Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,244)

Showing posts 164,861 - 164,880 of200,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the moron that says you wonít support your own argument, I asked if you were going to be active, get signatures for a ballot measure or what have you, and you said no.
You once said that you personally are not interested in Poly at all for yourself. So what exactly is your obsession with it in a forum about prop 8 that will not affect poly in any way whatsoever still as illegal as it was before prop 8 and will still be after prop 8 is overturned?
What exactly is your obsession with it?
I know the answer of course, so does everyone else.
But you sure donít like it when we call you on it ( which of course is why we do )
I simply want to discuss marriage equality. What is your obsession with assigning me motives?

You were discussing space travel this morning. Have you traveled in space? If not, by your logic you shouldn't be allowed to discuss it.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
you have. you have had responses. now you're down to repeating yourself. move along to other points you may have.
Most responses have been dishonest and/or hypocritical. Many SSM supporters here are hypocrites. And many are liars. And that is my main point. I will continue to make it. Maybe it's time for you to "move along to other points" though.

Polygamy deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex marriage.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
i actually have to agree with you on this one post.
Drat! I'm slipping! You jackasses are agreeing with me.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I simply want to discuss marriage equality. What is your obsession with assigning me motives?
You were discussing space travel this morning. Have you traveled in space? If not, by your logic you shouldn't be allowed to discuss it.
For what reason? Why are you so interested in Poly when it is not something you are interested in yourself.

It isnít a crazy question, I am very interested in Same Sex marriage however I am personally not affected by it at all. Because I actually believe in the American values of justice, freedom and equality regardless of Race, Creed, Color, Sex, Religion, Orientation or National origin, that also happens to be the reason I would vote in favor of poly, country before religion.( well for me almost anything before religion )

But this is different, Prop 8 is not about Poly, it was illegal before, Illegal during, and will still be illegal when Prop 8 is overturned.

When we say we would support poly you go straight to incest, which is blow by blow the slippery slope argument from the religious nut jobs we have been hearing for years.

If it waddles like a duck, and looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, you can be fairly sure.. it is a duck.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Most responses have been dishonest and/or hypocritical. Many SSM supporters here are hypocrites. And many are liars. And that is my main point. I will continue to make it. Maybe it's time for you to "move along to other points" though.
Polygamy deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex marriage.
your points have been made and noted. obviously many disagree with you. is this all you have to add to the discussion regarding the judge overturning Prop 8? do you have anything pertinent to say regarding possible SCOTUS rulings or findings?

Prop 8 dealt with the definition of marriage being a man and a woman - and the couples that brought the trial forward are same sex couples - not a poly-marriage group. all facts presented in court, all expert testimony presented in court is based upon the those that brought the suit forward by being same sex couples. there was never anything included in any discussion, except in your desire to divert the discussion, in regards to poly-marriage of any sort.

do you have anything pertinent to add to the discussion with respect to the judge's findings on any level? any of the facts presented? any of the experts or their testimony in court? the appeal? SCOTUS's hearings? anything along those lines?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the moron that says you wonít support your own argument, I asked if you were going to be active, get signatures for a ballot measure or what have you, and you said no.
You once said that you personally are not interested in Poly at all for yourself. So what exactly is your obsession with it in a forum about prop 8 that will not affect poly in any way whatsoever still as illegal as it was before prop 8 and will still be after prop 8 is overturned?
What exactly is your obsession with it?
I know the answer of course, so does everyone else.
But you sure donít like it when we call you on it ( which of course is why we do )
So if I am not out in my wheelchair gathering signatures I cannot discuss it? Please show me where you found that rule and please tell me why would I observe that stupid rule?

Do you mention Mars to the school kiddies? STOP! you have never been to Mars! You are not allowed to discuss it!

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen it blamed on a "crazed homosexual" on one of these wholesome and friendly topix threads.
Maybe Obama really did do it. Or Bush!
Bush did it...puhlease...it would have been Cheney! snark!

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I dunno. Shouldn't be that hard. I don't want to discuss the technicalities of implementing it, only the concept as it applies to marriage equality.
I think poly should be allowed. I also think incest marriage should be allowed. I get a lot of weird and fervent resistance which I attribute to hypocrisy. I try to reveal that hypocrisy. I get shouted down. It's passes the time when I'm bored.
but sibling cannot get married now, regardless of their gender, so htat argument makes no sense.

if hte details of hte polygamous marriage are nto worked out, how can you say it would be equal? three wives getting the same survivor benefits for SS? not equal to my marriage...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
your points have been made and noted. obviously many disagree with you. is this all you have to add to the discussion regarding the judge overturning Prop 8? do you have anything pertinent to say regarding possible SCOTUS rulings or findings?
Prop 8 dealt with the definition of marriage being a man and a woman - and the couples that brought the trial forward are same sex couples - not a poly-marriage group. all facts presented in court, all expert testimony presented in court is based upon the those that brought the suit forward by being same sex couples. there was never anything included in any discussion, except in your desire to divert the discussion, in regards to poly-marriage of any sort.
do you have anything pertinent to add to the discussion with respect to the judge's findings on any level? any of the facts presented? any of the experts or their testimony in court? the appeal? SCOTUS's hearings? anything along those lines?
My point is simple. Supporting same sex marriage but not polygamy is hypocritical.

The fact that it makes you and Big D angry is just more evidence that it is hypocritical.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Bush did it...puhlease...it would have been Cheney! snark!
I notice Obama in his second term has stopped saying he inherited a bad economy.

Look at the Middle East before and after Obama.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is simple. Supporting same sex marriage but not polygamy is hypocritical.
The fact that it makes you and Big D angry is just more evidence that it is hypocritical.
ok. so you stated your opinion. keep in mind, everyone has the same right as you to form their own opinion.

and i'm far from angry. strangers on the internet do not have that capacity to control my emotions. you just don't like being called out on your slipperly slope arguments as big d is doing.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of prop 8 "marriage is one man one woman only" confuses you?

Prop 8 discriminates against polygamy the same as it does against same sex marriage. You know, equally. It's a simple concept really. "one" means exactly what it says.

Don't hog all the victimhood.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
So if I am not out in my wheelchair gathering signatures I cannot discuss it? Please show me where you found that rule and please tell me why would I observe that stupid rule?
Do you mention Mars to the school kiddies? STOP! you have never been to Mars! You are not allowed to discuss it!
It isnít that you arenít allowed to discuss it Frankie, you can say whatever you want here, and we can laugh at you for it, the same as you laugh at us for anything and everything we say. Donít pretend you donít it is far too late for that.

That isnít the point, the point is if you are going to use the decades old standard playbook against same sex marriage, word for word that we have been hearing for years... donít be too surprised when we call you on it.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>but sibling cannot get married now, regardless of their gender, so htat argument makes no sense.
if hte details of hte polygamous marriage are nto worked out, how can you say it would be equal? three wives getting the same survivor benefits for SS? not equal to my marriage...
Why can't siblings marry? First cousins can in many states.

Siblings should be allowed to marry. After all, procreation is irrelevant to marriage. Right? right.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is simple claiming to support same sex marriage or poly when you actually arenít is hypocritical

and this is from someone that would, and has voted for same sex marriage and will vote in favor of Poly if and when it ever comes up.

I am willing to wager I am more in favor of Poly than you are, it is just that you are more obsessed with the subject because you think you can use it against same sex marriage.

I am less interested in it because I donít think it will be possible for at least a decade. Same was true of same sex marriage 10 years ago.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Siblings should be allowed to marry. After all, procreation is irrelevant to marriage. Right? right.
if you want to change that law, go ahead, but it doesn't wash with the marriage equality argument...
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the next paragraph in the decades old religious nut jobs pamphlet opposed to Same Sex marriage.

First you bring up Poly, then you move straight to Incest.

Ya ya... heard it all before.

You arenít scaring anyone other than those that are so brain bound by religion they would not be in favor of same sex marriage anyone, that argument wonít work on anyone with a pinch of intelligence left.

Your problem is you are playing to your constituency, those already opposed to same sex marriage, you wonít convince any of the majority to oppose same sex marriage with that kind of tactic.

Same reason Republicans arenít winning the presidency, they are playing only to their out of touch constituency and not the majority of voters.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>but sibling cannot get married now, regardless of their gender, so htat argument makes no sense.
Why shouldn't same sex siblings be allowed to marry? Same sex first cousins in SSM/FCM states can, what would be the reasoning to prohibit same sex siblings?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>if you want to change that law, go ahead, but it doesn't wash with the marriage equality argument...
Sure it does. Opposite sex siblings are prohibited from marrying due the possibility of sexual reproductive birth defects. No such risk with ANY same sex sibling pairing, so why should such a prohibition remain in place?
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of prop 8 "marriage is one man one woman only" confuses you?
Prop 8 discriminates against polygamy the same as it does against same sex marriage. You know, equally. It's a simple concept really. "one" means exactly what it says.
Don't hog all the victimhood.
no where in the court cases was polygamy included or even discussed. it was not included. i'm not going to project and guess why or why not.

what we can discuss is what is really pertinent to the Prop 8 case - what is documented via court documents to be a consideration. that's the topic of this thread - the judge's findings in the Prop 8 trial.

if you want to discuss polygamy - then show us where in the court documents that it's discussed, included or mentioned. specifically.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 164,861 - 164,880 of200,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Palm Springs Discussions

Search the Palm Springs Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 8 hr PMS will get yeah 7,821
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 12 hr all doned in 4,864
Tony Casas, 77; Former Prisons Official Worked ... (Sep '07) Sat Big Juciey Pussie 630
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Sat The right is wrong 2,225
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Jul 11 This topics peaked 15,911
Touch Of Class Consignments, Cathedral City, ca. (Aug '13) Jul 6 Sandy 118
US: Afghan vote step forward on 'democratic path' Jul 4 Rho 9
•••
•••
•••
•••

Palm Springs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Palm Springs People Search