Fighting 9-Year-Old Handcuffed

Fighting 9-Year-Old Handcuffed

There are 13 comments on the The Ledger story from Feb 12, 2010, titled Fighting 9-Year-Old Handcuffed. In it, The Ledger reports that:

Published: Friday, February 12, 2010 at 7:51 a.m. Last Modified: Friday, February 12, 2010 at 7:51 a.m. CLEARWATER An off-duty Pinellas County sheriff's deputy broke up a playground scuffle by handcuffing a 9-year-old boy and seating him in the back of a patrol car, according to police and witness reports.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Ledger.

Mom of 3 boys

Clearwater, FL

#1 Feb 12, 2010
Children are younger and younger fighting in violent ways. It is scary to even send your children to school. Fights break out over silly things at times. The first thing people do is complain about the police not doing their jobs. Then when they are in the right place to break up a fight, they are not performing their duty properly.I suppose if the deputy just let the fight continue there will be other people complaining that he was there and did nothing. If the child was not fighting to begin with, there would not be any issues to complain about.
Supervision of your children and teaching them self control would be a great idea. I can say if this was my child that this happened to, I would be happy that children see that there are consequences for their actions so they do not grow up with the violence escalating into adulthood.
trey

Fort Myers, FL

#2 Feb 18, 2010
police are such wimps today... what happened to handling a situation with decorum. the problem is that in today's world there is no honor on the police force. just a bunch of lazy uneducated blobs running around shooting tasers at old folks and children.

the police officer was right to intervene... he just did it in a stupid way. way to go LEO... one more child that will grow up not to trust the police.
Jen

Parrish, FL

#3 Feb 18, 2010
trey wrote:
police are such wimps today... what happened to handling a situation with decorum. the problem is that in today's world there is no honor on the police force. just a bunch of lazy uneducated blobs running around shooting tasers at old folks and children.
the police officer was right to intervene... he just did it in a stupid way. way to go LEO... one more child that will grow up not to trust the police.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe they were trying to teach him a lesson? I'd like to see you be a cop for one day- then let's see you call them lazy blobs. People who write stupid comments like yours are the lazy uneducated blobs.
adamshuff07

Portsmouth, OH

#4 Feb 18, 2010
hey
dee mcmicheals

Zephyrhills, FL

#5 Feb 18, 2010
THEY that CHILDREN ARE BROUGHT UP WITH N0 RESPECT FOR ANYONE AND/OR ANYTHING.....and they also have access to guns and what ever ....maybe this is just what the kid need to teach him that he is responsible for his actions ....not his parents...his friends...ect but ..if he does the crime he will do the time..a few minutes in the back of the car....or years in the big house....
dee mcmicheals

Zephyrhills, FL

#6 Feb 18, 2010
PLEASE DO NOT LET DCF AND THE BLEEDING HEARTS WHO DO NOT HAVE KIDS.....BUT CAN TELL US WHO DO HOW TO RAISE THEM...SITE THE POLICEMAN WITH BATTERY ....AND TAKE HIS FAMILY AWAY FROM HIM....WHILE THEY LET MEN WHO HAVE BEATTEN KIDS/WIFES THROW BABIES FROM CAR WONDOWS...only to say oops.
pat

Palmetto, FL

#7 Feb 20, 2010
If someone that new how to stop a child (mine too),
took that step to get things quieted down.(Id be greatful).Because the kids needed to be spoken to.
PERHASPS, now they wount endup looking through fences and bars.
Maybe, thats the only time,them kids seen aman act as a man.HE COULD HAVE ACTED REAL FOOLISH.Peper sprayed em.Hit on them with nightsick etc.
Thanks to the officer.
Vinny

Homosassa, FL

#8 Feb 21, 2010
If the kid is acting like this I'm sure the parents are the biggest Savages on the block. Enverone is quick to blame school administrators or the Police. Parents of these young Hoddlums need to be held accountable
Brother

Clearwater, FL

#9 Feb 22, 2010
This cop needs to fired. Any cop that comes after me or my family will surely regret it.
abusivemomfl1158

Saint Petersburg, FL

#10 Mar 8, 2010
YEAAA for police officer. That BRAT needed to be handcuffd and sat in Police car... Show him that is not right to fight... When that kid grows up I bet he will abuse someone or kill someone. About we get TUFF on kids... US parents cant hit them w/o HRS coming to house
Sean in Tarpon

Holiday, FL

#11 Mar 9, 2010
Why in the world are people complaining about the police doing their job? The kid was acting like an animal and the cop had no choice but to restrain him with handcuffs. If that's the only way to get the little turd under control then so be it. The kid brought it on himself and had every opportunity to calm himself down and listen to authority. The parents of that boy could probably use an exercise in learning and teaching respect since I'm sure they are just as bad as the child.
Ranger

Charlotte, NC

#12 Apr 16, 2010
Sometimes the best and most effective way to teach a kid a lesson is to let him or her experience the consequence of his or her behavior on a small scale. Sounds like this officer did a fine job doing that.
And the parents of those wayward kids who claim a cop will surely regret teaching their child what they themselves are unwilling to do can one day visit that kid in the prison system and whine, "He's innocent," and "It's somebody else's fault I refused to accept responsibility."
GOODFELLA SONNY BLACK

Pontiac, MI

#13 Apr 22, 2010
Mom of 3 boys wrote:
Children are younger and younger fighting in violent ways. It is scary to even send your children to school. Fights break out over silly things at times. The first thing people do is complain about the police not doing their jobs. Then when they are in the right place to break up a fight, they are not performing their duty properly.I suppose if the deputy just let the fight continue there will be other people complaining that he was there and did nothing. If the child was not fighting to begin with, there would not be any issues to complain about.
Supervision of your children and teaching them self control would be a great idea. I can say if this was my child that this happened to, I would be happy that children see that there are consequences for their actions so they do not grow up with the violence escalating into adulthood.
bEHEADING IS APPROVED!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palm Harbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Urban Survival Gear LLC Launches Based On Lates... Fri David 1
Areas to avoid in Clearwater (Jul '10) Aug 28 Mike 69
Review: Clearwater Bankruptcy Aug 27 Lourdes456 1
Review: 10 Minute Locksmith (Oct '14) Aug 24 Raylin Sutter 4
News Why Does John Travolta Live in Ocala, Fla.? (Jan '09) Aug 23 Ricky 66
Fishing for Big Tarpon in North Florida Aug 22 cc project 1
Motorcycle rentals Aug 18 learning from the... 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Palm Harbor Mortgages