Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
167,361 - 167,380 of 200,366 Comments Last updated 6 hrs ago
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Why are you deflecting ? What does incest have to do with the subject of marriage? How will same sex marriage harm your marriage, life, life style or children?
You REALLY are confused. Marriage is an institution that is closed to siblings, and wrongly, too. They should have equality. Don't you agree? Where is their ability to enjoy the same rights as any other American? Answer that, if you can do so, without twisting. Brother and sister, or brother and brother, for that matter. Point blank question. Where is their marriage? Out in the field, getting soaked by the "You don't count" storm? Who says that they do not rate? YOU?
For God

Crothersville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

why
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Still looking for Jebus? Have you checked your closet?
I found him in my garage once, but I called the cops and had him arrested for trespassing, He was hiding behind the water heater
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Another false claim, from the Minister Of Propaganda.
no claim, I have seen doezns of people here do it, nothing to it
yayo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Si
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
It would seem that this issue has been flip-flopping a lot.
"From the enactment of legislation in 1971 to replace gendered pronouns with gender-neutral pronouns, until 1977, California Civil Code § 4100 defined marriage as "a personal relation arising out of a civil contract, to which the consent of the parties capable of making that contract is necessary." This definition was uniformly interpreted as including only opposite-sex partners, but, because of worries that the language was unclear, Assembly Bill No. 607 was proposed and later passed to "prohibit persons of the same sex from entering lawful marriage." The act amended the Civil Code to define marriage as "a personal relation arising out of a civil contract between a man and a woman, to which the consent of the parties capable of making that contract is necessary."[17] Since 1994, this language is found in § 300 of the Family Code"
"City officials in San Francisco claimed that although the 2004 marriages were prohibited by state law, the state law was invalidated by the Equal Protection Clause. The mayor echoed this view, permitting the marriages because he believed the state law was unconstitutional. However, legislators and groups opposing same-sex marriages quickly reacted, filing a suit and requesting a court order to prevent the city from performing the ceremonies. Additionally, the California state agency that records marriages stated that altered forms, including any marriage licenses issued to same-sex couples, would not be registered. The legal validity of the marriages was tested in the courts, and the marriages were ultimately voided by the state Supreme Court."
"As of June 16, 2008, gay couples can get married in California.
The change in California marriage laws is due to the 5/15/08 California Supreme Court ruling that "the right to marry in California extends equally to all, gay and straight alike."
Source: Bob Egelko, "State's top court strikes down marriage ban"
From differing sources. Please, do not assume that I have not read up on the subject. It makes you look silly. It has not always been legal, hence, it was illegal, and is being bandied about. So, these rights were not always present for the gays, making my statement correct. These "rights" have been granted, then removed again. now, it is in flux.
You can take your argument up with the state of California that currently legally recognizes 18,000 same sex marriages. But I expect prop 8 will be overturned before you can get a hearing to challenge them, which will make your effort to have them not recognize those marriages moot.

But right now, they do,

California 18,000
Rock Hudson zip
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's YOUR opinion. You don't give any reasons WHY you think polygamy deserves the same respect and consideration. You just think whatever bullshit comes out of your mouth is valid because YOU said it.
val·id (vld)
adj.
1. Well grounded; just: a valid objection.
2. Producing the desired results; efficacious: valid methods.
3. Having legal force; effective or binding: a valid title.
4. Logic
a. Containing premises from which the conclusion may logically be derived: a valid argument.
b. Correctly inferred or deduced from a premise: a valid conclusion.
Oh, child, of course he has. Did you get all glass-eyed when the posts about the irrelevance of monogamy went by?
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
As you are a red-neck fool, you exhibit traits of both groups.
Yes, I'm sure that's very clever, where you come from. Please sit down.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
every person that commits is commiting a crime
every person that drives over the speed limit is commiting a crime
it is a wide range, don’t assume too much
My desire to secure our borders has nothing whatsoever to do with color, culture, race, of food preference. Notice our largest border is the least secure, the one to the north
Agreed.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
no claim, I have seen doezns of people here do it, nothing to it
But, sir, sidestepping is not the same "wiping the floor'.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You can take your argument up with the state of California that currently legally recognizes 18,000 same sex marriages. But I expect prop 8 will be overturned before you can get a hearing to challenge them, which will make your effort to have them not recognize those marriages moot.
But right now, they do,
California 18,000
Rock Hudson zip
But then, these words, right here: "But right now, they do," grant validity to these words, right here: "So, these rights were not always present for the gays, making my statement correct. These "rights" have been granted, then removed again. now, it is in flux.". It's all about the context of the timeline. Not always means that they had to have been granted, at a time when it was not legal. Making me correct. No "rights" have been denied, they were wrongly bestowed. That is the only wrong going on, here. The 18,000 need to be annulled. Then, we'll be back on track. Where we belong.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

And, by the way, Chongo, in case you missed this on the other forum...

how 'homophobic' are you? Weigh your attitudes and beliefs about homosexuals on the Homophobia Scale (below) and see how you rank.

39 - Your score rates you as "non-homophobic."
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

So, Chongo, there's that...
Wish there was an "Are You A Hater?" quiz, for you to take... You'd score abysmally.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

However, this does nothing to lessen my stance that SSM is wrong.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I found him in my garage once, but I called the cops and had him arrested for trespassing, He was hiding behind the water heater
That's strange that you saw him yet you insist he is imaginary. Maybe you should have your head examined.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Why you mad bro? Flat tire on your wheel chair? What is it? VA cut you loose? No cash to buy MD20/20? Hey sell your sperm, crap, you're dried out. Oh well you still have your health.
Why do you beat your wife? Why do you stalk me? Why are you obsessed with me? Why do you cruise the gay threads? What does your wife do while you cruise the gay threads?

Why didn't you stay in school? Why are you stupid? Why can't you spell?

Oh Jizzy! I have a thousand questions just like you!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
But, sir, sidestepping is not the same "wiping the floor'.
I'd ask Big D to list these "dozens of people" who have "wiped the floor" with me, but why bother, everyone knows he is a liar and they don't exist.

Big D gets desperate and then he gets stupid and starts lying.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
But, I don't fear it, I just have the ability to recognize which change is beneficial, and which change is not.
So far I haven't seen where you've talked about how same-sex marriage would be harmful. You've only said that you're a "traditionalist", which implies a fear of change.

Can you admit that same-sex marriage would benefit same-sex couples and their families?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage is not a "right", it's a privilege. Men and women can all do the same things in America. We all have the same rights, enumerated in the Constitution. Marriage isn't mentioned. At all. It just isn't. It's not listed as a right. Look for it. It isn't there. Period. What MORE do you need to be told? IT'S NOT THERE!
Well, maybe it should be in the Constitution. Maybe the founding fathers didn't believe that it needed to be listed--believed that it was just a "given" that people have the right to marry.

I can think of many things that aren't in the Constitution. Compulsory education is not a right, yet there are various public systems that have created it. In fact, not only is it a "right", but it is mandatory. We have truant officers that will force kids and their parents to engage in education, whether they want to or not.

We don't have the Constitutional right to vote, but we have the constitutional right to be protected from not being allowed to vote based on race, sex, and age.

Does every action that we consider to be the bedrock of freedom have to be listed in the Constitution?

I don't think so.

You keep trying to make this a Constitutional argument. It's not. It is about basic human rights that SHOULD be available to tax-paying, law-abiding, citizens of the U.S.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
So far I haven't seen where you've talked about how same-sex marriage would be harmful. You've only said that you're a "traditionalist", which implies a fear of change.
Can you admit that same-sex marriage would benefit same-sex couples and their families?
Sure. But I'd also point out that granting amnesty to the hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens would benefit them, and their families, too. Doesn't make it right, however.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Palm Springs Discussions

Search the Palm Springs Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Tony Casas, 77; Former Prisons Official Worked ... (Sep '07) 10 min Throbbing Hard On 650
desert hot springs, ca. unkept yards 48 min Randy 5
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 51 min seekers 4,900
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 52 min Pole swap 7,855
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 7 hr rain or snow to slow 15,928
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Jul 28 snodder 2,252
Review: Rich's Painting Jul 23 Spectacular job 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Palm Springs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Palm Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE