Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
162,861 - 162,880 of 200,349 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
My sincerest condolences to you and his family and other friends. From experience I know the sting suicide leaves behind.
Thank you, BTW, Sheesh, sorry to hear that..
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
No he targets only those that are for same sex marriage, and defends anyone opposed.
Which is fine, except he claims to be for Same sex marriage so he can try and dupe new folks into stupid comparisons.
We have seen it over and over and over…. so I just de-rail it before it starts and let them know he is trying to dupe them
But, we've all seen him go after either side.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
the only federal mandate regarding gay marraige, is the defense of marraige act......which is likely to be ruled unconstitutional soon.
True, and DOMA is in fact Unconstitutional.
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
you dont really think the court is going to mandate gay marrige on the federal level?? like with abortion??
I put nothing past the SCOTUS, they are drunk with power, and have been damn near the Marshall court.
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
just because they are considering the constitutionality of dOMA??
There are 2 cases under consideration. DOMA is but one.
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
they are a conservative court by nature.....not reallly an activist court.....like in 1973
I wouldn't go that far, they did rewrite Obama care to rule it Constitutional.
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
the least they can do is strike it down and send the issue back to the states to decide!!
That would be partially correct. I do think CA presents an interesting case though where I could see the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment coming into play as there are 2 classes of homosexuals, one group which is in fact legally married and another which can no longer enjoy that privilege. The only issue I really have with that being the decision is that this second class of homosexual would have been created by a ruling of the court, not a legislative or electoral process, and if in fact they rule that it is an issue left to the State's, than the previous decision by the court should also be tossed.
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
which is what is likely to happen...wouldnt you agree??
Again, I make no prediction, I can simply state what I believe is the Constitutional answer and provide sources to support my position. What the court does is anyone's guess.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got to say that I'm pretty stunned by your comments...
Straight people "come out" at a very young age; talking about their attractions to others. As they get older, they openly talk about their sexual conquests, marriages, attempts to get pregnant, etc.
There are entire television programs built on heterosexual love and sex. You see it on commercials (sex sells). You see it in print media.
We, rightly or wrongly, are bombarded by it.
So, if an individual "comes out" as being attracted to people of the same gender; it's a little hypocritical to call it "sexual harassment".
Besides, claiming one's orientation in our society today, is more of a statement of pride and self-acceptance. In an environment of hate and fear of gays, it is a way of saying to yourself and the community at large, "I will no longer abide by your archaic and ignorant demands!"
Furthermore, when a celebrity does this, it helps other young and other LGBT people to feel less isolated and more empowered.
I thought you were a reasonable person.
What happened?
Bragging and sharing stories with one's close circle of friends is entirely different than being a celebrity and using the media to announce your sexual orientation. Don't you agree? Besides, I've not heard of any heterosexual celebrities getting the waves and claiming "I'm straight", have you? It is a tactic dedicated solely to the public announcement of homosexuality. Nothing happened to make me any less reasonable that you thought me to be yesterday, Jared brought up the subject and I thought I'd comment on it. What is wrong with that? I haven't tried to use any media to announce my orientation, have you?
BeeBoop deluxe

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

North Korea is a LOW RENT district already, but if those idiots shot a cannon at themselves or some other stupid act of WAR, then the land will not be worth a plug nickel.

And the little dictator, 29 year old FOOL will lose his sand box all together to play tin-solder in.

Maybe the US and S. Korea will have to bring back Napalm to clean off the land in N. Korea.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not imposing my choice on you but you are on me. My marriage will never effect you directly but your choice to keep me from marrying does directly effect me. Big difference. You can have your beliefs but let me have mine as well.
This wasn't about the denial of "your" choice, it was about your denial of the right's of others.

You attempt to grasp at this "marriage is a right" but only in the case of homosexual and heterosexual two person unrelated unions.

What of poly-marriage and incestuous marriage? Are they any less in love? Should they be denied their happiness?

Sorry if I don't buy into your holier than though "I am fighting for equal right's" nonsense when you are really only interested in your own personal gain.

Me personally, my position is get government out of the marriage business, remove the benefits which in and of themselves do not treat people equally, and let people Unite in relationships as they choose.

