Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,324)

Showing posts 166,461 - 166,480 of200,233
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
So how is it that you have a slut lesbian inside of yourself, but, you don't have your so-called "epi-marker mistake"?
Marram, you realize that Kimare's term, "epi-marker mistake" is not a real term, don't you?

He believes that he can fool people into thinking that homosexuality is a mistake.

He loves making up scientific-sounding words. But, he's pretty lousy at it; even for a washed-up pastor.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate the sincerity you approach with.
1. I have no problem with GLBT's facing the reality of who they are. I continue that reality acceptance, and find that 'different' people appreciate the consistency. I share my reality with a brashness when dealing with denial. Many GLBT's do exactly the same thing. The fact of the matter is, I AM a monster mutation.
2. I have never limited marriage to procreation. That is really a dishonest assertion about me... I simply take marriage to it's fundamental essence. In fact, if I take marriage to it's earliest roots, it is the reunion of gender to it's prehistoric genderless simple life form. I also use the issue of anal sex for the same purpose; expose the silliness of trying to equate ss couples to marriage.
Here is the bottom line; The union of a heterosexual couple, and the fruit that is most often the result are described as marriage and family. Those words describe a situation like no other. If the words marriage and family are subverted by a different type of relationship (as you suggest), there is no longer a description that expresses that distinction.
This begs the question, why don't ss couples establish their own identity and legal rights? Why the demand that we pretend that marriage and family are the same as ss couples? Do you have an answer?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you name one two legal contracts that are EXACTLY the same other than in name?
If Same-Sex Couples get a license to join their relationship in every single way that Opposite-Sex Couples, why should it be called something different?
The government doesn't have an interest in creating two identical unions with differing names.
You're a traditionalist. And that's fine. But it's not enough to develop a whole separate definition.
You are avoiding the point with a lie.

Surprise.

Snicker.

Since: Jan 10

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
I find it difficult to see Marram's logic of defending monogamous marriage as the historic norm when the laws of several states have already departed from the principle that it is heterosexual, monogamous marriage that is essential to social stability. If heterosexuality is no longer legally, morally or socially relevant to marriage, why should monogamy continue to be so important?
Marram? Why? And why are you a hypocrite? How would a loving marriage of three men hurt you?
Relax poly boi

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Marram, you realize that Kimare's term, "epi-marker mistake" is not a real term, don't you?
He believes that he can fool people into thinking that homosexuality is a mistake.
He loves making up scientific-sounding words. But, he's pretty lousy at it; even for a washed-up pastor.
Of course I do. Can you follow my line of questioning? Let me spell it out for you, if itís a Lesbian (in part or whole) how can its incessant babble about how Gay Americans have some sort of defect not admit itís junk science points out itís own defect? Do you get it? I canít believe you had to ask.
Pukers

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Let the puking begin, this topic is dead.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate the sincerity you approach with.
1. I have no problem with GLBT's facing the reality of who they are. I continue that reality acceptance, and find that 'different' people appreciate the consistency. I share my reality with a brashness when dealing with denial. Many GLBT's do exactly the same thing. The fact of the matter is, I AM a monster mutation.
2. I have never limited marriage to procreation. That is really a dishonest assertion about me... I simply take marriage to it's fundamental essence. In fact, if I take marriage to it's earliest roots, it is the reunion of gender to it's prehistoric genderless simple life form. I also use the issue of anal sex for the same purpose; expose the silliness of trying to equate ss couples to marriage.
Here is the bottom line; The union of a heterosexual couple, and the fruit that is most often the result are described as marriage and family. Those words describe a situation like no other. If the words marriage and family are subverted by a different type of relationship (as you suggest), there is no longer a description that expresses that distinction.
This begs the question, why don't ss couples establish their own identity and legal rights? Why the demand that we pretend that marriage and family are the same as ss couples? Do you have an answer?
<quoted text>
You are avoiding the point with a lie.
Surprise.
Snicker.
You know, I just adore when you respond in this way. It only makes you seem more bizarre with each passing day.

At what point do I "lie".

You asked a question and I answered it.

Do you know of any pair of legal contracts that are exactly the same in every way, but are called by completely different names?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
Relax poly boi
No Fairyhopper.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I do. Can you follow my line of questioning? Let me spell it out for you, if itís a Lesbian (in part or whole) how can its incessant babble about how Gay Americans have some sort of defect not admit itís junk science points out itís own defect? Do you get it? I canít believe you had to ask.
Why are you a hater?

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you a hater?
Ah shuddup, hater.
Windover

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

I was informed this topic was as good as gone, what happened did some Mormon BLOW some life back in to it?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it would be up to the lawmakers in those states to try to pass an Amendment to the Constitution--not the voters. So, I'm not so concerned about what individual voters might or might not do.
You really don't understand how our system of government works, do you?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
And you seem to forget that Proposition 8 will be five years old come November.
So? The Constitution is 225 years old.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
And the backlash to that backlash has been the overwhelming support of CA voters who would not likely vote for such a ballot today.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. I seem to remember this same argument with Prop 8.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Times have changed considerably.
Not really.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Republican lawmakers at all levels have changed their personal views re: same-sex marriage.
You paint with such a broad brush. Life must be grand in fantasy land.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
And many of these lawmakers DO NOT want to be forced to stand against same-sex marriage. They would welcome the Supreme Court's ability to make a sweeping decision.
Has less to do with being forced, and more to do with a political play. But who cares if our elected officials uphold their oath's to support the Constitution?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand by my predictions.
That's nice.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I see you guys throwing straight supporters of same-sex marriage under the bus all the time. It's hardly gruesome.
And nobody knows exactly how many gay people there are in this country.
Not everyone who participates in homosexual activity thinks of his/herself as gay. Many closeted gays would admit to being gay, even though they have attractions to members of the same gender.
So you're probably not going to get an accurate count anytime soon.
Nevertheless, you can rest assured that most in the LGBT community AND our heterosexual allies do, in fact, support same-sex marriage.
You sure do like to spend a lot of time talking about nothing important at all, don't you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Some Never Came Home wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,it seems sometimes you really don't think things through! Sorry OH great one but there have now been 3 states that have passed Marriage equality by popular vote! Now,are you lying or was it an honest mistake on the part of your ignorance? Geez,and we all thought you knew it all! Care to try again?
3 states by popular vote,Maine,Maryland and Washington state!
www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-usa-cam...
Yup, my error. I stand corrected. 3 States.

Unlike most on your side, I can admit a mistake and actually learn something. I don't have an agenda like so many others.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
We can see the heavy Rose_NoHo influence in your posts. Hateful. Stupid. Arrogant. Hypocritical.

Nice! She'll be proud.

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
We can see the heavy Rose_NoHo influence in your posts. Hateful. Stupid. Arrogant. Hypocritical.
Nice! She'll be proud.
Relax, Hater.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
There is the question of how likely that will happen as well as the question about some of those states doing away with their bans on SSM thus increasing the required number of states left needing to pass one for an amendment to the US Constitution.

I'm inclined to believe there won't be any such amendment added to the Constitution in the current climate. It is arguable that right now there are 7 states with the potential climate for such an event, then again there are 2 states that may reverse their position.
It is HIGHLY unlikely. The point being made is to point out this fantasy that SSM is "sweeping the nation" and popular opinion is swiftly changing. If that were true, the SSM crowd wouldn't be putting so much faith in a sweeping decision from the SCOTUS. Fact is, without such a decision you are stuck at possibly 19 States unless citizens of the 31 States with bans vote to amend their Constitutions again. Personally I think the fight to convince a politician to legislate favorably towards SSM is much easier than doing the same with the citizenry to reverse themselves.

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
It is HIGHLY unlikely. The point being made is to point out this fantasy that SSM is "sweeping the nation" and popular opinion is swiftly changing. If that were true, the SSM crowd wouldn't be putting so much faith in a sweeping decision from the SCOTUS. Fact is, without such a decision you are stuck at possibly 19 States unless citizens of the 31 States with bans vote to amend their Constitutions again. Personally I think the fight to convince a politician to legislate favorably towards SSM is much easier than doing the same with the citizenry to reverse themselves.
You make that statement as though anyone in American as the right to vote on others rights. Besides, you assume all the ignorant haters who voted against other Americanís rights will be alive or able to do the same in the future. If you werenít such an arrogant, self-important windbag you might pause long enough to realize that. The USA is changing whether you like it or not. And there will be Gay Marriage Rights in all 50 states whether you ďvoteĒ for it or it gets jammed down your throat. Pontificate on that douche bag.
a takeover

Porterville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Ummmm hmmmm

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Back in the days before widespread media access, the nation went from passing an amendment to prohibit the sale and use of alcohol to allowing the sale and use of alcohol in a period of 13 years.

That's a pretty quick change of heart for an entire nation, don't you think?

The pace of the momentum to support same-sex marriage has quickened over the past decade. People's minds have changed considerably, as indicated by every reliable statistic and poll on the subject.

What people felt about gays and gay rights ten years ago have changed. You can't deny that.

The LGBT Community and its allies have made great headway into demystifying who we are. So many of us have come out of the closet that most people now either have a family member or know someone closely who is gay.

One of the few positive outcomes of the HIV/AIDS crisis over the past 30 years has been to bring LGBT issues to the forefront. Since the disease largely began in the gay male community, we had to fight for political recognition in order to get adequate medical care and benefits that would help those who were suffering from the disease.

Rights and protections for LGBT people are now on the minds of most Americans. They either oppose them or support them. But unlike times in the past, they are at the very least thinking about LGBT issues.

That's progress...

Look... We all know where this is going to end. Same-Sex marriages will be legal throughout the U.S. within the decade, if not sooner. About 12 of the 25 First World Nations have passed laws that legalize Same-Sex Marriage.

Can you see a trend?

It's only a matter of time.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and another thing... We aren't necessarily putting our faith in the Supreme Court's decision.

If the Supreme Court comes back and upholds DOMA and Prop. 8, don't think for one second that the LGBT community will run for the hills, tails between our legs.

We're hopeful that the Supreme Court makes it easy on us so that we don't have to pursue the issue for the next 10 or so years. But we're willing to stay the course and go the distance.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 166,461 - 166,480 of200,233
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Palm Springs Discussions

Search the Palm Springs Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 1 hr paddyomalley 7,820
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 2 hr all doned in 4,864
Tony Casas, 77; Former Prisons Official Worked ... (Sep '07) 18 hr Big Juciey Pussie 630
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Sat The right is wrong 2,225
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Jul 11 This topics peaked 15,911
Touch Of Class Consignments, Cathedral City, ca. (Aug '13) Jul 6 Sandy 118
US: Afghan vote step forward on 'democratic path' Jul 4 Rho 9
•••
•••
•••
•••

Palm Springs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Palm Springs People Search