The search for the perfect Cuban sand...

The search for the perfect Cuban sandwich

There are 71 comments on the St. Petersburg Times story from Dec 5, 2006, titled The search for the perfect Cuban sandwich. In it, St. Petersburg Times reports that:

Andy Huse has been hard-pressed to find a proper Cuban sandwich, even in Ybor City, its birthplace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at St. Petersburg Times.

“America la bella!!”

Since: Jan 07

que Dios te bendiga

#24 May 11, 2008
WE JUST DONT CARE wrote:
<quoted text>
Marie!
It seems that our frienf Amelita is a little confused about the history of our world famous 'Sanwhich Cubano'!
The Cuban sandwich was first prepared in Cuba in the XVI Century and brought to Tampa by Cuban cigar workers in the 1800's.About Miami!Cuban sandwiches were already being munched in Cuba and in Tampa when Miami was still only an orange grove!In Tampa the Italians liked to add Salami to their Cuban sandwiches,but that can only be call an inbreed,but not a real Cuban Sanwich!
In Cuba, the sandwich was not known as a Cuban sandwich, but simply called 'sandwich.' Since it was made in Cuba with Cuban bread there was no need to name it Cuban sandwich. Not so much that the Cuban bread in Cuba was not called Cuban bread, simply it is called bread. The sandwich has been a Cuban tradition since the early 1500's. In fact before the Cuban cigar makers came to Tampa they lived in Key West.
Cubans also had the ham which was brought by the Spaniards, and the cheese that was also brought by the Spaniards. Also at the time of the discovery, the original inhabitants of Cuba, the Taino/Arakaks, were making cheese. The traditional Cuban sandwich had evolved into the delicacy we know today, however not in Tampa, but to the Cubans in the island who took better than 400 years to make this delicacy perfect and allow all of us to enjoy the fruit of their expertise in sandwich making.
In Cuba when regular ham was not available or was to expensive, jamonada was used (this is more along the lines of chopped ham). Also in past centuries when bread was not available, casabe (a crispy flat bread made from cassava or yuca flour) was a logical substitute. This happened primarily in the Oriente province, not so much in the central provinces. The main reason why this happened mainly in Oriente is because the Taino influence was stronger in that area.
Another aspect of the Cuban sandwich is that for the most part what makes it different is " La Plancha" this is a unit that toasts the sandwich to make it crispy and warm. Also, the best bread is called the water bread, which toasts better in " La Plancha."
"
Exactly...My Mom is next to me..you know she is 85 but very clear mind and smart..she tells me that as early as the sugar cane mills tarting in Cuba the sandwich and tamales was the almuerzo for the workers almost everyday at the Batey. And the cuban cheese was more an Alpine cheese style, not baby swiss. a special cheese only made for the cuban sandwiches..to me is more like Fontina cheese but not really.
dbr

Tampa, FL

#25 May 11, 2008
best "cuban" is from my kitchen i'm told lol
amelita

Saint Petersburg, FL

#26 May 20, 2008
It seems that our frienf Amelita is a little confused about the history of our world famous 'Sanwhich Cubano'!
Where did you get your data, I would like to read this info. Yes I'm proud of what we offer to the public here. I never claim to be the best but I guarantee we're in the top ten or I'll give you your money back, but I will reserve the right to call you a liar! I grew up in Tampa in fact my grandfather was one of those that came from Cuba in the 1800's. He also sold the bakery (La Seguda Central) the land on which it stands today. They are the only ones that still use brick ovens, makes a big difference. And yes the origanal recipe for the bread came from Cuba, and I'm sure someone made a sandwich with that style bread. But the Cuban that we know today originated in Ybor City. So when you come to St Pete, be sure to look me up and we can discuss this futher. As for Andy Huse, I'm still waiting for him to get his Butt in here so I can show him he's full of ##$@. And as for the debate between Miami and Tampa Cubans, I've been arguing my side for almost 60 years. I lived it,did you? My first job was delivering Tobacco to all the old cigar makers in Ybor and West Tampa. I grew up listening to the stories of the old guys sitting around. The History I know was handed down from generation to generation. Like la plancha was never used on Cubans until the Columbia opened a store in St Augustine and couldn't get the fresh bread up there daily. So they started pressing them so people wouldn't know the bread wasn' fresh. That's all I have for now. Come see me and prove me wrong.
amelita

Saint Petersburg, FL

#27 May 20, 2008
Marie in Miami Fl wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly...My Mom is next to me..you know she is 85 but very clear mind and smart..she tells me .
Again we are talking about different things. My Mother is 84 and born in Ybor City. She is the youmgest of 7 Kids. Yes they made sandwiches with that bread but it wasn't the cuban sandwich we know today.

“America la bella!!”

que Dios te bendiga

#28 May 20, 2008
amelita wrote:
<quoted text>
Again we are talking about different things. My Mother is 84 and born in Ybor City. She is the youmgest of 7 Kids. Yes they made sandwiches with that bread but it wasn't the cuban sandwich we know today.
Hi Amelita..I am planing to visit there soon. I am pretty sure your sandwiches are real good...I will let you know.
Peter

Miami Beach, FL

#29 May 20, 2008
Marie in Miami Fl wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry Peter but Sarussi is not a real Cuban sandwich....it taste good, but it has chorizo and alot of greese in it. Thet were good back 1984, today they are allready made just waitting for a client to heat them in 'la plancha' and...Where is the meat? And the place itself have stinks...It is nice for a rainy day.
No Marie ,you can have a regular Cuban Sandwich as back in the early 70s, My mother still lives 1 block from there have being for 48 years and it is still the same owners, just ask for a regular Cuban Sandwich, Ham Cheese and baked pork(Pierna) and pickles.

“America la bella!!”

que Dios te bendiga

#30 May 21, 2008
Peter wrote:
<quoted text>
No Marie ,you can have a regular Cuban Sandwich as back in the early 70s, My mother still lives 1 block from there have being for 48 years and it is still the same owners, just ask for a regular Cuban Sandwich, Ham Cheese and baked pork(Pierna) and pickles.
Ok I will Peter
Peter

Miami Beach, FL

#31 May 21, 2008
Pan Con Chorizo is also good, but Latin American restaurants make a mean cuban Sandwich , specially the one in West 68 Street in Hialeah.

Since: Feb 07

Miami-The Magic City

#32 May 22, 2008
peter wrote:
Sarussi restaurant Calle Ocho y 69 ave.
The Best sandwich ever
Sarussi has my vote!
kim m

United States

#33 Jun 19, 2010
Unquestionably the WORST service I have ever had at 6797 location. Horrible staff. Acted like they didn't care we were there. Food was good when it finally came but mi one bothered to check us until we were done. We were the only ones there. I understand why. Mistake going there

“HURT ME & MAKE ME STRONGER!”

Since: Nov 08

Where Freedom Dwells!

#34 Jun 19, 2010
Eyes Open wrote:
<quoted text>
Sarussi has my vote!
WE JUST DONT CARE wrote:
EL PERRITO CUBANO:
Un Cubano se va de cacería al África y lleva a su perrito Viralata.
Un día, el perrito se aleja del grupo, se extravía y comienza a vagar solo por la selva. En eso ve a lo lejos que viene una pantera enorme a toda carrera.
Al ver que la pantera lo va a devorar, piensa rápido qué hacer.
En eso ve un montón de huesos de un animal muerto y empieza a mordisquearlos.
Cuando la pantera está a punto de atacarlo, el perrito dice:
-¡¡¡Ah, qué rica pantera me acabo de comer!!!
La pantera lo alcanza a escuchar y frenando en seco, gira y sale despavorida pensando:
¡¡¡¿Quién sabe qué animal será ese!!. A ver si me come a mí también???!!!
Cherokee que andaba trepado en un árbol cercano, oyó y vio la escena. Sin más salió corriendo tras la pantera para contarle cómo la había engañado el perrito:
¡Pantera pendeja. Esos huesos ya estaban ahí! Además, es sólo un simple perrito!
La pantera, encojoná, sale corriendo a buscar al perrito con el mono montado en el lomo.
El perrito ve a lo lejos que viene nuevamente la pantera con Cherokee y se da cuenta de que este último había ido con el chisme.
¿Y ahora, qué hago?- piensa todo asustado.
Entonces, en vez de salir corriendo, se queda sentado dándoles la espalda, como si no los hubiera visto, y cuando la pantera estaba cerca de atacarlo de nuevo, el perrito exclama:
¡¡¡ Ese indio hijueputa !!!!!!!. Hace como media hora que lo mandé a traerme otra pantera y todavía no aparece!!!
MORALEJA:
EN MOMENTOS DE CRISIS, SÓLO LA IMAGINACIÓN ES MÁS IMPORTANTE QUE EL CONOCIMIENTO.
1.... Procura ser imaginativo como el PERRITO.
2... Evita ser pendejo como la PANTERA.
3... Y nunca, pero nunca, seas un chismoso hijueputa como Cherokee !!!!!!
L O L !
Don from Canada T

Newton, NJ

#35 Sep 22, 2013
I the REAL Don from Canada am tired of Jill aka Curious George" aka Patus Maximus etc uses many many different names....

This individual is an islamofascist/communist terrorist who comes here to discredit honest people and badmouth and criticize the USA all the while glorifying communists, islamofascists, and anything that is antiAmerican.

