Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,206)

Showing posts 164,101 - 164,120 of199,080
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
It's opposite sex couples, let's not ignore bisexuals who marry someone of the opposite sex, and other mixed orientation OSMs.
<quoted text>
See, more than one way to view the issue.
<quoted text>
Wow! A compliment form H&M. Grazie. Think about it, if sex, the coital kind didn't make babies, would marriage even exist? Would it matter who married who? Married people do have better sex, btw, and more often.
over the yrs, marriage has evolved - from the pr-arranged and forced type back in the dark ages, or the type where one man married several wives, to what we have now - something entirely voluntary (on the average - i'm sure there's some folks that are forced, somewhere in this world). married is a desirable state for many reasons, i think we can all agree on that - otherwise there'd be no debate about who could or couldn't get married.

in modern times (lets say the last 100 yrs or so), it isn't so much of a sexual necessity. particularly in the 40-45 yrs. its no longer a primary reason to marry someone (although i do know of one couple back in the late 80s who refrained from sex before marriage - and she was having such a difficult time getting the arrangements done, i suggested she just delay the wedding a couple months to get all the details just right. she responded with "we just can't wait" i literally fell off the sofa laughing so hard, particularly at the look on her face. sadly, they divorced within 4 yrs.) since folks regularly have premarital or extramarital sex. for a number of reasons.

humans are humans. we all have the same set of emotions and feelings. we all pretty much have the same needs.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
There are some LGBT promoting gay polygamy. There was an article in The Advocate about them.
Why is it OK for you to "draw the line"? Isn't that exactly what those opposed to same sex marriage are doing?
What harm would a loving marriage of three consenting adult men cause you?
Poly MARRIAGE deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex MARRIAGE.
Frank, I think I've said this to you before. The legal recognition of plural marriages is not a part of the current fight in the US.

Some people--both gay and straight--may wish to bring this to court at some point in the future.

It isn't something that I am personally interested in and would not fight to legalize plural marriages.

That isn't to say that I would go out and rally against people who wish to pursue the legalization of such unions; I'm just not going to support it.

I think the LGBT community has enough to deal with in getting a couple legally married to worry about getting multiple-member relationships recognized.

It's just not my fight...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Cat Purrs wrote:
<quoted text> Well if it isn't Spankie Frankie. What's the matter, did you get kicked out of the Cafe again?
No. You did jackass, remember?

What a dope!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage
Wow! You're coming along Jizzy! Catching up with the rest of us finally.

Yes. That is the topic. Now please try to keep your petty grudges and silly off topic banter out of it.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the reason for you opponents of same sex marriage, you are the ones worried about a limiting a definition.
Not I
Lying again Big D? Why?
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I fully understand their point. However, the LGBT community is fighting for one thing--equal marriage rights.
What people may or may not do in the future is no reason to prohibit same-gender couples from marrying.
I would be willing to bet that in the 1960s, when desegregation was happening and when interracial marriages began to take place, there were people just as worried that horrible things would happen as a result.
Granted, the transition for the African American community has not been smooth, but that is no reason to go back to the way things were before they were given freedoms.
Social change takes place over time.
The agriculture community in the South was hit hard when slavery was abolished. But, it was the right thing to do. To my knowledge, the south never really recovered from it.
I doubt the transition to same-gender marriage will result in such upheaval. Since it does not impact people who are not gay, then most people won't eve notice a difference.
True, the upheaval you are causing ( chuckle ) is minor, and shrinking every year.

There was more "upheaval" allowing women to vote.

I know what your community in general is trying to do, and I fully support that.

The ace you have up your sleeve is exactly what you mentioned, it harms no one, affects no one in a detrimental way. You would think businesses would be opposed having to give equal rights, but hundreds of businesses are now requesting not only Prop 8 overturned, but same sex marriage recognized nationally as they are having difficulty hiring and moving the right people to different locations while these different locations have different laws regarding same sex marriage.

You have already won, regardless of the Supreme courtís decision in June, I expect them to do the right thing ( although I only expect a narrow ruling regarding California only ) but the tide has turned.

Public support is with you, business support is with you, and now even your opponents primary political party is cracking on the issue. More are crossing over on the issue every week.

Now it is only a matter of time, I know it is hard to wait, and you should not need to, but you have already won, regardless of what the supreme court does... now it is only a matter of time.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
?? not sure why you're posting this to me, big d.
i've read the polls and know that now the majority of americans do support homosexual marriage. i'm glad the tides have turned.
Big D gets angry then he gets carried away and lashes out at everyome including proponents of SSM like you and I. He's silly like that. Silly! Blinded by passion!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank, I think I've said this to you before. The legal recognition of plural marriages is not a part of the current fight in the US.
Some people--both gay and straight--may wish to bring this to court at some point in the future.
It isn't something that I am personally interested in and would not fight to legalize plural marriages.
That isn't to say that I would go out and rally against people who wish to pursue the legalization of such unions; I'm just not going to support it.
I think the LGBT community has enough to deal with in getting a couple legally married to worry about getting multiple-member relationships recognized.
It's just not my fight...
Sorry. It is some o=polyamorists' fight. You don't get to dismiss it just like people against SSM don't get to dismiss your fight.

When I think of people who support SSM but not poly marriage, the first thing that comes to mind is "hypocrite". But perhaps you have a valid reason to deny marriage equality that I haven't heard yet?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope I have no desire to tell others what they cannot do while it causes no harm to anyone, it is my opponents that desire to do that.
Sure. So it's just hot air that you constantly blast from the mountaintop down to us? We should ignore it?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Frankie, you are not married
Don't try and get cute with me!
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry. It is some o=polyamorists' fight. You don't get to dismiss it just like people against SSM don't get to dismiss your fight.
When I think of people who support SSM but not poly marriage, the first thing that comes to mind is "hypocrite". But perhaps you have a valid reason to deny marriage equality that I haven't heard yet?
You are calling yourself a hypocrite

You arenít out getting signatures

You arenít out protesting with signs

You claim to support it, but you donít actively support it

so answer you own question, why are you such a hypocrite?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
The same reason we need iPhones, tablets, etc. we as a civilization advance and things change.
All the technological advances doesn't change the facts of life, and biology. Its quite simple actually.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I am saying I donít care what words you use to define my marriage.
I donít worry about your "acceptance" or "permission", you donít get to define my marriage, you are not that important.
The state did that McFly. It pronounced you husband AND wife, as it did for me and my wife. How you define it beyond that is up to you. So put the high and mighty Big D pontificating from on high, act, away.
No Speak

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Never mind it appears I'm dealing with a bunch Iranian's.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a Christian was once a taboo, letting women walk beside you was ( and still is in some cultures ) a taboo
we have no idea what will and will not be a "taboo" in the future, and it is not for us to decide
So let's go all Californication, at let it all hang out.
You donít get to be a tyrant and tell all future generations what is taboo and what is not. People in the past certainly did not have that power as it is no longer taboo to be a Christian for example.
The norms of the times are decided by the people of the times.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
For the nth time, I don't want to wheel out and get signatures or carry signs (is that what you're doing today?), I simply wish to discuss marriage equality.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
The state did that McFly. It pronounced you husband AND wife, as it did for me and my wife. How you define it beyond that is up to you. So put the high and mighty Big D pontificating from on high, act, away.
It's his best schtick. Mighty D! Funny.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Obskeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
The line has already been drawn by the gay rights lobby, and its right at their feet, with traditional marriage on their side of the line, and the rest of the perverted concepts of marriage on the other. Don't question them or challenge them because they are the ones that have the self appointed authority to dictate to the rest of us what we can and cannot believe. You must accept their argument, because it's their argument, and they are always right. Just ask them.
You're free to think gay couples shouldn't be married. Just like the Klan is free to think blacks are inferior. But someday you'll have to accept that they can marry legally in this country, just like the dullards in the Klan have to accept that the average person, black or white, is bound to possess a superior intellect compared to the average Klan member.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a riot Big D. So dramatic!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a trip! You compared all those situations to redefining marriage. Lame dodge, but ya didn't answer the question. Why is there a sudden need now to call a personal intimate same sex, male or female, sexual relationship, "marriage"? How the heck did our republic survive into the 21st century with the quaint notion that marriage is an exclusive monogamous relationship of husband and wife? Did men suddenly become pregnant? Women impregnating other women with sperm their own bodies produced?
It is because the human race has come to realise that homosexuality isn't a mental disorder or a disease (note that a lot of people still think it is) and that as living social beings they're entitled to find a partner for life. Marriage celebrates this accomplishment.

All those things (slavery, religious persecution, etc.) are pertinent for comparison because they represent the same type of social progress. Sorting out authentic right from genuine wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 164,101 - 164,120 of199,080
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Palm Springs Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Palm Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance