What a lift: Douglas a world champion

What a lift: Douglas a world champion

There are 16 comments on the Public Opinion story from Dec 25, 2008, titled What a lift: Douglas a world champion. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Ruth Douglas' idea of going to the gym is a little different than that of most 46-year-old grandmothers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

MADD

Clarksboro, NJ

#1 Dec 26, 2008
very inspirational story!
while i am not a competitive weight-lifter, i can certainly relate to ms douglas's story about 'being sick of this life and hitting the gym'.
2 years ago, i began running and working out 3-4 days a week..the routine was at first a chore, but now it's a lifestyle.
there are no truer words than what ms douglas says about "..even if you're tired and don't feel good, you have to be at that gym".
Wow

Newville, PA

#2 Dec 26, 2008
MADD wrote:
while i am not a competitive weight-lifter, i can certainly relate to ms douglas's story about 'being sick of this life and hitting the gym'.
2 years ago, i began running and working out 3-4 days a week..the routine was at first a chore, but now it's a lifestyle.
there are no truer words than what ms douglas says about "..even if you're tired and don't feel good, you have to be at that gym".
I can think of a thousand things I would rather be doing than working out at a gym. Must be a boring life. But I guess there are strange things that turn you on.
none

Marysville, OH

#3 Dec 26, 2008
165LBS, thats the world record for womens bench press????? Sorry, I guess im a little surprised that she's the only women on the earth that can bench press 165, if this isn't correct, PO needs to get there story straight, very misleading
none you idiot

Voorhees, NJ

#4 Dec 26, 2008
none wrote:
165LBS, thats the world record for womens bench press????? Sorry, I guess im a little surprised that she's the only women on the earth that can bench press 165, if this isn't correct, PO needs to get there story straight, very misleading
that's probably just in her weight class stupid!!
theMan

Geigertown, PA

#5 Dec 26, 2008
the 165 pounds is for her age AND weight class. in other words, women age 45-49 who also weigh the same as her. also keep in mind, this is not the olympics we're talking about here. i doubt it's an "official" world record.

you really should read more carefully before you spout off at the paper about "getting the story straight."
TANK

Shippensburg, PA

#6 Dec 26, 2008
MADD wrote:
SUX 2BU. FATAZZ!
MADD

Clarksboro, NJ

#7 Dec 26, 2008
ahh tank..i'm glad there are morons like you in the world to keep things intersting.
please enlighten me as to where in my post my height and weight are mentioned. hmmm. yet you, in all your brilliance, have deduced that i am a "fatazz".
perhaps in your spare time you could consult a weight chart and then tell me where it indicates a 5'8" male weighing 165 pounds qualifies as a "fatazz".
you are one up on me though..no further proof is necessary to prove that you are a "dumbazz."
rawpowerruth

Merchantville, NJ

#8 Dec 26, 2008
I would like to set the record straight! These records are official if you don't believe you can go to 100% raw,ADAU,IPA,AAU.These records are listed on these sites and are very official.They are also listed under Souders.Keep in mind I lift in my age and weight category most of the time and sometimes in the open class that I still break records.These are drug free meets the only way to lift with no supportive gear only your belt is allowed.I am sure you see higher bench records only in drug induced meets with supportive gear.When we bench you have to bring the bar to your chest until it is motionless and wait until the offical says press,this is alot harder than touch and go.This last compitition there were lifters from Russia also, a film crew from Britian to document the worlds strongest kids.We also lift in kilos because of it being a World event.
djpeacher

Hagerstown, MD

#9 Dec 26, 2008
hey Ruth keep up the good work and always put God 1st in your life your go far!
TANK

Shippensburg, PA

#10 Dec 26, 2008
MADD wrote:
ahh tank..i'm glad there are morons like you in the world to keep things intersting.
please enlighten me as to where in my post my height and weight are mentioned. hmmm. yet you, in all your brilliance, have deduced that i am a "fatazz".
perhaps in your spare time you could consult a weight chart and then tell me where it indicates a 5'8" male weighing 165 pounds qualifies as a "fatazz".
you are one up on me though..no further proof is necessary to prove that you are a "dumbazz."
LIAR!
Denise

Toms River, NJ

#11 Dec 26, 2008
This "feel-good" article accurately captures Ruth's real attitude and personality. I should know. I am her aunt, and honored to say so.
Her photo is really cool! Of course, when you see her in person, you don't notice her arms looking that big. She looks more like a Barbie Doll. With all of her accolades, she is still so very "down to earth," and is often known to volunteer for charitable causes.
I often attend her competitions, and cheer wildly for "Rawpower Ruth." Along the way I have also met many of the other competitors. Of course, they are strong and athletic, but they are also really great people.
Many thanks to Christian Worstell, for sharing her story with the Public Opinion's readers!
motor city madman

Newville, PA

#12 Dec 27, 2008
MADD wrote:
Good one !!!
motor city madman

Newville, PA

#13 Dec 27, 2008
TANK wrote:
<quoted text>
LIAR!
Lame response there TANK !!!
the 13th step

United States

#14 Dec 27, 2008
Oh yes she is a babe !!!
Will

Merchantville, NJ

#15 Dec 28, 2008
Oh yes she is a babe! As Ruth's fiance' and Personal trainer I can tell you that she has a heart of gold and that she is one of the hardest trainers that I know. When she sets her mind on a goal she usually acomplishes it.Last year her bench record was broken in the 148 lb class so she trained hard just to win the record back. She got the record for the bench and also set a new deadlift record at the meet in Richmond,Va.

She is also helps groups in the comminity, using her weightlifting abilities. Last year she took a penny a pound in donations from friends and co- workers. She then donated the money raised to CASA in Hagerstown,Md so that they could help young women get their G.E.D. certificates
wttf

Darby, PA

#16 Dec 28, 2008
Will wrote:
Oh yes she is a babe! As Ruth's fiance' and Personal trainer I can tell you that she has a heart of gold and that she is one of the hardest trainers that I know. When she sets her mind on a goal she usually acomplishes it.Last year her bench record was broken in the 148 lb class so she trained hard just to win the record back. She got the record for the bench and also set a new deadlift record at the meet in Richmond,Va.
She is also helps groups in the comminity, using her weightlifting abilities. Last year she took a penny a pound in donations from friends and co- workers. She then donated the money raised to CASA in Hagerstown,Md so that they could help young women get their G.E.D. certificates
I'm just curious if she is actually the man when it comes to the bedroom. HAHAHAHA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palm Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police, fire and courts: Man charged with seeki... (Aug '08) Apr '16 Anthony Scarpuzzi 32
News A wilting Pennsylvania Dutch tradition: ham and... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Fannie Pak 1
News Police: Doylestown jeweler bilked others (Apr '08) Feb '15 Tracey Hastings Ward 4
309 in Bucks County (Feb '14) Feb '15 PennDotSux 2
Inconsiderate Neighbors (Aug '14) Feb '15 GOC 2
News Manhunt Underway for Suspect in Pennsylvania Sh... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Ho J Simpson 7
News 10 Things to Know for Tuesday (Dec '14) Dec '14 Bring Back Beady 1

Palm Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Palm Mortgages