on anyone that is not already scared half to death... that isnít me
"...scared half to death..."

Oy vey.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO! What a team. Dope and Dopier.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
are you in for some sad times ahead LOL, you donít even realize what is going on.
States are approving Same sex marriage with voter support right and left, states that had banned same sex marriage are starting to reverse those bans ( see Nevada )
I'm sure it will just break his heart with sadness.

Try and realx drama queen.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
I donít have any power at all, I am just laughing at folks that are so frightened of a word.
Marriage from a legal standpoint is a legal contract, that is all it is. There are believers in one religion that feel one way about it, there are believers of other religions that feel another way about it, and none of them agree, there are thousands of Christian and Jewish churches that want to preform same sex marriage.
No one speaks for all of them, and no single religion owns the word "marriage"
The only actual distinction is from the governments perspective, which is a legal contract.
I donít care if it is between opposite sex couples or same sex couples or groups of people ( adults ), heck I donít care if it is non-romantic couples ( elderly ladies that depend on one another )
It makes no difference to me, and does not affect me or my marriage in any way whatsoever.
But I do find it humorous how frightened some people are, by others being given the same rights as they have themselves.
It is just funny to me
"Jewish churches that want to "preform"..." There are no Jewish churches, son.

"But I do find it humorous how frightened some people are...It is just funny to me..." HAR!HAR!HAR! So funny! People frightened! YUK!YUK!YUK! So funny!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Please do post the perma link where I posted that I was a Colonel. I guess what I am saying Frank is this. You are a bold faced liar. Nothing new about that.
Colonel, private, mess cook, great big war hero, whatever BS you said, I didn't memorize it you silly jackass!

Anybody can tell big tall tales on an anonymous forum, Jiz, go wild! We believe you.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
But different. A sterile duplicate half of real marriage.
Kind of like calling liberals patriots.
Snicker.
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isnít different, the fact that I consider your marriage a sham and the fact that you consider their marriage a sham is meaningless.
Legally they ( and you ) are married.. period
The legal part is still up for grabs.

The distinctions can't be changed. Even by a law.

Smile.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Never said I was a hero, never said that I was awarded a medal. Frank why do you feel it necessary to bull shiet ?
Neither did I. Beyond saying that my medals are real and Bill's is fake. You are the one who said I was a hero, dummy. Remember?

Why did you feel it necessary to lie?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Snicker.
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
Both clever, and funny.
Thank you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Snicker.
just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you ASSume that gay people are sterile? Why do you ASSume that a liberal can not be patriotic? I think perhalps Colin Powell might just disagree.
I assume nothing. A ss couple is mutually incapable of procreation. You really didn't know that?

As to liberals, Benghazi comes to mind today.
The IRS desecrating it's integrity to abuse it's power.
I could go on, just on today's events...

Oh, and Colin Power supported putting a community organizer in charge of two wars and maybe the most serious fiscal crisis we have ever experienced. Racism is the only logical reason he would do so.

Smirk.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I think excluding homosexuals from fighting for us was very stupid. From my experience they make fine soldiers and sailors. Who cares if someone peeks at your little winky dink anyway?
I appreciate your experience. There are other to consider however. I listened today on NPR, of all places, to a woman note the sexual assault of a young male soldier that was so violent, he was hospitalized.

So you are now supporting equality, that men and women soldiers should be housed together because "who cares if someone peeks"?

The fact is, this is where denial leads. I mean both the rise in sexual assaults, and you looking like a fool trying to defend it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>I did a bit of digging on the subject. You might want to look a bit deeper, as you are a complete dumbazz. The rise is attributed to heterosexuals, its in print.
Then why didn't you post your source?

Smile.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>I did a bit of digging on the subject. You might want to look a bit deeper, as you are a complete dumbazz. The rise is attributed to heterosexuals, its in print.
By the way, history and I both warned about putting males and females in close quarters. Homosexuality only multiplies the danger.

At the expense of our nation's safety.

Traitorous stupidity.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a fact, a majority of American voters now approve of same sex marriage in the US. That could not be the case without a tremendous number of heterosexuals ( you and I ) supporting same sex marriage.
Guess what happens to reality when you take a poll on it?

Snicker.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>No buddy it was all you. Think back moron
Perhaps you'll post the permalink where I said I was a hero then tough guy.

Chop chop!! Make it snappy jackass!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 167,441 - 167,460 of200,213
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Palm Springs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Palm Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••