Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,128)

Showing posts 162,541 - 162,560 of199,073
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a retired research geologist telescope guy. But that's as irrelevant as your hobby is.
It is a hobby I am most active in, and other studies I am involved in also relate to geology as well, I have been asked to speak on Physical anthropology, but it has been a while.

You donít think you are putting my interests down by calling them hobbies do you? LOL, not at all... I actually promote science, because I enjoy it. It isnít a put down at all, I have never claimed to be a professional
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why can't anyone understand the decision the courts are making is based on the constitution and should have nothing to do with religion.
Because their objection is not based on the constitution, and is why they are failing ( in the long term )

Since: Mar 12

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Isn't this America where we are freedoms of Religion allows us to believe what we want. Yet we should base laws that apply to everyone off of one single religion. That's just dumb.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why can't anyone understand the decision the courts are making is based on the constitution and should have nothing to do with religion.
Agree. Big D won't stop being off topic and spewing his hate for religion.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because those people do not believe in the ideals of the U.S. Constitution, nor support them. If they did, we wouldn't be having this argument.

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Not just a single religion, all of the holy texts from EVERY religion describe marriage as male/female.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite. I never said same sex sexual behavior is new. Quite the contrary. However despite its existence, it has not translated into SSM across time and place. If it did, would this debate be necessary? No, SSM would already b part of our culture.
Just like the question that was asked about marriage in general--whether or not it is a cultural constraint something-or-other--I believe that same-sex couples have been "marrying" one another since the beginning.

Just because it MIGHT not have been widely recognized legally, socially, religiously DOES NOT mean that same-gender couples haven't been having their own "marriages" (long-term monogamous relationships) since the beginning.

Many of us have created life-long relationships that not have been called "marriage", but that's only because the people around us wouldn't allow us to call it "marriage".

For all practical purposes the relationships that we have engaged in for the 11,000 years that we know same-sex people have been documented to have been on the planet, there have been "marriages" in that couples have done everything else that opposite sex couples have done; including having children--either through adoption or by way of a surrogate.

There's that saying, "If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck; then it's a duck".

So if same-sex couples have been pairing up monogamously throughout history (as they have now), then their relationships HAVE BEEN, per se, same-sex marriages--at least to the couples who have engaged in them.

My ex and I were never married in front of a congregation, though we did go to San Francisco city hall and become registered as domestic partners--the closest we could legally come to marriage. We had a private ceremony just between the two of us and under the watchful eyes of God. I consider myself as having been married, even though you may not.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a hobby I am most active in, and other studies I am involved in also relate to geology as well, I have been asked to speak on Physical anthropology, but it has been a while.
You donít think you are putting my interests down by calling them hobbies do you? LOL, not at all... I actually promote science, because I enjoy it. It isnít a put down at all, I have never claimed to be a professional
It's as irrelevant to this discussion as my MS geology is. You brought your hobby up in an attempt to patronize me.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you base your opinions off Jerry Springer? A show where everyone knows its scripted and fake. That's sad you think it's real.
Only a minor step up from Faux News
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
Not just a single religion, all of the holy texts from EVERY religion describe marriage as male/female.
Not at all true, there are thousands of churches here in the US who wish to preform same sex marriages and their religious rights and freedoms are being denied.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a minor step up from Faux News
http://stateofthemedia.org/2013/special-repor...
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's as irrelevant to this discussion as my MS geology is. You brought your hobby up in an attempt to patronize me.
Nope I was reminding Ricardo that I am invited to schools to talk about what I would talk about, while I could have him arrested for talking about what he would talk about.

Wilton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
We do teach science in schools, I am even invited to a few on specific aspects of science. I have worked with schools and even some church groups on Astronomy
Come on over, stand up and smite me ( chuckle ) you may be in for a bit of a shock when you try.
Astronomy doesn't mean there is no God.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít have a religion, I am not bound by any kind of faith at all, someone shows me actual evidence, that has been through extensive peer review and I will happily take it into consideration.
You can go back to your magic tree, talking snake, and rib woman
First off, I'm not attacking you with this message... Honestly, I'm not.

Secondly, I doubt that many Christians are literal ineterpretationists when it comes to the fables and stories found in Christian scripture.

The original story tellers of the day didn't have the scientific knowledge about biology, chemistry, physics, or the other sciences that we have had for the past few centuries.

They used their vivid imaginations to metaphorically describe how they believed God created the universe.

That being said, do I believe in God--a creator? Yes I do.

I don't know whether God looks like me or has thoughts like me, but I believe in a creating force that made the universe. Something, no matter how far removed from looking human, created the world.

Regarding Christianity, I like it as a religion--as a philosophy. I look at the words that Christ was reported to have said and like what I see.

"Love your neighbor as you love yourself." "Whatever you have done to the least of these people of mine, you have done unto me. Love your enemy as you love yourself. Turn the other cheek."

Those are some AMAZING words to live by--right? If we all just followed a couple of rules about how to treat one another, none of us would be fighting. There would be no wars--no murders--no attacks out of some sense to seek revenge--no stealing...

Finally, I do believe in a "Holy Spirit". Don't ask me to describe it. I've never seen it, touched it, heard it, etc. But I have felt it.

During the disastrous part of my life when I denied my orientation out of fear of God's wrath (I was a young adult), I prayed for guidance. And something--no idea what it was--"gave me permission" to be the person that I believe God created me to me (i.e. a gay man). The peace and joy that I felt that day is almost indescribable.

Now, at some point in the future, psychologists and neurologists may very well find the part of our brains that allow us to give ourselves permission to do things that we intrinsically know are right. Perhaps that sense of euphoria that I felt was nothing more than brain chemistry.

Who knows? I don't.

Faith allows me to make some kind of sense of those aspects of the world that I do not understand. And I think faith has been used similarly by mankind for eons.

I just wanted to explain myself to you and to anyone else interested in my thoughts on the matter.

Good GOD I can be long-winded. But it's how I communicate. Maybe one day I'll learn to be concise.

Wilton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You are free to believe in the magic tree, rib woman and talking snake all you like, this is America and I will treat you with the exact same respect I treat volcano worshipers and Scientologists
As long as you donít try to toss any virgins into volcanos, or deny same sex couples rights, but when you politicize your religion, you are open to fire from every direction. You have lost your innocence and have demoted your belief system into a political party... like Tea Baggers
when you politicize your atheist religion, you are open to fire from every direction. You have lost your innocence and have demoted your belief system into a political party... liberalism is a mental disorder.

Wilton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Many also fear the great Rose_NoHo's disapproval. She's almost as hateful as Big D when it comes to religion.
And of course old Jizzybird/Apollo911 or whatever with his bowl of spaghetti that flies doesn't understand the irony.
I wonder how long hemp head will be confined this time? Seemed like he got 90 days last time.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope I was reminding Ricardo that I am invited to schools to talk about what I would talk about, while I could have him arrested for talking about what he would talk about.
Just don't start harping on religion when you're boring the kiddies. Then I'd have to pull my Superman schtick on you. YUK!YUK!YUK!

Because spewing your hate against religion is against truth, justice and the American way!

Wilton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Secondly, I doubt that many Christians are literal ineterpretationists when it comes to the fables and stories found in Christian scripture.......
Thank you V, I was wrong about you.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Secondly, I doubt that many Christians are literal ineterpretationists when it comes to the fables and stories found in Christian scripture.
The original story tellers of the day didn't have the scientific knowledge about biology, chemistry, physics, or the other sciences that we have had for the past few centuries.
They used their vivid imaginations to metaphorically describe how they believed God created the universe.
That being said, do I believe in God--a creator? Yes I do.
I don't know whether God looks like me or has thoughts like me, but I believe in a creating force that made the universe. Something, no matter how far removed from looking human, created the world.
Regarding Christianity, I like it as a religion--as a philosophy. I look at the words that Christ was reported to have said and like what I see.
"Love your neighbor as you love yourself." "Whatever you have done to the least of these people of mine, you have done unto me. Love your enemy as you love yourself. Turn the other cheek."
Those are some AMAZING words to live by--right? If we all just followed a couple of rules about how to treat one another, none of us would be fighting. There would be no wars--no murders--no attacks out of some sense to seek revenge--no stealing...
Finally, I do believe in a "Holy Spirit". Don't ask me to describe it. I've never seen it, touched it, heard it, etc. But I have felt it.
During the disastrous part of my life when I denied my orientation out of fear of God's wrath (I was a young adult), I prayed for guidance. And something--no idea what it was--"gave me permission" to be the person that I believe God created me to me (i.e. a gay man). The peace and joy that I felt that day is almost indescribable.
Now, at some point in the future, psychologists and neurologists may very well find the part of our brains that allow us to give ourselves permission to do things that we intrinsically know are right. Perhaps that sense of euphoria that I felt was nothing more than brain chemistry.
Who knows? I don't.
Faith allows me to make some kind of sense of those aspects of the world that I do not understand. And I think faith has been used similarly by mankind for eons.
I just wanted to explain myself to you and to anyone else interested in my thoughts on the matter.
Good GOD I can be long-winded. But it's how I communicate. Maybe one day I'll learn to be concise.
You're a very thoughtful and reasonable man. Totally out of place on this thread! But very worthy of respect. I wish you the best.
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Guessing is exactly what you are doing, you are in no position to judge
And you are in no position to talk Big D...!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 162,541 - 162,560 of199,073
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Palm Springs Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Palm Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance