Hit the Eject Button: VHS is Dead

Hit the Eject Button: VHS is Dead

There are 5 comments on the technologyexpert.blogspot.com story from Dec 23, 2008, titled Hit the Eject Button: VHS is Dead. In it, technologyexpert.blogspot.com reports that:

While Variety announced the death of VHS in 2006, it wasn't really dead, just sliding rapidly toward the grave. But now, the last major supplier of VHS tapes, Distribution Video Audio of Palm Harbor, Florida, has shipped its last truckload of tapes, and it's truly dead (once again, more or less).

Join the discussion below, or Read more at technologyexpert.blogspot.com.

Sigh

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Dec 23, 2008
Now I gotta put my VHS recorder in the stack that includes my 3.5" and 5" floppy drives, "Zip" drive, 8-track recorder/player, Pentium I powered computer, CRT monitors and TVs, etc.

It'd be nice if electronics could be supported as long as my still useful 18 year old beater truck....

“We The People”

Since: Dec 08

From Canada to Brazil

#2 Dec 23, 2008
I still have about 400 VHS tapes and 3 VHS players, all functional and occasionally used. VHS will be dead either when my last tape is eaten or too filled with static to watch or when my last player craps out.
Frank Provasek

Dallas, TX

#3 Dec 25, 2008
This article is misleading, and refers only to PRERECORDED MOVIES on VHS cassettes. New VHS recorders continue to be produced by such major manufacturers as Sony and Panasonic, (many with new digital tuners) and blank tapes will continue to be made for many years.
video fan

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Dec 25, 2008
I notice the local Blockbuster stores are dumping their last remaining stock of used VHS movies at $0.99 each. Picked up a fair number at that price, just as cheap as renting their "family" movies and I get re-watch them later at my convenience.

Since: Mar 08

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Dec 26, 2008
Everyone should get a VCR because there are thousands of movies you missed and can get them second hand now for $1 or $2.

Plus it's not dead because those tapes can be reused hundreds of times and the recorders and players are still in force because countless millions of security cameras depend on it.

You only need a few blank tapes anyway because it is illegal to keep a recording off of TV for more than 30 days so that is what probably put them out of business anyway.

These tapes and recorders are also still being manufactured by the millions and there are warehouses full of them.

It's no where near dead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palm Harbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News CCHR Florida Invites the Public to Learn the Hi... 20 hr Gold Mask 2
Onyums (Nov '14) Jun 19 anonymous 105
News Terri Schiavo's Painful Deprivation of Food and... (Mar '09) Jun 7 hornback12 1,223
News Trinity Town Center developer Planes faces felo... (Feb '11) Jun 4 Sub Contractor 2
News Two boys arrested for setting brush fire (May '07) Sep '16 LSGhoodrats 2
Review: Hollywood Smile Center (Mar '14) Sep '16 More of the same 16
10 Yard Drop Off Trailer (Feb '09) Jul '16 droptrailers 3

Palm Harbor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Palm Harbor Mortgages