Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
166,461 - 166,480 of 200,564 Comments Last updated 13 hrs ago
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
Relax poly boi
No Fairyhopper.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I do. Can you follow my line of questioning? Let me spell it out for you, if itís a Lesbian (in part or whole) how can its incessant babble about how Gay Americans have some sort of defect not admit itís junk science points out itís own defect? Do you get it? I canít believe you had to ask.
Why are you a hater?

Since: Jan 10

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you a hater?
Ah shuddup, hater.
Windover

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

I was informed this topic was as good as gone, what happened did some Mormon BLOW some life back in to it?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it would be up to the lawmakers in those states to try to pass an Amendment to the Constitution--not the voters. So, I'm not so concerned about what individual voters might or might not do.
You really don't understand how our system of government works, do you?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
And you seem to forget that Proposition 8 will be five years old come November.
So? The Constitution is 225 years old.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
And the backlash to that backlash has been the overwhelming support of CA voters who would not likely vote for such a ballot today.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. I seem to remember this same argument with Prop 8.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Times have changed considerably.
Not really.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Republican lawmakers at all levels have changed their personal views re: same-sex marriage.
You paint with such a broad brush. Life must be grand in fantasy land.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
And many of these lawmakers DO NOT want to be forced to stand against same-sex marriage. They would welcome the Supreme Court's ability to make a sweeping decision.
Has less to do with being forced, and more to do with a political play. But who cares if our elected officials uphold their oath's to support the Constitution?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand by my predictions.
That's nice.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I see you guys throwing straight supporters of same-sex marriage under the bus all the time. It's hardly gruesome.
And nobody knows exactly how many gay people there are in this country.
Not everyone who participates in homosexual activity thinks of his/herself as gay. Many closeted gays would admit to being gay, even though they have attractions to members of the same gender.
So you're probably not going to get an accurate count anytime soon.
Nevertheless, you can rest assured that most in the LGBT community AND our heterosexual allies do, in fact, support same-sex marriage.
You sure do like to spend a lot of time talking about nothing important at all, don't you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Some Never Came Home wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,it seems sometimes you really don't think things through! Sorry OH great one but there have now been 3 states that have passed Marriage equality by popular vote! Now,are you lying or was it an honest mistake on the part of your ignorance? Geez,and we all thought you knew it all! Care to try again?
3 states by popular vote,Maine,Maryland and Washington state!
www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-usa-cam...
Yup, my error. I stand corrected. 3 States.

Unlike most on your side, I can admit a mistake and actually learn something. I don't have an agenda like so many others.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I do. Can you follow my line of questioning? Let me spell it out for you, if itís a Lesbian (in part or whole) how can its incessant babble about how Gay Americans have some sort of defect not admit itís junk science points out itís own defect? Do you get it? I canít believe you had to ask.
We can see the heavy Rose_NoHo influence in your posts. Hateful. Stupid. Arrogant. Hypocritical.

Nice! She'll be proud.

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
We can see the heavy Rose_NoHo influence in your posts. Hateful. Stupid. Arrogant. Hypocritical.
Nice! She'll be proud.
Relax, Hater.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
There is the question of how likely that will happen as well as the question about some of those states doing away with their bans on SSM thus increasing the required number of states left needing to pass one for an amendment to the US Constitution.

I'm inclined to believe there won't be any such amendment added to the Constitution in the current climate. It is arguable that right now there are 7 states with the potential climate for such an event, then again there are 2 states that may reverse their position.
It is HIGHLY unlikely. The point being made is to point out this fantasy that SSM is "sweeping the nation" and popular opinion is swiftly changing. If that were true, the SSM crowd wouldn't be putting so much faith in a sweeping decision from the SCOTUS. Fact is, without such a decision you are stuck at possibly 19 States unless citizens of the 31 States with bans vote to amend their Constitutions again. Personally I think the fight to convince a politician to legislate favorably towards SSM is much easier than doing the same with the citizenry to reverse themselves.

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
It is HIGHLY unlikely. The point being made is to point out this fantasy that SSM is "sweeping the nation" and popular opinion is swiftly changing. If that were true, the SSM crowd wouldn't be putting so much faith in a sweeping decision from the SCOTUS. Fact is, without such a decision you are stuck at possibly 19 States unless citizens of the 31 States with bans vote to amend their Constitutions again. Personally I think the fight to convince a politician to legislate favorably towards SSM is much easier than doing the same with the citizenry to reverse themselves.
You make that statement as though anyone in American as the right to vote on others rights. Besides, you assume all the ignorant haters who voted against other Americanís rights will be alive or able to do the same in the future. If you werenít such an arrogant, self-important windbag you might pause long enough to realize that. The USA is changing whether you like it or not. And there will be Gay Marriage Rights in all 50 states whether you ďvoteĒ for it or it gets jammed down your throat. Pontificate on that douche bag.
a takeover

Dinuba, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Ummmm hmmmm

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Back in the days before widespread media access, the nation went from passing an amendment to prohibit the sale and use of alcohol to allowing the sale and use of alcohol in a period of 13 years.

That's a pretty quick change of heart for an entire nation, don't you think?

The pace of the momentum to support same-sex marriage has quickened over the past decade. People's minds have changed considerably, as indicated by every reliable statistic and poll on the subject.

What people felt about gays and gay rights ten years ago have changed. You can't deny that.

The LGBT Community and its allies have made great headway into demystifying who we are. So many of us have come out of the closet that most people now either have a family member or know someone closely who is gay.

One of the few positive outcomes of the HIV/AIDS crisis over the past 30 years has been to bring LGBT issues to the forefront. Since the disease largely began in the gay male community, we had to fight for political recognition in order to get adequate medical care and benefits that would help those who were suffering from the disease.

Rights and protections for LGBT people are now on the minds of most Americans. They either oppose them or support them. But unlike times in the past, they are at the very least thinking about LGBT issues.

That's progress...

Look... We all know where this is going to end. Same-Sex marriages will be legal throughout the U.S. within the decade, if not sooner. About 12 of the 25 First World Nations have passed laws that legalize Same-Sex Marriage.

Can you see a trend?

It's only a matter of time.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and another thing... We aren't necessarily putting our faith in the Supreme Court's decision.

If the Supreme Court comes back and upholds DOMA and Prop. 8, don't think for one second that the LGBT community will run for the hills, tails between our legs.

We're hopeful that the Supreme Court makes it easy on us so that we don't have to pursue the issue for the next 10 or so years. But we're willing to stay the course and go the distance.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
You make that statement as though anyone in American as the right to vote on others rights.
You must first make marriage a "right". So long as the Government has the power to regulate, define, and sanction the act of marriage it is nothing more than a PRIVILEGE!!

And since in this country the "Government" is WE THE PEOPLE, we certainly have to RIGHT to VOTE on how our government will regulate, define, and sanction a PRIVILEGE!

Now if you are truly interested in once again making marriage a "RIGHT" I am behind you 100%, but since you aren't you are on your own.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and another thing... We aren't necessarily putting our faith in the Supreme Court's decision.
If the Supreme Court comes back and upholds DOMA and Prop. 8, don't think for one second that the LGBT community will run for the hills, tails between our legs.
We're hopeful that the Supreme Court makes it easy on us so that we don't have to pursue the issue for the next 10 or so years. But we're willing to stay the course and go the distance.
Isn't it funny how you base the quality of a Supreme Court decision on if you get your way or not and not on the constitutionality of the decision?

BTW, your opinion on the direction of this country is irrelevant to this discussion. The Constitution isn't changed by social changes, it is changed through the Amendment process.

Oh, and another thing. If the SCOTUS upholds DOMA based on the opinion of the lower court which is- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT LACKS THE ENUMERATED POWER TO DEFINE MARRIAGE, IT IS A STATE ISSUE PER THE 10th AMENDMENT OF THE US CONSTITUTION-- how then can they possibly mandate, as a federal entity, to the State how it defines marriage? The two decision are completely contradictory.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
Relax, Hater.
If I get any more relaxed, I'll turn into rubber tough guy.

Why are you a hypocrite?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
You make that statement as though anyone in American as the right to vote on others rights. Besides, you assume all the ignorant haters who voted against other Americanís rights will be alive or able to do the same in the future. If you werenít such an arrogant, self-important windbag you might pause long enough to realize that. The USA is changing whether you like it or not. And there will be Gay Marriage Rights in all 50 states whether you ďvoteĒ for it or it gets jammed down your throat. Pontificate on that douche bag.
Too funny!

Try and relax, Fruitcake.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Back in the days before widespread media access, the nation went from passing an amendment to prohibit the sale and use of alcohol to allowing the sale and use of alcohol in a period of 13 years.
That's a pretty quick change of heart for an entire nation, don't you think?
The pace of the momentum to support same-sex marriage has quickened over the past decade. People's minds have changed considerably, as indicated by every reliable statistic and poll on the subject.
What people felt about gays and gay rights ten years ago have changed. You can't deny that.
The LGBT Community and its allies have made great headway into demystifying who we are. So many of us have come out of the closet that most people now either have a family member or know someone closely who is gay.
One of the few positive outcomes of the HIV/AIDS crisis over the past 30 years has been to bring LGBT issues to the forefront. Since the disease largely began in the gay male community, we had to fight for political recognition in order to get adequate medical care and benefits that would help those who were suffering from the disease.
Rights and protections for LGBT people are now on the minds of most Americans. They either oppose them or support them. But unlike times in the past, they are at the very least thinking about LGBT issues.
That's progress...
Look... We all know where this is going to end. Same-Sex marriages will be legal throughout the U.S. within the decade, if not sooner. About 12 of the 25 First World Nations have passed laws that legalize Same-Sex Marriage.
Can you see a trend?
It's only a matter of time.
Too wordy.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it funny how you base the quality of a Supreme Court decision on if you get your way or not and not on the constitutionality of the decision?
BTW, your opinion on the direction of this country is irrelevant to this discussion. The Constitution isn't changed by social changes, it is changed through the Amendment process.
Oh, and another thing. If the SCOTUS upholds DOMA based on the opinion of the lower court which is- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT LACKS THE ENUMERATED POWER TO DEFINE MARRIAGE, IT IS A STATE ISSUE PER THE 10th AMENDMENT OF THE US CONSTITUTION-- how then can they possibly mandate, as a federal entity, to the State how it defines marriage? The two decision are completely contradictory.
1.) You keep saying that the Constitution isn't changed by way of social input. Rather, there is a specific process through which change must occur. However, where do you think the specific process begins? I'll tell you... It's through grassroots efforts, election processes, and political wins that put lawmakers in power to amend the Constitution.

2.) You say that marriage is a states issue. But when the Supreme Court heard the Loving case, they found that the state of Virginia's laws against interracial marriage were unconstitutional. Their decision didn't change state laws, but it in essence made them unenforceable.

3.) The Supreme Court's role is to interpret the Constitution. And any activity that occurs in the U.S. is open for interpretation by the Supreme Court. The Court would be within its power to look at the law in CA that denies same-sex couples the right to marry and determine that it is Unconstitutional--just like in the Loving case.

4.) If states then want to try to muster the power to create an Amendment against same-sex marriage, then good luck with that. It failed before 7 years ago and failed under what was probably one of the most conservative points in recent history. I just don't think the political atmosphere is such that an amendment would pass now.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palm Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 20 hr Donny B 7,922
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Tue matches lighters 15,961
Review: Profix Jewerly And Watch Repair Mon Jonnie S 1
Tony Casas, 77; Former Prisons Official Worked ... (Sep '07) Mon sex 692
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Aug 24 Mono 4,996
City Manager Martin Magana hires Charles "Chuck... Aug 21 Commander Bunny 9
Touch Of Class Consignments, Cathedral City, ca. (Aug '13) Aug 19 Ned 123
•••
•••
Palm Springs Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Palm Springs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••