I (the real Don am a Canadian that lives in the USA, like many others)am Don Donatello Valente, people call me Don from Canada because they know I am originally Canadian.

This troll(the fake Don) is using a proxy to post from Canada in order to appear to be the legitimate individual.

Now you tell me, if your name is Bob, and you live in the USA, would they call you Bob from USA?

How about if your name is Bob, and you live in...ANYWHERE ELSE BUT THE USA, and there are other Bobs there, how likely is it, that they would call you Bob from USA?

Get my point!

I am the real Don, that islamofascist terrorist from Canada(where unfortunately we have many recent arrivals from middle eastern islamic countries)is a fake a phony and a fraud....it might be a she, on previous postings was known as "Jill".
Guyaba

Bucharest, Romania

#36 Sep 22, 2013
WE JUST DONT CARE wrote:
YES THEY ARE FREE OF DOMINANCE BY THE UNITED STATES, AND CAPIOALISM, THEY ARE VICTIMS OF COMMUNISM , AND A CRAZY DICTATOR,THEY ARE ALREADY SUFFERING ENOUGHT
Your post was 7 years ago .
You and your junta have not done a thing to liberate Cuba but fleece the tax payer with failed self serving Radio Marti nonsense and other assorted Cuba libre farce that suck USA tax money as you scream about every other Hispanic group.

Countless Cuba libre' charades down calle ocho in these 7 years and the Castro's laugh at you.

I hope another 7 years go by because the last thing Cuba needs is your politically corrupt bunch back in power.

Your politicians are worse than organized crime , You have been a political cancer for Miami .

May God have mercy on all your souls.
Don from Canada T

Newton, NJ

#37 Sep 22, 2013
Guyaba wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post was 7 years ago .
You and your junta have not done a thing to liberate Cuba but fleece the tax payer with failed self serving Radio Marti nonsense and other assorted Cuba libre farce that suck USA tax money as you scream about every other Hispanic group.
Countless Cuba libre' charades down calle ocho in these 7 years and the Castro's laugh at you.
I hope another 7 years go by because the last thing Cuba needs is your politically corrupt bunch back in power.
Your politicians are worse than organized crime , You have been a political cancer for Miami .
May God have mercy on all your souls.
mojon, your drivel is recognizable...are you in Romania or is this another one of your proxies.
Guyaba

Bucharest, Romania

#38 Sep 22, 2013
Don from Canada T wrote:
<quoted text>mojon, your drivel is recognizable...are you in Romania or is this another one of your proxies.
I do not think we know each other but to answer your question ,I am a Latino living in Romania but know very well of the Miami Cubans political corruption, it is your calling card.
Guyaba

Bucharest, Romania

#39 Sep 22, 2013
Don from Canada T wrote:
<quoted text>mojon, your drivel is recognizable...are you in Romania or is this another one of your proxies.
I do not believe we have met. I am a Latina living in Romania .

Even here we are aware of your Miami Cuban political corruption, It is the Cuban calling card.

As a Christian woman, I know that it was Gods will that your ilk be kicked out of Cuba.
Don from Canada T

Newton, NJ

#40 Sep 22, 2013
Guyaba wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not think we know each other but to answer your question ,I am a Latino living in Romania but know very well of the Miami Cubans political corruption, it is your calling card.
Actually, Romanians are probably more Latino tha you claim to be mojon. The carry Rome's blood and culture, you? You are a brownazz acomplejado, mojon!

“End Communism!”

Since: Jul 08

Wherever Freedom Dwells!

#41 Sep 22, 2013
Guyaba wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Romanians are part Latin. You are an aborigene, not latino.

“Its all in the mind..or is it?”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#42 Sep 22, 2013
you Cubans don't even know what your bread was used for.
Remember "La plancha"?

You corrupt Cubans were selling old bread as fresh, typical

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#43 Sep 22, 2013
Cherokee wrote:
you Cubans don't even know what your bread was used for.
Remember "La plancha"?
You corrupt Cubans were selling old bread as fresh, typical
Eres un imbecio ignorante.La plancha se pone bien caliente y en ella pone el sanwich menos de un minuto y es solo para que se caliente la corteza y no tiene nada con hacer mas fresco al pan.Animal

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palm Harbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor accused of fondling another woman (Oct '07) 21 hr Sarah 37
Onyums (Nov '14) Fri anonymous 34
Stop the Illegal Alien Pope Train Jun 22 Go Blue Forever 17
Dishonest Divine Motors (Jul '15) Jun 20 mcmambo 8
News Dunedin firefighters respond to garage explosion Jun 14 Victim 1
loud noise (Feb '07) Jun 10 Kat 7
Review: Hollywood Smile Center (Mar '14) May '16 ticked off 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Palm Harbor Mortgages