Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
150,361 - 150,380 of 200,343 Comments Last updated 7 hrs ago
SuckItUp

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2012

Judged:

This must be a case of 'ring around the collar.'
Chrisnris

Hesperia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2012

Judged:

R Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
It takes no daring, at all, to state what is right, and what is wrong. It is a desire to not see the societal fabric torn, beyond recognition. It is not any more hate and ignorance, to tell you that SSM is wrong, that it takes to tell a child that their behavior is wrong. Do you hate a child, when you are telling it "no" ? Of course not. Children occasionally need reminded, as do the gay segment of our population.
For thousands of years, a marriage has been defined as a relationship between a man and a woman that includes sexual intercourseóthe kind of act that can (but does not always) lead to the woman's pregnancy. A homosexual relationship, regardless of how enduring it is as a bond of loving commitment, does not and cannot include sexual intercourse leading to pregnancy. Thus it is not marriage.
Those who choose to live together in life-long homosexual relationships; or brothers and sisters who live together and take care of one another; or two friends of the same sex who are not sexually involved but share life together in the same homeóall of these may be free to live as they do, and they suffer no civil rights discrimination by not being identified as marriages. I do not deny your right to live with whoever you choose, i merely refuse to accept a lowering of the bar, in order to allow you to call your relationship "a marriage". It is not. It is a sham. If you wish to call it a marriage, you are voting for misidentification, and that sets precedents for changing anything, any portion of reality can be denied, and we have not come all this way, through the mist of time, simply to give in to libertines that wish to change reality.
Live with whoever you please, just don't expect it to be called a marriage, when the majority of us know differently. Until we all receive polls in the mail, no poll can claim to know how the majority of us feel about this issue. I do not believe anyone who claims that the majority of Americans support SSM, they are either liars, or misinformed. Any poll can be manipulated, through the use of carefully screened participants.

Well the state of california diagrees with your opinion because my wife and I have a marriage certificate from this state and we ARE legally married and not you or anyone else can take that right away from us.

Since: Jan 10

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2012

Mike DiRucci wrote:
<quoted text>
Torment is a good word. I like it.
So do you figure I'm tormenting that jackass "Big D" pretty good? With the Clinton impeachment schtick? He's hard to read.
Rock? Mr. Hudson? Oh! I get it! R. Hudson = Rock Hudson! The old actor. Good one! HA HA.
There are people who have knee-jerk responses on both sides of the Gay Marriage issue. And it may be a joy to poke fun at people who are emotionally charged on the issue, but, it is a serious issue and many Gay Americans have been abused (both physically and emotionally) simple because of who they love. Anti Gay Marriage opponents donít have the same (often times daily) reminders of how they are looked upon as second class citizens. Many haters post on these sites as a way of further marginalizing Gay Americans. Perhaps you can consider that as you are tormenting folks who have a real-life stake in the outcome. As far as the impeachment goes, who really cares.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Roe V Wade was one of the better decisions the court has made, I expect they would like another as profound as that one was.
You donít understand, this is an appeal of a decision, there will be no new arguments, there will be no new evidence, there will be no new arguments. It will die by the arguments already presented in the lower courts.
The SCOUTS has contradicted itself numerous times through our history.
The only real questions is will it be the narrow decision ( the one I expect ) pertaining only to California, or the broader one ( the one I would like to see but donít expect ) pertaining to all 50 states.
It is an equal rights issue, the Federal government does have a say in equal rights and has exercised that authority many times.
This is why your opinion doesn't amount to a hill of beans.
If the court wanted to keep this decision solely effecting California they wouldn't have taken the case, there was no need to as that is exactly what the 9th Circuit did.
There are only two possible outcomes. The SCOTUS overturns the 9th and ultimately Walkers decision or they make this a national issue. The real question is are they really ready for another Roe v Wade?
And, will the court contradict itself? Let's not forget they are also hearing the DOMA decision, which clearly states that the Federal Government has NO say in marriage laws, that it is an issue left to the States. In order to uphold the Prop 8 and the DOMA ruling they truly create a contradiction. On one hand you have the Federal Government regulating marriage through the federal court system, on the other you have them saying the federal government lack the power to regulate it?
Interesting situation the court has put itself in.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Slavery in this country always used to be by race, we changed that.
Interesting, how do you feel about the Black slave owners?

How about the Blacks who were getting rich selling people into slavery?

Doesn't seem like that much of a race issue at all when you stop looking at the world through Rose colored glasses where the white man is always to blame.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Chrisnris wrote:
<quoted text>
Well the state of california diagrees with your opinion because my wife and I have a marriage certificate from this state and we ARE legally married and not you or anyone else can take that right away from us.
If you call the tail on a dog a leg, what do you have?

The fact of the matter is, EVERYONE disagrees with you whether they want to or not. First and foremost, they see LESBIAN. A johnny come (very) lately silly attempt to impose an imposter relationship on marriage.

Even a child knows the difference between redumbant gendered couples and diverse gendered. Especially when one couple is mom and dad!

Science is quickly exposing the cause of homosexuality and will probably discover prevention, if not cure in our life time. Look up homosexuality and epigenetics for the latest.

But even more serious, I think you are beginning to understand that the closer a counterfeit gets to the real thing, the more obvious it is.

H2 makes twice as much hydrogen. O2 makes twice as much oxygen. H20 makes something totally distinct from the individual distinction, a life giving substance.

:-)

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Since: Sep 12

Canarsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Marram wrote:
<quoted text>
There are people who have knee-jerk responses on both sides of the Gay Marriage issue. And it may be a joy to poke fun at people who are emotionally charged on the issue, but, it is a serious issue and many Gay Americans have been abused (both physically and emotionally) simple because of who they love. Anti Gay Marriage opponents donít have the same (often times daily) reminders of how they are looked upon as second class citizens. Many haters post on these sites as a way of further marginalizing Gay Americans. Perhaps you can consider that as you are tormenting folks who have a real-life stake in the outcome. As far as the impeachment goes, who really cares.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Canarsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why your opinion doesn't amount to a hill of beans.
If the court wanted to keep this decision solely effecting California they wouldn't have taken the case, there was no need to as that is exactly what the 9th Circuit did.
There are only two possible outcomes. The SCOTUS overturns the 9th and ultimately Walkers decision or they make this a national issue. The real question is are they really ready for another Roe v Wade?
And, will the court contradict itself? Let's not forget they are also hearing the DOMA decision, which clearly states that the Federal Government has NO say in marriage laws, that it is an issue left to the States. In order to uphold the Prop 8 and the DOMA ruling they truly create a contradiction. On one hand you have the Federal Government regulating marriage through the federal court system, on the other you have them saying the federal government lack the power to regulate it?
Interesting situation the court has put itself in.
Excellent post, but Big D's not going to understand it. He's a dope.

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Mike DiRucci wrote:
Whatever happened to that "jazzybird58" jackass? Anybody know?
That guy with the tin foil hat. Straight but calls other men "sugar nipples". Can't spell. Poor grammar.
No sense of humor.
Guess he's done "pissing" on me!
HAR!HAR!HAR! What a jackass!
i AM RIGHT HERE, I have a life, do you?
SuckItUp

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Hostess brass get bonuses while workers get pink slips.

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Canarsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>i AM RIGHT HERE, I have a life, do you?
Sure you do squeaky! We believe you.
FreeMaybe

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

When Glendora, California city employees come back from their holiday break they will find something new.

Clear plastic dispensers chock-full of free condoms will have been installed at all the city of Glendora owned and operated facilities, since the employees have been screwed on a regular bases by Glendora city hall management.

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Canarsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

SuckItUp wrote:
Hostess brass get bonuses while workers get pink slips.
Aw shuddup you silly jackass!

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Canarsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Chrisnris wrote:
<quoted text>
Real proud of you both tough girl! I went to my neice's wedding to her long term g.f. at a real fancy joint in NY while ago. What a party! Love them both.

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Canarsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

FreeMaybe wrote:
When Glendora, California city employees come back from their holiday break they will find something new.
Clear plastic dispensers chock-full of free condoms will have been installed at all the city of Glendora owned and operated facilities, since the employees have been screwed on a regular bases by Glendora city hall management.
http://www.hark.com/clips/fmmskpxsdp-cuckoo-c...

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Canarsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Pig Mania wrote:
What happened to $3 Bill, I miss his dopey posts?
I dunno. I'm getting worried. He hasn't been rating posts 10 times anymore either.

You know how reckless those crazy bus drivers in Livermore are! Hope he didn't get mowed down by a downtown bus. You know how he's always lurking downtown around the school.
John E Colby

Alviso, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Pig Mania wrote:
What happened to $3 Bill, I miss his dopey posts?
He was replaced by an even dopier, Mike DiRucci.
Jollys

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Don't just love that jolly old man calling himself saint nick?

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Canarsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

John E Colby wrote:
<quoted text>
He was replaced by an even dopier, Mike DiRucci.
Dumb post! Real proud of you. You mad?

What a dope!
Jollys

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Don't just love that jolly old man calling himself saint nick?

Now take your 'new york' BS and swim farther East.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Palm Springs Discussions

Search the Palm Springs Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) 7 hr snodder 2,252
desert hot springs, ca. unkept yards Sun Ron 3
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Sun Twilight sun 7,848
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Sun Facts facts 15,927
Review: Rich's Painting Jul 23 Spectacular job 1
Costco readies for new opening (Dec '06) Jul 23 AMan 149
Tony Casas, 77; Former Prisons Official Worked ... (Sep '07) Jul 23 Shellys Husband is Strong 635
•••
•••
•••
Palm Springs Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Palm Springs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••