Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
166,381 - 166,400 of 200,356 Comments Last updated 31 min ago

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if it is so much of a race, as a guarantee. I think if given enough time a majority of the States will adopt a form of same sex union, be it Marriage, or a Civil Union with the same benefits.
Now, the other side of the coin is that the SCOTUS makes another sweeping decision forcing all states into compliance, forcing the adoption of same sex marriage. This will cause 31 States which have adopted Constitutional Amendments to strictly define marriage as one man and one woman to feel disenfranchised, at a time when many feel that was as it is. A majority of the country is quite ticked off at Washington DC, and there is a push towards State right's and returning to the republican form of government our founders gave us. This could just be the straw that breaks the proverbial camels back.
My guess is that some of these states will attempt to pass nullification laws--claiming that the Supreme Court has overstepped its boundaries. But to my knowledge, no state has ever successfully been able to maintain a nullification law to override the Supreme Court.

The lawmakers here in TN are trying to pass a law that would allow local and state police to arrest and charge federal agents who might attempt to enforce any gun laws that TN lawmakers believes violates the Constitution. I say, "good luck with that".

I don't think you'll see a rush by all states to fight a sweeping Supreme Court decision.

Like I said earlier; too many states are headed towards legalizing same-sex marriage. Lawmakers in many of these states will take it as a welcome opportunity to have the decision made by someone else. They don't want to piss off those who support same-sex marriage and they don't want to piss off those who don't support it. So they'll just shrug their shoulders and say to their constituents, "It's out of our hands."

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
There are 9 states and the District of Columbia that recognize same sex marriage. Six of those states have passed laws in the past 4 years. So it seems like the momentum is to pass laws that allow same-sex marriage, rather than to deny them.
Considering that only 1 State- Maine- has passed same sex marriage by popular vote I would hardly call it a "trend change."

But I do agree that public opinion is slowing changing, what you underestimate is the backlash should this change be forced by the SCOTUS. Think about it, Prop 8 was just such a backlash from a decision. So historically this is true. I honestly think had Prop 22 been allowed to stand in California, and Prop 8 was introduced with the only difference being to repeal prop 22, this wouldn't be in the judiciary at the moment. I am certain there were people that really had no interest in the issue that simply voted for Prop 8 to say f-u to the court, as well as this feeling- real or imagined- that this issue is being shoved down their throats.

The same is being seen with the resistance States are giving to "Obama Care." The American public can be very spiteful.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
For example, every Republican law maker in the state of Rhode Island supports gay marriage.
You mean all 5 of them?

Seriously, this is more an exercise in politics. They are in a VERY liberal State, and to vote otherwise would surely ensure their demise.

That would be like a Democrat running as a mouth piece for gun control in Alaska and thinking they stood a chance at being elected.

It seems sometimes you really don't think things through.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Do all straight people speak for you? Are there differing opinions re: same-sex marriage within the straight community? Why would you think that all gay people speak with a unified voice?
Like she said, you have to hide behind lies...

BTW, generally it is assumed that homosexuals make up about 4% of the population, straight 96%. So with only 4% you have a limited pool to pull from, I suggest you choose your spokespeople a little more carefully. BTW, her comments were met with HUGE applause, so I would say at least a size-able portion agree with her.

But in all honesty I don't give a damn about the agenda, I just find it funny how quickly you guys will throw someone under the bus.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering that only 1 State- Maine- has passed same sex marriage by popular vote I would hardly call it a "trend change."
But I do agree that public opinion is slowing changing, what you underestimate is the backlash should this change be forced by the SCOTUS. Think about it, Prop 8 was just such a backlash from a decision. So historically this is true. I honestly think had Prop 22 been allowed to stand in California, and Prop 8 was introduced with the only difference being to repeal prop 22, this wouldn't be in the judiciary at the moment. I am certain there were people that really had no interest in the issue that simply voted for Prop 8 to say f-u to the court, as well as this feeling- real or imagined- that this issue is being shoved down their throats.
The same is being seen with the resistance States are giving to "Obama Care." The American public can be very spiteful.
<quoted text>
You mean all 5 of them?
Seriously, this is more an exercise in politics. They are in a VERY liberal State, and to vote otherwise would surely ensure their demise.
That would be like a Democrat running as a mouth piece for gun control in Alaska and thinking they stood a chance at being elected.
Well, it would be up to the lawmakers in those states to try to pass an Amendment to the Constitution--not the voters. So, I'm not so concerned about what individual voters might or might not do.