I'm sorry that you are so upset that my position is far more one of "EQUALITY" and "INCLUSION for ALL" than your position.
CA BeeBoopDeluxe

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Since: Jan 10

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got to say that I'm pretty stunned by your comments...
Straight people "come out" at a very young age; talking about their attractions to others. As they get older, they openly talk about their sexual conquests, marriages, attempts to get pregnant, etc.
There are entire television programs built on heterosexual love and sex. You see it on commercials (sex sells). You see it in print media.
We, rightly or wrongly, are bombarded by it.
So, if an individual "comes out" as being attracted to people of the same gender; it's a little hypocritical to call it "sexual harassment".
Besides, claiming one's orientation in our society today, is more of a statement of pride and self-acceptance. In an environment of hate and fear of gays, it is a way of saying to yourself and the community at large, "I will no longer abide by your archaic and ignorant demands!"
Furthermore, when a celebrity does this, it helps other young and other LGBT people to feel less isolated and more empowered.
I thought you were a reasonable person.
What happened?
Very well said, unfortunately it’ll be lost on people with hate and ignorance in their hearts and minds.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
But, we've all seen him go after either side.
Last night I was accused of being a homophobe, then the very next post called me a queer.

One of my proudest Topix moments!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The vast majority of women who do try it don't.
Hence the difference in screams coming from gay bedrooms and hetero bedrooms...
Smile.
YUK!YUK!YUK!

How do you make your new girlfriend scream twice?- Do her in the a** then wipe your d*** on the curtains!
CA BeeBoopDeluxe

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

April 03, 2013 Wednesday meeting, live.

The Council Sierra Madre, Ca. Chamber's are poorly lit, must be that Vampire's don't like too much light, didn't see any mirror's hanging on the wall either.

Looks like the writing is on the walls, dump the SMPD and hire the L.A. County Sheriffs Department, more cars and uniforms on the street at half the cost.

Sierra Madre owes $2.4 million dollars.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

alice wrote:
<quoted text> Now I can marry my brother.
You're in the right state.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the 1,138 rights that straight couples have that gay couples don't. It's not the word we are fighting for.
Those aren't "right's" they are "privileges."

There is a difference, and one should no interchange the terms in a whimsical manner just to suit their argument.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

BeeBoop deluxe wrote:
North Korea is a LOW RENT district already, but if those idiots shot a cannon at themselves or some other stupid act of WAR, then the land will not be worth a plug nickel.
And the little dictator, 29 year old FOOL will lose his sand box all together to play tin-solder in.
Maybe the US and S. Korea will have to bring back Napalm to clean off the land in N. Korea.
People really are in denial of the China Factor.
CA BeeBoopDeluxe

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Since Mike Touhey sold off the land and made his special deals then skipped town with his money.

We believe that citizens do not want this and they must be allowed to vote on whether they want our city land sold.

It's about our land and once it's built, the trees are never returned.

It's forever.

We don't need to commercialize our Civic Center.

Since: Mar 12

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>This wasn't about the denial of "your" choice, it was about your denial of the right's of others.

You attempt to grasp at this "marriage is a right" but only in the case of homosexual and heterosexual two person unrelated unions.

What of poly-marriage and incestuous marriage? Are they any less in love? Should they be denied their happiness?

Sorry if I don't buy into your holier than though "I am fighting for equal right's" nonsense when you are really only interested in your own personal gain.

Me personally, my position is get government out of the marriage business, remove the benefits which in and of themselves do not treat people equally, and let people Unite in relationships as they choose.

I'm sorry that you are so upset that my position is far more one of "EQUALITY" and "INCLUSION for ALL" than your position.
I'm not stoping anyone from getting married but others are trying to stop me. How am I denying anyone anything??

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>YUK!YUK!YUK!

How do you make your new girlfriend scream twice?- Do her in the a** then wipe your d*** on the curtains!
LOL

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>Those aren't "right's" they are "privileges."

There is a difference, and one should no interchange the terms in a whimsical manner just to suit their argument.
How is it a privilege to be able to visit your spouse in a hospital if they are unconscious? I think that is a right? That's just one example. Get a clue what you are talking about before you spout off.
Jarheads

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Trenton, N.J.
Thirteen Rutgers University faculty members are demanding the resignation of university President Robert Barchi over his response to a video showing basketball coach Mike Rice hitting, shoving and berating his players with anti-gay slurs

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not stoping anyone from getting married but others are trying to stop me. How am I denying anyone anything??
You should stew on my post a bit longer, it might take you some time to absorb it.

Then again you are so self-absorbed as it is, it may not matter.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Palm Springs Discussions

Search the Palm Springs Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 1 hr Eainca 4,887
Tony Casas, 77; Former Prisons Official Worked ... (Sep '07) 3 hr Tammie Casas is Fat 640
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Mon snodder 2,252
desert hot springs, ca. unkept yards Sun Ron 3
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Sun Twilight sun 7,848
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Sun Facts facts 15,927
Review: Rich's Painting Jul 23 Spectacular job 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Palm Springs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Palm Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE