Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,187

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#186397 Apr 3, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
If I say to you, "I am gay." In what way is that vulgar? How have I committed a social misstep?
Making a statement about one's orientation is not an example of "letting it all hang out".
Maybe you long for the day, just like many LGBT people, when it's unnecessary to "come out".
As it is now, people assume that you're straight until you correct them.
Parents assume that they have heterosexual kids, yet we know that babies are being born this very second who are gay.
Like it or not, we live during a time when it is important to make ourselves known to larger society so that they no longer feel that it is OK to oppress and vilify gay people.
If we are going to live the happy lives that we are entitled to live, then we need to be sure that discrimination, ignorance, and hatred becomes a thing of the past.
You threw out several verses from scripture. I'm not sure of each one's intent.
However, I will respond to the last one; the one that mentions Sodom.
Why is it that you continue to believe that the sin of Sodom was homosexuality? Ezekiel 16:49 "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."
You propagate a myth when you associate homosexuality with the citizens of Sodom. Look at the story of how Lot dealt with the supposed gang of gay men who stood outside of his home and demanded that the angels be sent out so they could "rape" them.
Lot refused. Instead he offered is daughters.
Why would Lot believe that a group of gay men would be satisfied with women? It doesn't make sense does it?
And what does it say about Lot that he would offer his daughters to be raped? What kind of father would do such a thing?
And a little bit of reading about Lot's daughters show that they were a fairly twisted group themselves. They were worried that their father's lineage was going to end. So two of the daughters got him drunk, had sex with him, and became pregnant.
Why is that story not as outrageous to you as the myth about homosexuality?
VV, you do realize that you make the case that Sodom was one twisted city that had a horrible impact on Lot's family...

Especially considering that Lot was considered the righteous one.

Oh, and I suspect that Lot was choosing the lessor of two evils regarding his daughters, and did a check to see if homosexuals would change orientation if the tits were on the table.

Smile.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#186398 Apr 3, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Was it difficult to find this wikipedia article on incest?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incest
You claim marriage has nothing to do with having children, but here you seem to be justifying your belief in the incest taboo on the effects of inbreeding on children, what's up with that? Either marriage has nothing to do with posterity or it does; which is it?
<quoted text>So, there is no objection if a brother/sister couple use contraceptives?
<quoted text>Didn't you read the whole wikipedia article you quoted above? You are listing stories told early in the Bible, later two books, Leviticus and Deuteronomy both explicitly condemn closely related incest. Are you trying to tell a half-truth about the Bible to support your political goals? Do you think the history told in the first part of the Bible shape the Biblical laws listed in later books?
Look, you made a comment that religion condemns incest and they are the basis of our current laws forbidding the practice.

I simply pointed out that there are biological concerns and that incest was practiced in ancient times--even recorded by Biblical scholars.

Since incest is not the topic of this forum and I have no interest in incest, I will bow to your knowledge of the subject.

You seem concerned that I cherry-picked the Bible about laws concerning incest.

I will only throw out that you cherry-pick with regards to homosexuality. You guys have a death grip on the Mosaic laws concerning homosexuality. But you always seem to forget scripture which clearly says that we no longer live by the law. Rather, we live through the grace of Christ's death. This is why you see widespread consumption of lobster and shrimp; a complete lack of concern with regards to the treatment of menstruating women; lots of mixed vegetable gardens; men shaving products, etc.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#186399 Apr 3, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
VV, you do realize that you make the case that Sodom was one twisted city that had a horrible impact on Lot's family...
Especially considering that Lot was considered the righteous one.
Oh, and I suspect that Lot was choosing the lessor of two evils regarding his daughters, and did a check to see if homosexuals would change orientation if the tits were on the table.
Smile.
Again, you make absolutely no sense. "Tits on the table"? WTF?
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#186400 Apr 3, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
If I say to you, "I am gay." In what way is that vulgar? How have I committed a social misstep?
Making a statement about one's orientation is not an example of "letting it all hang out".
Maybe you long for the day, just like many LGBT people, when it's unnecessary to "come out".
As it is now, people assume that you're straight until you correct them.
Parents assume that they have heterosexual kids, yet we know that babies are being born this very second who are gay.
Like it or not, we live during a time when it is important to make ourselves known to larger society so that they no longer feel that it is OK to oppress and vilify gay people.
If we are going to live the happy lives that we are entitled to live, then we need to be sure that discrimination, ignorance, and hatred becomes a thing of the past.
You threw out several verses from scripture. I'm not sure of each one's intent.
However, I will respond to the last one; the one that mentions Sodom.
Why is it that you continue to believe that the sin of Sodom was homosexuality? Ezekiel 16:49 "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."
You propagate a myth when you associate homosexuality with the citizens of Sodom. Look at the story of how Lot dealt with the supposed gang of gay men who stood outside of his home and demanded that the angels be sent out so they could "rape" them.
Lot refused. Instead he offered is daughters.
Why would Lot believe that a group of gay men would be satisfied with women? It doesn't make sense does it?
And what does it say about Lot that he would offer his daughters to be raped? What kind of father would do such a thing?
And a little bit of reading about Lot's daughters show that they were a fairly twisted group themselves. They were worried that their father's lineage was going to end. So two of the daughters got him drunk, had sex with him, and became pregnant.
Why is that story not as outrageous to you as the myth about homosexuality?
veryvermilion.

Yes. I agree. Judging the worth of a man by his exploits in the bedroom - or in today's post 60s 70s era form, in the public square - rather than by what is written in his heart is in its most elemental form rebelling against he who made them male and female. According to the instruction manual:

"Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD." (Jeremiah 17:5)

"Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is." (Jeremiah 17:7)

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" (Jeremiah 17:9)

"I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings." (Jeremiah 17:10)

Ronald

Since: Mar 12

Milwaukee

#186403 Apr 3, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>STILL no logical counter to this fact;

A fruit tree bearing fruit.
A fruit tree not bearing fruit for some reason.
A nut tree who never bears fruit wanting to be a fruit tree.
A nut tree hanging fruit on it's branches pretending to be a fruit tree.

Even funnier?

The claim that if the government doesn't 'require' fruit trees to bear fruit, then it is discrimination not to call nut trees fruit trees too!

Ho, Ho, Ho, Hilarious!!!
So plants are the same as humans that's stupid.

Milwaukee

#186404 Apr 3, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I do. But Big D constantly harasses me with his dopey angry personal attacks. It's fun to respond. Get him going real good.

But let's get back on topic! I fully support marriage equality. Do you? Big D doesn't.

P.S. You never answered. Am I to assume I won't be invited to your wedding?
Yes I support marriage equality. Yes you can come to the wedding.

Milwaukee

#186405 Apr 3, 2013
KiMare wrote:

Even funnier?

The claim that if the government doesn't 'require' fruit trees to bear fruit, then it is discrimination not to call nut trees fruit trees too!

Ho, Ho, Ho, Hilarious!!!
Your starting this with STILL would elude me to think you have posted this in response to my posts before which you haven't. Pay attention A$$ Clown.
Bayers

Covina, CA

#186406 Apr 3, 2013
April 03, 2013, Wall Street drops on signs of weak USA economy, and world problems like North Korea.

Location hidden

#186407 Apr 3, 2013
KiMare wrote:

Even funnier?

Ho, Ho, Ho, Hilarious!!!
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
So plants are the same as humans that's stupid.
Never said they were. It's an analogy stupid.

Snicker.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#186408 Apr 3, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
:)

Location hidden

#186409 Apr 3, 2013
KiMare wrote:

Even funnier?

Ho, Ho, Ho, Hilarious!!!
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your starting this with STILL would elude me to think you have posted this in response to my posts before which you haven't. Pay attention A$$ Clown.
STILL was for you STILL have no argument for excluding children.

Anal sex is inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning.

Ass clown.

Smile.
Bayers

Covina, CA

#186410 Apr 3, 2013
Main-steaming
alice

Searcy, AR

#186411 Apr 3, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now I can marry my brother.
Anonymous

United States

#186412 Apr 3, 2013
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
Even funnier?
Ho, Ho, Ho, Hilarious!!!
<quoted text>
STILL was for you STILL have no argument for excluding children.
Anal sex is inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning.
Ass clown.
Smile.
Yeah, I have to say I've tried it, and I didn't find it pleasant=/
Bible-Thumper

Covina, CA

#186414 Apr 3, 2013
Wells Fargo & Co.(WFC), the most valuable U.S. bank, paid a board member’s son about $1.4 million last 2012 for his work in a unit responsible for investing deposits.

Location hidden

#186415 Apr 3, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I have to say I've tried it, and I didn't find it pleasant=/
The vast majority of women who do try it don't.

Hence the difference in screams coming from gay bedrooms and hetero bedrooms...

Smile.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#186416 Apr 3, 2013
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
My sincerest condolences to you and his family and other friends. From experience I know the sting suicide leaves behind.
Thank you, BTW, Sheesh, sorry to hear that..
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#186417 Apr 3, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
No he targets only those that are for same sex marriage, and defends anyone opposed.
Which is fine, except he claims to be for Same sex marriage so he can try and dupe new folks into stupid comparisons.
We have seen it over and over and over…. so I just de-rail it before it starts and let them know he is trying to dupe them
But, we've all seen him go after either side.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#186418 Apr 3, 2013
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
the only federal mandate regarding gay marraige, is the defense of marraige act......which is likely to be ruled unconstitutional soon.
True, and DOMA is in fact Unconstitutional.
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
you dont really think the court is going to mandate gay marrige on the federal level?? like with abortion??
I put nothing past the SCOTUS, they are drunk with power, and have been damn near the Marshall court.
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
just because they are considering the constitutionality of dOMA??
There are 2 cases under consideration. DOMA is but one.
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
they are a conservative court by nature.....not reallly an activist court.....like in 1973
I wouldn't go that far, they did rewrite Obama care to rule it Constitutional.
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
the least they can do is strike it down and send the issue back to the states to decide!!
That would be partially correct. I do think CA presents an interesting case though where I could see the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment coming into play as there are 2 classes of homosexuals, one group which is in fact legally married and another which can no longer enjoy that privilege. The only issue I really have with that being the decision is that this second class of homosexual would have been created by a ruling of the court, not a legislative or electoral process, and if in fact they rule that it is an issue left to the State's, than the previous decision by the court should also be tossed.
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
which is what is likely to happen...wouldnt you agree??
Again, I make no prediction, I can simply state what I believe is the Constitutional answer and provide sources to support my position. What the court does is anyone's guess.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#186419 Apr 3, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got to say that I'm pretty stunned by your comments...
Straight people "come out" at a very young age; talking about their attractions to others. As they get older, they openly talk about their sexual conquests, marriages, attempts to get pregnant, etc.
There are entire television programs built on heterosexual love and sex. You see it on commercials (sex sells). You see it in print media.
We, rightly or wrongly, are bombarded by it.
So, if an individual "comes out" as being attracted to people of the same gender; it's a little hypocritical to call it "sexual harassment".
Besides, claiming one's orientation in our society today, is more of a statement of pride and self-acceptance. In an environment of hate and fear of gays, it is a way of saying to yourself and the community at large, "I will no longer abide by your archaic and ignorant demands!"
Furthermore, when a celebrity does this, it helps other young and other LGBT people to feel less isolated and more empowered.
I thought you were a reasonable person.
What happened?
Bragging and sharing stories with one's close circle of friends is entirely different than being a celebrity and using the media to announce your sexual orientation. Don't you agree? Besides, I've not heard of any heterosexual celebrities getting the waves and claiming "I'm straight", have you? It is a tactic dedicated solely to the public announcement of homosexuality. Nothing happened to make me any less reasonable that you thought me to be yesterday, Jared brought up the subject and I thought I'd comment on it. What is wrong with that? I haven't tried to use any media to announce my orientation, have you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palm Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Touch Of Class Consignments, Cathedral City, ca. (Aug '13) Tue Mike 132
stores with bad customer service {list your wor... Dec 18 Tracy 3
mexican landscapers dump in the desert Dec 11 Jean 22
Re-Thinking Southern California Earthquake Scen... Dec 8 Rick 1
Lower gas prices means more people on the road ... Dec 7 Ronald 6
Costco readies for new opening (Dec '06) Dec 6 Bobbo Yogi 154
Review: Inter-City Plumbing (Jun '09) Dec 3 Jean 11
Palm Springs Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web