And you seem to forget that Proposition 8 will be five years old come November. And the backlash to that backlash has been the overwhelming support of CA voters who would not likely vote for such a ballot today.

Times have changed considerably. Republican lawmakers at all levels have changed their personal views re: same-sex marriage. And many of these lawmakers DO NOT want to be forced to stand against same-sex marriage. They would welcome the Supreme Court's ability to make a sweeping decision.

I stand by my predictions.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Like she said, you have to hide behind lies...
BTW, generally it is assumed that homosexuals make up about 4% of the population, straight 96%. So with only 4% you have a limited pool to pull from, I suggest you choose your spokespeople a little more carefully. BTW, her comments were met with HUGE applause, so I would say at least a size-able portion agree with her.
But in all honesty I don't give a damn about the agenda, I just find it funny how quickly you guys will throw someone under the bus.
Oh, I see you guys throwing straight supporters of same-sex marriage under the bus all the time. It's hardly gruesome.

And nobody knows exactly how many gay people there are in this country.

Not everyone who participates in homosexual activity thinks of his/herself as gay. Many closeted gays would admit to being gay, even though they have attractions to members of the same gender.

So you're probably not going to get an accurate count anytime soon.

Nevertheless, you can rest assured that most in the LGBT community AND our heterosexual allies do, in fact, support same-sex marriage.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

wohoooo....i like this news
Frankie Rizzo

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

John-Albert wrote:
wohoooo....i like this news
Welcome to the thread, queer-o. You swallow or just spit?
Some Never Came Home

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You mean all 5 of them?
Yes,it seems sometimes you really don't think things through! Sorry OH great one but there have now been 3 states that have passed Marriage equality by popular vote! Now,are you lying or was it an honest mistake on the part of your ignorance? Geez,and we all thought you knew it all! Care to try again?

3 states by popular vote,Maine,Maryland and Washington state!

www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-usa-cam...

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm aware there are a number of fake, imposter, sterile, duplicate half of marriage pretendies, but no such thing as a 'ss marriage'.
Smile.
<quoted text>
However, I've never proclaimed myself as half of anything. A genetic chimera has the full DNA of two people, and no epi-marker mistakes like homosexuals. We are however both sexual mutations.
Smile.
Oh look KiMare you have a 'pretendie' marriage. It's not generally legal for a three person union.
SSM cannot be fake, imposter, duplicate as marriage is what the law says it is... yes that's the reality. When the law says two people are legally married and have a marriage license then they are married... not faking or pretending. Marriage is defined by law and laws are constantly redefined... it's called progress. Unless of course you are referencing marriage to 'God's law' and the Bible, are you? In which case marriage is two-fold, the civil/legal and the religious side. The former is what we're talking about with regards to SSM; the latter is a matter of a person's faith and up to that person's church, not up to general laws.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
What's also clear is that he/she has no grasp of logic, or original thought. I'm sure that you noticed the absolute reliance on a Chongo-type insult? This one's a small fry, playing at being an adult..
Smile.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm aware there are a number of fake, imposter, sterile, duplicate half of marriage pretendies, but no such thing as a 'ss marriage'.
Smile.
<quoted text>
It's clear you have no argument with the defunct stance of ss couples with marriage.
However, I've never proclaimed myself as half of anything. A genetic chimera has the full DNA of two people, and no epi-marker mistakes like homosexuals. We are however both sexual mutations. You however are in denial about it.
Smile.
Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
So, by your proclamation you have a Lesbian trapped inside of you. If thatís the case then you have an epi-marker mistake, true?
You lied about my last 'proclamation', now you are showing your ignorance by your next claimed 'proclamation' by me.

Look up the difference between a genetic chimera and epi-genetics.

You are by default, admitting you are a sexual defect. Come out. Facing reality bravely is the first step to real life. Admit it.

Smile.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I see you guys throwing straight supporters of same-sex marriage under the bus all the time. It's hardly gruesome.
And nobody knows exactly how many gay people there are in this country.
Not everyone who participates in homosexual activity thinks of his/herself as gay. Many closeted gays would admit to being gay, even though they have attractions to members of the same gender.
So you're probably not going to get an accurate count anytime soon.
Nevertheless, you can rest assured that most in the LGBT community AND our heterosexual allies do, in fact, support same-sex marriage.
The fact remains, that one of your own has admitted the inherent harm and perverse goals of this farce. All the things you deny.

SMirk.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Stocking wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh look KiMare you have a 'pretendie' marriage. It's not generally legal for a three person union.
SSM cannot be fake, imposter, duplicate as marriage is what the law says it is... yes that's the reality. When the law says two people are legally married and have a marriage license then they are married... not faking or pretending. Marriage is defined by law and laws are constantly redefined... it's called progress. Unless of course you are referencing marriage to 'God's law' and the Bible, are you? In which case marriage is two-fold, the civil/legal and the religious side. The former is what we're talking about with regards to SSM; the latter is a matter of a person's faith and up to that person's church, not up to general laws.
Nice try socks.

The slut lesbian is not on the marriage license. In fact, I have to cover her one eye when I'm with my wife.

Marriage existed long before any laws of society. The sole purpose of law is to protect the birthplace of society's children. Mating behavior has the strongest impact on marriage. Culture and religion would be next.

At it's most basic essence, marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior.

Ss couples are a defective failure of mating behavior. A sterile duplicated half of marriage. It is an insult to intelligence to equate the two.

Smile.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Counting on? I am not counting on anything, I merely point out a fact. But we know you don't deal in reality.
BTW, those States I am "counting on", would those be the same states which have already adopted Constitutional Amendments which would mimic that of a US Constitutional Amendment? Those are the ones that would do what they have already done?
Oh, and these 31 States, they are going to come much harder to the SSM crowd. If the SCOTUS does not make a sweeping decision, it will take another vote of the people to once again Amend their Constitution, it will not be as simple as blasting the court or the State Legislature with lobbyist's.
Did you point out the fact that California should NOT be counted as one of your 31 of which you only need 7 more than? It would never ever get past Californiaís legislature?

Did you point out the fact it would not get Nevada either? That one is going to be overturned

Oregon is no also on the path to having their ban overturned too

You ignore facts like the plague

You would need to conjure up a lot more than 7

It isnít going to happen, you canít stop freedom and justice that easily

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact remains, that one of your own has admitted the inherent harm and perverse goals of this farce. All the things you deny.
SMirk.
"One of my own..."? Who am I, the Grand Duchess of the LGBT Community?

If the figures are correct, some 21,000,000 straight allies of the gay community support same-sex marriage.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try socks.
The slut lesbian is not on the marriage license. In fact, I have to cover her one eye when I'm with my wife.
Marriage existed long before any laws of society. The sole purpose of law is to protect the birthplace of society's children. Mating behavior has the strongest impact on marriage. Culture and religion would be next.
At it's most basic essence, marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior.
Ss couples are a defective failure of mating behavior. A sterile duplicated half of marriage. It is an insult to intelligence to equate the two.
Smile.
Slut, is that the term you use for someoneís spouse now?

I know you are a follower of the golden rule, you treat others the way you want to be treated. I will remember to always refer to your wife as a slut from this point forward to make you happy.

Whether you understand it or not, whether you like it or not, there are same sex marriages, legal same sex marriages, as legal as yours or mine.

It doesnít matter whether you comprehend it or not, it doesnít matter whether you like it or not.

There are

And I will treat your marriage exactly how you treat theirs.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
"One of my own..."? Who am I, the Grand Duchess of the LGBT Community?
If the figures are correct, some 21,000,000 straight allies of the gay community support same-sex marriage.
I am glad you mentioned that, Same sex marriage would not be advancing without the support of heterosexuals.

I think there are more heterosexual supporters of same sex marriage, then there are homosexual... think about that.

More voters in the US today support same sex marrage than oppose it

You are not alone

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
....I have to cover her one eye when I'm with my wife.

Smile.
You need not bother; your wife has to cover both eyes in order to be with you. It's easier to imagine the lesbian that way.
uncle

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

hi
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
...I think there are more heterosexual supporters of same sex marriage, then there are homosexual...
Of course there are dummy.(Duh). But no thanks to you. Your angry condescending nonsense is counterproductive.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Palm Springs Discussions

Search the Palm Springs Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 14 min Ban Central Station 4,892
Tony Casas, 77; Former Prisons Official Worked ... (Sep '07) 13 hr Tammie Casas is Fat 640
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Mon snodder 2,252
desert hot springs, ca. unkept yards Jul 27 Ron 3
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Jul 27 Twilight sun 7,848
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Jul 27 Facts facts 15,927
Review: Rich's Painting Jul 23 Spectacular job 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Palm Springs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Palm Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE