Sirens go silent

There are 22 comments on the The Morning Call story from Oct 21, 2008, titled Sirens go silent. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Morris Metz ''died'' one afternoon in August 1986 and made it home for dinner the next day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ken

Easton, PA

#4 Oct 21, 2008
Hay Hay Hay Goodbye!!!!

Since: Aug 08

Lehigh Valley

#5 Oct 21, 2008
Scarey thing is now with Suburban being their service also I hope that it is not going to harder to get them to come when needed. They deal with Palmer.
Vollie Fire

Williamsport, PA

#6 Oct 21, 2008
To the supervisors of Forks Twsp, beware of what you wish for! Suburban may promise that they can cover all calls in your township, but they probably didnt say how quickly they could get there. If their "south" trucks are tied up on calls they'll be bringing a truck in from the "north" station in Washington Twsp before they give the call to someone else! Barry is a very greedy man and is just in it for money! I've heard of calls happen in Pen Argyl Borough and they sent a truck from their Palmer station to handle the call....now that is ridiculous! Took 25 minutes to get there and they didnt even ask for help from any of the nearby BLS companies! Over time the Forks Supervisors will see that hey made a mistake and should have stuck with the volunteers!!
EMSC

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Oct 21, 2008
If Obama's health plan ideas become law more of this will happen if he is elected. Smaller EMS squads will close their doors because of a lack of income and larger ones will take over. The coverage area will become bigger and their response times longer.
Vollie Fire wrote:
To the supervisors of Forks Twsp, beware of what you wish for! Suburban may promise that they can cover all calls in your township, but they probably didnt say how quickly they could get there. If their "south" trucks are tied up on calls they'll be bringing a truck in from the "north" station in Washington Twsp before they give the call to someone else! Barry is a very greedy man and is just in it for money! I've heard of calls happen in Pen Argyl Borough and they sent a truck from their Palmer station to handle the call....now that is ridiculous! Took 25 minutes to get there and they didnt even ask for help from any of the nearby BLS companies! Over time the Forks Supervisors will see that hey made a mistake and should have stuck with the volunteers!!

“Trying to do the best I can.”

Since: Jul 07

Lehigh Valley, PA

#8 Oct 21, 2008
I am just wondering why Michael Keifer is frustrated that the township isn't supporting Forks EMS after all those years of service. What did he expect to happen after Forks EMS stopped providing the township with monthly balance sheets?

With debt reaching half a million does he really expect blind support? Don't bite the hand that feeds you....
CAPTNCRANK

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Oct 21, 2008
Finally, The supervisors of Forks have seen the light. I was beginning to wonder how many relatives Mike had on the board, but when it comes down to it, even your relatives will bail on you. The Fat Lady has sung, sit down, shut up and bye-bye.
ABO

Allentown, PA

#10 Oct 21, 2008
what a shame wrote:
What a shame that they just couldn't hang in there a little longer. Obama, mighty savior of the universe would have been able to fix this.
But if the messiah of change gets elected, he is going to cure all illness within his first week in office. Once that happens, there won't be any need for ambulance squads.
Lizzard Slinger

Bethlehem, PA

#12 Oct 21, 2008
greedy suburban scum bags.. barry your as much a smile ball as Jon! Line your checkbooks and screw the communities.. regional approach isnt a bad thing as long as your ambulance isnt coming from 25 min away like posted above.
EPAramedic960

United States

#13 Oct 21, 2008
Thank you supervisors for stomping out the disease that has been plauging Forks Township for the past 5 years. Forks EMS once was a good place and fun to work and volunteer and many regional health care providers cut their teeth there but within the past 5 years it has made a turn for the worse. The only good thing to happen there in the last 5 years is having it's doors closed. Say what you wish about Suburban true or not, anything is better than what was there. As for the employees losing their jobs, it is their own fault for blindly eating the bull shit the Keifers fed them. The same bull they fed the supervisors and the good providers they tried to recruit to "make Forks what it used to be" no way!
Concerned resident

Allentown, PA

#14 Oct 21, 2008
It must have been a sad day for Forks EMS when they had to close their doors on Friday. They have served our township with pride. I am very sorry to see them leave, I feel the township supervisors didn't help them and wanted them out of there, why I don't know. I went to several supervisors meeting and Mr. Howd was very defensive with them. We needed them here and hope they can come back someday. They have done a great job for the township its too bad the supervisors didn't see that, but they haven't lived in the township all our their lives, a few of them are from out of state! So they don't know what we are feeling. They should feel guilt.
Why couldn't the 2 squads work together, as long as they were being paid and trying to work it out the supervisors should of left them alone. After all the people who were running it were not the ones would caused the problems. No one is perfect
this is for the supervisors because you are all far from it! Mr. Eghoff you are also, a very nasty person with your comments, you should be disciplined for your actions, you can get out of control sometimes at the meetings. To all of the Forks resdients as I am one I hope that you can live with what our supervisors did to our own. Forks EMS you should be commended for all the hard work you have done and all the people who you have helped. We will miss you and hope to see you again. I hope you all remember this when elections come up for the supervisors!! You will know who to vote for and who not to vote for. This is to the Supervisors: WHY DIDN'T YOU ASK US WHO WE WANTED FOR OUR EMS, YOU ARE ONLY WHAT 5 OR 6 PEOPLE, YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO GUESS WHAT WE WANTED! YOU DON'T OWN THE TOWNSHIP, WE DO.
Take care and God Bless Forks EMS
Concerned resident

Allentown, PA

#15 Oct 21, 2008
CAPTNCRANK wrote:
Finally, The supervisors of Forks have seen the light. I was beginning to wonder how many relatives Mike had on the board, but when it comes down to it, even your relatives will bail on you. The Fat Lady has sung, sit down, shut up and bye-bye.
U must be a Surburban person because you are obnoious! Stop the nasty remarks and keep them to yourself!
Concerned resident

Allentown, PA

#16 Oct 21, 2008
Shame Shame Shame, on you FORKS
SUPERVISORS! HOPE YOU NEVER NEED HELP
IN A HURRY BECAUSE IT WILL TAKE SURBURBAN FOREVER TO GET THERE.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE PEOPLE OF FORKS EMS!
unreal

Allentown, PA

#17 Oct 21, 2008
Concerned resident wrote:
<quoted text> U must be a Surburban person because you are obnoious! Stop the nasty remarks and keep them to yourself!
isn't this what these blogs are about to express your opinions? Perhaps you need a dictionary to help with your spelling?
Lyle

La Feria, TX

#18 Oct 21, 2008
EMSC wrote:
If Obama's health plan ideas become law more of this will happen if he is elected. Smaller EMS squads will close their doors because of a lack of income and larger ones will take over. The coverage area will become bigger and their response times longer.
<quoted text>
Many EMS rely on volunteers and donations from the community. Don't be spreading your scare tactics. It makes you look foolish.
In the Know

Allentown, PA

#19 Oct 21, 2008
Concerned resident wrote:
It must have been a sad day for Forks EMS when they had to close their doors on Friday. They have served our township with pride. I am very sorry to see them leave, I feel the township supervisors didn't help them and wanted them out of there, why I don't know. I went to several supervisors meeting and Mr. Howd was very defensive with them. We needed them here and hope they can come back someday. They have done a great job for the township its too bad the supervisors didn't see that, but they haven't lived in the township all our their lives, a few of them are from out of state! So they don't know what we are feeling. They should feel guilt.
Why couldn't the 2 squads work together, as long as they were being paid and trying to work it out the supervisors should of left them alone. After all the people who were running it were not the ones would caused the problems. No one is perfect
this is for the supervisors because you are all far from it! Mr. Eghoff you are also, a very nasty person with your comments, you should be disciplined for your actions, you can get out of control sometimes at the meetings. To all of the Forks resdients as I am one I hope that you can live with what our supervisors did to our own. Forks EMS you should be commended for all the hard work you have done and all the people who you have helped. We will miss you and hope to see you again. I hope you all remember this when elections come up for the supervisors!! You will know who to vote for and who not to vote for. This is to the Supervisors: WHY DIDN'T YOU ASK US WHO WE WANTED FOR OUR EMS, YOU ARE ONLY WHAT 5 OR 6 PEOPLE, YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO GUESS WHAT WE WANTED! YOU DON'T OWN THE TOWNSHIP, WE DO.
Take care and God Bless Forks EMS
There are, by far, more Forks residents working at Suburban than there were at Forks EMS.
unreal

Hellertown, PA

#20 Oct 21, 2008
Lizzard Slinger wrote:
greedy suburban scum bags.. barry your as much a smile ball as Jon! Line your checkbooks and screw the communities.. regional approach isnt a bad thing as long as your ambulance isnt coming from 25 min away like posted above.
You must be a ex (bitter) SEMS employee. Barry ROCKS in EMS and everyone knows that. You my friend need to get over it.
Finally

Bethlehem, PA

#21 Oct 21, 2008
I loved the day of the small squad, volunteer and all the good with it. I now dread my nights to volunteer.(No one else to do it if I don't) Too much to know, too much to learn in keeping skills up as a volunteer. Today, the care people deserve, and expect, can only come from career professinals and single tier (meaning one ALS ambulance per patient not two- ALS and BLS ambulances).
Suburban EMS is an excellent service providing the best of care to the sick and injuried. Forks will be proud to have Suburban EMS.
me oh my

Easton, PA

#22 Oct 21, 2008
Scumburban is not a great serivce if only the people of Palmer and other places new what happens behind the scenes with Barry being greedy and sending all his trucks out to do transports. When a 911 call comes in other local services have to cover for him or the Medic 9 truck has to cover for them. It is a shame.
Williams Twnshp, Easton and Forks should merge and create one squad to cover those areas.
Good luck people of Forks when you call 911 and pray a truck shows up in time.
Very Concerned resident

Silver Spring, MD

#23 Oct 21, 2008
It seems as if concerned citizen was not at the meeting where this was decided, or was not paying attention. The supervisors asked for the opinion of the residents. All who were in attendance stated that they did not want 2 ambulances. There was only one gentleman who wanted more discussion with the supervisors and FEMS. It sent a clear message to all in attendace that FEMS was not interested when they did not show for the meeting. They have been thumbing their nose at the board for months, by not providing financial information. I'm not sure how you believe that the response times will be slower, but the agreement that was decided on at the meeting puts a higher trained ambulance in the fire station. As a resident I support the boards decision has made to insure proper care in the event of an emergency.
For everyone

Whitehall, PA

#24 Oct 21, 2008
unreal wrote:
<quoted text> You must be a ex (bitter) SEMS employee. Barry ROCKS in EMS and everyone knows that. You my friend need to get over it.
Northampton county has the most half assed backwards EMS. The closer ALS unit should be getting the call GPS based dispatch wold be better for everyone.. Screw the political BS Barry, and the other dirrectors play.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palm Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Busch Gardens' original burgermeister, Robert B... (Nov '09) Oct '16 Daniel Regan 4
News Montco babysitter gets jail time for pulling te... Sep '16 AAD 1
News Two charged in Quakertown burglary (Jun '12) Sep '16 HaterzgonnaHATE 5
News Police, fire and courts: Man charged with seeki... (Aug '08) Apr '16 Anthony Scarpuzzi 32
News A wilting Pennsylvania Dutch tradition: ham and... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Fannie Pak 1
News Police: Doylestown jeweler bilked others (Apr '08) Feb '15 Tracey Hastings Ward 4
309 in Bucks County (Feb '14) Feb '15 PennDotSux 2

Palm Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Palm Mortgages