Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,187

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#186060 Apr 1, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You are free to believe in the magic tree, rib woman and talking snake all you like, this is America and I will treat you with the exact same respect I treat volcano worshipers and Scientologists
.
As long as you donít try to toss any virgins into volcanos, or deny same sex couples rights, but when you politicize your religion, you are open to fire from every direction. You have lost your innocence and have demoted your belief system into a political party... like Tea Baggers
when you politicize your atheist religion, you are open to fire from every direction. You have lost your innocence and have demoted your belief system into a political party... liberalism is a mental disorder.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#186061 Apr 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Many also fear the great Rose_NoHo's disapproval. She's almost as hateful as Big D when it comes to religion.
And of course old Jizzybird/Apollo911 or whatever with his bowl of spaghetti that flies doesn't understand the irony.
I wonder how long hemp head will be confined this time? Seemed like he got 90 days last time.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#186062 Apr 1, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope I was reminding Ricardo that I am invited to schools to talk about what I would talk about, while I could have him arrested for talking about what he would talk about.
Just don't start harping on religion when you're boring the kiddies. Then I'd have to pull my Superman schtick on you. YUK!YUK!YUK!

Because spewing your hate against religion is against truth, justice and the American way!

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#186063 Apr 1, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, I'm not attacking you with this message... Honestly, I'm not.
Secondly, I doubt that many Christians are literal ineterpretationists when it comes to the fables and stories found in Christian scripture.......
Thank you V, I was wrong about you.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#186064 Apr 1, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, I'm not attacking you with this message... Honestly, I'm not.
Secondly, I doubt that many Christians are literal ineterpretationists when it comes to the fables and stories found in Christian scripture.
The original story tellers of the day didn't have the scientific knowledge about biology, chemistry, physics, or the other sciences that we have had for the past few centuries.
They used their vivid imaginations to metaphorically describe how they believed God created the universe.
That being said, do I believe in God--a creator? Yes I do.
I don't know whether God looks like me or has thoughts like me, but I believe in a creating force that made the universe. Something, no matter how far removed from looking human, created the world.
Regarding Christianity, I like it as a religion--as a philosophy. I look at the words that Christ was reported to have said and like what I see.
"Love your neighbor as you love yourself." "Whatever you have done to the least of these people of mine, you have done unto me. Love your enemy as you love yourself. Turn the other cheek."
Those are some AMAZING words to live by--right? If we all just followed a couple of rules about how to treat one another, none of us would be fighting. There would be no wars--no murders--no attacks out of some sense to seek revenge--no stealing...
Finally, I do believe in a "Holy Spirit". Don't ask me to describe it. I've never seen it, touched it, heard it, etc. But I have felt it.
During the disastrous part of my life when I denied my orientation out of fear of God's wrath (I was a young adult), I prayed for guidance. And something--no idea what it was--"gave me permission" to be the person that I believe God created me to me (i.e. a gay man). The peace and joy that I felt that day is almost indescribable.
Now, at some point in the future, psychologists and neurologists may very well find the part of our brains that allow us to give ourselves permission to do things that we intrinsically know are right. Perhaps that sense of euphoria that I felt was nothing more than brain chemistry.
Who knows? I don't.
Faith allows me to make some kind of sense of those aspects of the world that I do not understand. And I think faith has been used similarly by mankind for eons.
I just wanted to explain myself to you and to anyone else interested in my thoughts on the matter.
Good GOD I can be long-winded. But it's how I communicate. Maybe one day I'll learn to be concise.
You're a very thoughtful and reasonable man. Totally out of place on this thread! But very worthy of respect. I wish you the best.
Anonymous

Nassau, NY

#186065 Apr 1, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Guessing is exactly what you are doing, you are in no position to judge
And you are in no position to talk Big D...!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#186066 Apr 1, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder how long hemp head will be confined this time? Seemed like he got 90 days last time.
They'll probably hold him until they get him stabilized again. Then he'll be back manic as ever. Wish they'd teach him grammar while they've got his attention.
Anonymous

Nassau, NY

#186068 Apr 1, 2013
I know this is going to sound like a bunch of bologna, but if there is no God, then how do you explain our existence and who we are and where we go when we die. How do you explain the paranormal if everything now is looked at from a scientific point of view? I have personally experienced paranormal activity and I do so on a regular basis! I live in an apartment out in the country, and the guy who lived there before me commited suicide in my livingroom after he got diagnosed with MS, he couldn't handle living as a vegetable when he was so active, and strong and put a gun to his head. I have seen shit,m heard shit all of that! I wouldn't say my house is haunted but he definetly pops in every now and then. Especially because his parents share the other side of the house. Its a duplex. Explain that to me if there is no God, no spirits none of that!

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#186069 Apr 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a very thoughtful and reasonable man. Totally out of place on this thread! But very worthy of respect. I wish you the best.
sorry... you're right... I probably should have privately messaged him.
Anonymous

Nassau, NY

#186070 Apr 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
They'll probably hold him until they get him stabilized again. Then he'll be back manic as ever. Wish they'd teach him grammar while they've got his attention.
Hemp head? What you guys are for ame sex marriage but you're against marijuana. Its legal there now too. I don't have a problem with pot but everything is legal in california! Before you know it cocaine and meth will be legal too!
Big D

Modesto, CA

#186071 Apr 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Just don't start harping on religion when you're boring the kiddies. Then I'd have to pull my Superman schtick on you. YUK!YUK!YUK!
Because spewing your hate against religion is against truth, justice and the American way!
Oh there are quite a few political parties I strongly disagree wiht, when Christianity became one, they opened themselves to the same treatement

Since: Mar 12

Milwaukee

#186073 Apr 1, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Not just a single religion, all of the holy texts from EVERY religion describe marriage as male/female.
My point is that in this country we DON'T make laws based on religion!! Get that through your thick skull!!!
Big D

Modesto, CA

#186074 Apr 1, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
I know this is going to sound like a bunch of bologna, but if there is no God, then how do you explain our existence and who we are and where we go when we die. How do you explain the paranormal if everything now is looked at from a scientific point of view? I have personally experienced paranormal activity and I do so on a regular basis! I live in an apartment out in the country, and the guy who lived there before me commited suicide in my livingroom after he got diagnosed with MS, he couldn't handle living as a vegetable when he was so active, and strong and put a gun to his head. I have seen shit,m heard shit all of that! I wouldn't say my house is haunted but he definetly pops in every now and then. Especially because his parents share the other side of the house. Its a duplex. Explain that to me if there is no God, no spirits none of that!
The simple answer is, if we donít know something, some of us are confident enough to not have to make something up to explain it.

I donít have to pretend in Santa Claus to be an answer for things I do not know.

I have had experiences that are beyond what current science can explain myself, but that does not mean I have to buy someoneís made up explanations either.

Man has believed in literally billions of Gods, but I think it is time we grew up. Yes there are things we donít know, but we donít need to believe in Peter Pan because we donít know something.
BIG johnson

AOL

#186075 Apr 1, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is that in this country we DON'T make laws based on religion!! Get that through your thick skull!!!
actually virtually every ' law ',...
in America and throughout the world ,
are precisely mirrored and based on, religious morals and long held beliefs
Big D

Modesto, CA

#186076 Apr 1, 2013
BIG johnson wrote:
<quoted text>actually virtually every ' law ',...
in America and throughout the world ,
are precisely mirrored and based on, religious morals and long held beliefs
Wrong

USA law is based on English law which was based on Roman law which was largely borrowed from Greek law which origin outdates any current religion today.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#186078 Apr 1, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh there are quite a few political parties I strongly disagree wiht, when Christianity became one, they opened themselves to the same treatement
Christianity is a political party? I never saw them on the ballot. Who was their candidate for president?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#186079 Apr 1, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion is not a requirement of marriage, either.
Couth isn't either.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#186080 Apr 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity is a political party? I never saw them on the ballot. Who was their candidate for president?
Lately it has been

who was the Tea party candidate?
jim

Chino, CA

#186081 Apr 1, 2013
i can't understand why i vote . My vote never counts .This state is getting worst by the day.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#186082 Apr 1, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope I was reminding Ricardo that I am invited to schools to talk about what I would talk about, while I could have him arrested for talking about what he would talk about.
And that would be......?(You can't be serious)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palm Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Touch Of Class Consignments, Cathedral City, ca. (Aug '13) Tue Mike 132
stores with bad customer service {list your wor... Dec 18 Tracy 3
mexican landscapers dump in the desert Dec 11 Jean 22
Re-Thinking Southern California Earthquake Scen... Dec 8 Rick 1
Lower gas prices means more people on the road ... Dec 7 Ronald 6
Costco readies for new opening (Dec '06) Dec 6 Bobbo Yogi 154
Review: Inter-City Plumbing (Jun '09) Dec 3 Jean 11
Palm Springs Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Palm Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Palm Springs News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Palm Springs

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:48 am PST