Lesson: The best-laid retirement plan...

Lesson: The best-laid retirement plans melt down

There are 3 comments on the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin story from Sep 23, 2009, titled Lesson: The best-laid retirement plans melt down. In it, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin reports that:

Planning for retirement has never been as complicated - or as important - as it is now.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

Saver

United States

#1 Sep 24, 2009
I don't understand the thinking of why people who have relatively high incomes should expect to have to replace most of their incomes in retirement. If you save your money, pay off your mortgage, and don't live a lavish lifestyle (e.g., expensive cars), you can get by with much less income.

Purchase a home in a reasonably nice area when the market is down. Then pay more on your mortgage every month. This way you can retire your mortgage much earlier than if you go the whole 30 years. Once your home is paid off, you can save more aggressively for retirement and kids college.
uncle_vito

Ontario, CA

#3 Sep 24, 2009
Don't worry about how much money you have when you retire. When you retire, look at your bank account. See it. That is what you got.

I could live in a mansion or a trailer. I do not care.

I have a financial planner and for a rediculous amount of money each year, I am doing pretty good in the stock market. I had $1.5 million before this meltdown and it went to $1M. I can still retire on $1M? right. Where is the problem. I am back to $1.2M and will retire when I get to about $2M.

I do not care if that is enough or not. I am retiring and then firing my fianacial planner. I could live for 6 mos on what I pay her.

I have stock tip for you. Buy APPLE AAPL, you cannot lose with Steve Jobs.

Also Obama is an idiot.

Vito
halkshaw

Compton, CA

#4 Sep 25, 2009
Health care is the big issue if your paying it. Ifyou work for a company and you lose your job in 36 month your on your own if your in your 50s the insuance companies are going to try and get your retirement fund. Many of the 401ks are down many people who have pesion will not be able to collect the full amount planed. If the Government gives the undocumented folks a free pass this will hurt Social Security which does nothave the funds to pay people who paid in to it all their life. American Citizens are dying becausethey do not have health care. If you treat simple problems they will stay simple. Keep your work force healthy they will work longer. For many the American Dream is gone you can thank the health care industry for that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palm Harbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Church (sic) of scientology is RACIST! Aug 18 BizzyBee 1
Surviving Scientology Aug 15 yes 5
Is Robert D Francis of Clearwater a Conman? Aug 13 MILCOM 1
News Clearwater Council defends meetings with Church... Aug 10 Python Swoope 2
Prescriptions for pain medicine (May '14) Aug 7 Carrot Top 7
Areas to avoid in Clearwater (Jul '10) Aug 6 marclister 76
PASTOR RICE is trying to save Clearwater from cos! Aug 1 Python Swoope 1

Palm Harbor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance