Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,159

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#185835 Mar 31, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's more correct to say, "The movement associated with Harvey Milk's death is important to the LGBT community".
I lived in San Francisco from 1994 to 2009. There were several places named for Harvey Milk. And now I understand that there is a movement to have SFO (the airport) named in his honor.
I don't really have a problem with it.
I hardly worship the man. I've never seen the movie "Milk" (though I often watched it being filmed as I took the 24 Divisadero bus to work in the morning).
As I've pointed out earlier, JFK, MLK Jr, FDR, and other luminaries of our past were not very nice men--many of them womanizers. And yet we've found a way to gloss over that fact and focus on their impact on society.
I don't think it's fair for you to suggest that gays look to a "pedophile" as their hero. I think you know that.
Maybe you're trying to be sensationalistic.
JFK, MLK Jr, FDR, and other luminaries of our past did not break the law having sex with an underage person. Movies don't make my history.

Since: Mar 13

Fremont, CA

#185836 Mar 31, 2013
what Curtis implied I am impressed that a mother able to make $4178 in one month on the internet. did you look at this web link =======bit90.com=======
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#185837 Mar 31, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares? it's primarily only anti-gay activists who promote it.
And you only use it as a straw man. They can't come up with any rational reasons to prevent TWO gay people from marrying in the same manner that TWO straight people ALREADY do, so they try to change the argument.
In reality, you would be horrified if someone used your positive arguments in favor of polygamy to actually fight to make it legal.
You're dead wrong. People I love dearly are in same sex marriages. I gave my niece and her lovely bride a down payment on a house last year in pricey NY city. I love them both dearly. Got drunk at their wedding. Gay weddings are the best! I have dinner often with my next door neighbors a gay couple in their 70's. I wish all of them only the best. I served in combat with a gay man whose bravery saved my life. We're still friends some 40 years later he's not married but in a 20 year relationship. We get together often. I wish all these people only the best.

I truly believe same sex couples, polygamists and yes, even incest couples should have marriage equality. Marriage is good for society. Even marriages you disapprove of.

You, like many others here have no real argument against poly. So you accuse me of homophobia and lying and other dodges to avoid revealing your hypocrisy.

Happy Easter Fruitcake.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#185838 Mar 31, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
I did?
Mkay...
You do realize we can scroll back to the posts and read them, right? Show me where I wrote that. I can't find it....
Oh come on you and I both know that's your standard answer every time I ask why you are against poly or incest marriage.

You're such a liar. And never any substance. Just looking for a weakness to attack. Nasty. Yuck!

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#185839 Mar 31, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>JFK, MLK Jr, FDR, and other luminaries of our past did not break the law having sex with an underage person. Movies don't make my history.
The good republican, Strom Thurmond, had intercourse with a minor--a 15 year old black child. He was 23 at the time. And yet he is the longest serving senator in history.

And when are you just going to admit that you are simply trying to "kill the messenger"?

Harvey Milk was a scumbag... Big deal...

Does that mean the entire LGBT movement should be invalidated?

He's not our leader. We have had many leaders throughout our history.

Everybody has skeletons in their closets. Doesn't mean their message was wrong.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#185840 Mar 31, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>When several states have already abandoned the notion that marriage is restricted to heterosexuals, I fail to see the logic in continuing to restrict it to monogamists.
Tell you the logic in it? Is there some kind of all-or-nothing "logic rule" in your universe? Because 'A' happened, I fail to see why 'B' shouldn't happen. When you take your car to get an oil change, do you think it's logical for the service tech to re-upholster the interior of your car?
So marriage isn't restricted to heterosexuals anymore. So.
Heterosexuals can still marry. Nobody's gonna make you marry someone of the same sex. Only one thing changes. Same sex couples can marry. Marriage stays the same, except it is available to more taxpaying legal couples. Legal couples who pay MORE taxes then similarly situated hetero couples do now.
That said, to reason that the number of people permitted to enter a marriage should also change is illogical. Here: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
Can you pick which fallacy it is?
hint: there are several
http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/marriage.pdf

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#185841 Mar 31, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
The good republican, Strom Thurmond, had intercourse with a minor--a 15 year old black child. He was 23 at the time. And yet he is the longest serving senator in history.
And when are you just going to admit that you are simply trying to "kill the messenger"?
Harvey Milk was a scumbag... Big deal...
Does that mean the entire LGBT movement should be invalidated?
He's not our leader. We have had many leaders throughout our history.
Everybody has skeletons in their closets. Doesn't mean their message was wrong.
I agree, never said the LGBT movement had anything to do with his past crimes. Just some of our so called hero's should not be on Public buildings.
Anonymous

East Granby, CT

#185842 Mar 31, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Modern science has found the medical reasons for the prohibition of incest procreation have been greatly exaggerated.
Also procreation is irrelevant to marriage in this century, right?
I am a New York resident. I can legally marry my first cousin in NY. Why can't I marry my sister?
I am a New York resident too, I live in western NY. I haven't heard that it is legal to marry your first cousin. But back to discussion, inbred people do to have disabilities mentally and physically! There are amish folk who live in the next town over who are paying men to breed their women because they are all too closely related, they are being born with genetic abnormalities due to the identity of the chromosomes. They have F.A.S physical features and most have aspergers syndrome! This for sure is not something that is being over exaggerated. Why don't you start testing the theory see how it pans out for you and your Genetically grotesque offspring!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#185843 Mar 31, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>I am a New York resident too, I live in western NY. I haven't heard that it is legal to marry your first cousin. But back to discussion, inbred people do to have disabilities mentally and physically! There are amish folk who live in the next town over who are paying men to breed their women because they are all too closely related, they are being born with genetic abnormalities due to the identity of the chromosomes. They have F.A.S physical features and most have aspergers syndrome! This for sure is not something that is being over exaggerated. Why don't you start testing the theory see how it pans out for you and your Genetically grotesque offspring!
Nice!

No thanks. I don't want to sex up my sister, toots. Just want to discuss marriage equality.
Anonymous

East Granby, CT

#185844 Mar 31, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Modern science has found the medical reasons for the prohibition of incest procreation have been greatly exaggerated.
Also procreation is irrelevant to marriage in this century, right?
I am a New York resident. I can legally marry my first cousin in NY. Why can't I marry my sister?
Also it's like God's way of punishing the degenerates of whome practice such blasphemies!
Anonymous

East Granby, CT

#185845 Mar 31, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice!
No thanks. I don't want to sex up my sister, toots. Just want to discuss marriage equality.
So you were being sarcastic. Good lord I hope so! Marriage equality?, Marriage is between a man, woman and God for the final time! If people want to munch carpets, and pack fudge do so on your own filthy time please leave God out of it, it is a slap in his face!
Riding Style

La Puente, CA

#185846 Mar 31, 2013
Bareback or blanket?

Knoxville, TN

#185847 Mar 31, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>Also it's like God's way of punishing the degenerates of whome practice such blasphemies!
My dear, if God were handing out punishments for "blasphemies", you and I would have been struck dead long ago.

Do you remember a little story about how Christ died for our sins, so that we may be saved through His grace? Look it up sometime...

You nor I have the ability to determine how someone else's behavior or beliefs will be judged. Only God knows.

That's why there's quite a bit of emphasis put on "not judging others" in scripture.

Lighten up a little. Back off. If you don't support same-gender marriage, then state your case and move on.

There's no need to get all worked up over it and start pretending to know God's intentions.

Knoxville, TN

#185848 Mar 31, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>So you were being sarcastic. Good lord I hope so! Marriage equality?, Marriage is between a man, woman and God for the final time! If people want to munch carpets, and pack fudge do so on your own filthy time please leave God out of it, it is a slap in his face!
Do you think you glorify God by getting on here and saying such things? Seriously... I think you're doing yourself and God a disservice when you're so angry and use such foul language.
Houell

La Puente, CA

#185849 Mar 31, 2013
You'll could never find a better neighbor than the Air Force, it was a great community,

A former Myrtle Beach city councilman who helped lead efforts to redevelop the base after its March 31, 1993 closure.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#185850 Mar 31, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>So you were being sarcastic. Good lord I hope so! Marriage equality?, Marriage is between a man, woman and God for the final time! If people want to munch carpets, and pack fudge do so on your own filthy time please leave God out of it, it is a slap in his face!
Country-girl22 said "pack fudge" and "munch carpets". Tee hee hee.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#185852 Mar 31, 2013
Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the difference is that very few (at least in here) have the ability to drastically personalize the issue, as VV had done. I was rather surprised, too.
:D
Of the homosexuals that I know most are quite articulate and the majority are in commited long term relationships. The issue is personal for them, drastically.

Location hidden

#185853 Mar 31, 2013
Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Chicken Hawk
A Gay term for an older man that constantly chases after younger men typically in their 20's.
A perennial favorite, from one of your heroes...
People like bush and cheney are something else. They are called "Politicians".
I've never heard that use until you brought it in. In the not so distant past it has been used to refer to political figures who've been quick to resort to military action yet avoided any real service themselves. "W" qualifies because his station in life afforded him a pass on combat service. Cheney "had more important things to do."

Location hidden

#185854 Mar 31, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>And what does that tell ya;)
You're the prom queen for the illiterate generation.
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just going to do the best I can when it comes to my boys and make sure they grow up right and they don't get brain washed ...!
Soooo, you're putting the boys up for adoption then?
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>Woah, woah, woah, I missed that conversation, outdated medical theory? What's that inbred people don't have deformities or mental limitations? Oh geez, how about he starts sleeping with his close relatives to test his theory and see the outcome!
Yup, illiterate AND uninformed. Inbreeding doesn't mean the offspring will be born with three legs and no brain. Not that I find it appealing.
Anonymous

Nassau, NY

#185855 Mar 31, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
My dear, if God were handing out punishments for "blasphemies", you and I would have been struck dead long ago.
Do you remember a little story about how Christ died for our sins, so that we may be saved through His grace? Look it up sometime...
You nor I have the ability to determine how someone else's behavior or beliefs will be judged. Only God knows.
That's why there's quite a bit of emphasis put on "not judging others" in scripture.
Lighten up a little. Back off. If you don't support same-gender marriage, then state your case and move on.
There's no need to get all worked up over it and start pretending to know God's intentions.
Look it up it clearly says a man shall not lye with another man! Yes Jesus died for our sins but I think you are justifying this a little too much! It's like me saying it's okay I can go commite a murder but I'll be okay as long I confess my sins because that's what jesus died for! Marriage is HOLY matramony, and when you wed gays, that's like lieing under oath!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palm Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
stores with bad customer service {list your wor... 14 hr Tracy 3
mexican landscapers dump in the desert Dec 11 Jean 22
Re-Thinking Southern California Earthquake Scen... Dec 8 Rick 1
Lower gas prices means more people on the road ... Dec 7 Ronald 6
Costco readies for new opening (Dec '06) Dec 6 Bobbo Yogi 154
Review: Inter-City Plumbing (Jun '09) Dec 3 Jean 11
Complaint CATHEDRAL CITY POLICE DEPARTMENT (Jan '08) Dec 1 kent 48
Palm Springs Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web